Page 21 of 59 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Latest Tatort was crazy. Tatort has become a ritual for me and my wife in the last years. It's on every Sunday.

Which makes me wonder if there is any other show that is so much covered in the media. Just to give you a short overview of the last episode:

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/f...story/13924013
    http://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/fernseh...weg-1.18399843
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleto...-13200943.html

And "Der Spiegel" on-line alone has 5 articles:
    http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/tato...-a-995668.html
    http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/tato...-a-994927.html
    http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/tato...-a-996811.html
    http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/tato...-a-996848.html
    http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/tv/tato...-a-996359.html
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I used to watch Tatort when I was young, but haven't seen a single episode the last 10 years. Did notice it gets a lot of coverage in the German press though.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    <snip>
    You appear to have forgotten a very essential element; everybody still alive is infected. Being around living people holds a certain risk in it too.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I used to watch Tatort when I was young, but haven't seen a single episode the last 10 years. Did notice it gets a lot of coverage in the German press though.
    It somehow grew over the last few years. They also give out each episode to the press a week before to make previews.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

I decided to give Madam Secretary a go - it's not terrible. I'm not yet convinced it has staying power, either with me or with whatever type of viewers it is that excites the advertising people, though.

Anything worth watching in the other new programs for this season?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Homeland Series 4.

Despite the fact that this should have ended after Series 2, and Amurikan teevee loves to flog those dead horses till there ain't nothin but dust on them bones, the series opener was fairly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Homeland Series 4.

Despite the fact that this should have ended after Series 2, and Amurikan teevee loves to flog those dead horses till there ain't nothin but dust on them bones, the series opener was fairly good.
    Didn't have time to finish watching the premiere, but the bit I saw had a lot of deja vu to it. Liked The Walking Dead premiere, happy too that Sanctuary isn't going to be where it all happens for the season.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Homeland Series 4.

I think the brody story was pushed beyond its limits, the new episodes seem like a new story, I like it so far.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

The last episode of Doctor Who was the first good one of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I think the brody story was pushed beyond its limits, the new episodes seem like a new story, I like it so far.
    He was originally supposed to die in the season 1 finale.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    He was originally supposed to die in the season 1 finale.
    I sort of missed season 3, but I presume he's dead by now?
    Congratulations America

Yep - they dragged it on and on through series 3, at the end of which he was hanged in Iran.

Series 4 might be better because of it. The whole is Brody a good guy or bad guy was good for Series 1, but got more and more ridiculous, particularly with Carrie getting the horn for him. The plot became twisted to the point of idiocy.

Now we might get back to something better. I always liked the Carrie / Saul interplay, and it looks like Saul will feature just as much in Series 4. Quin too, another character I enjoy.

Second season of Alpha House today. It was fucking fantastic, if entirely to short.

Yeah, I could see 4 episodes so far of Alpha House. What really annoys me is that amazon has got this silverlight limitation so I am forced to watch in on my pc here in Amsterdam. (Amazon won't work on my apple TV here in Amsterdam, it will work on my DVD player in Istanbul, but there the DVD player is connected to a 12 inch monitor in my bedroom.

I really hope that one day in the near future studios will finally understand their distribution system is really no longer making any sense.
    Congratulations America

Constantine had a pretty decent first episode. Could wind up being good.

I'm rather enjoying The Affair - the differences in point-of-view about shared experiences are interesting, as is the different buiildups for each of them. I'm just about to start the third episode.

What I'm not necessarily digging, though is the
    Spoiler:
    Obvious foreshadowing of a crime; without knowing exactly what it is that happens at some point in the future it feels like it is taking away from the story of their tortured minds and the flawed realtionships that led to the affair at all.

Love the setting, too.

Started watching Season 2 of Arrow after Felicity showed up on The Flash. Okay so first of all, the cast and the writers of Arrow are just so much better than the ones on Flash, so much so that just by touching the Flash they made Barry Allen's antics more enjoyable (okay The Flash has been improving slowly on its own too). I've really missed Felicity btw, she's a great character and I'd like for her and Barry to hook up just so she could spend more time on his dumb show

Enjoying the 2nd season of Arrow very much, although I foresee much emo drama and am honestly not so keen on Sebastian Blood or Black Canary atm.

Oh yeah, saw the third series of Sherlock too and holy crap that show just gets better and better and WHY CAN'T I JUST GET MORE EPS NAO
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I gave Arrow a shot when it first came out, decided I didn't like it, and moved on. But over the summer I ended up catching the last 1/3 of the 2nd season and I did find it MUCH improved. I dropped Flash after two episodes but I'm going to keep watching Arrow. I don't think improving writing is enough to make Flash decent. Grant Gustin needs a strong supporting cast and he doesn't have it.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I've become strangely enamored of Lilyhammer. But just seen one season. Can't get The Other to watch Season 2.

Season 2 of Arrow was so awesome that I couldn't decide whether to have faith in the show's future or prepare myself for the inevitable onset of Season 3 Syndrome, the terrible illness that's as sure to afflict my favourite shows as winter is to follow summer and autumn. Eight minutes into s03e01, I had hope held in a firm grip and was beginning to relax, WHEN SUDDENLY...

ARGH!

The writing and direction took a turn for the cheesy towards the last quarter of the season, and the finale didn't really live up to the standard set by the season 1 finale. Nevertheless, Arrow's probably my favourite live action comic book production right now. The core cast has been great, both in terms of writing and acting, and it's nice to have a show where most supporting characters are pretty solid. Laurel was just frickin' annoying or depressing for most of the season but I don't think I'll ever come to like hr character. Black Canary however turned out to be awesome, esp. when not in costume Felicity's probably my favourite "sidekick" ever, and I dunno how much of that is due to the writing as opposed to the actress's own touch. Diggle continues to make the most of his few lines and has a great chemistry with the others. The action-sequences remain top-notch for the most part. Roy has his ups and downs, but I liked his character for most of the season. Moira is on a fairly short list of characters I find compelling despite disliking them. She's a match for Mrs. Petrelli in this season Brother Blood was used to good effect and I even managed to overcome my hatred of Summer Glau the Ever Present. Slade was among my favourite characters up until the final quarter when he became a little too cartoonish. The rogues were decent, apart from a couple of circus clowns. Deadshot was awesome

I don't wanna spoil the season too much but if you enjoyed much of season 1 and haven't seen season 2 yet I can definitely recommend it. The production is top-notch, the cast has gelled together really well and the stupid-ball doesn't see much action, which is unusual for these kinds of shows

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I gave Arrow a shot when it first came out, decided I didn't like it, and moved on. But over the summer I ended up catching the last 1/3 of the 2nd season and I did find it MUCH improved. I dropped Flash after two episodes but I'm going to keep watching Arrow. I don't think improving writing is enough to make Flash decent. Grant Gustin needs a strong supporting cast and he doesn't have it.
    I think you are being too charitable to Arrow. I watch it with my wife as 'background' stuff, mostly because it's essentially a low-cost 45 minutes of Batman-esque television every week. But it's a deeply flawed show - pretty poor acting in most cases, some truly cringe-worthy writing, and character development that is as transparent as it is nonsensical. There are a few bright spots, but it isn't really good television - in particular, Stephen Amell has a very wooden delivery (nearly a flat affect!) and seems to have been chosen for how he looks with his shirt off; a few side characters are all right, but many of them are also fairly lackluster performances. (I would apply the same analysis to The Flash, though I'm still giving it a few bye-weeks to let them get settled into the show.) It's mildly fun, but that's about it. If you have limited television watching time, there are oodles more shows that are far better.

In the vein of superhero television, I've been watching Gotham with mixed feelings. I think several of the performances are quite good (they didn't skimp on actors like the CW did) and I enjoy their gritty but not cartoonish Gotham, but I'm less enamored with the really obvious development of various villains, and I'm not convinced a procedural drama format is going to age well in this context.

One thing I don't get about Arrow: Why is it that whenever he's captured, the villains take his shirt off? Do they think that's the source of his powers?

I call that Teen Wolf Syndrome
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I call that Teen Wolf Syndrome
    And that's bad because...?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I didn't say it was, but I'm only a season and a half into teen wolf and the whole shirtless thing has already turned into a drinking game between us.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Sounds like a party I want to be at.

Add whenever there is a fight in the locker room, or see a lacrosse item...should be blasted in 20 min.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Hmmm seems I'm missing some prime TV
    Congratulations America

Amell is seemingly kinda wooden but once you familiarise yourself with his character in the show it's not difficult to see or hear the nuanced expression of feelings and personality esp when he's out of costume or back on the island. It varies with the script and direction but I've been very happy with his acting in season 2. I figure he's basically just playing a dark superhero version of himself much like Chris Pratt seems to be a goofy spacefaring version of himself in GoG

Helix.

Anyone seen it? Worth watching? Apparently it hasn't been cancelled yet, wondering if it's because it's good or because Syfy has nothing else going for them anymore.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I talked about that one some pages back. It's always astounding when they depict supposedly highly trained scientists with a background in viral/bacterial outbreaks as bloody morons.
    Last edited by Khendraja'aro; 01-05-2015 at 10:28 PM.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?