Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

House of Cards, which I've had sitting in box-set form for a while now unwatched.

Four episodes in, and the intrigue is starting to build. It's good.

The comments to camera by Spacey are a little unnerving at first, but I'm starting to enjoy them. It seems an interesting device for portraying his thoughts and motivations to the viewer.

I just realised that I stopped liking Law and Order SVU, American puritanism is way too heavy on the hand in this series. It invokes the same feelings as when Dr Phil tries to convince people that an 18 y.o. who had sex with his 17 y.o. girlfriend is and will always be a dangerous sexual predator.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    House of Cards, which I've had sitting in box-set form for a while now unwatched.

Four episodes in, and the intrigue is starting to build. It's good.

The comments to camera by Spacey are a little unnerving at first, but I'm starting to enjoy them. It seems an interesting device for portraying his thoughts and motivations to the viewer.
    Season 3 is to be published at the end of this month.
    Congratulations America

the canadian incarnation of masterchef is the worst yet
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I just realised that I stopped liking Law and Order SVU, American puritanism is way too heavy on the hand in this series. It invokes the same feelings as when Dr Phil tries to convince people that an 18 y.o. who had sex with his 17 y.o. girlfriend is and will always be a dangerous sexual predator.
    This season has definitely been sub-par.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Season 3 is to be published at the end of this month.
    Yep I saw.

Spacey's character, Underwood, is turning out to be a real lowlife scumbag, halfway through season 1.

I love FU
    Congratulations America

Ditto.
    Hope is the denial of reality

FU?

Is Gotham any good by the way? It's just starting on TV here, wonder if I should make an effort to watch it.

Also saw that there's a 12 monkeys series now, I loved the film but am afraid it will be disappointing. Review I checked mentioned some of the parts I loved about the film are missing from the show. And it's syfy...
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Gotham's actually decent, as long as you're not hardcore about them being faithful to the Batman canon. They get pretty hamfisted about the links to said canon too - they don't just spell it out, they jump up and down screaming it at you. Beyond that though, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Gotham's actually decent, as long as you're not hardcore about them being faithful to the Batman canon. They get pretty hamfisted about the links to said canon too - they don't just spell it out, they jump up and down screaming it at you. Beyond that though, it's good.
    I don't know the canon well at all (basically just the movies), I'll check it out. Thx!

Saw it last night (edit: it = Man in the High Castle). It surprised me by being there. It was good, though. Very high quality, and from the internet reviews, I'm sure they'll wind up picking it up for a full series.

Also watching Constantine. It's pretty good, although sadly it's not getting any network support and thus is floundering in the ratings.
    Last edited by Wraith; 01-19-2015 at 12:24 AM.

I second Wraith on Gotham. I watched a few episodes on the plane. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't too cliched, the plot was interesting, and the acting was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    FU?

Saw it last night (edit: it = Man in the High Castle). It surprised me by being there. It was good, though. Very high quality, and from the internet reviews, I'm sure they'll wind up picking it up for a full series.
    I watched it, and will probably watch it if it gets picked up as a series. It wasn't quite right, but it definitely seems worth giving it a go. Agreed that it is high quality, makes me wish I had watched it on the television screen instead of my monitor.

My guess is that the very played up American resistance is because they were afraid viewers would be horrified otherwise.

hmm... this is another one of those series where near everything happens at night ?
    Congratulations America

The only new show that I don't feel like it's setting me up for disappointment and frustration is Agent Carter, and only barely. Teevee sucks right now
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The Man in the High Castle is the first Amazon series I had any interest in. Anyone know how long it usually takes between the pilot and the first season?

No clue, I have never payed attention to the pilots before.

The Man in the High Castle is the first Amazon series I had any interest in. Anyone know how long it usually takes between the pilot and the first season?
    I had a look at last year's crop, and it ranges from 7 months to 11 months.

Pete Russo died

Thought he was a main character who'd go the distance. Slightly tragic character, but I liked him.

Got around to watching Fargo, liked it a lot. I also loved the movie, by the way. Interesting characters, again, and well acted , well filmed, good plot.

Little nitpick:
    Spoiler:
    Lester is in the hospital after the murder of his wife, knocked out, coming from a crime scene with two dead, including a shooting, and no doctor or nurse noticed the wound on his hand?

From a cable subscriber pov, TV really does suck! I'm lucky to have kids that can show me better alternatives, like Netflix or X-Box, and 'hacks' in between.

What really sucks, IMO, are the "reality TV" shows.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    From a cable subscriber pov, TV really does suck! I'm lucky to have kids that can show me better alternatives, like Netflix or X-Box, and 'hacks' in between.

What really sucks, IMO, are the "reality TV" shows.
    Most of the reality TV shows everyone knows are completely 100% scripted.

But when a reality TV show you thought had SOME element of surprise in it actually turns out to be mostly or entirely a fraud, it's just disappointing... like Pawn Stars or Gold Rush: Alaska, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    From a cable subscriber pov, TV really does suck!
    I cancelled my cable some time ago, and haven't once regretted it. I get all my TV from streaming now.

I cancelled my cable some time ago, and haven't once regretted it. I get all my TV from streaming now.
    Has your personal viewing preferences changed the quality or content of TV...for other people?

I don't think I understand the question. I can't will more good series into existence, but that's probably not what you're asking.

I get to watch the good stuff and skip the bad stuff, on my own schedule. I'm never really in a situation where I want to watch TV but there's nothing good on, because I have full control over what's on at any given time. I also only have to deal with commercials when I'm watching the most recent stuff on Hulu, and even that has much shorter commercial breaks than normal. I'm also paying a lot less than I was with cable, even with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime (the last of which I had anyways for the shipping - the TV is basically a free bonus).

I'm using a Roku, and can recommend it. I also have a smart tv downstairs, but the software on that thing is kinda shit, and I think the dumb tv + roku combination is a much better experience.

Oh, so you're not really commenting about TV per se. Or what I'd call TV in general.....which means the "stuff" aired/streamed in public places like airports or train stations. You're talking about the shows you want to watch, and how you can program your devices accordingly.

"TV" doesn't work that way for a vast majority of people just yet.