Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

BattleBots

You figure they would go for some new blood, fresh ideas, different faces when they're trying to bring back a competition show like this after more than a decade.
    You'd be wrong.

Still, worthy of an hour to wine down to with your usual over the time announcing style.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

First Peoples

The subject matter is so awesome, esp. the discoveries that have been made more recently using DNA-based methods, but the execution is... unfortunately kinda lame and shallow. And there's an extremely douchey-looking anthropologist in a fedora

But I'm gonna watch all episodes
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I've been watching Person of Interest lately - I'm almost done with season 3. I tried back when it first started, but got bored after a few episodes. It gets a lot better once it starts doing more serialized storylines.

New season of True Detective Up to the second episode. Intriguing so far, maybe a bit slow paced but I like it so far. The characters may be a bit over the top though, it's all a bit too much maybe. But very well made!
    Last edited by Flixy; 07-08-2015 at 12:02 AM.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Is anyone here watching Mr. Robot?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yes! I'm intrigued by the plot and its characters. (Hoodies haven't had such an impact since Facebook's CEO).

It's an interesting show with lots of twists and turns. The 'tech community' has said it's legitimate, so it's not just far-fetched fantasy entertainment.

Loving Hell on Wheels.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

TV has SUCKED even more since Trump declared his candidacy. When I surf cable channels, Trump shows up way too often. He's everywhere.

So the Ginger found Dr. Who on Netflix and we've been plowing through it for the past couple of weeks. It's been a lot of fun but I must confess that I am not enjoying Matt Smith's portrayal at all so far (early in the season, but still). I was looking forward to Amy because I'm a lech and also because I remember seeing some episodes with her that were pretty good, but, after Donna she's a bit of a letdown. The writing is a little rubbish, too and I'm too happy about the colorful Daleks.

Really love the show though and have no doubt it's gonna pick up again I love how they've managed to make things that should feel cheesy--to a modern viewer--feel genuinely scary or thrilling instead, eg. the Daleks with their goofy appearance.

Wait till Rory gets some screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I love how they've managed to make things that should feel cheesy--to a modern viewer--feel genuinely scary or thrilling instead, eg. the Daleks with their goofy appearance.
    Most Brits of my generation will have stories of being absolutely terrified of the Daleks as kids in the 60s & 70s. Considering they are based on a design with a shoestring BBC budget, including the use of sink plungers and the like, it's quite astonishing they've endured.

For my Dalek memories, it was with Tom Baker as Dr Who, from '73 to '81.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Really enjoying Jessica Jones so far, more than Daredevil tbh although DD had better action.

I'm only through episode 3 so far, but it's really good. I still have to do Man in the High Castle too.

The Man in the High Castle

Spoiler:
    A lot of divergence from the book, but still, it was really good. Stunning, visually, too.

The ending, though, was infuriating. I have not heard that they've already been given a go on another season, but they better be
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Jessica Jones is pretty good; the superhero garbage detracts from the plot, though. They would have had a really excellent show without that.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Jessica Jones is pretty good; the superhero garbage detracts from the plot, though. They would have had a really excellent show without that.
    Then it wouldn't be Jessica Jones? Are you thinking okay to have The Purple Man, but no other supers?

I was tickled to see major roles to two females and two (fine lookin' I might add) men of color.

David Tenent was a major win too.

I really liked the show as a whole, esp. the final third. This was mostly due to the awesome supporting cast and the overall story (minus the bits where people were being extra dumb). The action sequences aren't as satisfying as they were in Daredevil, but the story's more interesting and the villain way way better. The Daredevil tie-in towards the end was just really bad. I wish they hadn't done that because it was so awkward and the dialogue so lame and stilted.

I gotta admit I didn't really like Ritter's acting. Wasn't a big fan of Luke either. Still, I'll watch anything the Marvel/Netflix collaboration gives us

TV doesn't suck as much as the <paid> programming does. I found an old cooking show from the 40's (?) broadcast on a public network....and just when I got hooked, the channel stopped carrying it. But only for a few days. Then they started showing it again!

PS it was Dione Lucas, who pre-dates Julia Child.
    Last edited by GGT; 12-01-2015 at 05:15 AM.

I liked Jessica Jones, totally recommend it. The show was based on what I thought was really good material - the basic story is very solid. The show's not without it's flaws though; I feel like the writers came up with ten episodes of really solid story, and then someone reminded them that they were contracted for thirteen so they stuffed in a bunch of filler to make it as long as it needed to be. The female neighbor was also a detriment to the series - she ruined every scene she was in. I hope she doesn't make it to the next season, if there is one. I also could have done with less of Carrie-Anne Moss's sidestory. It had a decent payoff, but it mostly just seemed like a distraction.

As for comparisons to DD, I don't feel like it's fair to do a direct comparison. They feel like different genres of shows. They're both excellent, but a lot of the reasons are different. To me, JJ was a bit more engaging, but DD was more fun. I did appreciate JJ not abusing the green filter like DD did, though.

I agree. Two different shows. If Netflix tried making them too similar, then people would have asked: "Why not make more Daredevil sooner?"

This season of South Park was quite possibly the least funny ever.

Ditto, Jessica Jones was very good. Small nitpick is the location scouts were all over the place. Curious if/when they are going to try mashing-up that show with Daredevil.

Just finished the series finale of the League. Well-done episode, but glad they are finally done. Just started watching Silicon Valley. Good, but makes Significant Other feel acute hatred towards tech bro culture. Which is merely replacing acute hatred towards football bro culture.

Is anyone watching the Tyrant? I watched the first season. Can't decide if I like it or not.

Finally watching the third season of Sherlock. Absolutely loved The Sign of Three.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Finally watching the third season of Sherlock. Absolutely loved The Sign of Three.
    Yeah it's good Tonight the special on bbc!

BBC is always good TV. I'd rather watch Fawlty Tower re-runs than most any other US show, past or present.

That said, I loved "The Twilight Zone" aired from episode one, in chronological order, over the holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'd rather watch Fawlty Tower re-runs
    Best comment you've ever made on this forum

~

Caught the first episode of Deutschland 83 last night. First German series I've seen since Das Boot.

It looks excellent.

Das Boot was a series?

They made a series out of the extra material of the movies. They are either 3 parts of 100 minutes or 6 parts of 50 minutes.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt