Page 28 of 59 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Ah right, I've only seen the film, didn't know it was also a series. Is the extra material worth it? It's not like the original film was short
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I think it was like 20 years ago when I saw the 3 part series the last time, I can only remember that the 2nd part was rather boring.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Finally surrendered and started watching "Making a Murderer". I guess "riveting" is a best thing you can say about the documentary itself, which may or may not be a good thing. The best thing you can say about the first Avery case is: W. T. F. Third of the way through and I've made sure not to read too much about the Halbach case so there should be surprises ahead. The ginger--who regularly binges on horrific tales of murder and torture and rape where people scheme and scream and cry--couldn't bear to keep watching so we're taking a break. The video of the inspectors with Dassey was just so fucked up.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Enjoying Sherlock quite a bit. Yay Netflix.

Agent Carter's off to a good start this season, and looks like it'll be linking into the primary Shield season.

Anyone seen Black Sails?

We are watching "The Bridge" on Netflix now. We somehow never saw this on ZDF, and the Swiss TV never showed it.

Yay, Scandinavian crime shows! Anyone has this on Netflix on your country?

You guys are really communicative. BTW I am watching the original Swedish/Danish series from 2012. There is also a US/Mexican copy and a UK/French called 'The tunnel'.

To answer your question, no, haven't watched it. Was pretty big on teevee here I think though.

We got perfect timing, just finished season 2 on Netflix, and on Sunday season 3 starts on ZDF.

Is it me or is the new batch of X-files episodes a bit campy?
    Congratulations America

X-Files haven't hit these here shores yet.

It has been a bit campy. The writers seem to be embracing it. I'm enjoying it though; this is probably the best season they've had in at least a decade!

Anyone else watching the night manager? It's a john le carré story turned into spy miniseries on the beeb. Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston starring, and up to episode two now it's pretty good, very curious where it is headed.

So I'm a fan of the modern urban fantasy genre, shows like Buffy, Supernatural, and Grimm. I've finally gotten around to starting Teen Wolf. Mostly it seems mediocre to me (though one episode from season 1 where the cast is trapped in the high school at night with the alpha werewolf was just a very well done hour-long horror encounter, somewhat tropey but superbly executed) but one thing keeps me continuing. I really like Dylan O'Brian's performance as Stiles Stalinsky, the "normal" one (and, like Xander from Buffy, fulfilling the "normal" one's role as butt-monkey and fielder of one-liners). Dylan's Stalinsky seems genre-savvy, he is aware of his position and its demands but where Nicholas Brendan's Xander presented a somewhat bitter and frustrated reaction to that role, Stiles embraces it and uses it. The universe may dump on him but he'll sass it right back, and use it to try and get the girl too. She's only 40% evil on a good day according to him, after all.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

You poor fool

O'Brian's performance in Teen Wolf is the only reason I gave the Maze Runner movie a shot.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

12 Monkeys is now on Hulu or something. Anyone know if that series is worth the time investment?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    So I'm a fan of the modern urban fantasy genre, shows like Buffy, Supernatural, and Grimm. I've finally gotten around to starting Teen Wolf. Mostly it seems mediocre to me (though one episode from season 1 where the cast is trapped in the high school at night with the alpha werewolf was just a very well done hour-long horror encounter, somewhat tropey but superbly executed) but one thing keeps me continuing. I really like Dylan O'Brian's performance as Stiles Stalinsky, the "normal" one (and, like Xander from Buffy, fulfilling the "normal" one's role as butt-monkey and fielder of one-liners). Dylan's Stalinsky seems genre-savvy, he is aware of his position and its demands but where Nicholas Brendan's Xander presented a somewhat bitter and frustrated reaction to that role, Stiles embraces it and uses it. The universe may dump on him but he'll sass it right back, and use it to try and get the girl too. She's only 40% evil on a good day according to him, after all.
    I resisted Teen Wolf for so long but it just dug its claws into me and I was hooked. They show gets better and better (first few seasons at least) although there are times when some characters were very frustrating (at the same time, I think it was an okay kind of frustration, for the most part). I really didn't want to like the show or the characters but my resistance was futile. We took a break early on in season 5 but I think I'll return to it in the near future.

Watching People vs O.J Simpson.

Cuba Gooding Jr, David Schwimmer, John Travolta.

Pretty good so far, if a little too much focus on the Kardashian family; probably there to keep younger/shallower viewers interested.

Is interesting to see how, with so much evidence against O.J., it all went so badly wrong for the public prosecutors and the D.A.'s office; headed up by a very good performance from Sarah Paulson incidentally.

Season 2 of Daredevil is like a hundred times better than Season 1 and Jessica Jones combined. Only halfway through but I don't expect to change my mind

Fargo season 2 was good. Stylistically very different from season one, it's very 70s now.

Only up to Daredevil episode 4 so far; have a business trip to San Diego coming up this week, and I want to make sure I have something to do at night in the hotel.

Very minor spoilers:

I like the new mask. Looks better than the old one, which I didn't really like that much. Plus it gives him a really creepy effect when he blinks.

I'm still hoping Charlie Cox got the cameo in Civil War that he was asking for.

Dare Devil season 2 was awesome. Binge watched the hell out of that this weekend.

Okay, so I loved the first half, but disliked the second half very very much.

Spoiler:
    With the return of Claire, Fisk and Stick, the dialogue and monologues started sucking again, the acting became boring, the plot became increasingly less engaging and suspenseful. Since Foggy had improved so damn' much I was hoping the other characters had as well, but no luck. Just son't work for me although I understand many people love Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of Fisk.

To my surprise Electra kinda grew on me. Karen was even better than she was in Season 1 and I think I like her story the most. I was very skeptical about Castle, both because I'm ambivalent about Punisher and because I wasn't sure I'd like the actor, but holy hell was he awesome, at least until he crossed paths with Fisk. Looking forward to seeing more of him next season.

The trailer for Luke Cage was a little meh but I expect that's just because I didn't really like him that much in Jessica Jones. I expect I'll feel differently when that series is released

Anyway, first half of season 2 was awesome, second half still pretty good. Hope they can keep this up for like ever.

All caught up with Flash after our long hiatus. I gotta say this show keeps surprising me in good ways. The first half of Season 2 was really good and although the dialogue and plotting can be a little uneven at times (I imagine this is because they occasionally let their dumbest insomniac interns write), for the most part they do good things with these characters and I can't wait to see where they take the story next. Det. P. Spivot was a very welcome addition too <3 not too keen on Iris's new boss, he doesn't compare favourably to Eddie.

Due to the crossover episode, I have, against my better judgement, begun to watch Supergirl. Melissa Benoist and Calista Flockhart are just a pure joy to watch and I feel like this show is wasted on CBS and their mostly inept writers whose lazy writing is typically characterized by callous disregard when it's not dripping with contempt for the audience. The guy playing Maxwell Lord *puke*, aptly described as a bloviating narcissist, ruins every scene he's in, for me. Jimmy--his characterisation and the actor portraying him--is just meh. Kara's sister and her boss at the DEO are okay though. The villains are mostly kinda rubbish so far.

Yeah I'm gonna keep watching it

Also been enjoying The Magicians, for the most part. V. upset about Q's drunken antics though. What an ass. I like almost everyone in that show except for the main character himself

How can you not love the Punisher as a character concept? Probably the best hero of all time.

Because he's 1. cracked and 2. is often taken way too seriously by himself, his writers and his fans. He's also basically a textbook anti-hero. As a concept he's fairly thin on his own--the depth comes not so much from the character as from the many different viewpoints of his audience.

I've noticed a pattern. When I'm initially interested in a show but resist watching it because of a negative impression based on the first few minutes, that first impression more often than not proves to be very wrong and I end up enjoying the show immensely if I continue watching.

I resisted Person of Interest for a very long time but we've been watching a few eps at a time for about a month now and it's been incredibly fun because it's basically a masterclass in this particular kind of TV storytelling. I'm a simple person so I love the format. It's got a good balance of seriousness and humor, easy-viewing and more heavy stuff. The casting is generally v. good with the main cast growing into their roles v. quickly. The greater story unfolds slowly but steadily, partly through excellent flashbacks. The premise as well as most of the stories are interesting not only to nerds looking to wind down but also to people with only a limited interest in the scifi elements of the show. There's of course a fair amount of handwaving involved in explaining some of the more tech-y things but that's generally for the better because it avoids bogging the show down with unnecessary realism when it's not in the service of the story.

As much as I like Finch and Reese, my favourite character (and actor) is, I think, Fusco, with Carter a close second. The introduction of Sarah Shahi (who I loved in the engaging but short-lived Life) was less than awesome, but she's slowly growing on me. She's unfortunately written and portrayed in a somewhat shallow manner. The same goes for Root, but her arc's been a little better and I think the writers are using her more effectively now so I can put up with her despite never having liked the actress in question. Seeing Keith Mars in the show and then seeing the depths to which he has sunk, that was kinda upsetting, and although I like seeing him on screen I feel like his potential was squandered on placating the fans.

When I really like a show, I tend to get very nervous around season 3, because that's when things often take a turn for the worse wrt quality of writing and direction as well as featuring a lot of bad fan-service,. But season 3 of PoI has, so far, been surprisingly good, despite some things that must have been influenced by careless focus-grouping. I think the final third of this season may be a little less satisfying than previous seasons in some respects but at the same time there's been a major development that I've been expecting since the premise was first explained in detail in season 1 and I think it has a lot of promise.

I don't wanna spoil anythying but some of you might like it if you stick with it

The new Voltron on Netflix...I'm such a man-child.

Seriously though, it's really funny. Cartoony enough for kids with above their heads humor for me.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Orange is the new black season 4, is even better than the previous seasons.
    Congratulations America

Good to hear. It's on my to watch list.
    Hope is the denial of reality