Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Orange is the new black season 4, is even better than the previous seasons.
    It was a good season.

Incidentally, Containment (already cancelled) is pretty good. Since it hasn't finished the season they had yet I don't know if there will be any sort of closure.

Bonus: Claudia Black
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Just got my BluRay set of The Expanse, season 1. Let's see how it holds up.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm about halfway through it. It's been pretty good so far. It's easily the hardest sci-fi I've seen on television, although that bar was set really low.

Well, the books don't make much use of a magic McGuffin' (save for the protovirus, of course), so there's hope.

For a moment I thought they killed off Havelock.

I cannot believe I never heard of Better Off Ted until yesterday. I am a big fan - very light, very stupid, but very fun. Too bad they only had two half seasons before it was cancelled.

Finished up Leverage the other day. I have to admit I enjoy episodic TV - it's so much easier to watch, and you know what you're getting. In this case, a one hour version of The Italian Job every episode. At times it was a bit contrived, but fun to watch nonetheless. These big story arcs on dramas a la Walking Dead of whatever makes for much heavier and involved watching; for my 'only half watching' time (which is the vast majority of my TV time) episodic television is much preferred.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

I have to catch up on Leverage, really miss that show
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I've started watching Limitless now that it's appeared on Netflix. It's not the smartest show, but it is a lot of fun. It's actually pretty decent from the start. I think I've heard it's been cancelled, which is a shame, but at least it looks like it got a full 23 episode season before then.

Yeh I've watched Limitless through to its conclusion.

It's worth sticking with. The characters are likeable, the premise is interesting, Brian's story develops well over the series and keeps you interested. I like the humour and the geek references too (Ferris Bueller...).

Some of the episodes get a bit silly though and stretch plausibility too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Amazon finally released the first season of Lucifer in Germany. I like it. Of course, the dub stinks, but that's what the English track is for to choose.

Stranger Things...

Wow.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Amazon finally released the first season of Lucifer in Germany. I like it. Of course, the dub stinks, but that's what the English track is for to choose.
    It's based on probably my favorite comic series of all time. Unfortunately, past characters and locations having the same names, it has virtually nothing to do with the source material. Obviously, budget constraints and being live action make it impossible to render the story as it was (although they could have kept Mazikeen's mask if they wanted to), but even the characterizations are completely different. As far as procedurals go, it's not bad, but all the superficial similarities along with the totally opposite characterizations and different universe rules are a bit jarring for me.

On another topic, I can't believe I waited so long to start Stranger Things. It's fantastic.

Beware the Demogorgon!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Also started on Stranger Things. Very reminiscent of E.T., sorta like JJ Abrams' ode to the same genre in Super 8. We'll see how it holds up in episodic form, but so far I'm enjoying.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Yes, teevee sucks, but only if our options/choices suck. I refuse to pay for "upgrades" that can't be found elsewhere for free. This is the paradox that content providers are fighting for......

I have no idea what you are going on about, but The Get Down on Netflix is mint. I went trough the first half of the season in 2 days, and I loved it. I don't regret for one second that I had to pay to see it. See it at the time I wanted to see it, go through it the way I went through it, not interupted by any annoying commercials.

If I'd have to make a choice between giving up FTA television or any of the premium services FTA would have no chance whatsoever.
    Congratulations America

I just started watching Extant, the recently cancelled SF show. It's clearly derivative - half A.I., half Solaris so far - but is saved by Berry's excellent performance and the overall production quality. I am not yet convinced by Berry's astronaut - she is very convincing in the family scenes, but doesn't exude the 'hyper-capable and completely unflappable' air that I've come to expect of astronaut portrayals. Perhaps her more vulnerable take on the character is fresh and interesting; it also might just be inappropriate. I'll wait and see.

So far, a provisional watch - only 26 espisode commitment, after all.

So who's watching Luke Cage?

I haven't started yet, felt very unsure about it but still excited. Have the whole weekend off and I should be able to tear the ginger from Hearthstone long enough to watch through the whole season
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm three episodes in. It looks like it's going for a slow-burn crime drama, but the show seems to be having some trouble finding it's legs. The first episode featured what was some of the clunkiest exposition dialog I've ever heard - you'll know it when you've heard it. That episode also ended before any conflict was established - the only hints of it was one event that didn't involve a single character they gave the viewer an opportunity to care about. The second episode is a bit better, in that the series conflict actually gets established. The third episode is where the series starts looking like it could be good, so hopefully it continues to improve.

I think this show might be suffering from the same thing Jessica Jones did - the series is just too long. Jessica Jones was 10 fantastic episodes of television stretched out into 13. Similarly, the pacing for Cage have been better if the stories in the first two episodes only took half the time, so we could at least leave the first episode with the season arc ready to go.

Episode 6. It's not a bad show, but it's definitely the weakest of the three Defenders series so far.

Groovy!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

They'd only let me watch the first episode for free

Dude

Watch A. v. Evil Dead

I don't care what you gotta do

You owe it to yourself
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Isn't that just another zombie/horror show?

I think Deadites are more demons than zombies.

Other topic: Finished Luke Cage. Episodes 7 & 8 were great and gave me enough momentum to finish the series. I still think it's the weakest of the Defenders series, but that's more because DD and JJ set a very high bar. It's a good series overall, and it's unfortunate that the worst episodes all came so early on.

Spoilery Criticisms:
    I didn't really like Diamondback as a villain. He chewed the shit out of that scenery, and once he left the background it became a lot harder to believe that a guy like that could be running such a well-connected and large criminal enterprise. Cottonmouth was a more interesting villain, with a better actor. Diamondback was basically a mustache-twirler, but Cottonmouth actually had some depth to him. I think the series would have tracked better if they had Diamondback be the mid-level criminal that Luke had to punch through to get to Cottonmouth as the big bad. But maybe that would have wound up being too similar to DD season 1.

Luke Cage is a boy scout, which is probably a big part of the reason he often seemed less interesting than his supporting characters. Even though I liked the series, I think I'd be more interested in a Misty Knight series than Luke Cage season 2.

Lastly, In Media Res followed by an extended flashback needs to die as a storytelling technique. It's an overused crutch at this point.

In spite of my criticism, overall it's worth the time investment.

Designated Survivor is the best new series on this season.

I'm not sure why they even bothered getting the license for Lucifer. This is like if they had gotten the rights to make a Batman TV series, and decided to make it a sitcom about Bruce Wayne, a nerdy young biology student studying bats who lives at home with his quirky but loving parents Thomas and Martha and his career-driven sister, Talia. His nemesis would be a snobby rich British student named Alfred Pennyworth.

Evil Dead season 1: It's alright, but mostly interesting because I'm finding out there's a limit to how much gore I can take. Maybe I'm getting old.

As yet another installment of my 'what fluffy stuff should I watch while cooking and washing dishes' series, I've been going through New Girl episodes on Netflix. Someone suggested that a colleague of ours reminds them of the Winston character, which I definitely can understand. I've found the show surprisingly enjoyable - it has a bit of a Friends vibe but with a far better hijinks to romance ratio and a less bubbly vibe. And the writing is on occasion laugh-out-loud funny:

(Might make more sense in context, but you get the idea.) I'd say the show's plot arc is of extremely little interest to me - I really don't care if these fuckups get their lives together and find true love or not, but I definitely enjoy the crazy stuff they get up to along the way. Despite the above video, most of the writing is only funny because of the delivery, and I give kudos to some solid performances for selling it; apparently a decent amount of the show is patched together from multiple improv takes. I haven't really seen Zooey Deschanel in anything before (I have enjoyed her sister on Bones but that's a very different take) and I think she does a reasonably good job of being the fun-but-quirky. Max Greenfield and Jake Johnson each do a good job of channeling their inner ridiculousness to sell their characters. But I think by far the best comedic acting is by Lamorne Morris. It's often understated, but he manages a nearly perfect delivery and serves as a great foil for other characters.

I think it's been quite uneven, but it's pretty decent 'folding laundry' material. Good for a few laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

In spite of my criticism, overall it's worth the time investment.
    I pretty much agree on all points. Dare Devil had some of the best action scenes I've ever seen on Netflix - incredibly well done. Jessica Jones was different but the psychological thriller aspect made it different and unique to most hero shows. Luke Cage is GREAT on its own but came across a bit stale when you make the comparison to Jones and DD.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    As yet another installment of my 'what fluffy stuff should I watch while cooking and washing dishes' series, I've been going through New Girl episodes on Netflix. .
    My other half always liked New Girl and used to watch it, so I started to pick up on it too.

Definitely enjoyable, very likeable characters, real laugh out loud moments.

I'm surprised and pleased to learn that much of the show is made up of improv takes ... I think that shows through.
    Also is rare for an American show in that it doesn't a) take itself too seriously or b) get preachy

Also surprised you hadn't really encountered much Zooey Deschanel before, but maybe her stuff is generally too fluffy for you.
    Her character in New Girl is her through-and-through, she is the epitome of the kooky girl next door.

And it's the part she always plays, kooky and quirky, be that the extremely enjoyable 500 Days of Summer ...

... or with Jim Carrey in Yes Man

She even plays in a kooky band.

Besides which. I think she's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.