Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 990 of 1174

Thread: teevee sucks

  1. #961
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Can second that. I, too, discovered it fairly recently, but I'm glad I saved myself because I'm pretty sure I appreciate it a lot more now than I would've when it first aired. It's the only thing by Lynch I've ever truly enjoyed, and the feeling of immersing yourself in that incredible atmosphere and that slowly unfolding story is indescribable. Warmly recommended to anyone else who may have missed it
    I truly enjoyed the original, but I have been having a much harder time getting into the latest iteration.

    Spoiler:
    It likely has something to do with how drawn out Cooper's recovery has been, but I suppose time will tell. Also, I really miss Sheriff Truman.

  2. #962
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm pretty certain that over the top vibe was intentional. I remember watching it back then and it was totally not your standard TV show.
    Yeah I agree. Not that I watched tv back then but considering the director and the general vibe I definitely agree.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  3. #963
    Awesome first episode of the new season for AGOT.

  4. #964
    Spoiler:
    Only 12 to go before Gendry becomes king and wipes out the White Walkers.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  5. #965
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Spoiler:
    Only 12 to go before Gendry becomes king and wipes out the White Walkers.
    With his gigantic arms from four straight years of rowing.

  6. #966
    Just finished a run through the first three seasons of Bojack Horseman. Wow. It starts off a bit slow/chiche-filled, but as it goes on they don't pull any punches. It is, I suppose, technically a comedy - there are plenty of gags and cultural in-jokes; they spend a lot of time lampooning Hollywood and the culture of celebrity. Yet at its core, it's actually quite serious. Heartbreaking, even. The show is about broken people who know they're broken, and, by and large, do not find the redemption they're seeking. Not exactly light viewing. Watch it.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  7. #967
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Just finished a run through the first three seasons of Bojack Horseman. Wow. It starts off a bit slow/chiche-filled, but as it goes on they don't pull any punches. It is, I suppose, technically a comedy - there are plenty of gags and cultural in-jokes; they spend a lot of time lampooning Hollywood and the culture of celebrity. Yet at its core, it's actually quite serious. Heartbreaking, even. The show is about broken people who know they're broken, and, by and large, do not find the redemption they're seeking. Not exactly light viewing. Watch it.
    Great cast of characters as well.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  8. #968
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Great cast of characters as well.
    I love that there aren't really any heroes in the show... but there really aren't any villains, either. They're all just people.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  9. #969
    GoT:

    Spoiler:
    averaging a major battle an episode. Should be one heck of a season.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  10. #970
    Broadchurch. Just finished season 1. I really liked it; decent acting and writing, and the mystery truly kept me guessing until they telegraphed things near the end. I'm a bit worried that subsequent seasons won't have the same tense suspicion, though, since there's only so much they can milk this story for. Even so, well done.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

  11. #971
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,797
    GoT

    Spoiler:

    So they sail for a long time but don't make plans along the way, pass Dorne on the way, arrive at Dragonstone which is completely undefended for some reason, and then have to sail back to Dorne which they just passed to get ambushed en route..

    That said it is fun to watch.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  12. #972
    GoT:

    Spoiler:
    Someone wrote an article about Dragonstone. Basically, Stannis only left a handful of men to guard it because A) he needed the manpower, and B) the castle is really easy to defend. But once Stannis left, there was no reason for that skeletal army to stick around. Meanwhile, it didn't make sense for anyone to try to conquer Dragonstone, because it would require a massive fleet to defend, while providing nothing useful.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  13. #973
    Just finished the first season of Dirk Gently, which is on Hulu now. Glad to hear it's been renewed. Odd show, but a lot of fun. I never got around to reading the book so I can't speak to it's faithfulness, but Adams was never one for faithfulness in translations anyways.

  14. #974
    More GoT:

    Spoiler:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...artins-writing

    There's something to that argument. Baelish gained his popularity on the back of wit. Same for Tyrion. Both have suffered tremendously since season 6 due to mediocre (Tyrion) to terrible (Baelish) writing. Other characters don't rely so much on word play, so they're mostly fine. But it's annoying how Baelish went from being the star of every scene to showing up in the worst scenes of each episode.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  15. #975
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    More GoT:

    Spoiler:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...artins-writing

    There's something to that argument. Baelish gained his popularity on the back of wit. Same for Tyrion. Both have suffered tremendously since season 6 due to mediocre (Tyrion) to terrible (Baelish) writing. Other characters don't rely so much on word play, so they're mostly fine. But it's annoying how Baelish went from being the star of every scene to showing up in the worst scenes of each episode.
    Didn't read the article, because I'm not disabling ad-block for forbes *hawk-spit* but... I can't agree with the premise implied by the URL. George R.R is a masterful storyteller (pacing issues aside) and world-builder, and brilliant at character work but his prose and dialogue is... just barely adequate? I read GoT and the writing was OK, and I still haven't made it through Clash of Kings. The show might suffer because it lacks his plotting and direction - when it's strayed too far from his story in the past it has sucked quite badly - but it's kept it's head above water so far in Season 7 in that department. D&D gave us several fantastic dialogue vignettes that weren't in the books in the early seasons of the show - Arya and Tywin springs to mind.
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  16. #976
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    More GoT:

    Spoiler:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...artins-writing

    There's something to that argument. Baelish gained his popularity on the back of wit. Same for Tyrion. Both have suffered tremendously since season 6 due to mediocre (Tyrion) to terrible (Baelish) writing. Other characters don't rely so much on word play, so they're mostly fine. But it's annoying how Baelish went from being the star of every scene to showing up in the worst scenes of each episode.
    Spoiler:


    Baelish is doing the same thing he has always been doing - its just that other people are on to his tricks. He's also being used as a conversational partner for the show writers to show Sansa coming into her own.

    Outside of teleportation ship travel I'm pretty happy with the season. Certain wry glances and uncomfortable pauses make from some enjoyable dry humor.

  17. #977
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Didn't read the article, because I'm not disabling ad-block for forbes *hawk-spit* but... I can't agree with the premise implied by the URL. George R.R is a masterful storyteller (pacing issues aside) and world-builder, and brilliant at character work but his prose and dialogue is... just barely adequate? I read GoT and the writing was OK, and I still haven't made it through Clash of Kings. The show might suffer because it lacks his plotting and direction - when it's strayed too far from his story in the past it has sucked quite badly - but it's kept it's head above water so far in Season 7 in that department. D&D gave us several fantastic dialogue vignettes that weren't in the books in the early seasons of the show - Arya and Tywin springs to mind.
    Barley adequate? I'm curious as to what your beef with it is. He seems very consistent with his setting.

  18. #978
    No problems with the setting, it's probably one of the best fantasy settings I've encountered. No problem with the story, except for the pacing issues that I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with. No problem with the characters, he's very good at characters, there's a reason the Red Wedding, etc had the effect it did on people.

    The only problem I have is with the actual prose. I'm going to to read 5 novels each 800 pages plus, full of digressions and padding, then I'd like the prose and dialogue to sparkle a bit more.
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  19. #979
    GoT:

    Spoiler:
    Can't help but think the last few military maneuvers were lazy and too neat (i.e. a quick way to tie up loose ends and race towards the ending). If Varys has any spies at all, he should have known about Euron's fleet, and therefore taken at least some precautions.

    The Tyrell defeat makes even less sense. It would take the Lannisters about a month to march to Highgardern. That's more than enough time to ask Daenerys for some dragon assistance or to reroute the Unsullied. Even if the Tyrells somehow failed to see a massive army moving towards them for a month, all they had to do was withdraw to their castle and wait for a siege. Sieges take months (if not years), even on the Game of Thrones (see the siege in the Riverlands). With nearly the entire Lannister army besieging High Garden, there are virtually no troops guarding King's Landing. Daenerys would be able to take it with just the Dothraki.

    So in sum, Daenerys seems to have absolutely no spies, and the Tyrells are stupid beyond belief to fight an open battle against the Lannisters knowing the Lannisters are superior in combat and knowing that Daenerys isn't that far away.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  20. #980
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,797
    Totally agree there, I think it's just to speed things up.

    Spoiler:
    I wonder if there will be an impact from Jamie finding out it wasn't Tyrion who killed Joffrey.

    About Littlefinger, I think he's a fish out of the water in the North. Ned was from the North and couldn't handle the politics of the capital, Littlefinger thrived on the politics there but is now in the North which is gearing up for an existential war.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  21. #981
    Spoiler:
    It undermines many of the sacrifices made over the past 3-4 seasons. Why have all the storylines about the Tyrells if you're going to destroy them in a dumb 2-minute arc?

    Did Jamie ever believe it was Tyrion? He allowed him to escape, remember. And the reason he hates him now is because Tyrion killed Tywin.

    If he's so terrible at northern politicking, why stay there? It's completely out of character. Even given the loving Sansa angle, it doesn't make sense. He loved her mother, and yet he didn't stick around her side 24/7.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  22. #982
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,797
    Spoiler:
    First question id's a good one, why keep Olenna alive after the wildfire if you're killing her off like this. Last question is also a good one, perhaps he overestimated his influence and power there? IIRC the vale lords also don't like him much. But if he leaves them he has zero control over them. Oh and he didn't stick around Catelyn because Brandon Stark would have killed him (he almost killed him once already).

    Either way it all feels a bit rushed now, which is not that weird considering there's only 11 episodes left until the final. Which reminds me, what's taking the white walkers so long?

    I think Tyrion told Jamie he killed Joffrey during his escape, because he was pissed about his ex wife not being a whore after all. In the books that conversation goes through Jamie's head regularly.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  23. #983
    Spoiler:
    It's not the rushing that bothers; it's the forcing characters to act in very uncharacteristic ways as a way to advance the plot.
    Last edited by Loki; 08-02-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  24. #984
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    GoT:

    Spoiler:
    Can't help but think the last few military maneuvers were lazy and too neat (i.e. a quick way to tie up loose ends and race towards the ending). If Varys has any spies at all, he should have known about Euron's fleet, and therefore taken at least some precautions.

    The Tyrell defeat makes even less sense. It would take the Lannisters about a month to march to Highgardern. That's more than enough time to ask Daenerys for some dragon assistance or to reroute the Unsullied. Even if the Tyrells somehow failed to see a massive army moving towards them for a month, all they had to do was withdraw to their castle and wait for a siege. Sieges take months (if not years), even on the Game of Thrones (see the siege in the Riverlands). With nearly the entire Lannister army besieging High Garden, there are virtually no troops guarding King's Landing. Daenerys would be able to take it with just the Dothraki.

    So in sum, Daenerys seems to have absolutely no spies, and the Tyrells are stupid beyond belief to fight an open battle against the Lannisters knowing the Lannisters are superior in combat and knowing that Daenerys isn't that far away.

    Spoiler:
    I have to agree with the poor treatment of the Tyrells. That being said they may have left some things off screen such as the impact of Tarly switching sides. He has been loyal to the Tyrells for a long time and quite the badass in battle (from Robert's Rebellion and other comments throughout the books). Him switching sides may have convinced over half of the other lords that the time had come to switch too. The Reach really dislikes Dorne, they were on opposite sides of Robert's Rebellion and Oberyn crippled their eldest heir (not cast in HBO land) so with Dorne allying against Cersei I could see the appeal for some of the southern Reach lords to back the play against Olenna. Who also has a caustic demeanor and a woman which may have also weakened her standing.

    I mean its a bit of a stretch considering anyone with half a brain could tell that Cersei murdered Lord Tyrell, the septons, Loras and much of the court that was attending. This really all feels like they want to play up the danger and power of Cersei to make Dany's victory seem more meaningful than what should actually happen which is an outright trouncing. Cersei is a drunk, vicious evil idiot. She makes bad decision after bad decision and the show writers decided to go the complete opposite the direction with her, somehow making her Tywinn Jr. when she was not at all like him.


  25. #985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Spoiler:
    I have to agree with the poor treatment of the Tyrells. That being said they may have left some things off screen such as the impact of Tarly switching sides. He has been loyal to the Tyrells for a long time and quite the badass in battle (from Robert's Rebellion and other comments throughout the books). Him switching sides may have convinced over half of the other lords that the time had come to switch too. The Reach really dislikes Dorne, they were on opposite sides of Robert's Rebellion and Oberyn crippled their eldest heir (not cast in HBO land) so with Dorne allying against Cersei I could see the appeal for some of the southern Reach lords to back the play against Olenna. Who also has a caustic demeanor and a woman which may have also weakened her standing.

    I mean its a bit of a stretch considering anyone with half a brain could tell that Cersei murdered Lord Tyrell, the septons, Loras and much of the court that was attending. This really all feels like they want to play up the danger and power of Cersei to make Dany's victory seem more meaningful than what should actually happen which is an outright trouncing. Cersei is a drunk, vicious evil idiot. She makes bad decision after bad decision and the show writers decided to go the complete opposite the direction with her, somehow making her Tywinn Jr. when she was not at all like him.

    Spoiler:
    I agree that the Tyrells would ultimately lose any war against the Lannisters and Tarlys. But given the safety of their massive town/castle, they could have held out for a very long time. The show could have alleged treachery, but Jamie doesn't mention that in his conversation with Olenna.

    And yes, it feels like a deus ex machina plot to make Cersei, who had the support of one major house at the end of season 6, somehow become a major foe for Jon and Daenerys. Dorne was going to back Daenerys. The Riverlands (with the hated Freys gone) will back Jon. The Vale would probably prefer neutrality, but might be coaxed to join Jon. Before last episode, most of the Reach supported Daenerys, who also has dragons, Dothraki, and the Unsullied. So instead of having an anti-climactic finale, the show decided to pick off Daenerys' allies one at a time, each for reasons stupider than the last. The only realistic way to make Cersei formidable would have been to have her opponents fight each other.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  26. #986
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................
    Spoiler:
    I do hope noone on Dragonstone is betraying Daenerys
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  27. #987
    We resumed watching Killjoys after taking a long break. The first few episodes of season 1 were kinda meh and the soundtrack was really atrocious. After this, we got more enjoyable episodes that established the characters and their relationships. Season 2 evoked some of the best aspects of Dr. Who, Farscape, SG-1 during the Ori story-arc, and even some of the best parts of Firefly. Season 3 has some symptoms of Season 3 Syndrome but, all in all, takes the show in a very promising direction, revealing more of the setting and the world of the J Star Cluster while setting things up for what will almost certainly be a spectacular finale. Hannah John-Kamen is an excellent lead right from the outset while the supporting cast slowly grows into their roles. I love the setting, although I'd prefer a little more exploration and a little less exposition. The relationship between Khlyen and Dutch carries the second season, and the story of the Hullen makes for a decent mythology. I'm not too keen on Aneela but I think I'll grow to appreciate her as the third season progresses, and the same goes for the new nerd. V. glad I gave this show a second chance.

    We also decided to check out Bones and found ourselves sucked into a time-storm from which we emerged eleven seasons later. It's the first show I've ever watched that I could just let play while working in the kitchen or whatever, but, in spite of that, surprisingly engrossing. Emily Deschanel is a better actress than her sister, and gives us a pitch-perfect portrayal of her character, even on those rare occasions when the writers falter. The other characters take a whole season to come into their own, but, once the show breaks free of the Fox Family Values guidelines, we get some excellent--if light--TV programming. The later seasons are a little formulaic but the addition of Sweets and the Squinterns really improves the show, unexpectedly. Fox deals heavily in stereotypes and worn out tropes, but, unlike the team behind Scorpion, these actors and the writing team bring their A-game for far longer than anyone has a right to expect of modern TV. The Pelant story-arc is shit, but there's enough filler in it to make the slog tolerable.

    Decided to check out Limitless, too, after having avoided it because of its obvious association with the Bradley Cooper movie of the same name. The show would've been better termed "Jake 3.0". Decent premise, good--if obnoxious--lead, decent stories... but so much wasted potential. I have to say, however, that this is the best Bradley Cooper has ever been. His few appearances on this show were spot on. Shame they couldn't make it work.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  28. #988
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,083
    Episode 4; saw it. God, GoT.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  29. #989
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Spoiler:
    I have to agree with the poor treatment of the Tyrells. That being said they may have left some things off screen such as the impact of Tarly switching sides. He has been loyal to the Tyrells for a long time and quite the badass in battle (from Robert's Rebellion and other comments throughout the books). Him switching sides may have convinced over half of the other lords that the time had come to switch too. The Reach really dislikes Dorne, they were on opposite sides of Robert's Rebellion and Oberyn crippled their eldest heir (not cast in HBO land) so with Dorne allying against Cersei I could see the appeal for some of the southern Reach lords to back the play against Olenna. Who also has a caustic demeanor and a woman which may have also weakened her standing.

    I mean its a bit of a stretch considering anyone with half a brain could tell that Cersei murdered Lord Tyrell, the septons, Loras and much of the court that was attending. This really all feels like they want to play up the danger and power of Cersei to make Dany's victory seem more meaningful than what should actually happen which is an outright trouncing. Cersei is a drunk, vicious evil idiot. She makes bad decision after bad decision and the show writers decided to go the complete opposite the direction with her, somehow making her Tywinn Jr. when she was not at all like him.

    Were there any Tyrells left after Cersei's bbq ?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  30. #990
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Were there any Tyrells left after Cersei's bbq ?
    Not in the show AFAIK, in the books it would be a whole different matter (though we are past the point of the books so no telling what will happen with the faith militant arc).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •