Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

Watched first half of Defenders. The Iron Fist is basically a hipster fantasy. He's super important. He's misunderstood. He's been fighting the Hand before it was the cool thing to do. He has an Asian girlfriend who always tells him how important he is.

Wraith, agreed on the GoT. One review pointed out how actions in the books flow naturally from the traits and preferences of each character, while season 7 has a plot point in mind and is forcing characters to head toward it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Part of the problem is the speed they're insisting on hurtling through the plot, certain plot points

Spoiler:
    like the tension between Arya and Sansa

would make more sense if they'd developed it over a few more episodes.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Part of the problem is the speed they're insisting on hurtling through the plot, certain plot points

Spoiler:
    like the tension between Arya and Sansa

would make more sense if they'd developed it over a few more episodes.
    On the other hand. Why would the night king wait for a small lake to freeze over.

Why do we assume Arya abusing magic is without repercussions.
    Congratulations America

I still don't get why they picked the 13 episode number out of their behind. They clearly can't tell the story well in 13 episodes. What would be the problem of having 10 episode seasons like before?

I'm guessing budgetary reasons. The episodes this season have seemed to be a lot more expensive on average than previous seasons, and they probably wanted to be able to devote more of their budget to special effects and the big battle scenes where they need a whole bunch of extras.

They could have added 3 more episodes without adding any more CGI. Space out some of the CGI that was used. I wonder if the creators got bored and are ready to move on (I know they're already working on new shows).

Wraith - I agree they let realism fall by the wayside far more this season than in others. Lots of places to nitpick (Dorne in season 5... ffs) but still the best TV I've watched.

GoT:
    Spoiler:
    I was prepared to be disappointed, but I must say, they went back on track with this one.

Since Cersei hasn't filled anyone in on her devious plan, why didn't Jamie just take the Lannister army and march north?
    Last edited by Loki; 08-28-2017 at 02:46 AM.

This was a lot better than last week, though the Winterfell storyline still doesn't totally track, I'll just assume that was because last week's episode didn't convey what it was supposed to. Whoever wrote last week's episode, let's just not let them write any more episodes.

Spoilery Question:
    Question: When did everyone find out that Cersei's protector was The Mountain? I thought only Cersei, that Maester, and presumably Jaime knew who he was, and they were maintaining a fiction that it was some new soldier and definitely not a zombie Mountain. But now everyone seems to know who he is. Is there something I missed or misunderstood?
    Last edited by Wraith; 08-28-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Wraith, good question. I believe the show never claimed he was dead (the book does).

Anyone catch the Orville?

Made us laugh...light hearted Sci-fi with a tempered Seth..
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Another good season of Bojack. Starts slow, but really picks up later in the season.

I liked Star Trek: Discovery a lot more than I expected to given all the behind-the-scenes crap going on. It's a lot more like the movies than the series though. The opening scene was painfully bad, but the rest of it was decent sci-fi. I can understand why some people are complaining about how different it is though - Discovery so far is closer to standard space opera than Star Trek ever was.

For anyone who wanted Discovery to be more Star Treky, I'd recommend The Orville. After an awful first episode, the next two were actually pretty good, and it's very much a modern Star Trek with a bit of humor thrown in. It's more Star Trek than Star Trek is.

That's a very good description of The Orville. Really enjoying it so far, minimally foxified and very entertaining. They're slowly taking it into more serious territory.

Discovery was enjoyable but has some major deficiencies. I hope they sort out the clunky dialogue at least.

We binged the entire first season of The Good Place this evening. Spends a few too many episodes setting the stage but it's excellent. Wonderful cast and just the right tonal balance. Bell is our number one celebrity crush. Very high hopes for season 2
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Saw the entire first season of Mindhunters in one session. Nice slow burn. Well-made, good direction, solid cast etc. Really low-key for the most part but if there's a second season I expect it'll be more like a conventional murder show.

Binged Stranger Things over the weekend. I regret it, not because I didn't like it, but because now I'm out of new episodes to watch. It seemed a bit more depressing than the first season, but it was still awesome.

Spoiler:
    I wasn't a big fan of how they wrote Eleven out of the main conflicts for so long. I hope they don't keep her out of the group for so long next season. I'm also hoping next season isn't just psychic-centric, and we get more from the upside-down. I really want to know how that ecology works someday.

The Nether you mean. I did the same but decided I should give it a second run, so that I have more time to get all the references they packed into it.
    Congratulations America

Punisher is the most well-rounded of the Marvel series on Netflix. Great script, excellent supporting cast, much less melodrama than in the previous shows. Better antagonists. Feels longer than it is, but in a good way. Just a few episodes left.
    Last edited by Aimless; 11-18-2017 at 05:28 PM.

TV may suck, but it sucks even worse trying to find the best provider/price. I got a good deal for 2 years on a satellite package from ATT. But at the end of the 2 yr contract the price practically doubled.

Now that I'm moving I can get a "new" 2 year contract, with guaranteed pricing, from Comcast. TV has become a total profit scam, which bugs me to no end.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/counterpart

Anyone else see the ads for this show? Looks interesting.

Didn't see it, but just went and watched a trailer. Looks interesting.

I'm pretty sure J.K. Simmons shows up in more of the media I consume than any other actor.

Anyone been watch The Expanse? I finished season 1 yesterday and thought it was pretty good.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

See previous discussion. I enjoyed it a lot. Haven't finished season 2 yet though. The flip-and-burn sequence in season 1 is one my all time favorite scifi scenes.

Season 2 of Dirk Gently is bloody awesome.

Much better than the first season and I'm really looking forward to season 3. The kid sucked though. In stark contrast to his suckiness we have the impressive performances of the kids in Stranger Things. Saw the first five episodes of season 1 tonight. Definitely understand the hype now.

Altered Carbon starts on Netflix Feb 2. I've read the book and it's two sequels and found it very enjoyable cyberpunk noir. Hope Netflix doesn't screw it up. They released a trailer today, looked pretty good.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Just finished season 2 of Mr. Robot. I liked it.
    The Rules

Working my way through Altered Carbon, in the middle of ep 3. Hmm. So far a reasonable amount of fidelity to the books and the casting is okay but not spot-on. They do an okay job of explaining the world without too much exposition and the flashbacks are so far okay. I have two big beefs so far:

1. They really screwed up the origin story of the Envoys, and that compromises Kovacs as a character IMO. We'll see how it plays out, but I'm a bit skeptical of their choices on this front.

2. The world is a bit too gritty, Blade Runner-esque. I'd always viewed it as less cyberpunk, more false utopia, at least on Earth. I get their choice for doing so, but I still think it would be better as a slightly less obvious lesson in class dynamics.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Binged Stranger Things over the weekend. I regret it, not because I didn't like it, but because now I'm out of new episodes to watch. It seemed a bit more depressing than the first season, but it was still awesome.
    Working my way slowly through Season 1 now.

So far so good, I think. Still not quite sure how I place it. But only about 4 episodes in.

The behaviour of the 3 boys is highly irritating.

The treatment (by flashback) of the young girl at the hands of her (father?) in the experiments they seem to be running is extremely unsettling. Which is great - she's great.

Winona Ryder seems ok as the highly strung mom. The cop, Hopper, is very watchable.

The whole 'altered dimension' theme is a good one.

All in all I'm reasonably intrigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Blue planet II. Nature is amazing
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!