Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 1,021 to 1,034 of 1034

Thread: teevee sucks

Watched first half of Defenders. The Iron Fist is basically a hipster fantasy. He's super important. He's misunderstood. He's been fighting the Hand before it was the cool thing to do. He has an Asian girlfriend who always tells him how important he is.

Wraith, agreed on the GoT. One review pointed out how actions in the books flow naturally from the traits and preferences of each character, while season 7 has a plot point in mind and is forcing characters to head toward it.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Part of the problem is the speed they're insisting on hurtling through the plot, certain plot points

Spoiler:
    like the tension between Arya and Sansa

would make more sense if they'd developed it over a few more episodes.
    To ends unknown, by means unworthy, to answer wishes long dead and gone
    Old, empty promises, a just reward for the blind
    Belief makes work for idle minds
    The only dream that matters is the one you wake up from

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Part of the problem is the speed they're insisting on hurtling through the plot, certain plot points

Spoiler:
    like the tension between Arya and Sansa

would make more sense if they'd developed it over a few more episodes.
    On the other hand. Why would the night king wait for a small lake to freeze over.

Why do we assume Arya abusing magic is without repercussions.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

I still don't get why they picked the 13 episode number out of their behind. They clearly can't tell the story well in 13 episodes. What would be the problem of having 10 episode seasons like before?

I'm guessing budgetary reasons. The episodes this season have seemed to be a lot more expensive on average than previous seasons, and they probably wanted to be able to devote more of their budget to special effects and the big battle scenes where they need a whole bunch of extras.

They could have added 3 more episodes without adding any more CGI. Space out some of the CGI that was used. I wonder if the creators got bored and are ready to move on (I know they're already working on new shows).

Wraith - I agree they let realism fall by the wayside far more this season than in others. Lots of places to nitpick (Dorne in season 5... ffs) but still the best TV I've watched.

GoT:
    Spoiler:
    I was prepared to be disappointed, but I must say, they went back on track with this one.

Since Cersei hasn't filled anyone in on her devious plan, why didn't Jamie just take the Lannister army and march north?
    Last edited by Loki; 08-28-2017 at 02:46 AM.

This was a lot better than last week, though the Winterfell storyline still doesn't totally track, I'll just assume that was because last week's episode didn't convey what it was supposed to. Whoever wrote last week's episode, let's just not let them write any more episodes.

Spoilery Question:
    Question: When did everyone find out that Cersei's protector was The Mountain? I thought only Cersei, that Maester, and presumably Jaime knew who he was, and they were maintaining a fiction that it was some new soldier and definitely not a zombie Mountain. But now everyone seems to know who he is. Is there something I missed or misunderstood?
    Last edited by Wraith; 08-28-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Wraith, good question. I believe the show never claimed he was dead (the book does).

Anyone catch the Orville?

Made us laugh...light hearted Sci-fi with a tempered Seth..
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Another good season of Bojack. Starts slow, but really picks up later in the season.

I liked Star Trek: Discovery a lot more than I expected to given all the behind-the-scenes crap going on. It's a lot more like the movies than the series though. The opening scene was painfully bad, but the rest of it was decent sci-fi. I can understand why some people are complaining about how different it is though - Discovery so far is closer to standard space opera than Star Trek ever was.

For anyone who wanted Discovery to be more Star Treky, I'd recommend The Orville. After an awful first episode, the next two were actually pretty good, and it's very much a modern Star Trek with a bit of humor thrown in. It's more Star Trek than Star Trek is.

That's a very good description of The Orville. Really enjoying it so far, minimally foxified and very entertaining. They're slowly taking it into more serious territory.

Discovery was enjoyable but has some major deficiencies. I hope they sort out the clunky dialogue at least.

We binged the entire first season of The Good Place this evening. Spends a few too many episodes setting the stage but it's excellent. Wonderful cast and just the right tonal balance. Bell is our number one celebrity crush. Very high hopes for season 2
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates