Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    SyFy cancelled The Expanse, in a completely unprecedented move. Bunch of dimwits.

"Oh, but it's sooo expensive!" Yes, you idiots. SciFi series usually are.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    SyFy cancelled The Expanse, in a completely unprecedented move. Bunch of dimwits.

"Oh, but it's sooo expensive!" Yes, you idiots. SciFi series usually are.
    I read that SyFy only makes money when the show airs on their cable channel, but most viewers see it via streaming, after it runs on the SyFy Channel. So it's not just that the show is expensive, it's that the channel doesn't make enough from it. I'm bummed at the cancel, I really like the show.

In other news...

Been watching season 1 of The Peaky Blinders on Netflix. I like it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I read that SyFy only makes money when the show airs on their cable channel, but most viewers see it via streaming, after it runs on the SyFy Channel. So it's not just that the show is expensive, it's that the channel doesn't make enough from it. I'm bummed at the cancel, I really like the show.

In other news...

Right after my post about Legion being the only show I'm currently watching, I got caught up on The Expanse and considered amending my earlier post. I wasn't too hooked on the first season, but the second season was markedly better and the third season is amazing. I seem to only get hooked on Sci-fi that doesn't have the viewership numbers to support it.

Looks like the campaign to save it might be getting some traction. I've read elsewhere that Netflix already passed on it though, so Amazon would probably be the best bet. Which works fine for me, since that's where I'm watching it anyways.

Yeah, I think the first season was by carried the top-notch world-building and production values the second season was better but was frustrating as for various reason, but the third season has been excellent so far.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

We've both been home sick so we decided to catch up on Flash. Binged season 3 and have now moved on to season 3 of Arrow. I generally despise season 3 of all shows, but I confess I've enjoyed both. The DC shows always make me much happier than the admittedly better-produced and better-crafted Marvel shows, even though there's a lot of passing the stupid-stick around, telegraphing important plot twists half a season in advance etc. I just wanna be happy and root unreservedly for the good guys.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Season 4 of The Expanse will be on Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yay! Now, if I only had access to Season 3 in any way...

The last episode of The Americans was the best thing I have ever watched.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Midway through season 3 and it keeps getting better and better. Excellent stuff. Tom Hardy's Jewish crime boss performance is particularly enjoyable.

EDIT: I guess there's no "the". It's just Peaky Blinders.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 06-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

The Looming Tower

Excellent dramatisation of the actual events leading up to 9/11 and the pursuit of OBL, and the intelligence conflicts between the CIA and the FBI which may have contributed to the attack. Based on the book by Lawrence Wright.
    Jeff Daniels stars.

Halfway through the series. Recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Nearing the final stretch of Luke Cage season 2. 70% of the first act is really fucking lame but then it gets a little better. Plot, dialogue, acting, direction, music, everything is worse, although not the worst. The antagonists aren't as compelling and the bullshit about anthroposophic medicine, GMO, dangerous vaccines etc kinda makes me want to gag. It feels like it was made by the people who made Iron Fist. Nevertheless, there are enough redeeming qualities to make it worthwhile. This show succeeds thanks to the strength of the supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Yay! Now, if I only had access to Season 3 in any way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Is this worth watching? Need to pick on something new.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    American Gods keeps improving with every episode Shadow remains the weakest and most poorly acted part. Laura & co. are the most fun. The newbies, esp. Media, are delightfully creepy. Impeccable style that flows smoothly from restrained to insanely over-the-top and back again without ever feeling confused. Nice production values with great visuals and a very nice soundtrack. We love

I just finished this. Got through 5 of the episodes in one sitting.

Some of the best TV I've seen in recent years. Wonderfully visual, incredibly stylistic, I loved it from start to finish.

I didn't mind Shadow. He didn't have to do much more than look dark and stern, and generally confused as to the (un)godly stuff occurring around him, and he did that reasonably.

The Leprechaun was easily my favourite char tho.

The book is fantastic, even if you've had spoilers

Expanse is some of the best scifi on TV.

The book is fantastic, even if you've had spoilers
    Read the book a good few years back. Unusually, I enjoyed the TV series more.

Expanse is some of the best scifi on TV.
    Goody. Need some decent sci-fi.

Loved Peaky Blinders. Also Babylon Berlin (but haven't finished that yet).

I just wish the good shows weren't mostly series with multiple seasons, which reinforces binge-watching. After we've gotten hooked and watched the whole thing, it sucks to know the next release won't be for another year or two.

Is it just me or is the second season of West World way too convoluted?
    Congratulations America

Didn't realise The Expanse was based on James S A Corey's books. I've read the first couple (or maybe 3 ..?) in the series. They're good

Got through 1st four episodes of season 1 last night. Following the plot of the first book, Leviathan Wakes, closely from what I recall. Got the makings of a good sci-fi drama then.

I can watch the flip-n-burn over and over again

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Is it just me or is the second season of West World way too convoluted?
    It took some inspiration from Pulp Fiction, yes.

Bojack Horseman - into season 3 already. It's terrific. The only show I can think of that I watch the intro every episode. Love it. Oh, and there's a SOUNDTRACK, with a full version of the intro song.
    The Rules

Same here.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I think Aimless and I have very different tastes with our entertainment. I didn't really like Jessica Jones season 2. Given that she was always stealing scenes in Defenders, I thought it'd be better than it was. The takeaway I had is that Jessica is only a good character when she has other good characters to play off of, whether it's Tennant's Kilgrave, or the Defenders. The villain in JJ season 2 just wasn't strong enough for it, and the best parts of the second season were the ones following whats-his-name, her side-kick. Though I'm glad that Carrie-Anne Moss finally got something to do after appearing in every series since JJ season 1.

Luke Cage season 2, on the other hand, was fantastic. I didn't feel season 1 was that strong, but season 2 fixed just about every problem I had with it. Luke wasn't just a boring invulnerable Boy Scout this time around and he actually had depth and became an interesting character in his own right. The supporting cast was still pretty strong, and the villain was way better than Diamondback (though, low bars and all). Nothing felt like filler this time around, and I even liked that they kept the last episode for a long denouement. The biggest complaint I had is that the cop side of the story was downright nonsensical at times, and they kinda fucked up Misty's character for some cheap drama that served absolutely no purpose. I'm really looking forward to season 3.

On a related topic, with all the serialized dramas that are being put out lately, I'm starting to miss the case-of-the-week shows. Sometimes I want to watch something that doesn't require a lot of investment and has a complete story told in under an hour. I think something like JJ could be really good at this, and I hope the streaming companies eventually start realizing that not everything has to be completely serialized.

Not my fault some of us were dropped on the head as children

We started watching season 2 of Travelers. still great

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Didn't realise The Expanse was based on James S A Corey's books. I've read the first couple (or maybe 3 ..?) in the series. They're good

Got through 1st four episodes of season 1 last night. Following the plot of the first book, Leviathan Wakes, closely from what I recall. Got the makings of a good sci-fi drama then.
    So polished off and really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2.

Season 3 not out on Amazon UK for another 8 months, though I discovered it's available to stream in the US only, and needing a US account with US credit card and US address to be viable.

Read up that people outside of the US are finding convoluted workarounds, like buying an Amazon gift card and using that to purchase the stream to bypass the need for a US credit card, and using dubious websites to generate a US address for a US account. Somewhat fraudulent though and you risk having Amazon shutdown your legitimate account if they find out.

In the end I just ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon US and shipped it over here. No worries.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 08-15-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Hey what's a "blu-ray" gramps

Hey what's a "blu-ray" gramps
    A disc you can buy to bypass silly geographical stream limitations

In the latest installment of 'iffy quality Canadian TV I watch while washing dishes', I present to you Wynonna Earp. Surprisingly entertaining, though I really wish they'd lean into the whole 'Western' part of the reimagined Western.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Guess Netflix shows go here.

Disenchantment.

First couple of episodes feel like its something the Simpsons would be watching in the background. Pointless. The next 6 get worse and really drag, even for a 30 minute show. It doesn't get worthwhile until the final 2 episodes when an actual plot emerges, which falls apart in the last 15 minutes of the season because netflix forces a cliffhanger into everything.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."