Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,157 of 1157

Thread: teevee sucks

I couldn't get through the first episode of Disenchantment. I thought it was terrible.

Just finished episode 3 of Godless. It's pretty good.

Also, season 2 of The Good Place. It's very much bubble gum tv, but I really enjoyed it. For some strange reason I've been watching Cheers, and its really interesting to see young Ted Danson vs old Ted Danson...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I've been watching Castle Rock mostly as it's been airing. The season finale is on Wednesday, and if you have Hulu it's worth a watch. It's less horror and more supernatural mystery a la Lost or whatever.

Finished Westworld S1.

Slightly disillusioned. Thought a better story could have been made of the excellent premise. Feel the high-calibre actors on hand could have had better material.

Whilst deciding whether it's worth forking out the not inconsiderable sum to get S2 on prime, I'm going to take a side-turn into Fargo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Haven't seen it yet but I've read that the actors in Westworld were kept in the dark about a lot of things so character development from their end was non-existent.

I found an odd show, called 7 Deadly Sins, on Netflix. It's a Netflix funded anime. I don't watch much anime so I have no idea how much of the show is following standard japense anime formats and how much is making fun of such things, but... I enjoyed it. It could be better, a little less obvious in the plot twists, but it was fun. It was weird that it had a recap every episode and a lot of the episodes had scenes after the credits. Forced me to use that 10 second fast forward Netflix has, a lot.
    Japan already has season 2, so I guess I'm waiting for it to be localized.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-11-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It was surprisingly fun we're now catching up on Shippuden and my god have I missed it. The translation and voice-acting for the English version is miles better than the Japanese version with subs, and the story, though it moves ridiculously slowly, is precisely what I long for in a work of fiction. I've missed it very much think I'll give Sword Art Online a go after that.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Iron Fist season 2 is a lot better than season 1 was. There seems to be a theme in these last few Netflix-MCU series, though. I'm guessing that Daredevil season 3 will feature an evil blind ninja with sonar powers? Maybe just zombie-Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Finished Westworld S1.

Slightly disillusioned. Thought a better story could have been made of the excellent premise. Feel the high-calibre actors on hand could have had better material.
    I thought WW was way over-rated, both seasons. I don't recommend buying either season.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I thought WW was way over-rated, both seasons. I don't recommend buying either season.
    I think there was so much promise to WW, but it either decided to stretch credulity to the breaking point or explored facets that I found less compelling. It should have been better than it was.

The best thing about Westworld was this, my alarm clock tune:

“Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I'm going to take a side-turn into Fargo.
    ... certainly glad I did. What fantastic teevee. Only up to S1 ep7 but so far it's as eccentric and bizarre as the brilliant movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Iron Fist season 2 is a lot better than season 1 was. There seems to be a theme in these last few Netflix-MCU series, though. I'm guessing that Daredevil season 3 will feature an evil blind ninja with sonar powers? Maybe just zombie-Stick?
    I hear the Kingpin is coming back.

That's what the trailer looks like, and thank god - I'm not sure I would have given yet another evil doppelganger story a chance. Although to be totally fair, it was only the Jessica Jones one that I wound up not enjoying in the end. I'm just getting tired of the theme.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon, was terrific. I highly recommend.

Also about a rising comic with marital problems, Crashing, on HBO, is good too. Not nearly as good as Mrs. Maisel, but worth watching if you have HBO...
    The Rules

Getting a kick out of old TV news footage from the 90's. Clips from the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings with Chuck Grassley and Orrin Hatch as obnoxious younger men, Susan Collins from Maine promising she'll only serve two terms even if term limits aren't adopted, seeing Bryant Gumbel again, and Trump posing by his helicopter and gilded building projects with his early comb-over hairdo....omg that's great TV

Iron Fist is done. Wasn't a fan from the little I saw on the Defenders.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yeah, the Defenders.

Marvel's insistence that literally every single piece of fiction they produce, no matter how different in tone or style, simply must take place in the same continuity (Jessica "I Self Medicate With Alcohol After My Horrific Abuse by Kilgrave" Jones and Frank "I Express My Overwhelming Grief at the Loss of My Family by Violently Murdering Criminals" Castle exist in the same world where there's a talking koala and a tree-thing having whacky adventures, and ninjas sometimes go out dressed as ninjas and attack people with medieval japanese weaponry), but also that you to forget about that fact unless they want you to do one of their Team Ups is downright bizarre.

I mean, do the Avengers really not give a fuck about the Hand's plan to completely destroy New York? Do all those people in the Punisher who are prepared to go that damn far to protect the US from islamic terrorism really have nothing to say about that time the earth got attacked by aliens or a rogue AI nearly destroyed the entire planet?
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Iron Fist is done. Wasn't a fan from the little I saw on the Defenders.
    Iron Fist got a lot better after Defenders. Season 2 was actually pretty good, and left me looking forward to season 3. Hopefully this paves the way for Heroes for Hire though - they dropped enough hints in Luke Cage S2.