Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

Just finished watching The Umbrella Academy. Top notch production A couple of weak characters, and I'm just not a fan of Ellen Page or the type of character she plays in this show (or in anything else, really), but almost all of them felt authentic in a comic-book way. Outstanding characters in Hazel, Agnes, Cha-Cha, Klaus, Grace. Really looking forward to season 2 and I think there'll be more chemistry between the actors by then.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm watching True Detective season 3, Crashing season 3 and The Expanse, yep, season 3. All of the me are great.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Dirty John on Netflix is slowly pulling me in.
    Congratulations America

So, the True Detective Season 3 finale was last night...

Spoiler:
    Is there something biblical about Wayne finally meeting the missing girl but unable to remember why he was there, sort of like Moses looking at the Promised Land but unable to get there because of his sins. Wayne was quite a sinner, too, so...

I sort of called what actually happened to the kids a few episodes ago. I guessed the boy died accidentally, but I thought the girl was Hoyt's secret illegitimate child, which he wanted to take out of a nasty home, not the obsession of his mad daughter (which wasn't even hinted at prior). Personally, I thought my idea was more compelling, but I admit it falls apart when you ask why Hoyt wouldn't just sue for custody. In any case, the big hints/ misdirection in the show pointed to some sort of pedophile cult, which I wasn't buying. Given that the girl was alive but never found, I guessed (correctly) that the writers wouldn't have the guts to put her with pedophiles the whole time.

Also, I thought Wayne's wife shamelessly milked him for information, hurting him in the process, and really, IMHO, wasn't innocent of responsibility for the results at all. Though, he was dick to her a lot too, so, things even out I guess.

Lastly, one thing I thought very implausible was how Harris tried to fight his way free in the barn. Seriously? He was a cop, he knew they were armed, and he'd likely be shot. I doubt he would take the very low odds of getting free over prison time for whatever the confession they beat out of him. It didn't seem realistic to me -- I'd have wrote it that they accidentally killed him.

On a side note, I always notice these days the disconnect between television and real police shootings. Apparently, police are trained that if you have to use your weapon, make sure whoever you're shooting is fucking dead. That's why so many unarmed black men are shot ten or twelve times -- it's police training. But you never see a suspect shot ten or twelve times on TV by a good-guy cop. I think writers/ directors believe it would blow people's minds to see that.

EDIT: Last note -- did anyone notice one of the pedophiles pictured in the old newspaper article was Woody Harrelson? He's an executive producer for the show, so I think he did the cameo as a joke.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 02-25-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Babylon 5 managed to do just that - a multi-season arc even!
    Ages ago, but I got the collectors box some time ago and re-watched most of it.

Finished True Detective S3, I have to say that it was a huge disappointment in the end.
    The first 4-5 episodes were solid and then it lost itself.

Found out that CBS American Survivor s38 recently started to air.
    (though so far a disappointment...)

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    Finished True Detective S3, I have to say that it was a huge disappointment in the end.
    The first 4-5 episodes were solid and then it lost itself.
    It wasn't *that* bad...
    The Rules

So, we stopped watching ST: Discovery after s01e09, because of its oppressively depressing and comically grimdark aesthetic & tone, not to mention the clunky dialogue and, oh god, the awful, awful science, painful even by ST standards. Well, someone on the internet persuaded me to give it another shot, and the show does redeem itself to a great extent from episode 10 onward. The science is still crappy, and the humour virtually non-existent, but the stories are cooler and the dialogue, acting & direction noticeably better. I began to suspect that twist just a short while before the reveal, and it was very satisfying. Fairly happy with the introduction of new characters, and very happy to see several members of the main cast undergoing steady development. The science is still just offensively bad, but closer to the genre standard, making it easier to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    So, we stopped watching ST: Discovery after s01e09, because of its oppressively depressing and comically grimdark aesthetic & tone, not to mention the clunky dialogue and, oh god, the awful, awful science, painful even by ST standards. Well, someone on the internet persuaded me to give it another shot, and the show does redeem itself to a great extent from episode 10 onward. The science is still crappy, and the humour virtually non-existent, but the stories are cooler and the dialogue, acting & direction noticeably better. I began to suspect that twist just a short while before the reveal, and it was very satisfying. Fairly happy with the introduction of new characters, and very happy to see several members of the main cast undergoing steady development. The science is still just offensively bad, but closer to the genre standard, making it easier to swallow.
    How are you watching this? Paying via CBS or whatever?
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    How are you watching this? Paying via CBS or whatever?
    I have a massive trade deficit with Netflix

Netflix raised its subscription rates. $12.99/month isn't bad, especially since their original productions are so good. It just bugs me that it doubled last year's introductory rate, and now that I'm hooked....well, they certainly know what they're doing.

Standard subscription is still £5.99/month here. Worth it for The Good Place alone.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I have a massive trade deficit with Netflix
    Oh, I didn't know Discovery was on netflix
    The Rules

In 188 countries

fucking CBS all access bullshit.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Netflix raised its subscription rates. $12.99/month isn't bad, especially since their original productions are so good. It just bugs me that it doubled last year's introductory rate, and now that I'm hooked....well, they certainly know what they're doing.
    Everyone's budget is different but for the amount of good programming $12.99 is a steal.

At their current rates they're pushing into a different market. Lots of people I know cancelled netflix at the rate hike until their $1 hulu subscriptions end in Dec, and Philo is only $16 for those fresh cord cutters that are still attached to certain channels.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

So someone told me to check out the Lethal Weapon TV show. It's decent easy-viewing but lacks soul. Wayans is a solid actor and he does a good job as Murtaugh, but the writers don't do a good job characterizing his relationship with Riggs. Riggs is just all wrong, both the character and the actor. The supporting cast is decent with the notable exception of the psychiatrist. There's some humour and some attempts at showing depth, but all the episodes so far have featured clumsy, heavy-handed use of some of the lamest tropes out there. The action is decent. I think they could've captured more of the feel of the movies if they'd gone with a similar style of soundtrack.

I have to say something about Star Trek: Discovery, S2.

I couldn't stand S1 at all. In early S2 Cpt. Pike makes an entrance, you might remind the character as the rejected captain from the pilot episodes of the origin.
    He shows up in a suit that actually looks trekkie but is clearly a desperate attempt to convince me that this is still remotely a Star Trek show.

Found season 3 of Into the Badlands on Netflix.

Still awesome

Love Death & Robots is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Love Death & Robots is great.
    Agreed! My favorite was the military werewolves.

I'm 2/3 of the way through and it relies too often on sex and/or ultraviolence. I will watch them all though.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    I'm 2/3 of the way through and it relies too often on sex and/or ultraviolence. I will watch them all though.
    That is actually something that is awesome about animation. You can do things relatively inexpensively compared to live action. Stuff like Secret War would be really expensive to do if it were live action.

Hanna (on Amazon Prime) is pretty good. It also relies on subliminal sex and ultraviolence (), but I like the spy/mole/mystery aspect and Jason Bourne type stuff with enhanced DNA of a young girl from Romania. It's like the Marvel comic book movies, but without any history or expectation, so it feels newish.

But mostly I like that it's something my son and I watch together. I look forward to that more than the show itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Hanna (on Amazon Prime) is pretty good. It also relies on subliminal sex and ultraviolence (), but I like the spy/mole/mystery aspect and Jason Bourne type stuff with enhanced DNA of a young girl from Romania. It's like the Marvel comic book movies, but without any history or expectation, so it feels newish.

But mostly I like that it's something my son and I watch together. I look forward to that more than the show itself.
    This was a movie back in 2011 and, iirc, I liked it well enough.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
    The Rules

Disney+ is going to be $7 a month. Holy hell
    https://www.abcactionnews.com/entert...TUBOfeX8nUAGEI

The OA

Three episodes into S1. It's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Game of Thrones... what a fun first episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Game of Thrones... what a fun first episode!
    It was the needed filler episode, I would recommend to wait and watch s8e1 and s8e2 together.

I've watched three episodes of Barry on HBO and I'm not sure if I like it or not. Maybe that means I don't? Sometimes a show doesn't hit its stride until a few episodes in. That's how Crashing was, and I like that one very much.
    The Rules

GoT s08e02.... Booooo so far... Zzzzzzzz...
    Now they have wasted 1 h on crap they don't really need to explain/go into and the CG is plastic padding.
    (actually, the dragons might have looked better in plastic so far)

So I turn to Billions... one of my new favourites, granted s03 was a new direction... s04 is just annoying so far and full of unrealistic faults/errors, pretty much like s03 but WORSE.

Barry s01e01-e02... wtf?

*sigh*