Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1377

Thread: teevee sucks

  1. #1291
    Yeh. Disappointed with that entire episode

    I can't even be bothered to write up a summary of my disappointed thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  2. #1292
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yeh. Disappointed with that entire episode

    I can't even be bothered to write up a summary of my disappointed thoughts.
    I enjoyed the destruction. But that's me.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  3. #1293
    Spoiler:
    This week on Game of Thrones: Friendship is Magic, Sandor was reunited with his brother and gave him a big hug, Arya took a walk through the city and made some new friends and Danyerys indulged her passion for urban renewal.
    Some people are too dense to bother with

  4. #1294
    I wonder if GRRM is sitting back laughing at it all. He wrote those strong female leads that the show got all its original praise for, yet he took flack for how sexualized everything was. Which to be honest, he did on purpose because he was annoyed with how prudish americans were when it came to boobs compared to violence.
    Without him, the characters fall apart, the sexposition is gone, and all we're left with is the cool visual violence.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  5. #1295


    guys do you realize how subtle the writing on this show is
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  6. #1296
    Because bad guys just drop nukes for the fun of it. They should have at least made Daenerys burn the city because it was necessary for victory.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  7. #1297
    but... it's backwards from what you normally expect. plot twist!

    She's actually worse than the Mad King at this stage. He tried to burn the city to the ground because he was about to lose everything: she did it because... she won? Also, she went from 'slightly paranoid and not entirely without justification' to mass-murderer in like 3 days straight, whereas it took the mad king years to get to that stage. Apparently Targaryen madness is a switch that just goes off one day.
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  8. #1298
    Easy solution: put the ballistas throughout the city's residential areas (see Gaza). Daenerys can burn down the city because it's the only way to avoid getting her dragon killed. She becomes evil, but in a believable way. And you don't make ballistas obsolete in the space of an episode.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  9. #1299
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And you don't make ballistas obsolete in the space of an episode.
    Yeah that is honestly my biggest beef. So much missed opportunity for Arya to go in and sabotage them. Or have some rough fighting until her army can get the walls and take them out before the dragon can be unleashed on the rest of the army. SOMETHING instead of just OP taking everyone out willy nilly.

  10. #1300
    Dany isn't one of the good guys. The showrunners are dumb and don't respect their audience, but burning King's Landing is an acceptable development.

    https://www.google.se/amp/s/io9.gizm...1834722527/amp
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  11. #1301
    Senior Member Flixy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Easy solution: put the ballistas throughout the city's residential areas (see Gaza). Daenerys can burn down the city because it's the only way to avoid getting her dragon killed. She becomes evil, but in a believable way. And you don't make ballistas obsolete in the space of an episode.
    That'd work better yes.

    By the way, i thought i saw green explosions throughout the city, which would indicate hidden wildfire caches? Would have been interesting if Daenerys only burnt the city to the extent needed but because of hidden wildfire everything burnt down anyway and she'd get the blame for burning it all down.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

  12. #1302
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dany isn't one of the good guys. The showrunners are dumb and don't respect their audience, but burning King's Landing is an acceptable development.

    https://www.google.se/amp/s/io9.gizm...1834722527/amp
    The problem isn't Mad Queen Danaerys, it's that they couldn't be bothered to do the work of getting the character there in a believable fashion. People are calling it a heel turn, which is apt because it was about as out of nowhere as one done in professional wrestling.

    She should have just smashed a folding chair into the back of Jon's head.
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  13. #1303
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Dany isn't one of the good guys. The showrunners are dumb and don't respect their audience, but burning King's Landing is an acceptable development.

    https://www.google.se/amp/s/io9.gizm...1834722527/amp
    She didn't run out of cards to play; she conquered the city before she nuked it.

    Edit: Like everything else in life, the heel turn was predicted by the Simpsons.

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/simpsons-...093000542.html
    Last edited by Loki; 05-15-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  14. #1304
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate the sheer pointlessness of Bronn's sub-plot this season.
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  15. #1305
    Or Bran's. Except Bran's lasted 7 seasons.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  16. #1306
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The problem isn't Mad Queen Danaerys, it's that they couldn't be bothered to do the work of getting the character there in a believable fashion. People are calling it a heel turn, which is apt because it was about as out of nowhere as one done in professional wrestling.

    She should have just smashed a folding chair into the back of Jon's head.
    It would have worked better already if they had re-arranged the events that led up to the destruction a little bit. The death of another one of her dragons and Missandei could have made her snap; but only if she'd have snapped immediately, not days later.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  17. #1307
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Can we just take a moment to appreciate the sheer pointlessness of Bronn's sub-plot this season.
    His final interplay and the conclusion to his arc was the pen-work of a literary mastermind though.

    Bronn: "I'm gonna kill you with this here crossbow"
    Tyrion & Jamie: "Please don't. Have a Highgarden"
    Bronn: "ok"
    [exit stage left]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  18. #1308
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    She didn't run out of cards to play; she conquered the city before she nuked it.
    Or you could, you know, read beyond that sentence
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  19. #1309
    SciAm published a very interesting read on why people liked the show to begin with and why they hate what the show runners did to it in season 8 (besides crappy, lazy writing). The article argues that fans would have hated the final season even if it was well written. Too long to post here, so go to the link.

    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...me-of-thrones/
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  20. #1310
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,581
    Interesting take, but also one that tells us that Martin won't fare much better as he tries to wrap up the story lines. He, like D&D in the series has made individual characters more important than the story. His first problems started when he decided R+L=J. Because why would that even matter if we simply do not have a anti-Targaryen faction threatening her rule? Just two guys talking doesn't make sense as the force that pushed Dany over the edge.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  21. #1311


    Metal.
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  22. #1312
    GoT finale:

    Spoiler:
    Yet another insurmountable threat (heavily relying on Nazi imagery) tackled in the first 10 minutes of an episode. No one wants to follow the North's lead in declaring independence. And the whole elective monarchy thing doesn't apply to the North. So much for that wheel breaking. Needless to say, the execution was truly terrible (even if the general plot points probably followed Martin's wishes).
    Hope is the denial of reality

  23. #1313
    Final episode 5/10. It wrapped things up had some powerful moments. Just ignore the concept of plot and it was OK.

  24. #1314
    It was stupid.

    Spoiler:
    Sansa just announces that the North will be independent and every other Lord/ Lady is like "we're cool with still being subjugated to King's Landing, and cool with the North going their own way, no problem"??? Please, that's absurd. They'd ALL be like "fuck this 6 kingdom bullshit, we're all going our own way, just like we were BEFORE the fucking Targaryons showed up with their fucking dragons way back when." Dumb dumb dumb. And Arya's an explorer now? What? Where the fuck did that come from? And last, the two main characters, last people standing in line for the iron throne? One's dead and the other walks off full of sorrow to live beyond the wall... what. the. fuck.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  25. #1315
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................
    Spoiler:

    Jon is the only one who got a legit happy ending. Its what he has wanted since he ended up in this mess. Even if the night watch has no purpose now.


    I'd consider watching something involving taming and rebuilding beyond the wall.


    The episode suffered the same problem the season as a whole did. No build up to justify the actions. Why Bran, he did nothing that shows his skills will keep him ahead of the game. The north being independent was expected but why did no one follow?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  26. #1316
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  27. #1317
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................
    Spoiler:

    Jon is the only one who got a legit happy ending. Its what he has wanted since he ended up in this mess. Even if the night watch has no purpose now.


    I'd consider watching something involving taming and rebuilding beyond the wall.


    The episode suffered the same problem the season as a whole did. No build up to justify the actions. Why Bran, he did nothing that shows his skills will keep him ahead of the game. The north being independent was expected but why did no one follow?

    The wall looked like it was magically rebuilt already.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  28. #1318
    Did... did they just resolve the central conflict of the series with Tyrion giving an Inspiring Speech, convincing all those newly minted Westerosi Lords to Put Aside Their Own Interests And Do The Right Thing In Exactly The Way They Haven't For 8 Seasons and put... *checks notes* Bran Stark on the throne in an elective monarchy? They should have broken up the seven kingdoms entirely, that would have made sense. The Targaryens are gone, the Iron Throne's gone, King's Landing is ruined, no-one has their the strength to fight another war. What's the basis for the political entity of the seven kingdoms now?

    Well, whatever, it's over now.

    I thought when they brought out the in-universe book called A Song of Ice and Fire, they were going to make a crack about how the Maester who wrote it still hasn't finished it. Probably for the best they didn't. Also, that small council scene was trash.

    Anyway. Big ups for House Stark coming from, honestly, pretty far behind at one point, to take the entire continent in the last episode.
    One more summer and yet another, the more things change the more they stay the same
    Apathetic inaction is gaining traction, when the lost don't play they lose the game
    Don't fade out we'll go off script, the last scenes behind our silent lips, we're signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act
    Nobody's seen the first act of a hundred stories just like yours through the history of an endless war
    They've come back, signed on for a sequel but nobody's seen the first act before

  29. #1319
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Did... did they just resolve the central conflict of the series with Tyrion giving an Inspiring Speech, convincing all those newly minted Westerosi Lords to Put Aside Their Own Interests And Do The Right Thing In Exactly The Way They Haven't For 8 Seasons and put... *checks notes* Bran Stark on the throne in an elective monarchy? They should have broken up the seven kingdoms entirely, that would have made sense. The Targaryens are gone, the Iron Throne's gone, King's Landing is ruined, no-one has their the strength to fight another war. What's the basis for the political entity of the seven kingdoms now?
    It's ridiculous.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  30. #1320
    GoT final EP, a pretty good save.
    Spoiler:
    Jon, that idiot. Was offered unconditional love and destroyed it to save the world. What a waste. Anyone that has lived with a broken heart for a longer time knows this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •