Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

I just finished Season 1 of Killing Eve. It was pretty darn good.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Villanelle is a pretty awesome character

Jodie Comer has the most outrageous Scouse accent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

"Chernobyl" is very good. Depressing, but still worth watching.

Yeh I wanna catch that. Looks good.

Good Omens starts on Prime today, if any of you have read the Gaiman/Pratchett book.

It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Yeh I wanna catch that. Looks good.

Good Omens starts on Prime today, if any of you have read the Gaiman/Pratchett book.

It's quite lovely feels more Pratchett-y than Gaiman-y. Tennant comes across as a low-rent Bill Nighy impersonator at first, but quickly finds his stride.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I hope I can get my wife to watch Good Omens with me.

So this week I watched Billions s04e11.
    Not as solid as the last ep but the characters and drama are so believable it makes it worth it. Really nice.

It kinda sucks that I can remember free TV shows before they became re-runs on paid 'retro' channels, but only because it makes me feel old.

I used to love watching Kimba, the White Lion as a child, along with Johnny Quest. Funny how studios decided what to resurrect or re-make, and what my kids ended up watching in their own childhood years. Would that be the Lion King or Scooby-Doo phenomenon?

The Little Bear series was particularly good because the animation was true to the books. Ditto for Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit. Probably the only time animation lived up to its book origins. (Marvel and DC comic books don't count)
    Last edited by GGT; 06-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    I hope I can get my wife to watch Good Omens with me.
    She called it a tv-show for kids.

I can sort of accept that she won't watch st:tng with me but she refuses to watch anything sci-fi, fantasy and action related. *sigh*

Villanelle is a pretty awesome character

Jodie Comer has the most outrageous Scouse accent though.

Holy balls her real accent is nuts why didn't I think to watch an interview with her sooner

Hearing a Scouser say "purple" is one life's underappreciated pleasures.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

I just watched the last episode of the most recent season of Games of Thrones. It was hard to follow and honestly wasn't that engaging, so don't think I'll watch the next season when it comes on.

But I am continuing my British subjugation and watching "Crashing" and "The Bodyguard".

Every episode of season three of Jessica Jones is better than every episode of every other Marvel show. Solid story, great plotting, decent dialogue, fantastic casting & characterization, and has even broken the curse of weird pacing that so marred the previous productions. Well, at least up to now; I've only seen the first half. Just incredibly satisfied right now.

I'm only up to episode two, but it does seem better than season 2 was. Low bars, though. I don't think I'd go so far to say that it's better than every episode of every other Marvel show - Daredevil Season 3 was a thing, and so was the Punisher arc of DD Season 2. I like how they seem to have really embraced the noir aspects this season.

I have been getting struck by just how unlikable Jessica has become though. I remember when she was the best part of Defenders, but the unrelenting brooding is wearing on me.

Exactly the opposite for me; I'm finding her less brooding and enjoying seeing her and the others going through their respective growth processes. The other shows were more focused on flashing the stereotypical accoutrements of superhero stories, and were hampered by the need for distracting crossovers and tie-ins, whereas JJ this season has had a clearer focus on its own substance. Whereas the first season dealt creatively but in a heavy-handed fashion with its core theme[s], telling a story about some cool people, this season skillfully paints a much more nuanced picture from multiple well-developed perspectives, creating a more complete—and more real—experience. Def. gotten a better grip of how to use the noir flairs effectively—almost never feels forced or out of place, just feels like a well-made production.

Let's face it, we'll never agree on a TV-show

I just finished season 2 of Fleabag (Amazon Prime), which is the end of the show entirely. I really liked it, the whole thing. Recommend.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

I've been trying to get through the last season of Game of Thrones. I knew it wasn't well received going into it, but the first two episodes were good, and I really liked the second. The third made me angry. I kept going until the point where

Game of Thrones Episode 4:
    The iron fleet disengaged their cloaking devices and fired guided scorpion bolts at the dragons. Then they engaged their warp drives to get back to King's Landing.

I've been stuck at that point for a while, and I'm about to lose access to HBO again, but I think I'm done. I'll just try to convince myself that the series ended on a cliffhanger right before the siege of Winterfell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've been trying to get through the last season of Game of Thrones. I knew it wasn't well received going into it, but the first two episodes were good, and I really liked the second. The third made me angry. I kept going until the point where

Game of Thrones Episode 4:
    The iron fleet disengaged their cloaking devices and fired guided scorpion bolts at the dragons. Then they engaged their warp drives to get back to King's Landing.

I've been stuck at that point for a while, and I'm about to lose access to HBO again, but I think I'm done. I'll just try to convince myself that the series ended on a cliffhanger right before the siege of Winterfell.
    Honestly stop here. The ending is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I just finished season 2 of Fleabag (Amazon Prime), which is the end of the show entirely. I really liked it, the whole thing. Recommend.
    It's been a bit of a hit here in the UK ... people do say they really liked it.

We watched the first three episodes of S1 and just couldn't get into it. Neither of us liked the main character. And I'm not sure the viewer is meant to like her but she irritated me. Didn't have any desire to see more of her.

Phoebe Waller-Bridges herself is hilarious though.

It's been a bit of a hit here in the UK ... people do say they really liked it.

We watched the first three episodes of S1 and just couldn't get into it. Neither of us liked the main character. And I'm not sure the viewer is meant to like her but she irritated me. Didn't have any desire to see more of her.

Phoebe Waller-Bridges herself is hilarious though.
    I had the EXACT same experience. After episode 3 I decided if it didn't improve immediately, I'm done. And it did. A lot. And the end of season 1 crystallizes in a way, for me anyway, that I've never experienced before. You're in the setup, which feels like a weird, unhappy jumble, that all comes together beautifully. Trust me.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Honestly stop here. The ending is insulting.
    I second. It is literally not worth your time to just be annoyed and disappointed.
    The Rules

So I'm still totally in love with Legion's insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    So I'm still totally in love with Legion's insanity.
    Where are you watching Legion? Hulu? Its not on Amazon or Netflix...
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Where are you watching Legion? Hulu? Its not on Amazon or Netflix...
    Amazon. I paid the $20 for the season. Season 3 will show up on Hulu eventually if you don't want to pay the impatience tax. The first two seasons are already there - it looks like they lag by about 9 months.

There's a flying mecha-narwhal. I don't regret my purchase.

When they see you. Hard to watch, but what was hard to digest that Oprah special at the end of the series. You just sat through 4 episodes of 5 innocent lives being destroyed and then you get a chat show with a woman who is at least partially responsible for the extent of the destruction. Injust incarceration is bad enough, but to have to register as a sex offender makes it all but impossible to make a new start. And that is exactly what Oprah campaigned for years ago.
    Congratulations America

I watched the first episode. Hard to watch for sure, and i imagine the next episodes won't be any easier. I wasn't aware there's an oprah special in the end though.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Ooh S4

Gone beyond the books then.

Nope, there are more books in the series! I stopped reading at this point

The one review I saw was negative, but I'm really liking the new season of Veronica Mars. I like the focus on the mystery, and it's done well - there isn't any reliance on idiot balls to move the plot forward. It helps that I'm a sucker for anything noir. First episode was kinda boring though.

Okay, getting into Halt and Catch Fire. It's the prequal to San Junipero.