Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Does anyone else find Two and a half men amusing? I get a lot of laughs out of this Charlie Sheen Mocumentary.
    The brother-man humor is funny, but the show's women crack me up--especially their mother.

Yeah the mother is a brilliant character - she reminds me of my previous employer!

Charlie is just playing himself, Alan is hilarious - the guy is just funny no matter how he presents, happy, sad, lonely, whatever - I think he just has a "laugh at me" face. The kid comes out with some classic kid lines.

Weird thing is, even though I've always had a good laugh when I watch the show I rarely watch it, even now that its syndicated and repeated continuously - I suppose I'm just not a regular TV watching kinda guy.

Except for Footy.
    Such is Life...

My younger son and I used to watch it together. He liked it, and it gave us a chance to laugh at divorced life/fathers/sons/brothers/mothers, the whole bit. When we watch it now in re-runs he gets a kick out of the boy growing up and figuring out relationships with his wacky dad/mom/uncle/grandma/girls at school.

Been watching Leverage. It's fairly good, though I think the writers do seem to be a bit over-reliant on cheap tricks to wrap up the stories.

http://blastr.com/2010/09/syfy-brings-caprica-back.php

Fucking finally.

Also, since The Good Wife was renewed and I thought it sounded interesting I'm going to try it and see how it is.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

It's a straightforward legal drama with feminist overtones and decent actors. Mindless but okay.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Happy and unsettled by the Caprica news. Seldom does it bode well if networks mess around with schedules.
    Congratulations America

Well they are still messing with schedules sufficiently to keep their stupid wrestling on Friday nights, anyway.

I think there was a lot of outcry over there being an entire year between season halves, when apparently the second half was even already filmed.

Yeah I know, but this also smacks of a series that might not be re-newed and thus gets pushed up.
    Congratulations America

We'll see.

I'd think they would be more likely to push a series that won't be renewed back instead of forward, though (or not air it at all)

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    We'll see.

I'd think they would be more likely to push a series that won't be renewed back instead of forward, though (or not air it at all)
    It has been filmed already and now they'll at least lose less of the audience they were losing by putting in a fucking one year gap.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It has been filmed already and now they'll at least lose less of the audience they were losing by putting in a fucking one year gap.
    There have been other series filmed but never aired (or episodes of). It all comes down to money for the network, and what they promised the producers.

Happy and unsettled by the Caprica news. Seldom does it bode well if networks mess around with schedules.
    They did the same thing with BSG long hiatus thing, and that was a big money-maker for them. Moving Caprica forward could be part of a ploy to get more viewers for SGU and/or Sanctuary. It's also entirely plausible that the schedule weirdness they do is just because the Syfy network is run by a bunch of drunk monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The brother-man humor is funny, but the show's women crack me up--especially their mother.
    I love Two and a Half Men, very funny!

Watched a TV show I wouldn't normally tonight, long-running soap Eastenders. I hate soaps generally, but Amanda watches every episode of Eastenders now. I typically play computer games while she watches it but tonight was a major plot finale that had been trailled even on the news for months. The landlady of the pub, the Queen Vic, centre of the town had locked up inside it her alcoholic son Phil who had become a crack addict, in order for him to detox. The whole town was in the pub due to a wedding and Phil escaped and set the pub on fire with it seeming to be completely destroyed.

Even though I don't watch the show, seeing a building burn and wondering who would die is fun, cool images for the fire. I'm a bit of a pyro

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    [...] the Syfy network is run by a bunch of drunk monkeys.
    As evidenced by renaming SciFi into Syfy.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I love Two and a Half Men, very funny!

Watched a TV show I wouldn't normally tonight, long-running soap Eastenders. I hate soaps generally, but Amanda watches every episode of Eastenders now. I typically play computer games while she watches it but tonight was a major plot finale that had been trailled even on the news for months. The landlady of the pub, the Queen Vic, centre of the town had locked up inside it her alcoholic son Phil who had become a crack addict, in order for him to detox. The whole town was in the pub due to a wedding and Phil escaped and set the pub on fire with it seeming to be completely destroyed.

Even though I don't watch the show, seeing a building burn and wondering who would die is fun, cool images for the fire. I'm a bit of a pyro
    Barbara Windsor's big finale eh? Think they even put it on post-watershed didn't they?

Used to watch 'Stenders on the odd occasion well over a decade ago. Used to like the old BYANCAAA and RICKEEEE plot-lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

After getting rid of my addiction to Neighbours 25 years ago I vowed to never again watch any soaps.
    Congratulations America

After getting rid of my addiction to Neighbours 25 years ago I vowed to never again watch any soaps.
    I never understood the whole Neighbours addiction thing, apparently people get hooked on that show and have to quit cold turkey.

I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes without cringing and changing channels or turning the telly off, although it has managed to be a platform for plenty of young actors to start their careers - which has to be a good thing.
    Such is Life...

I never understood the whole Neighbours addiction thing, apparently people get hooked on that show and have to quit cold turkey.

I have never been able to watch more than a few minutes without cringing and changing channels or turning the telly off, although it has managed to be a platform for plenty of young actors to start their careers - which has to be a good thing.
    Looking back I also don't understand it, but to get my daily dose at 1pm was more important than anything else I could think of. It was the time that Kylie and Jason were an item on the show (I don't even remember the names of their characters). The only names I remember was that holier than thou know it all Harold and Henry of course, because he was shown naked from behind
    once and worth looking at.

I did go cold turkey indeed, and wouldn't even know if the show is still running or not.
    Congratulations America

Oh Neighbours is still going strong, mostly due to international sales of the show. I remember Harold, not sure about Henry though...
    Such is Life...

Oh Neighbours is still going strong, mostly due to international sales of the show. I remember Harold, not sure about Henry though...
    Oh you wouldn't, he was some beefcake thrown in. Couldn't act for his life, but the shapes made it all acceptable
    Congratulations America

OK, now I do know who you mean - he is Craig McLachlan. I looked up Neighbours Henry.

He also had a go at singing, which was a dismal failure like most other soapie - pop star conversions.

http://www.craig-mclachlan.com/

Hilarious!
    Such is Life...

I guess Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your mother are both really popular among youngsters. I however prefer Top Gear and Mythbusters, along with the occasional scientific line-up on Discovery / National Geographics / BBC / Travel.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

I just saw a commercial for Boardwalk Empire - starts Sunday on HBO, and I might try it out.

I find it entertaining that you old fuckers are being called youngsters now. Not that I don't agree with the kid's assessment of your taste (but I find his equally terrible).

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    It's a straightforward legal drama with feminist overtones and decent actors. Mindless but okay.
    You nailed it.

I'm looking forward to House on Monday.

big bang theory
    how i met your mother
    rules of engagement
    mike and molly
    two and half men
    the middle
    modern family
    the middle
    wwe smackdown

Anyone see The Event last night? I have it on my DVR, but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth watching?

I didn't even record it, I figured you'd watch it and tell me if I wanted to or not.

The League. It's childish and predictable, but so god damn funny.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Anyone see The Event last night? I have it on my DVR, but haven't watched it yet. Is it worth watching?
    I just watched it. Gawd, once again writer's imagination trumps reality just so that a Deus Ex Machina can save the day.

Okay, so the plane is hijacked in an attempt to ram it into the villa the president is in. Then the story warps reality:
    a) The incoming plane causes a hurricane-like storm at the villa while it is still more than one mile out.
    b) The plane is accompanied by an interceptor craft which does not exactly live up to his name: Neither the fact that it's on a straight line to the president nor the fact that it's already flying quite low warrant a kill shot. And when the fighter finally decides to go for it, his "systems are jammed". Right. But still manages to pull the fighter up from its descent.
    c) The Secret Service gets the president into a car. And then they just stand there and watch the incoming plane through the open door. The car isn't even started. Everyone just looks "shocked" into the sky: "Oh noes! A plane!", and yes, that includes the "Get the president the hell out of Dodge!" goon squad.

Sometimes I really want to write those people and ask them: Are you trying to insult our intelligence?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?