Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

On Shannara - I feel like it could have been good. It was very interesting but it always felt a bit too cheap to really invest time in.
    s1 was better than s2 for sure, and yet not! And that sums it up.

I have been watching s2 of undercover this week (Netflix, Belgium).
    I really like s1 and s2 was also pretty solid.

I've only seen season one of Undercover and it was pretty good. (I was surprised really). I'll give season 2 a try as well. I thought it was a dutch/belgian co-production. Half of the main characters are played by Dutch actors.

What's funny about Undercover is that it's automatically subtitled in Dutch for me. Even though everybody speaks Dutch in it. Half of them northern and half of them southern, but all of them still well within the bounds of standard. I wonder if non-Dutch speakers can tell the difference.
    Last edited by Hazir; 11-21-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Congratulations America

Godless

Hadn't heard of this before. Apparently a winner of multiple Emmys, and featrues Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson among others.

Caught the first episode last night. Too early to tell but might be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Finished the clone wars, it was good first couple of seasons were ok but not that amazing, but the last 3 or so seasons were excellent.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Godless

Hadn't heard of this before. Apparently a winner of multiple Emmys, and featrues Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson among others.

Caught the first episode last night. Too early to tell but might be good.
    It's great and got killed way too early.
    Congratulations America

The undoing. Watch before it gets spoiled.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Godless

It's great and got killed way too early.
    Was good. Enjoyed.

But yes, it could have stretched to a much, much longer series, and felt rushed in places as a result.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Raised by Wolves

Directed by Ridley Scott, in a rare outing to the small screen.

Hadn't heard of it till now, just released here on 5th Dec, but I think it's been out in the US since September.

Anyone watching? Certainly looks intriguing from the few bits I've read ...

Raised by Wolves

Directed by Ridley Scott, in a rare outing to the small screen.

Hadn't heard of it till now, just released here on 5th Dec, but I think it's been out in the US since September.

Anyone watching? Certainly looks intriguing from the few bits I've read ...
    I watched it. It's okay. I say that because it sort of goes off the rails mid way and kinda stays off. I recommend you watch it, but it's not awesome.

I liked Godless too. I think every bandit must have got shot twice, at least, in that last battle. And the way the writers threw away Whitey frickin' pissed me off. What a waste. Note - this was a "limited series," meaning it didn't get cancelled, it was just never planned for more than it was.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

...and of course we should look past the credits on the last mandalorian ep, s2e16!

Please, stop with this look past the credits. It's only annoying.

Is S2 of the Mandalorian worth viewing?

I got a little bored of S1. Each episode felt identical. Bunch of no-gooders try to take yoda-baby. Mandalorian kicks some ass to protect yoda-baby. Rinse and repeat.

Oooooh just realised S5 of The Expanse is now out.

Woooo some excellent xmas tellybox times a-coming.

You should pay better notion to what's said on the board. But maybe you were a bit busy moving home. I really like the first four episodes. I was a bit surprised at the name of the episode. I wonder if that's really the way they're going to take the story. Never got to read the books.

I binged through the three seasons of start up as I can't be bothered to seriously work these days. These days that end before they really got started really don't mix well with covid-19 lockdown.
    Congratulations America

Anyone here watch Happy? Hilarious show. Great casting. Shame it got axed after 2 seasons.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Oooooh just realised S5 of The Expanse is now out.

Woooo some excellent xmas tellybox times a-coming.
    YES SO HAPPY

First heard about/watching this while bedridden during Covid, and thrilled that I can pick it up with new episodes so soon after getting into it.

Binged Season 2 of The Mandalorian with my wife while the baby napped. Well-made and enjoyable, albeit without the feels of the more uneven but also more gripping first season. There were some genuinely moving scenes, but nothing that got to me like eg. the flashback when the Mandalorians find young DJ in s1, or the IG-11. Baby Yoda deserves an Emmy. The ending really caught me off-guard, because I hadn't realized where in the SW continuity this show actually fit. The soundtrack is still excellent, the visuals are good, the action is satisfying, the vibe is SW done right. The loooooong wait for s3 is gonna suck.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Here's something I don't understand: it used to be that advertisers "paid" for free TV, but we had to watch the commercials. When cable came along, people could "pay" for the privilege to watch TV without the commercial breaks. But now we have the worst of both worlds -- where we have to buy access to cable access AND see all the damned sponsored ads, too.

I've been watching a lot of football and basketball with my son during covid restrictions. Can't help but notice all the advertisements and corporate sponsorships --- it's everywhere; on the field, the court, on every surface, even on their jerseys and helmets. It's become like NASCAR where everyone and everything is plastered with advertising logos. Even the college bowls are named by its corporate sponsors (Capital One = Rose Bowl, Allstate = Sugar Bowl, etc.) and the stadiums are named by their biggest corporate donors (Staples, ATT, Citi, etc.)

So why does my cable TV/comcast bill come with a sports franchise fee that I can't opt out of? Aren't they already getting enough Billion$ in revenue from those merchandising contracts? And If I'm already paying a premium to get ESPN, why should I be forced to watch the incessant commercials, too?

GGT, so cut the cord. Millions of people have, including I'd wager much of this forum.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Comcast has a monopoly in my area. If I want access to their high-speed internet, and other streaming services, I'm forced to pay their "sport franchise" fees. Please tell me how I can "cut that cord" when it's an embedded cost, like taxes or 911 fees.
    Last edited by GGT; 01-04-2021 at 03:32 AM.

By paying for internet and not TV or phone. I've done it for years with both Comcast and RCN.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    By paying for internet and not TV or phone. I've done it for years with both Comcast and RCN.
    I tried that years ago (and used ATT/DishTV for TV and phone) but still had to pay Comcast's fees for sports franchises just to use their internet access, mostly for email. It's an embedded cost, like taxes, that's automatic and not an opt-out choice.

When I moved to my apartment, the leasing clause prohibited satellite dishes, so I was forced to use Comcast again, by default. Please tell me how I can cut that cord....when we're talking about monopoly powers.

Also, explain why we have so many high-speed internet *deserts* -- where parents have to drive their kids to "free wifi zones" in strip-mall parking lots, in order to connect them to their teachers and virtual classroom education.
    Last edited by GGT; 01-04-2021 at 04:37 AM.

I do not understand. I currently pay Comcast (sorry, 'xfinity') $98/month for 300 Mbps internet. That's the only line on my bill. I don't have any of the bullshit fees you get with TV or phone service. Unless you have some really weird laws in PA I don't see why an internet only plan would require a regional sports fee since you're not able to see sports anyways.

Is their price ridiculously high for mediocre service? Sure. But if the fees bother you, go for a different plan and kill your TV.

Maybe it's PA bullshit, but we have fees (or taxes) that aren't optional -- and you can't opt out. It makes sense that folks with cell phones should still contribute to 911 services that used to be funded by landline phones....but it doesn't make sense to enact extra surcharges for cable TV sports franchises, let alone internet services, when they're already handsomely paid by the advertisers who pass their costs onto consumers.

It's like double taxation, a scam, or a grift. I'm surprised more people don't notice this and complain about it. ($98/month for internet only is a rip-off.)

Is their price ridiculously high for mediocre service? Sure. But if the fees bother you, go for a different plan and kill your TV.
    And when there's a monopoly in a broadband desert, that's when moms set up their minivan in a parking lot, just to "connect" their kids to school. Yeah, you do not understand.

Damn, internet is expensive there. I still have cable TV (the cheapest package though), partially out of a sort of nostalgia (i like to just flip some channels and watch some crap every now and then), and because I'll end up watching some programs I otherwise wouldn't watch (particularly on public TV and the BBC). Have to say though: my subscription also includes Formula 1, and at least on cable you never have issues when watching a live race. Watched a bunch of times at friends who streamed (legally), and it happened a few times that right at the crucial moments you get buffering, lost connection, a chromecast that freezes, etc., cable just works. And for live streaming there still appears to be a little stuttering.

When streaming football I do enjoy the little delay - I am within earshot of the stadium so if I hear cheering I know to pay attention because something is about to happen on the stream of course, that doesn't work in crowdless Corona times.

$98 a month for a connection that slow? I pay that for a package that includes cable TV and a faster internet connection. I could drop cable TV but keep it for similar reasons as flixy.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Maybe it's PA bullshit, but we have fees (or taxes) that aren't optional -- and you can't opt out. It makes sense that folks with cell phones should still contribute to 911 services that used to be funded by landline phones....but it doesn't make sense to enact extra surcharges for cable TV sports franchises, let alone internet services, when they're already handsomely paid by the advertisers who pass their costs onto consumers.

It's like double taxation, a scam, or a grift. I'm surprised more people don't notice this and complain about it. ($98/month for internet only is a rip-off.)
    Are you seriously telling me that if you purchase internet alone - without TV or phone - you are charged a regional sports fee? That is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Damn, internet is expensive there. I still have cable TV (the cheapest package though), partially out of a sort of nostalgia (i like to just flip some channels and watch some crap every now and then), and because I'll end up watching some programs I otherwise wouldn't watch (particularly on public TV and the BBC). Have to say though: my subscription also includes Formula 1, and at least on cable you never have issues when watching a live race. Watched a bunch of times at friends who streamed (legally), and it happened a few times that right at the crucial moments you get buffering, lost connection, a chromecast that freezes, etc., cable just works. And for live streaming there still appears to be a little stuttering.

When streaming football I do enjoy the little delay - I am within earshot of the stadium so if I hear cheering I know to pay attention because something is about to happen on the stream of course, that doesn't work in crowdless Corona times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    $98 a month for a connection that slow? I pay that for a package that includes cable TV and a faster internet connection. I could drop cable TV but keep it for similar reasons as flixy.
    Sorta 'standard' ~100 Mbps internet is usually $40-50/month and that's what we had until the pandemic, we don't do much more than Netflix and email at home. But with our dramatically increased usage of bandwidth (typically 2-3 videochats at once + heavy use of cloud services) we shelled out for more. The added marginal cost for more bandwidth is quite small; I think it's about $110/month for 1 Gbps. But I frankly don't need the extra bandwidth and can come up with a better use for $150/year. I would consider fiber if it was actually available, but we all know the games Fios plays on that front.

There are promotional bundles with TV that cost similarly but I don't want to deal with the hassle of cancellation and return of equipment once the promo pricing ends... and we really don't miss watching TV.

But we all know that broadband connectivity in the US is unreasonably expensive. For me it's essentially a rounding error compared to the cost of housing, tuition, food, and healthcare (my biggest expenses by far, excluding taxes and retirement) but I imagine it's a substantial burden for people of modest means. There are crappy subsidized versions of broadband for the poor but it's far from ideal.

But we all know that broadband connectivity in the US is unreasonably expensive.
    Due to the land being the size of the US I suppose, the outlay of infrastructure, hardware and sheer cabling required for high-speed broadband across large expanses of land must be considerable.

500Mbps broadband and basic cable TV package here in the UK for £90 pm, so a little over a hundred US$.

Dang... our costs are baked into the monthly co-op fee, but I'd be surprised if the cable package + gigabit fiber cost even half that.

As for the TV year in review, although I really enjoyed season 2 of both Umbrella Academy and The Mandalorian, the clear winner was—hands down—Puppy Dog Pals on Disney+, a show about alternate universe Wiggin and his pets. We've started watching season 4 of The Expanse, and I already like it much more than the corresponding novel... but, because of baby Yodina, we can only watch one or maybe two episodes per night, and I desperately want to be able to binge it.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

The downside of a land the size of the US I suppose is the considerable outlay of infrastructure, hardware and sheer cabling required for high-speed broadband across large expanses of land.
    But IIRC wiggin lives in New England which is densely populated.