Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

hari seldon did space 9/11
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

al qaeda means 'the base'. 'the base', 'the foundation' coincidence??? see beyond
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Foundation is turning out to be a snoozefest. I don't know if I will be able to sit through another episode.
    Congratulations America

Just watched the last ep of Billions.
    It was a disappointment.

I think s1 and s2 was very good.
    Then it lost focus.

Just finished watching the final episode of The Good Place—and the first.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    It was a disappointment.

Then it lost focus.
    I have only seen an episode or two over the years. I was on a plane a week ago and they had the first episode of Season 5. It was sort of...unwatchable?

Think this is gonna be more well-made than WoT tbh

Can't wait for season 14.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Can't wait for season 14.
    I predict 8 seasons plus one movie on Prime

Have high hopes for the Blood Snow flashback:

They're releasing several teasers a week now but I'm tryna avoid posting ones that spoil cool scenes interviews with the cast suggest several of the actors have a good understanding of their characters. I think the good things are gonna outweigh all the annoying stuff. I hated the Whitecloaks in the books and it looks like they'll be even more annoying in the show, but I reckon it'll work out all right. Very excited

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Foundation is turning out to be a snoozefest. I don't know if I will be able to sit through another episode.
    I retract this, though they took generously long to get the bloody thing going.
    Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    It was a disappointment.

Then it lost focus.
    I agree, the woke angle also came accross as unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post

Think this is gonna be more well-made than WoT tbh
    First time I tried it, I didn't like it. I've changed my mind after binge-watching it. It's not that bad. (And Cavill) .

Looking forward to WoT very much, the first trailer looked good. I refused to see the other ones since the whole thing is 'spoiled' enough already as it is. At least the way they portray it could be a surprise.

I'm in love with Succession.
    Congratulations America

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/whee...150111210.html

Pretty good review for the Wheel of Time.

Mostly interested in the fan reviews, which have generally been very positive. Being rumored that Amazon has decided to go ahead with season 3. I was gonna check something in tGH and got sucked into the story again... really think seasons 2 and 3 are gonna be much more spectacular than most of season 1. Hoping that'll be enough to get Amazon to stick with it until the end, should be doable if they start doing 2+ books per season by then. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to see the first episodes until Sunday

Generic non-fan non-spoiler review of eps 1-3 from IGN very positive:

Non-spoiler fan-review of eps 1-6 from Dragonmount—very, very positive:

The latter review really assuaged one of my primary concerns about the adaptation. So psyched r n

I've been watching "Shtisel" on Netflix, and glad it has a 3rd season. I also watched "Unorthodox" and loved that, too. (Shira Haas is an amazing actor.)

There's something about these ultra-orthodox Jewish shows that really grab me. When I catch myself thinking how "odd" these characters are, culturally, I have to remind myself they're not too different from my neighbors in Lancaster County, PA who are Old Order Amish.

Anyway, it's really good TV! I got a kick learning that some orthodox Jews feel it's ok to watch it on Amazon (it's already part of their subscription fee) instead of signing up for Netflix streaming. All life is paradoxical.

We took three hours off today to just sit on the couch and watch the first three episodes of WoT it's a good thing they dropped the first three episodes all at once, because it's a slow start (despite the action-packed first episode). There are some issues with direction, and I'm not a big fan of the lighting and colour processing—looks too much like TV rather than like film—but they really did pretty much nail the casting, and it's cool seeing the world come to life like this. Really digging the celtic folk-rock soundtrack, not so much the weird-ass orchestral old tongue chanting. I was sad about the changes to Mat's backstory, but I must concede it was a good decision, story-wise. The Proud Boys of the Light are gonna be annoying. Really hope they stop overusing the shaky cam, and maybe give the trollocs a shave. My recommendation is to wait until you can binge the whole first season in one go.

I'm watching the first episode and I am happy you wrote that. I kinda get what they did to adapt the books but it also makes it feel a bit generic. The reds reminded me of the SoT.
    Congratulations America

Perrin was married??? That's a weird design choice.

I was bummed about missing the Manetheran story but they added it back in while they were travelling.

Overall I give it a good 9/10, it feels rushed but I don't think there will ever be a way it could not feel rushed without turning off every non-book reader. Excited to see how they handle things like the Eye of the World final confrontation and then the Seanchan in the next book.

Did they use the same CGI people who created Steppenwolf?

Just watched the first three episodes with my wife. I'm withholding judgment until I see more. The general atmosphere is a lot darker than I was expecting (and more adult) - one of the best parts of the early books IMO is the relative innocence and wonder the Two Rivers folk bring to the story. Here, I get the feeling that they're rural but not 'ridiculously isolated/sheltered' as in the books. The books had a bit of a Shire-like quality to it, but that really was missing here. We'll see if the changes they made to the backstory and behavior of the Two Rivers folk (especially Mat and Perrin) end up working well in the story as they tell it.

Some of the casting seems to have been really solid - Nynaeve and Moiraine in particular. Rand looks the part but I'm not yet sold. Mat's far too serious/cynical at this stage (barely a trickster at all) but I could imagine him growing into it. Perrin looks okay for the role but I haven't yet seen the deliberate, careful, thoughtful personality come through yet. Egwene and Lan I'm cautiously optimistic about.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what sections/characters they will axe, but so far there hasn't been anything too egregious (except, perhaps, Min). But some minor beefs that are definitely going to drive me crazy:

- The Tuatha'an weren't nearly colorful enough
    - Myrddraal don't have mouths that look like a Sarlacc, seriously WTF they're creepy enough without eyes
    - That heron mark sword looks like crap (and no backstory on how/why he's taking it along)
    - Where the fuck are Thom Merrilin's whiskers?
    - Oath Rod as a negotiated settlement with Arthur Hawkwing?

I'm kinda concerned that they're not going to do the saidar/saidin distinction either based on the implication that a woman could be the Dragon Reborn and some comments made by Liandrin. Channeling mechanics in general seem like they're going to be glossed over, which is a real shame.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Just watched the first three episodes with my wife. I'm withholding judgment until I see more. The general atmosphere is a lot darker than I was expecting (and more adult) - one of the best parts of the early books IMO is the relative innocence and wonder the Two Rivers folk bring to the story. Here, I get the feeling that they're rural but not 'ridiculously isolated/sheltered' as in the books. The books had a bit of a Shire-like quality to it, but that really was missing here.
    I stopped here cause I haven't seen the show yet, hopefully tonight.

The hobbits were innocent. Two river folk were ignorant. They were isolated/neglected, but they very much knew more than they were willing to believe. Perrin's Axe, Rand's parents, both biological and adopted, plus the trading caravans and Fain; all connected to the world outside of their little home.

A better comparison for the Two River folk would be the dursleys from Harry Potter.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

First episode done. I actually like Perrin's insecurity storyline better than the book, it makes a lot more sense than "I'm big and thus must be gentle"
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I stopped here cause I haven't seen the show yet, hopefully tonight.

The hobbits were innocent. Two river folk were ignorant. They were isolated/neglected, but they very much knew more than they were willing to believe. Perrin's Axe, Rand's parents, both biological and adopted, plus the trading caravans and Fain; all connected to the world outside of their little home.

A better comparison for the Two River folk would be the dursleys from Harry Potter.
    Agreed that the Shire isn't a perfect analogy, but the Dursleys? Really?
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I'm watching the first episode and I am happy you wrote that. I kinda get what they did to adapt the books but it also makes it feel a bit generic. The reds reminded me of the SoT.
    I just think of the first three eps as a long and weird pilot ep. Judging from the episode titles, things are gonna accelerate pretty quickly from ep 4. Honestly been a little surprised by the positive response from non-readers... but very happy ofc. If they survive three seasons, I think they'll survive to the end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Did they use the same CGI people who created Steppenwolf?
    If you're referring to the trollocs, they're mostly practical, with comparatively little CGI magic mfers need to shave though and I am already so over that lamprey-ass myrddraal... they spent more money and effort on making it less scary.

Emond's Fielders were very interested in the outside world—see eg. how they received Fain's update on current events in tEotW. They traded eg. tobacco with much of the Westlands, and events in the outside world had an obvious impact on that trade. But they lived in "a world where news traveled slowly", so to speak, and there's a limit to how connected you can be to the outside world under those circumstances.

First episode done. I actually like Perrin's insecurity storyline better than the book, it makes a lot more sense than "I'm big and thus must be gentle"
    I agree with Sanderson that the show may be taking on too much with that level of trauma that early, but I understand the decision, and I think the audience will be forgiving—even if they do end up dropping the ball a little.
    Spoiler:
    For some reason, I got the feeling that wasn't the first act of violence in that relationship—ie. that either he had hurt her, or vice versa, prior to Winternight. Feel like there is—or should be—more context we haven't yet gotten. Not sure how I feel about the fan-theory about her being a Darkfriend.

Like I said, I was sad about the change to Mat's backstory, but, by the third episode, I came to accept it as an understandable and effective move. It really sets up layered & interacting conflicts between everyone's view of Mat, his fractured view of himself, and his painful compulsion to do at least one thing right (take care of his sisters). As much as I loved Mat in the books, I never really felt like the conflict between people's assumptions about him and his true essence felt all that genuine; he was basically just a scamp, too nice to merit the extreme skepticism with which the girls viewed his every move. The Trickster trope worked for teen audiences in the '80s and '90s, but it was in dire need of an update—see eg. how Marvel has handled the ultimate Trickster character. Gonna be interesting to see how they swap out Barney Harris for Donal Finn seamlessly (as Judkins promised)... Hoping for a Days of Our Lives move... you see Barney-Mat (from behind) climbing into a hot-tub at the end of Season 1, and, in s02e01, there's a brief text saying something like "The part of Matrim Cauthon will be played by Donal Finn" while they show Don-Mat settling into the tub. Seamless

I haven't really posted about the show on FB, but friends and acquaintances have nevertheless been hitting me up with news about the show. I had no idea they knew I liked this series, but, also, I had no idea so many of them like it too bunch of my colleagues are also WoT-nerds—with some of them being new readers!—which was especially unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    I'm kinda concerned that they're not going to do the saidar/saidin distinction either based on the implication that a woman could be the Dragon Reborn and some comments made by Liandrin. Channeling mechanics in general seem like they're going to be glossed over, which is a real shame.
    Have faith: https://www.reddit.com/r/WoTshow/com...nd_saidar_not/

Just saw the first episode of Cowboy Bebop on Netflix and it's probably one of their most well-made episodes ever. Never got into the anime, but my wife—who has seen the anime—loved it too.

Sanderson is doing a mini-QA on the WOT reddit and talking about his experience (in a positive way) on advising the production.

Anyone of you watching Insecure? If not, you should consider.
    Congratulations America

Surprised/shocked to report Hawkeye doesn't suck

The reveals in this AMA with Judkins... omg squee

https://www.reddit.com/r/television/...tive_producer/