Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

I just finished Season 4 of Dexter and Season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Dexter was OK, not the best season, some idiotic story lines. Breaking Bad was excellent - best season yet. It's a fantastic show.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Just watched the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. It wasn't bad, but I don't know if I'll really get into it ever or not.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Tonight: 3 episode SVU marathon, since I didn't notice season 12 started until today

Rape and violence! Hopefully kiddy rape.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Now I've watched the first of the new season of SGU. It's amazing how fast the recorded programs pile up.

Still have The Whole Truth and Brothers and Sisters.

Maura Tierney may not be enough to get me into The Whole Truth, though.

All those series starting up; hard to keep up with it. I particularly didn't like this Rita-centric first episode of Dexter. And is it me or is Mad Men turning into a Peyton Place on Manhattan?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    a Peyton Place on Manhattan?
    Jesus Christ dude what are you, 50?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I've liked this season of Mad Men.

If I hear anyone all excited by any of the new series I'm not watching I'll check them out, too - but I probably have more than enough piled up now.

The Brothers and Sisters season opener was disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I just watched it. Gawd, once again writer's imagination trumps reality just so that a Deus Ex Machina can save the day.

Okay, so the plane is hijacked in an attempt to ram it into the villa the president is in. Then the story warps reality:
    a) The incoming plane causes a hurricane-like storm at the villa while it is still more than one mile out.
    b) The plane is accompanied by an interceptor craft which does not exactly live up to his name: Neither the fact that it's on a straight line to the president nor the fact that it's already flying quite low warrant a kill shot. And when the fighter finally decides to go for it, his "systems are jammed". Right. But still manages to pull the fighter up from its descent.
    c) The Secret Service gets the president into a car. And then they just stand there and watch the incoming plane through the open door. The car isn't even started. Everyone just looks "shocked" into the sky: "Oh noes! A plane!", and yes, that includes the "Get the president the hell out of Dodge!" goon squad.

Sometimes I really want to write those people and ask them: Are you trying to insult our intelligence?
    I spent most of that scene trying to come up with a way in which the windstorm they depicted wasn't absolulely retarded, instead of paying attention to it. I failed. They did the "aircraft miles away cause windstorms" thing again in the second episode too. But aside from the silliness that shows up whenever there's a scene with aircraft, the series actually seems alright. I strongly suspect that the reason nobody's talking about the truth of "the event" is going to turn out to be supremely stupid and just an excuse for the writers to drag things out, though.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I spent most of that scene trying to come up with a way in which the windstorm they depicted wasn't absolulely retarded, instead of paying attention to it. I failed. They did the "aircraft miles away cause windstorms" thing again in the second episode too. But aside from the silliness that shows up whenever there's a scene with aircraft, the series actually seems alright. I strongly suspect that the reason nobody's talking about the truth of "the event" is going to turn out to be supremely stupid and just an excuse for the writers to drag things out, though.
    It's either Aliens or Mutants.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Second Episode Spoiler:
    You get it in the first couple minutes, but still a spoiler: it's aliens. They're here doing something, and although they swear they're friendly, they won't tell anyone what the fuck they're doing. Also: I'm getting sick of aliens that look indistinguishable from humans. How do they even have the same range of ethnicities without any extra ones?
    Last edited by Wraith; 09-30-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Now, how did I know that without even watching the 2nd episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Jesus Christ dude what are you, 50?
    I'm 47, but of course I was playing on the fact that they mention Peyton Place all the time.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    I've liked this season of Mad Men.

If I hear anyone all excited by any of the new series I'm not watching I'll check them out, too - but I probably have more than enough piled up now.

The Brothers and Sisters season opener was disappointing.
    It was indeed a bit of a let down, but I suppose we needed a kickstart for the Kitty line for this season. What I found absolutely unbelievable was the mother working, actually working, at a flower shop. That didn't make sense.
    Congratulations America

Just finished SGU and Caprica.

I have nothing to say at all about SGU. Nothing. Maybe what they should do is have someone use the stones to switch places with Daniel Jackson every week. That would be much more entertaining.

Caprica, though...

Spoiler:
    I know they filmed this quite awhile ago, but it almost felt like it had lost momentum from the last episode. Skipping forward in time resolved things quickly and easily, but the resolution could have been interesting. I absolutely adore Clarice, so I hope they keep featuring her so much - and her and Amanda Greystone living together is just too fantastic.

I didn't pick up on the fact that they were in the same house.

I was quite pleased with this episode in general though even though I still don't understand the relevance of that cyberworld in everything. The references are clear, but looking at BSG, nothing worked out that way.

The attack looked pretty spectacular
    Congratulations America

This season of Bönes has started somewhat painfully, and I'm not sure I like where they're going, but it's interesting.

I saw a newer episode of Spooks. I used to like it years ago, but it seems to have spiraled into crazy over the top vast conspiracies in governments and security services instead of somewhat believable threats
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    This season of Bönes has started somewhat painfully, and I'm not sure I like where they're going, but it's interesting.
    I had such high hopes from Cam's detailing in the first episode why all of Brennan's grad students were unavailable, that they'd decided to stop the rotating and settled on Michael Terry as a more or less permanent guest star.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Eh, I just got around to watching that first episode and it really wasn't that bad.

The electrical storm made perfect sense if you don't see it as something caused by the plane, but caused by the event that makes the plane disappear. The interceptor aircraft aren't functioning as the pilots are telling. And finally, they are rushing the president out, and then everybody freezes because they see a plane disappear in full flight.
    Congratulations America

Thank you fans for taking the time to voice all of your comments, questions and opinions on our recent decision regarding the future of Caprica. We love all of our shows as much as we hope our viewers do, and continue to do our best to see that each one succeeds. In this case especially, we share in your disappointment.

We’ve read as many of the comments, Tweets, blog posts, faxes and emails as possible, and have chosen the most frequently asked questions to answer below.

Why aren’t you making another season of Caprica?

We would have loved to but the fact is, there have not been enough viewers to support another season. We can only afford to make shows if enough people watch them.

Isn’t that your fault for not marketing it properly?

Through marketing, enough viewers sampled Caprica to make it a success, but many of those didn’t come back for further episodes.

Did you consider DVR-use and online viewership when looking at its ratings?

DVR and online/digital viewership data were included in the decision making process. Overall, the resulting figures did not contribute significantly to the audience totals.

Isn’t that because you moved it from Friday to Tuesday?

It was not successful on Fridays so we moved it to Tuesdays (our most successful night) in an attempt to introduce it to new viewers.

Didn’t the hiatus between the first halves of the season kill the show’s momentum?

No, we regularly split seasons of our shows across the year (the Stargate franchise for example). Viewership after the hiatus continued to decline with each episode.

Did you cancel Caprica so you could make Blood & Chrome?

No, we were planning to produce the Blood & Chrome pilot even if Caprica remained on the air. We wish Caprica had done well enough so we could have both on the air.

Why are you showing the last 5 episodes next year instead of this year?

Given Caprica’s performance in this competitive time, we opted to move it back to 2011 as originally planned. We know it’s not an ideal scenario but the episodes will air.

We recognize your passion and contributions to this page; we will ensure that you are the first to know when the remaining 5 episodes are set to air. Once we have confirmed our schedule, the news will be posted here first.
    From their facebook page.

There aren't enough words to describe how much I hate them at this time.

Then again, they would've done better to show the actual first Cylon war.

Glad they worked Crowley back into Supernatural. Can never have too much Crowley. Still needs more Cas, even if he hasn't been as fun to watch this season.

Never saw Caprica, mostly because I was severely disillusioned by the BSG wrap up. No secret there. Too much mysticism... besides, it has all happened before, it will all happen again.....

Note- I fully acknowledge that Caprica could be great television and its cancellation a great loss. I feel for you Lilo.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Conan is so very funny. I've missed him.

Quote Originally Posted by assholes who take away good shows
    Caprica
    We've just confirmed the schedule for Caprica's final five episodes and, as promised, it’s posted here first. They’ll air back-to-back on Tuesday, January 4th from 6p to 11p on Syfy.
    I'm wearing my mad face again.

Burning through The Office season 6 via netflix. My opinion of Dwight continues to grow more favorable.
    The Rules

I have a whole bunch of shows recorded on my DVR that I haven't watched. I should spend quality time watching programming.

Watching Breaking Bad currently. It's actually pretty good. Into season 2 now.

My lady and I have become ever-so-slightly Come Dine With Me obsessive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

What ever you do Tim, don't get the DVD with the outtakes and most outrageous scenes - a little bit of a let down.