Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

Second season of Jessica Jones is the most well-made Marvel show so far. Loving it. Second act is a little worse than the first but they've really worked out the pacing issues and everyone's very comfortable in their roles. Excellent storytelling.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Currently watching Westworld.

I have to admit, I didn't see that Episode 8 plot twist coming. Not by a long shot.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Saw 12 eps of JJ yesterday and saw the finale today. Yup, def. the best Marvel show so far. Enjoyed it much more than season 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Saw 12 eps of JJ yesterday and saw the finale today. Yup, def. the best Marvel show so far. Enjoyed it much more than season 1.
    Not sure that I enjoyed it more, but was just as good...but different, which is where they needed to go.

I'm just sad I don't have any more to watch...
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Legion's back, and I'm very excited to not understand what's going on. Psychic dance battles!

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Currently watching Westworld.

I have to admit, I didn't see that Episode 8 plot twist coming. Not by a long shot.
    Planning to pick this up after I'm done with Stranger Things sII. Here v good things about it.

~

Tried watching Star Trek: Discovery

About 10 episodes in. Got off to a good start, much darker than previous Trek incarnations which I was happy about, and they ... swear

I quite liked the characters. Michael Burnham seemed enigmatic enough.

But then it descended into this ridiculous parallel universe plot sequence over several episodes where the Federation are instead evil Terrans.

The entire storyline around this plot stretched believability one tick too far for me and my interest waned. Not gone back to finish the series and not sure I can be arsed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Watched Season 1 of Atlanta. An often weird/ surreal, funny, and usually very well done show from black POV in Atlanta. It's pretty hard on white people of all stripes, often in an eye-rolling kind of way. I recommend for sure.

Working my way through The Expanse season 2. I like it a lot, especially the attention to real science - better than any show I've seen before. It's the absolute polar opposite of The Last Jedi's dumb-ass bombers and can't catch 'em chase.

I got hooked on the Great Brittish Baking Show, watched all 4 seasons. Crazy, but I loved it.

Watched the PBS reality series Frontier House and I absolutely LOVED it. I went out and BOUGHT it, no joke, because I loved it so much and wanted to see the extra content. If you can find it, watch it.

I've been keeping up with Dark Matter, and wow what a piece of shit now. Season 1 was good because of all the mystery and it's dark and edgy quality. But I doubt I'll watch a next season.

I watched The Good Place a while back and I really liked it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I've been keeping up with Dark Matter, and wow what a piece of shit now. Season 1 was good because of all the mystery and it's dark and edgy quality. But I doubt I'll watch a next season.
    You, sir, are a shit person with shit taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You, sir, are a shit person with shit taste.
    Oh come on. You actually liked Season 3? The acting is often terrible. The characters have all lost their edge. The stories are not particularly imaginative. Blah.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

The Expanse season 3 starts tonight. And I don't have cable. I guess I wait a year for it to show up on Amazon. Sigh.
    The Rules

Season 3 of almost everything sucks. It's practically a law of nature

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Season 3 of almost everything sucks. It's practically a law of nature
    They've done a pretty good job with The Expanse. I just finished Season 2 a couple days ago and I'm excited for more. Dark Matter? I really wouldn't care if they cancelled it.
    The Rules

Oh come on. You actually liked Season 3? The acting is often terrible. The characters have all lost their edge. The stories are not particularly imaginative. Blah.
    Yeah, I did like it. But you don't have to worry about another season, that was the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Yeah, I did like it. But you don't have to worry about another season, that was the end of it.
    Awww. Sorry, about that. But clearly it wasn't just me that wasn't liking it.
    The Rules

Awww. Sorry, about that. But clearly it wasn't just me that wasn't liking it.
    Ratings were actually pretty solid. It was cancelled because it wasn't a Syfy original. You should know by now that cancellation and quality often have little to do with each other.

They've done a pretty good job with The Expanse. I just finished Season 2 a couple days ago and I'm excited for more.
    That's how it always is. That's what makes the curse of season 3 so thoroughly malicious.

Just finished episode 1 of Lost in Space. It's trying to reboot it's source in the same way that Battlestar Galactica did. There a few silly moments in the story, but holy crap can you see every dollar they spent on this. It almost feels more like a theatrical release than a TV show.

Dammit, I was going to post about this yesterday to say that it sucks. So much potential wasted on BS acting, stilted & lame dialogue, depressing cookie-cutter characters that the writers don't have a feel for and an annoying grimdark esthetic saturating everything. Judy, Will & the robot are cool though.

I've gotten a bit further, and the forced drama and sometimes hammy dialog is starting to wear a bit thin, but overall I still like it. Dr. Smith is cartoonish at times, but I guess that's pretty faithful to the source material. I disagree with Aimless though, Will & Judy are the worst parts of it. The production values still look very high, but I do wish directors would stop with the lens flare.
    Last edited by Wraith; 04-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.

I don't understand the premise of the show; they have run away from Earth in search for a new planet to live on. Then they find a perfectly habitable planet and can't decide to stay there rather than stay on an interstellar space ship for god knows how long?
    Congratulations America

Well, I made it all the way to episode 8 but I think I'll call it a day. There's only so much suspension of disbelieve I can muster up; the escape from the tar pits was a bit too much really, especially after the black hole AND yet another navy SEAL in a tortured marriage to a woman with a PHD. Interesting by the way how they still sort people by color. Except for that 17 y.o. black physician with the white family.
    Congratulations America

I feel like they were trying to nab some of the lucrative (???) Fox viewership.

This weekend was ideal for a binge of Star Trek Discovery, after getting stuck in episode 1 not just once but twice. I liked it. It was very different from all the old star treks but very enjoyable. Also good to see that they decided to gay up the crew.
    Congratulations America

Watched first episode of Troy. Interesting take on the characters so far, obvious focus on Paris but more of a focus on King/Wife/Cassandra of Troy than the other brothers.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    So, Happy made it onto German Netflix.

It just took the crown of "WTF? Which demented mind came up with that?" from Preacher. At least for me. Very dark humor, very absurd and twisted. Sort of "Sin City meets Hobbes from Calvin&Hobbes".

Also, most definitely NSFW. Watch the trailer at your own peril.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7OYkSgmM-w
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Finally finished Lost in Space. The production values in the show were consistently very high quality, I just wish the rest of the show could justify it. I liked it overall, and look forward to the next season, but I'm not sure the serious treatment they were trying jelled too well with the cheesy premise. They passed around the idiot ball quite a few times in this season, too. Dr. Smith was a net drain on the story, and I think that I would have enjoyed it all more without her - if it was focusing on the colonists dealing with a hostile environment and alien forces beyond their understanding. OG-Smith was a selfish coward, but Neo-Smith is an outright psychopath, which fits with the tonal shift, but just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the story elements. I can't help but think about the movie Sunshine and how they screwed up their genuinely compelling sci-fi story by adding a psychopathic killer in the third act.

I liked Lost in Space, despite a few plot and science complaints here and there. And I agree this new Dr. Smith is a whole different level of villain compared to the old TV show. I think it almost makes the probable next season plotting too unbelievable. Her last act of redemption in that final episode does not begin to establish the level of trust that would be required for these gritty Robinsons to not toss her ass out an air lock.

And I expect the robot is hanging on to the outside of the ship or something, because come on, it would not be the same without it. Though I will say I'm conflicted by the robot being an alien machine singularly devoted to the kid. It's interesting in one way, but limiting and weird in others.
    The Rules

Been watching A Series of Unfortunate Events. I love how much I hate pretty much everyone and everything in that show. Very well crafted delivery.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Cobra Kai is way more compelling than it has any right to be.

I have to admire a show that hears complaints about it being inaccessible and too hard to follow, looks at their dwindling viewership numbers, and declares "We'll show them what inaccessible really means." I unironically love this show - it's the only show on right now that I look forward to every week.

It took me almost half this weeks episode before I understood that it wasn't about David (any of him) at all.

edit: He wasn't in this week's episode, but I want to call it now:
    Spoiler:
    Jon Hamm isn't a narrator, he's an active participant in the story. He's not explaining what happened, he's explaining what he's doing.
    Last edited by Wraith; 05-11-2018 at 08:19 PM.