Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

You kinda nailed it...it has a Lost feel to it...but the teenagers are driving me nuts...except for the youthful soldier boy...wowza.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I'm rather liking Once Upon a Time.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Aussies have put together an eight-part series of the recent best-selling book; The Slap, by Christo Tsiolkas.

He's a producer of the series, so it's following the book very closely. Three episodes in, and it's very, very good, as was the book.

Been watching Rome, it's quite good!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Welcome to the club, son
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I watch:

Fringe
    Bones
    House
    Oddities
    Mythbusters
    and embarrassingly enough, just about any Avatar: The Last Airbender reruns, especially from the last season.

Teevee sucks.

You know, I heard someone at work today complaining about how much he hates some presenter or other. 'I can't stand Ian whatsit. I loathe Barry Whoever'.

I wanted to say to him, 'don't watch tv and you'll never have to see them'. It made me realise that he's just spoilt and with a sense of entitlement that when he watches the TV there must be something he likes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    Teevee sucks.

You know, I heard someone at work today complaining about how much he hates some presenter or other. 'I can't stand Ian whatsit. I loathe Barry Whoever'.

I wanted to say to him, 'don't watch tv and you'll never have to see them'. It made me realise that he's just spoilt and with a sense of entitlement that when he watches the TV there must be something he likes on.
    Psssttt... don't get fooled by the topic title.

I kind of wonder what Dexter viewers inhere think about the new season. I kind of like it but there appear to be bunches of people who absolutely hate it.
    Congratulations America

I like it so far

I do recalla lot of talk years ago of a lot of people watching this series (like nessus, bunch of other people) they seemed to like it: Anyway, I started watching BSG (I know it's not a movie-- why i moved the comment here) but just finished the two part mini-sereis labeled Episode 1 & 2 on netflx (it's streamable) they're 1.5 hours each. It was interesting I'd recommend it basically terminator combined with Star Trek being a bit more graphic than Star Trek but still focusing on moral dilemmas and questions. Underlying theme being is humanity worth anything, and the underlying answer being yes and it's because of our capacity for love.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dragon View Post
    Anyway, I started watching BSG [...] Underlying theme being is humanity worth anything, and the underlying answer being yes and it's because of our capacity for love.

Wow, more proof that we only see what we want to see, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Psssttt... don't get fooled by the topic title.

I kind of wonder what Dexter viewers inhere think about the new season. I kind of like it but there appear to be bunches of people who absolutely hate it.
    On what basis? I'm liking it, and liking it even more with the return of, well, not wanting to spoil it, but the return of the character who returned right at the end of episode 6. I really much prefer Dexter's dark side to the serial-killer with a heart-of-gold angle they've been riding for the past couple seasons.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

You're being such a troll right now. I haven't looked at any wiki page on this show I promise you with 99% certainty that that is the shows fundamental message, anyone else support me? I have many scenes in my head right now supporting this, but I don't want to waste my breath on someone that has to be trolling me right now.

but I don't want to waste my breath on someone that has to be trolling me right now.
    Alright, then. Next time, just don't "waste your breath," instead of wasting your breath and then saying you don't want to waste your breath.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

I legitimately thought you were trying to be difficult but if it was a geniune comment here's why I made that statement:

In the new BSG (I watched the two part miniseries): They repeatedly ask the question what is humanity worth, why are we worth fighting for, and they repeatedly follow up with scenes showing the importance of humans bonds (the general and his son lee), the survival of the species over the individual (poetically highlighted when that guy gave up his spot for the doc, but the doc had the opposite mentality), This guy also serves as a way to demonstrate the fundamental difference between Cylons and humans, that guy can't love, but humans do. (Aka what makes humans specials over their cylon creations.) I think if you watch the show with this lense the message come fairly centerfold.

Maybe I'll give it another watch over the long weekend, but I don't remember that theme at all. Like I said, we see what we want to see. You want to see humanity as worthwhile and love as a wonderful, defning human characteristic, so that's what you see in the theme of BSG. I have no such illusions, and am not seeing it.

Of course, maybe you'll feel differently once you've seen the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post

On what basis? I'm liking it, and liking it even more with the return of, well, not wanting to spoil it, but the return of the character who returned right at the end of episode 6. I really much prefer Dexter's dark side to the serial-killer with a heart-of-gold angle they've been riding for the past couple seasons.
    Well, it's a bit of a roughshot summation but people are saying that Dexter is acting too much out of character (the nebraska episode) and they seem to really detest the dark duo he's up against this time. The way whether or not we are seeing what we are seeing is dragged out seems to disgust quite a few people.

But like I said, I like this season too; we got rid of that tedious family (I really got annoyed with that, though I can understand why they would want to keep the son), the boring love problems of supporting characters and indeed, Dexter is darker than he has been for a while. And that is a good thing.
    Congratulations America

I legitimately thought you were trying to be difficult but if it was a geniune comment here's why I made that statement:

In the new BSG (I watched the two part miniseries): They repeatedly ask the question what is humanity worth, why are we worth fighting for, and they repeatedly follow up with scenes showing the importance of humans bonds (the general and his son lee), the survival of the species over the individual (poetically highlighted when that guy gave up his spot for the doc, but the doc had the opposite mentality), This guy also serves as a way to demonstrate the fundamental difference between Cylons and humans, that guy can't love, but humans do. (Aka what makes humans specials over their cylon creations.) I think if you watch the show with this lense the message come fairly centerfold.
    Eh, this is really not what BSG is about.
    Congratulations America

If BSG had themes, I think it was these:

1) Don't be dicks to robots (unless they started it)
    2) Eyepatches make you hardcore
    3) If you're trying to come up with a mythology for a large series, don't just throw a bunch of shit out there and figure you can make it make sense later.

I'm also liking the new Beavis and Butthead episodes, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    I'm also liking the new Beavis and Butthead episodes, by the way
    There is such a thing ?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    There is such a thing ?

There is!

3) If you're trying to come up with a mythology for a large series, don't just throw a bunch of shit out there and figure you can make it make sense later.
    Sounds like a shallow show if that's true.

My impression of BSG is each episode they're going to have moral dilemmas, at least in the mini-series they raised a few for the observer. I don't believe the writers are so naive as not to catch these things. To say that love isn't a central theme in the mini-series does quite startle, but I will continue to update once I've seen more.

As for other themes I'd say there were intentional counter-cultural experiences they wanted the viewer to experience for example the fact they have a female as the president, and a female is the best starfighter. I think both of those are designed to push the envelope on the "men only" club. To really highlight this as a genuine intentional theme is the fact they had the female presidents authority challenged a bunch of times (that one guy was like who are you to take charge do you have any experience/ then later accepting her as leader) The general saying "why are you taking orders from a school teacher" then eating his words to some degree when she gives him advice and he follows it. They definitely threw it in our face of can a woman lead? and then said of course, and showed her being successful. Which is fine, I support the fact they did this.

Edit: I did some reading and found that the original starbuck was cast as a male role in the original series, I think that helps highlight the fact they were indeed trying to go with some "counter culture" messages by picking a girl to play the smoking gambling hot shot role.

Another theme is moral dilemmas in general they either had to warp out now to rendezvous with general adam, leaving some behind, or they would all die, and some of the people they left was that little girl (pulling at our heart strings). Part of these drives story but they also create moral questions for viewers that the writers are well aware of when they write their material.

Writers are smart people, and their undertones do not get lost on them. They know exactly what message they are sending out with their choices.

Edit: hmm as I think about all of this... I'm pretty sure of myself.. but I will update you as i watch more episodes. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself even though i probably have. I'll leave it at that, and see what others think.
    Last edited by Lebanese Dragon; 11-24-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post

Addendum to 2: almost as hard-core as a face cragged like the Moon
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Just started watching Person of Interest, because somebody told me it was good. It's alright. The premise seems very familiar somehow, but I can't place it.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Just started watching Person of Interest, because somebody told me it was good. It's alright. The premise seems very familiar somehow, but I can't place it.
    I remember a similar theme from "Paradox".
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

OK So I watched the first 3 episodes of Breaking Bad....

...WTF?
    Such is Life...

Anybody been watching Southlands?

I wanna check it out.

I like watching Antiques Roadshow :3

Other than that, the only shows I go out of my way to watch are: the Simpsons (the older seasons), Family Guy, American Dad and South Park.
    The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy's impotence, but the proof of philosophy's power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state-it is only philosophy that can lead them out.
    -Ayn Rand

Gosh, looks like a writer at 'The Walking Dead' had a dose of common sense before writing the latest episode.
    Congratulations America

Been watching Star Trek: Enterprise.

The characters aren't as interesting as some of the other series, but the doctor is cool.
    The other 90% of my interest in the characters revolves around "Tu'paul is hot."

And whoever cast Clint Howard in the Ferengi raider episode is a genius.