Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
Alright, I have a question in case anyone has run across something like this. Since I don't watch many TV shows due to finding a lot of current day TV to be abhorrent crap marketed towards the broadest audience possible within a particular group, for instance men ages 13 - 35, housewives, etc. I would like to eventually (years from now, when I hopefully have more money to spend on setting up frivolous things like this) change to a pc based setup where I can record the TV shows that I do like, and also have stored on it any complete series collection of a TV show or movie that I own on disc. Now here's the complicated part, I'm wondering if there is any program out there that could create a schedule and stream content on different "channels" like cable/satellite/etc. have been doing for decades. Meaning, it would have a science channel, with science themed programs, a scifi channel with scifi themed programming, etc.

Why? Sometimes I like the randomization and scheduling that TV offers. Its kind of nice sometimes to sit down to watch some TV and see that not only is GATTACA on, but immediately following it is Terminator 2 or Aliens. Or there is a show about the history of Tesla and his inventions immediately followed up by Mythbusters. The joy of this happening I feel is being lost as on demand viewing becomes more prevalent.
I don't know of anything that would do exactly what you want - it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole solution. It doesn't sound like it'd be very hard to implement, but I still can't imagine anyone actually taking the time to do it.

Closest thing would be that some of the DVR software have an option that will seek out and record shows meeting certain criteria, in addition to the stuff you specifically request. The criteria allowed varies by software, but could be anything from shows it thinks you'll like based on a ratings system, to shows with certain keywords in their descriptions, or movies in a certain genre with a rating above a certain amount.