Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My exact thoughts about every show about politics (House of Cards in particular).
    Political fiction needs sci-fi writers?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I've been watching Downton Abbey - mid-way into season 3 now. You may know this show was hugely popular in the US, via Public TV no less, so I was expecting a lot. And it's not bad, but to my surprise, not great either. Some of the plots are so contrived and the villains are paper thin with no apparent motivation. Now that Season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped (love the show!), the Downton Binge is going on pause.

Also, I binged most of Wild Wild Country, and, well, what the fuck? I'm surprised I don't have any childhood memories of this going on back in the early 80s. I remember Jonestown for sure, but not the crazy maroon biological-warring sex cult commune out in Oregon. Apparently Rajneeshee costume parties are a thing since the docuseries came out, people dressing in shades of red and one lucky guest comes as the Bhagwan...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Political fiction needs sci-fi writers?
    They should at least get some poli sci grad student to tell them if the plot makes any sense.

Also, Daredevil canceled.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    They should at least get some poli sci grad student to tell them if the plot makes any sense.
    I knew what you meant.
    The Rules

I've been watching Downton Abbey - mid-way into season 3 now. You may know this show was hugely popular in the US, via Public TV no less, so I was expecting a lot. And it's not bad, but to my surprise, not great either. Some of the plots are so contrived and the villains are paper thin with no apparent motivation. Now that Season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel dropped (love the show!), the Downton Binge is going on pause.

Also, I binged most of Wild Wild Country, and, well, what the fuck? I'm surprised I don't have any childhood memories of this going on back in the early 80s. I remember Jonestown for sure, but not the crazy maroon biological-warring sex cult commune out in Oregon. Apparently Rajneeshee costume parties are a thing since the docuseries came out, people dressing in shades of red and one lucky guest comes as the Bhagwan...
    The fun in Downton Abbey is just the time period, I think. There are some really delightful moments in it, but it's pretty much just soap opera. Also, it is filmed beautifully, so you get the people that just appreciate pretty.

For any fan of the Americans:
    Spoiler:
    We were at the grocery store today, and "With or Without You" was playing on their canned music, and the girlchild and I were both instantly choking back tears. U2 is not supposed to invoke emotions, damn it.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The fun in Downton Abbey is just the time period, I think. There are some really delightful moments in it, but it's pretty much just soap opera. Also, it is filmed beautifully, so you get the people that just appreciate pretty.

For any fan of the Americans:
    Spoiler:
    We were at the grocery store today, and "With or Without You" was playing on their canned music, and the girlchild and I were both instantly choking back tears. U2 is not supposed to invoke emotions, damn it.
    Downton Abbey started off nice, then became repetitive and a lot less worthwhile. The Mrs Crawley character got too annoying as the wetting stone she was for the dowager's wit turned into a stand in for progress. The whole story about the couple of servants that got married. That should have put to rest seasons before the end of the show.

Mrs Maisel is worth it much more than the later seasons of DA.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Downton Abbey started off nice, then became repetitive and a lot less worthwhile. The Mrs Crawley character got too annoying as the wetting stone she was for the dowager's wit turned into a stand in for progress. The whole story about the couple of servants that got married. That should have put to rest seasons before the end of the show.

Mrs Maisel is worth it much more than the later seasons of DA.
    In season1 and much of 2, Mrs Crawley was interesting. Then by season 3 she was just as insufferably paper thin as the servant villains. And YES, it's just a soap opera with tropes like the war wounded cripple who suddenly can walk and the guy that's dying so slow he's got time to come home and get married to the girl who never loved him... blah blah blah. But man oh man Lilo's right, there are some shots of that estate that are magnificent. Early morning sunshine with the mist not quite burned off, just beautiful.

EDIT: well now, I just saw the teaser trailer for the Downton Abbey motion picture!
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 12-15-2018 at 03:52 AM.
    The Rules

Anyone see that Netflix is airing a new series called Io? So I just watched the trailer and, you know, Earth is becoming toxic and it was predicted by scientists but nobody did anything about it until it was too late (yeah, okay, just like Climate Change), so, everyone leaves for a less toxic alternative. Alright, fair enough, its a plot, I'm listening.

But guess where humanity decides to go : Jupiter's airless, waterless, super-irradiated, hyper-volcanic, sulfurous nightmare Io. WTF? I'm sorry, I can buy that Earth is dying. I can buy that humanity, or a least a fortunate slice of humanity, manages to leave Earth for a more hospitable home. But NO, I can't accept Io is that home. Sorry, that's just stupid. There are SOOOOO many better alternatives in the solar system (the best of which is horrible compared to Earth, even with a toxic atmosphere, btw), so who was the scientist they consulted on this one??? Jeez.
    The Rules

I guess the presence of water triggered that.
    Congratulations America

The Good Place is wonderful. It looks corny and superficial, but it's funny as hell, the story develops with each season, the writers manage to keep things fresh, the actors have all absolutely nailed their characters and the show keeps surprising you with unexpected philosophical twists after the familiar exercises have made you feel like you have everything figured out. It makes the Kant- & communitarianism episodes from "Justice" a lot more fun to watch, too. Everyone I've recommended it to has been skeptical, but, by the end of the first season, they've all been hooked.

Season 3 of The Expanse is excellent, and I really hope they manage to get through the entire series. Been reading the books and it's remarkable how well the books and the show complement one another. In most respects, the show's deviations from the books are for the better, but the books give you more insight into Miller, whose voice the writers excel with. Reading the books, I can't help but imagine the characters looking and sounding like the actors in the show, and it adds a whole new dimension to my enjoyment of the story.

Season 4 of The Flash has been fun so far (halfway through)--although not as enjoyable as season 3--and Katee Sackhoff's weird-ass accent always makes me want to leave the room.

Catching up on Castle (season 6). It's not as good as the previous seasons, and, unfortunately, they're getting into the Evil Mastermind part of the season, but it's still a lot of fun. I was struck by a realization a while back that, while the show may be called Castle, it's really a show about Beckett, and Stana Katic is the real star of the show. Sad to hear they had to cancel after years of bullying and other dickishness on Fillion's part.

Discovered that The Man In the High Castle is pretty cool, but only when I'm drunk--so I can't really watch it too often.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    The Good Place is wonderful. It looks corny and superficial, but it's funny as hell, the story develops with each season, the writers manage to keep things fresh, the actors have all absolutely nailed their characters and the show keeps surprising you with unexpected philosophical twists after the familiar exercises have made you feel like you have everything figured out. It makes the Kant- & communitarianism episodes from "Justice" a lot more fun to watch, too. Everyone I've recommended it to has been skeptical, but, by the end of the first season, they've all been hooked.
    I watched both seasons and loved it.
    The Rules

Season 3 bro

The Good Place is wonderful.
    Will try.

Season 3 of The Expanse is excellent
    This was only available in the US so how did you get it? Or is it now on general release ... ?
    I had to buy the DVD at Amazon US and ship it to the UK

~

Currently watching SII of The Sinner, after finishing SI. Superb. Very creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

New season of true detective is good so far
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    New season of true detective is good so far
    Through episode 3 now and still very good. Big improvement over season 2, which I thought might actually get the show cancelled.

Just finished season 3 of The Magicians. It has its issues, but it gets better every season, with this one being "darn good."
    The Rules

The first 3 episodes of Punisher S2 are fantastic. Then there are 10 more episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The first 3 episodes of Punisher S2 are fantastic. Then there are 10 more episodes.
    Punisher S2 was great. Not as good as S1, but better than most of the recent Marvel series.

Iron Fist S2 was a disappointment.

Iron Fist S2 was much better than S1. I enjoyed it, and it left me wanting to watch S3 before it got cancelled. Still holding out hope for Heroes for Hire on Hulu after Netflix's 2 years of exclusivity is up.

I've honestly only just finished Punisher S2E10, so it still has time to pick up, but so far everything after the police station in E03 has been kinda meh.

I don't want to write any spoilers about the Punisher S2, but I pretty much agree.
    The end of S1 was great compared to S2.

Now I have seen a few eps of The Orville S2. It's great.
    It's everything the new Star Trek Discovery is not. :P

Australian Survivor: Champions vs. Contenders

Anyone see that Netflix is airing a new series called Io? So I just watched the trailer and, you know, Earth is becoming toxic and it was predicted by scientists but nobody did anything about it until it was too late (yeah, okay, just like Climate Change), so, everyone leaves for a less toxic alternative. Alright, fair enough, its a plot, I'm listening.

But guess where humanity decides to go : Jupiter's airless, waterless, super-irradiated, hyper-volcanic, sulfurous nightmare Io. WTF? I'm sorry, I can buy that Earth is dying. I can buy that humanity, or a least a fortunate slice of humanity, manages to leave Earth for a more hospitable home. But NO, I can't accept Io is that home. Sorry, that's just stupid. There are SOOOOO many better alternatives in the solar system (the best of which is horrible compared to Earth, even with a toxic atmosphere, btw), so who was the scientist they consulted on this one??? Jeez.
    I watched a bit of it (not a series, a 'movie'). It's nothing special; they make some vague argument that they're setting up near IO (not on it) to harvest energy but the details are pretty vague. But they definitely needed some help with the science - early on, a character says that plants on Earth are close to being able to use ammonia as an oxygen source.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

True Detective S3.

Finally back to something that feels like S1, something that made it great.
    One thing True Detective has managed to do is to build up a case, with a solid plotline, that spans over three different time periods.
    I know of no other series that successfully has managed to do so.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    True Detective S3.

Finally back to something that feels like S1, something that made it great.
    One thing True Detective has managed to do is to build up a case, with a solid plotline, that spans over three different time periods.
    I know of no other series that successfully has managed to do so.
    Babylon 5 managed to do just that - a multi-season arc even!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Finished Nightflyer.

Started somewhat interesting (I did not read the novella) and then came to a completely unsatisfactory conclusion.

For example, this thing with Rowan. He obviously has a complete breakdown (hell, they all even state as much!) but what do they do? Nothing. He's not confined to quarters, he doesn't get a guard, nothing. As a result, he's free to play axe murderer Ã* la Shining (they even allude to that movie in several places) and even waltzes onto the bridge. In a spaceship where mutiny is punishable by death and where they have weapons lockers. Where there has already been an incident of someone with a weapon entering the bridge!
    But sure, let any and all people just stroll onto the bridge as if that wasn't the most important part of the ship.

Then there's the ending - the Nightflyer just goes dark and for Karl we get a mixture of 2001 and Solaris.

In fact, that's what this most reminded me of: A mixture of Solaris and 2001, with a dash of Event Horizon thrown in. The latter of which falls flat on its face because they never really touch any of the major characters until the end. And the one they do touch is already spoilered in the first minutes of the first episode.

Also, did I already mention that I hate those moronic: "Oh, the ship is about to explode in five minutes and you have to inevitably sacrifice yourself to prevent it. Let's whaffle about the ethical ramifications of your choices (which you don't have) and beg you not to do it!" Bleargh.

Oh, and another trope could please die in a fire:

"I want to confront this guy about sabotage and I choose to do it in a secluded location full of hazards with no witnesses! Yeah, that will work well!"

Russian Doll is pretty solid. It's the type of show that works better the less you know going in though, so skip the trailer if you can. It'll look like a retread of a common story trope early on, but stick with it.

Not really sure about a season 2 though; I'd be happy if they just called this a miniseries and never made a second season.

All I need to know is whether it makes you feel good or bad.

Umbrella Academy on Netflix is excellent so far (two episodes in) like a fun blend of Watchmen, Travelers and The Royal Tenenbaums. Some of the characterization is still a little thin, but I think it'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Russian Doll is pretty solid. It's the type of show that works better the less you know going in though, so skip the trailer if you can. It'll look like a retread of a common story trope early on, but stick with it.

Not really sure about a season 2 though; I'd be happy if they just called this a miniseries and never made a second season.
    I loved it. Finished it in less than a day. I can't imagine how they could have a Season 2.
    The Rules