Page 25 of 59 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    The Good Wife really feels like it has gone all to hell this season - I think it may be close to time for me to quit it.

Also, is anyone else doing the end of Mad Men?
    The end of Mad Man is torture really. I don't know what they were thinking while making this. It's like they want a big sigh of relief from all the viewers the time the titles roll for the last time.

Isn't Sansa Lady Lannister, wife of the very much alive Tyrion Lannister?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    The end of Mad Man is torture really. I don't know what they were thinking while making this. It's like they want a big sigh of relief from all the viewers the time the titles roll for the last time.

Isn't Sansa Lady Lannister, wife of the very much alive Tyrion Lannister?
    That's a good point. I'm guessing she could argue that the marriage wasn't consummated, but I'm surprised no one raised that point.
    Hope is the denial of reality

What I'm trying to figure out is what LF actually has to gain by this. He's taking a big risk but I don't quite see the payoff.

Spoiler:
    I'm guessing that it's all a trap. He lies to Sansa by saying that he's doing this because Bolton is the most powerful actor in the north. He's strongly disliked, has a ragtag army (albeit a fairly large one), and can't count on support from King's Landing. Perhaps LF wants to goad the Boltons into making some huge mistake, allowing Sansa to gain unilateral control over the north and therefore consolidate his own rule over a large chunk of the Seven Kingdoms? Or somehow get Stannis and the Boltons to bloody each other before he rides in and destroys who ever is left?

Spoilers please, I haven't watched yet!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That's a good point. I'm guessing she could argue that the marriage wasn't consummated, but I'm surprised no one raised that point.
    Tv only:
    It was raised, they said the marriage didn't count because it wasn't consummated, and LittleFinger offered to let her virginity be inspected as proof.

Must have missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Tv only:
    It was raised, they said the marriage didn't count because it wasn't consummated, and LittleFinger offered to let her virginity be inspected as proof.
    Just pointing out some things:

1. Bolton is keeper of The North because of and nothing but his loyalty to the Lannisters; are the Lannisters going to give up their hold over him by simply letting him get away with a scheme that they can stop in its track untill Bolton has paid a handsome price for it? Not to mention that the Lannisters would have to overlook an act of high treason that lead to the death of King Joffrey?
    2. Bolton is the keeper of The North because of his betrayal of the King in The North; he wouldn't gain much by replacing a notorious claim to The North with a shared claim to The North (that as we know 'remembers')
    3. Bolton'a best chance to hold on to The North is by turning on King Tommen and pledge allegiance to King Stannis (if Stannis would be stupid enough to trust a man who betrayed his liege twice already rather than put his head on a stake.
    4. King Stannis would see it as an affront if Bolton solidifies his hold on The North by anything other than bending the knee to Stannis first

In short; I think Littlefinger is either overplaying his hand or playing yet another long game we can't oversee.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Just pointing out some things:

...Littlefinger is either overplaying his hand or playing yet another long game we can't oversee.
    I'm getting annoyed with this season. Every episode feels like a series of preludes to something big happening but nothing big ever happens. Get on with the dragons already! Jeez.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

The Agents of SHIELD season 2 finale was better than the entire first season as well as Age of Ultron combined.

Well, all but the last scene. BASTARDS.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Mad Men's over forever. Interesting final episode. Some thoughts:

Spoiler:

Betty's character basically got fucked over, IMO. For some reason the writers didn't want to portray her favorably for the last three seasons or so. And in the end they kill her, make her parting act to disrespect her second husband by sending the kids to her sibling on her death.... not sure why her new marriage couldn't have been better than the one with Don. Or at least give it some ups and downs instead of making her into a royal bitch all the time. Maybe I missed something...

Don - so that final smirk while meditating and the segue into one of the most famous advertising campaigns of all time... is that Don's future we're seeing? He comes out of retirement and shoots to new heights? I wasn't sure at first, but NPR's reviewer seemed to think so.

Roger - finally content?

Joan - she rejects love and comfort for the entrepreneurial spirit... fine.

I was happy things worked out for Pete and Trudy. He started out as such an ass, but he grew up to be loyal and forthright. He deserved to be happy.

I always liked Peggy. I'm glad she found love and I'm glad she stuck with her corporate job instead of going off with Joan. It would have been out of character for her, too campy an ending.

Sally - she's going to be the mother for the boys the writers wouldn't let them have with Betty. Too bad her life's likely to be fucked over because of it. Oh well.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Last GoT episode:

Spoiler:
    Am I the only one missing the reason for the outrage over the Sansa scene?

GoT: Do we have to spoiler these? Fine.:

I guess I sorta get it, but it seems overblown. Sansa knew it was going to happen, and agreed to do it. She's trying to use the Boltons to reclaim the North, and consummating her marriage with Ramsay was part of the plan. It was pretty uncomfortable, and not at all a nice thing, but I think there have been worse things on the show.

How come there wasn't a similar outcry when Danaerys was raped in the first season? She had much less choice there than Sansa did here.

I think this is just a question of whiner blogs proliferating in the last 4 years, each trying to be more outraged than the rest.

I quit watching the show, but I don't get the outrage at all - have these people not been watching for however many seasons we are up to now?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Yes, teevee sucks!

Last GoT episode:

Spoiler:
    Am I the only one missing the reason for the outrage over the Sansa scene?
    Spoiler:
    Lots of reasons, some good, some bad. I'd argue the main reason is the dreadful treatment of rape we saw in Season 4, people have lost any kind of faith in the show's ability to deal with what is a difficult and sensitive subject with any kind of respect or maturity. It's worth noting that at this point in the show, three of the four main female characters (Cercei, Dany, Sansa, Arya) have been raped where as AFAIK none of them have in the books so far. When D&D keep restructuring the plot seemingly for no reason other than to include a rape scene then you have to ask yourself questions.

I'd also argue that the Sansa scene was like 100 times better than the Cercei/Jaime scene or the Casters Keep one, but the "rape, lol" attitude of previous seasons made people assume the worst. For which I don't really blame them.

There's also the fact that it did it's job too well. The show expertly ramped up the tension, the idea that something horrible was going to happen and you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop, since Sansa set foot in Winterfell then managed to make the entire sequence, when it came, thoroughly horrific. I think some people just found it a little close to home. For which, again, I don't really blame them.

So now they've put themselves in a situation where a scene which should rank alongside the Red Wedding and Oberyn's death has one of the most shocking scenes in the series instead they get a reaction more along the likes "... they're going to do another rape scene, aren't they? Yup. Yup. There it is. Fine. I suppose that would happen in these circumstances. Fine. *sigh*

Anyway, I think the real question... how is Little Sam still a baby? Motherfucker should be walking by now.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Should be eating all the Night's Watch food by now.

Spoiler:
    Arya? Am I missing something? Also, Dany's scene from the show is identical to the one from the book...

Spoiler:
    Arya? Am I missing something?
    I meant Arya was the forth main character, the one who hasn't had her story rewritten to include a rape. Probably Catalyn qualified as a main character. So that's three out of five.

Spoiler:
    Also, Dany's scene from the show is identical to the one from the book...
    I've read A Game of Thrones. Recently. Dany explicitly says 'yes' to Drogo. The scene is still fairly minging because she's 13 or something in the books but in the novel the scene plays out quite differently. It also shines a completely different sidelight on how she later falls in love with Drogo, making it less 'awww' and more 'Really?'

Of course, at the time the show hadn't yet to go on and pull the exact same trick three or four times, so people were going to give it a lot more slack.

Each scene taken on it's own can probably be justified narratively and thematically, but when it's such a persistent pattern combined with how often the show has used threatened rape for no reason other than raise tension (it did it again just this episode) then I am unsurprised to see people give it the side eye.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Frankly, I thought the nudity from Sand Snakes this week was far more gratuitous and unnecessary...

Frankly, I thought the nudity from Sand Snakes this week was far more gratuitous and unnecessary...
    It was completely necessary.

Spoiler:
    Who didn't see Cercei in religious prison coming a mile away? LOL, love it.
    The Rules

She was trying to get his heart rate up, so the her poison would get to where it needed to go quicker. Now, the writers totally wrote it that way so they could do another nude scene, so I'm not going to disagree with Loki's assessment but she wasn't doing it for no reason in-story.

Spoiler:
    Well, that was a thing. That was definitely a thing. After a semi-strong beginning and weak middle the season seems to be picking up pace again.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Or she could have waited an extra hour and gotten the same result without the nudity.

I think they've left too much for the last 3 episodes. Just based on the casting for those episodes, it's pretty clear there will be at least another 3 really big scenes this season. They should have spread them out better.

On the other hand, certain things were already rushed (Arya with an assignment already, things happening in King's Landing rather quickly and without much explanation/politics). I have not checked casting so not a clue what exactly they will add in this season.

Spoiler:
    Heh, they certainly wrote Jon going to Hardhome in just so they could show the battle (rather than just hearing about it), and to show that valyrian steel can kill Others, didn't they?

BTW where did that giant go? Could have sworn he went into the sea right next to the last boat, presumably swimming, but then the wide shots showed nothing - did he just drown himself? And how the hell did they think they were going to get a giant on the ships anyway?

book spoiler:
    So a lot of differences by now - Jaime in Dorne, Sansa in Winterfell (I liked the fake Arya story bit more, to be honest), but more importantly.. where is Aegon the young griff? Or does the fact he's not in the show (so far) mean he's meaningless in the end, i.e. probably not a real Targaryan?

I think they're trying too hard to finish in seven seasons. But they could certainly had the latest episode be episode 5 instead.

Spoiler:
    Aegon won't be in the show. Not sure whether he's a real Targaryan, but I'm guessing he doesn't succeed at his goal, but does make the job easier for Danaerys later on).

Well, I've only just started reading the books but based on the casting rumours for season 6, looks like seven seasons might be out the window, since they'll still be covering book material in season 6 and there's still two books left.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Not sure about that. Everyone is gradually moving towards a showdown, more so than in the books. I know they're re-introducing certain characters in season 6, but they probably won't get all that much playing time, just like Dorne this season. I could see them finishing season 6 with everything set up for a major showdown.

Or she could have waited an extra hour and gotten the same result without the nudity.
    what in the world do you have against beautiful naked women???
    The Rules

The general trend in the show was to have secondary characters engage in gratuitous nudity, and that's fine. But there's a fine line between having your storyline characters be naked and not turning them into caricatures. It's not really a problem for characters we know a lot about (see Cersei). But it is a problem for the Sand Snakes, whom we don't know it all. In the end, they'll just be defined by their nudity, and not their actions. And that's a problem considering just how useless they've been this season, despite all the hype.

Doesn't the use of their sexuality as 'weapons' (or distraction) fit with a number of the sand snakes? Or the Dornish in general perhaps? And playing (mind)games with victims?

I admit it's grasping at straws a bit though