Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

I couldn't get through the first episode of Disenchantment. I thought it was terrible.

Just finished episode 3 of Godless. It's pretty good.

Also, season 2 of The Good Place. It's very much bubble gum tv, but I really enjoyed it. For some strange reason I've been watching Cheers, and its really interesting to see young Ted Danson vs old Ted Danson...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I've been watching Castle Rock mostly as it's been airing. The season finale is on Wednesday, and if you have Hulu it's worth a watch. It's less horror and more supernatural mystery a la Lost or whatever.

Finished Westworld S1.

Slightly disillusioned. Thought a better story could have been made of the excellent premise. Feel the high-calibre actors on hand could have had better material.

Whilst deciding whether it's worth forking out the not inconsiderable sum to get S2 on prime, I'm going to take a side-turn into Fargo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Haven't seen it yet but I've read that the actors in Westworld were kept in the dark about a lot of things so character development from their end was non-existent.

I found an odd show, called 7 Deadly Sins, on Netflix. It's a Netflix funded anime. I don't watch much anime so I have no idea how much of the show is following standard japense anime formats and how much is making fun of such things, but... I enjoyed it. It could be better, a little less obvious in the plot twists, but it was fun. It was weird that it had a recap every episode and a lot of the episodes had scenes after the credits. Forced me to use that 10 second fast forward Netflix has, a lot.
    Japan already has season 2, so I guess I'm waiting for it to be localized.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-11-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It was surprisingly fun we're now catching up on Shippuden and my god have I missed it. The translation and voice-acting for the English version is miles better than the Japanese version with subs, and the story, though it moves ridiculously slowly, is precisely what I long for in a work of fiction. I've missed it very much think I'll give Sword Art Online a go after that.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Iron Fist season 2 is a lot better than season 1 was. There seems to be a theme in these last few Netflix-MCU series, though. I'm guessing that Daredevil season 3 will feature an evil blind ninja with sonar powers? Maybe just zombie-Stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Finished Westworld S1.

Slightly disillusioned. Thought a better story could have been made of the excellent premise. Feel the high-calibre actors on hand could have had better material.
    I thought WW was way over-rated, both seasons. I don't recommend buying either season.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I thought WW was way over-rated, both seasons. I don't recommend buying either season.
    I think there was so much promise to WW, but it either decided to stretch credulity to the breaking point or explored facets that I found less compelling. It should have been better than it was.

The best thing about Westworld was this, my alarm clock tune:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I'm going to take a side-turn into Fargo.
    ... certainly glad I did. What fantastic teevee. Only up to S1 ep7 but so far it's as eccentric and bizarre as the brilliant movie.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Iron Fist season 2 is a lot better than season 1 was. There seems to be a theme in these last few Netflix-MCU series, though. I'm guessing that Daredevil season 3 will feature an evil blind ninja with sonar powers? Maybe just zombie-Stick?
    I hear the Kingpin is coming back.

That's what the trailer looks like, and thank god - I'm not sure I would have given yet another evil doppelganger story a chance. Although to be totally fair, it was only the Jessica Jones one that I wound up not enjoying in the end. I'm just getting tired of the theme.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, on Amazon, was terrific. I highly recommend.

Also about a rising comic with marital problems, Crashing, on HBO, is good too. Not nearly as good as Mrs. Maisel, but worth watching if you have HBO...
    The Rules

Getting a kick out of old TV news footage from the 90's. Clips from the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings with Chuck Grassley and Orrin Hatch as obnoxious younger men, Susan Collins from Maine promising she'll only serve two terms even if term limits aren't adopted, seeing Bryant Gumbel again, and Trump posing by his helicopter and gilded building projects with his early comb-over hairdo....omg that's great TV

Iron Fist is done. Wasn't a fan from the little I saw on the Defenders.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yeah, the Defenders.

Marvel's insistence that literally every single piece of fiction they produce, no matter how different in tone or style, simply must take place in the same continuity (Jessica "I Self Medicate With Alcohol After My Horrific Abuse by Kilgrave" Jones and Frank "I Express My Overwhelming Grief at the Loss of My Family by Violently Murdering Criminals" Castle exist in the same world where there's a talking koala and a tree-thing having whacky adventures, and ninjas sometimes go out dressed as ninjas and attack people with medieval japanese weaponry), but also that you to forget about that fact unless they want you to do one of their Team Ups is downright bizarre.

I mean, do the Avengers really not give a fuck about the Hand's plan to completely destroy New York? Do all those people in the Punisher who are prepared to go that damn far to protect the US from islamic terrorism really have nothing to say about that time the earth got attacked by aliens or a rogue AI nearly destroyed the entire planet?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Iron Fist is done. Wasn't a fan from the little I saw on the Defenders.
    Iron Fist got a lot better after Defenders. Season 2 was actually pretty good, and left me looking forward to season 3. Hopefully this paves the way for Heroes for Hire though - they dropped enough hints in Luke Cage S2.

Luke Cage cancelled. It doesn't look like there will be a separate Heroes for Hire show.

So Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Defenders are dead, but Daredevil, Punisher, and Jessica Jones are continuing. God damnit, Thanos.

I wonder if Punisher survives the purge after another season. And the creator of Jessica Jones is stepping away after season 3...

The new season of Doctor Who is aces. At least, when it comes to casting, acting and overall production. The writing is a little too on the nose, with every episode feeling like a Very Special Episode, and lacking the suspense and sense of impending doom of the previous seasons, but I'm really enjoying it

Saw the reboot of Sabrina the Teenage Witch on Netflix, and was quickly hooked in spite of myself. Great production values, and solid casting. They do a great job of telling relevant stories despite the fantastic setting. The stupid stick gets passed around a lot, but I was willing to forgive it. The thing with the funeral was a little dumb though. I love the supporting cast, apart from Harvey, but I didn't feel like he was all that important; I hope they don't bork things by trying to make him and his relationship with Sabrina the focus of the show. Everyone else is awesome, and there's a lot of untapped potential. Note: this version does not feel like the beloved 90s version. Like... at all.

Started watching the latest season of Legends of Tomorrow. Missed it a lot. Not too keen on having to listen to Constantine's annoying voice for a whole season, but I'll take the bad with the good.

Finishing Shippuden was kinda bittersweet. Even though it's obviously geared towards teenagers, the themes and their approach to fundamental questions about life were mature and surprisingly nuanced--especially the series-spanning conversation about idealism in a world that is anything but ideal. On top of that, the setting is fantastic, the stories gripping, the characters extremely engaging, and the writing full--FULL--of #feels, with a lot of humour mixed in. The English version is absolutely top notch, but I had to finish the show in Japanese, for which the subs are substantially worse than the writing for the dubbed version (ditto for the voice-acting and sound-production). Many people have issues with the extremely slow pace with which the story movies, but it is a necessary element of the kind of dramatic storytelling the show's creators chose to embrace. Payoffs were very satisfying. Followed up with Boruto, which is fun but nowhere near as gripping, and then with the latest season of The Seven Deadly Sins--about which I'm ambivalent. Have now started Sword Art Online, and am enjoying it, but it needs more humour.

The first part of the latest season of Chef's Table is fantastic. They learned from their mistakes in the previous seasons, and learned from the strengths of Ugly Delicious, putting the people and their stories front and center, and reducing the focus on inane western food-critic commentary. The first episode about Cristina Martinez of South Philly Barbacoa was especially moving for a number of reasons, a great example of the best this genre can offer, but the second episode about Musa Dağdeviren of Istanbul's Çiya Kebab was also lovely and very inspiring.
    Last edited by Aimless; 11-05-2018 at 08:17 PM.

I didn't particularly like Shippuden after the big reveal post Madaraa.

I'm enjoying the latest season of SOA, much better than season 2 IMO.

Had to watch Goblin Slayer due to people crying, turns out to be really solid.

I was surprised at the change of tone of Sabrina compared to the original. Strangely enough that didn't stop them getting the dynamic between Sabrina and her aunts exactly right.
    Congratulations America

Origin is starting on Youtube. Don't think I'll watch it. In the trailer, they did a big zoom out from a window in a spaceship with rotational-gravity rings and the passenger in the window was standing on the ceiling. CGI artists working on shit like that should have at the very least a minimal understanding of how that kind of thing works. Or their supervisor, or whoever's doing the fucking story boards. Some-fucking-body working on the sci-fi program should have a fucking idea how rotational gravity works. Jeez people. Ask a sci-fi writer FFS. They're a dime a dozen and most of them are hungry for consulting fees.
    The Rules

The Bodyguard. First five episodes were pretty good, but the sixth and final episodes was pretty bad, which left the entire series pretty disappointing. I'm pretty willing to suspend disbelief but this ending pushed it way too far for me, it just didn't make any sense.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Origin is starting on Youtube. Don't think I'll watch it. In the trailer, they did a big zoom out from a window in a spaceship with rotational-gravity rings and the passenger in the window was standing on the ceiling. CGI artists working on shit like that should have at the very least a minimal understanding of how that kind of thing works. Or their supervisor, or whoever's doing the fucking story boards. Some-fucking-body working on the sci-fi program should have a fucking idea how rotational gravity works. Jeez people. Ask a sci-fi writer FFS. They're a dime a dozen and most of them are hungry for consulting fees.
    My exact thoughts about every show about politics (House of Cards in particular).

That reminds me, on Netflix there's a show about foiled terror attacks. Right at the beginning they're talking about the London tube attacks while showing footage from the Madrid train bombings. Next to the annoying tone of the series that annoyed me enough to just stop watching.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    The Bodyguard. First five episodes were pretty good, but the sixth and final episodes was pretty bad, which left the entire series pretty disappointing. I'm pretty willing to suspend disbelief but this ending pushed it way too far for me, it just didn't make any sense.
    As in the recent BBC series?

If so yep I felt exactly the same. My other half, who really gets into these sorts of shows, told me on more than one occasion to shut up because I kept on pointing out how ridiculously implausible some bits were.

We don't watch shows together anymore. Unless it's Masterchef or Grand Designs. Despite some dishes and some buildings being ridiculously implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    My exact thoughts about every show about politics (House of Cards in particular).
    It's like a solicitor friend of mine who can't stand watching any lawyery type of show. You get a criminal lawyer in a show who provides expert opinion on corporate law, because, y'know, he's a lawyer, so is well read in all disciplines of law.

In contrast, Scrubs (early seasons) remains the best medical show ever