Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

People say episode 2 was boring? Because of a lack of action? I thought the scenes were an incredible wrap up for certain characters story arcs.

I think I'll be bored with the next episode. Longest fight sequence doesn't sound particularly entertaining.
    Congratulations America

GoT is good for binge watching. Maybe most serial shows are designed that way now?

I liked "Killing Eve" but could only watch a couple of episodes....before it turned into an upgrade charge on my comcast bill for BBC America. Now it's just another game, figuring out how to watch shows without paying the full subscription cost. I use my son's Amazon Prime account and he uses my Netflix, but I still had to upgrade to HBO to access GoT. What a racket.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I think I'll be bored with the next episode. Longest fight sequence doesn't sound particularly entertaining.
    It was epic solid 9.5/10. I feel some of the cuts were poorly done and overly implied a character was done for... but then it came back to them and the non-survivable situation somehow was survived. That pulls the .5 away everything else was epic and satisfying.

I liked it, but it wasn't 9.5 great by any stretch (maybe a 7.5).

And you can tell this isn't Martin's story anymore, sadly. There's no courage to drop a central character, like a Ned or Rob Stark. It's now more or less typical Hollywood, epic-hero story telling where you don't have to worry the good guys might lose. Shock and fear for the characters you're rooting for is what made this show. It's disappointing.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Yeah, my prediction on who would die is way off. Buy there's still three episodes to go
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I liked it, but it wasn't 9.5 great by any stretch (maybe a 7.5).

And you can tell this isn't Martin's story anymore, sadly. There's no courage to drop a central character, like a Ned or Rob Stark. It's now more or less typical Hollywood, epic-hero story telling where you don't have to worry the good guys might lose. Shock and fear for the characters you're rooting for is what made this show. It's disappointing.
    Well, given that the episode went as it went, they could not have killed off the expected leads for the simple reason that 3 episodes would not have been enough to build an ensemble to take on Cersei. You can't kill everybody and then think there's enough to fill another 3 feature length episodes.

The episode was effective and I would even say strong. It takes the viewer on a journey from trepidation, to hope, to terror, to despair, to resignation even. Arya's assumption of the role of azai ahor is despite all indicators a surprise and very satisfying.

But what was so much better about this episode was the way how every single of the 'other heroes' got trampled. The battle of Winterfel was an unmitigated disaster for everyone involved in it. Everything about it was wrong and stupid. Where does that leave us with the future of the Seven Kingdoms, who is actually fit to sit on the Iron Throne? Not Daenerys or Aegon for sure.

9.5.... actually that seems about right.
    Congratulations America

Outside of the Dothroki suicide charge I thought the tactics the defenders had were reasonably solid and the plan was a good one. Lure the Night King (either via dragon or via Brain) and then double team him. Everything else was a big delaying strategy.

The best of all worlds would be Jon as King and Tyrion as Hand. You have bravery and values tempered by intellect. But we'll see, I don't think Jon will fight Dany for it, likely one of them will die before it is over.

7.5 out of 10 for me.

Expected more drama. It was good, the scene was tense and built nicely toward a great end to the episode. I had high expectation of something amazing, but in the end it was a let-down. Particularly as this was the culmination of the whole damn thing; winter is coming.

I was hoping for half of the main chars to have been wiped out, the night King to successfully snatch Bran, and the episode to end in absolute misery and dejection with no hope.

Instead we have Arya flying in from fucking nowhere (dun dun DAAAHH), sticking him with dragon glass so he just pops into nothing, and all the characters survive. A brilliant 8 series of outstanding story-telling, with this mysterious, absolutely evil and seemingly invincible bad guy, winter has FINALLY come, and it ends just like that? Somewhat anti-climactic

Oh well. The next 3 episodes will undoubtedly be interesting as I'm sure it will be wrapping up the Cersei arc, and she's always great to watch. But what has been driving GoT onward, this dreadful idea of the night king and his permanent winter, is no more. So everything from now on doesn't seem so ... meaningful. It'll be 3 episodes of tying up loose ends.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-03-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

GoT s8e3...

Pretty much agree. Should probably be a 7,5 for trying hard, 9,5?! tzzz... forget it.
    So the Night King and that magic is just gone/dead/silent now?!
    The brilliant Dothroki warrios killed themself riding into unknown darkness?
    The northmen didn't know how to build defense? I guess there was no time or use the wall!?

But overall, it was too dark and too hard compressed! It was VERY difficult to watch.

It wasn't that difficult on my TV (UHD) with the lights down.

I remain convinced that : it was fun to see the theories turn to dust, the idiocy of the strategy and tactics was intentional and cuts down Danaerys and Aegon both and finally the emotional arc of the episode was near perfect.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Outside of the Dothroki suicide charge I thought the tactics the defenders had were reasonably solid
    Uh, not really. They put their catapults out in front of the infantry, using them only once just before the stupid suicide charge, and not bothering with them after. They put their infantry out in front of their defensive trench so the trench was useless and actually a barrier to retreat. They didn't defend the trench once it was a burning wall of fire, so the dead just filled it and resumed their attack. And they did a really poor job manning and fortifying the castle wall - no cauldrons of burning oil to dump on bad guys? Nothing big and heavy to drop on mounting piles of dead? What's more, they apparently planned to be so stupid because the castle courtyard was littered with dragon glass covered barriers. Oh, don't forget, they also put their defenseless civilians in a crypt filled with dead people, knowing their enemy can raise the dead into crazed warriors with a wave of his hand. The whole defense plan was stupid upon stupid.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

They deployed their infantry *outside* of the castle. Like, why even have a castle if you're going to do that? Then when they got their kicked and a bunch of soldiers killed for no reason they retreated inside the castle anyway, meaning the only thing deploying outside the walls achieved was that then had to light the trench during the fighting, which would have failed completely if Melisandre hadn't turned up.

The Dothraki Suicide Charge can be written off as a simple miscalculation (It's not like worse mistakes haven't happened in real history), but their entire deployment at the start was the work of a complete madman.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It was. Breathtakingly stupid. But that was part of the genius wrt dramatic effect.
    Congratulations America

They deployed their infantry *outside* of the castle. Like, why even have a castle if you're going to do that? Then when they got their kicked and a bunch of soldiers killed for no reason they retreated inside the castle anyway, meaning the only thing deploying outside the walls achieved was that then had to light the trench during the fighting, which would have failed completely if Melisandre hadn't turned up.

The Dothraki Suicide Charge can be written off as a simple miscalculation (It's not like worse mistakes haven't happened in real history), but their entire deployment at the start was the work of a complete madman.
    You are too forgiving for the wasted cavalry. Imagine deploying them behind Winterfell and once the battle is engaged, and the dead are focused on the castle, uh, flank them. Light cavalry is useful because of mobility, to hit the enemy from multiple sides, to divert attention and confuse, etc. It's very unimaginative to simply ride them into a meat grinder - one that's invisible in the dark no less.

And I think it's reasonable to deploy outside the walls, BEHIND the trench, so that when the dead try to cross, you can destroy them with long dragon glass spears/ flaming arrows/ catapult balls. The living army was so huge, 90% would have been useless inside the castle anyway. There simply wouldn't be enough room on the walls to use them. And FFS, instead of filling the courtyard with barriers, put the flipping catapults in there and fire them constantly.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    It was. Breathtakingly stupid. But that was part of the genius wrt dramatic effect.
    Genius was cutting off Ned Stark's head with no warning. The show hasn't been genius since they outran the written books. It's been good, but not genius. I think it's still good, this season, but certainly not genius.
    The Rules

Can the Night King reanimate chaboobi's dead heart
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Can the Night King reanimate chaboobi's dead heart
    Awww.
    The Rules

HE CAN!!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    HE CAN!!
    I'm right, though. About GoT. You know I am.
    The Rules

Where did the written book end and the tv-scriptwriters take over the story?
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Around season 5 (differs a bit between different plot lines).
    Genius was cutting off Ned Stark's head with no warning. The show hasn't been genius since they outran the written books. It's been good, but not genius. I think it's still good, this season, but certainly not genius.
    Contrast that with the plot armour of most characters in the last episode..
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Where did the written book end and the tv-scriptwriters take over the story?
    I don't know exactly, but I believe the entire last season was beyond the written books. Not sure if the prior one was or not.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Around season 5 (differs a bit between different plot lines).

Contrast that with the plot armour of most characters in the last episode..
    Right. Nobody any viewer might really care about died. I wasn't even worried all that much that they might die and I never doubted at all that the Night King's assault would fail. What's fun about that? Okay, the episode was fun, but you know what I mean.
    The Rules

Martin said early on that while the two mediums would diverge on certain things, he did share his vision for the end of the story with the show writers. So that either means HBO blew their load early killing everyone off to cut expenses or we can hold out hope for one of the remaining episodes to be an unexpected bloodbath.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Right. Nobody any viewer might really care about died.
    Indeed. I did think Theon died well though. Fully redeemed himself with the Starks after his earlier betrayals.

The infantry outside makes sense if looked from the lens of slowing them down. They fight, hold the line, when they can't hold anymore they get to the trench. The trench is lit and as long as it burns the undead are blocked (well then they did the dead body bridge). Then they hold the gate and castle wall. Limited space on the wall itself so troops would just have been sitting in the courtyard. Also gives time for the archers on the wall to shoot more shit.

Right. Nobody any viewer might really care about died. I wasn't even worried all that much that they might die and I never doubted at all that the Night King's assault would fail. What's fun about that? Okay, the episode was fun, but you know what I mean.
    Some people were sad about Lord Friend-zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The infantry outside makes sense if looked from the lens of slowing them down. They fight, hold the line, when they can't hold anymore they get to the trench. The trench is lit and as long as it burns the undead are blocked (well then they did the dead body bridge). Then they hold the gate and castle wall. Limited space on the wall itself so troops would just have been sitting in the courtyard. Also gives time for the archers on the wall to shoot more shit.
    It should have been archers on wall, catapults right outside (perhaps some inside the courtyard), protected by infantry, which should itself be behind the poor excuse of a trench (they should have built a moat and light it on fire).

Light cavalry depends on lowering the other side's morale (through flanking or charging) or disrupting supply lines. The dead don't have morale, they have no supplies, and there were too many of them to try getting behind them to hit the White Walkers. That's to say they should have been set aside for the "last war."
    Hope is the denial of reality

Infantry on the walls, archers in the courtyard (pro-tip: archers can shoot over the walls in an arc). If there's not enough room on the walls for all the infantry, just hold some in reserve to replace causalities or exhausted soldiers - not everyone has to fight at once, that's why they use those big blocks.

As for the Dothraki, how about using them as horse archers, something they're supposed to be really good at in the lore?

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come