Page 19 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: teevee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I loved the 4th season the best, season 5 was very good but had a little too much whining and constipation for my taste, I never dug Lucifer and the finale (esp. Chuck's narration) was very meh for me. I already feel a little meh about season 6
    Season 6 was my least favorite, and I felt 7 was also meh. I thought I was going to be done but I think season 8 was much improved. Right now I think I like 1, 2, 4, and 8 the most.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely a "style" thing. Some people like it....but I find it distracting and almost condescending. If House of Cards wanted to be comparable to novels instead of short stories, or dramatic series instead of serials, I'm not sure why they added the first-person narrative of just one character. It's not like they're creating a series with historical context like *Sherlock Lives*.

That said, it's still a good show.
    Because that's what the original show did.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I've not seen the original BBC House of Cards, and can't compare it to US adaptations. Can you?

Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I've not seen the original BBC House of Cards, and can't compare it to US adaptations. Can you?
    Yes, and if you take a free month of netflix online you could too.
    Congratulations America

Yep I saw the original BBC series, a long time ago, so can't remember much.

I do remember how it ends though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Yes, and if you take a free month of netflix online you could too.
    I could, but I'm not sure I want to spend multiple hours binge-watching one series in order to "appreciate" a new series.

Well then don't.

Just a reminder; in april we won't only have the new season of GoT but also a new season (the last one) of Mad men.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    The 100.

And once again, the Stupid Ball is passed around.

They've got those hightech armbands - but are not capable of including a simple Geiger counter. But then, actual science obviously takes the backseat here. Not to mention that with a total population of a mere 4,000 on the station, you'd need strict population control measures. As in: You'd have not only rules as to how many children are born but also who actually has children with whom.

Then they get down to Earth (at least they let the morons die who unlocked their belts prior to deceleration) and what's the first thing they do? Start a moronic "revolution".
    Yeah, that's right. Unimportant stuff like "food" or "shelter" is put on the backburner.

Seriously, this show feels as if they simply transplanted the mindset of "conceited, spoiled upper-class brats" into a survivalist scenario. Okay, might be reasonable.

If only they hadn't included the "never been to Earth before" or the "the space station is up there since a 100 years" or "you'll be spaced for the most minor of crimes". That would result in a very different society and a very different mindset.

And so on. The shows where they depict teenagers as stupid, obnoxious brats who are too stupid to live grate on my nerves.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

MeTV is a good channel. The acronym is too cute, though. (Me = Memorable Entertainment)

Agents of Shield got good, and is still getting better. Anyone who's abandoned it might want to give it a second shot. Fair warning: last two episodes have spoilers for the Captain America movie.

That part annoyed me - I'd be so carefully avoiding spoilers for the past six months, and four days after it hits theaters I get hit with a full plot summary without warning.

It's not like the plot of that movie isn't blatantly obvious like 10 minutes into it.
    Congratulations America

Still haven't seen it, so I still don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Still haven't seen it, so I still don't know that.
    You'll still going to want to see it for the big explosions and all that.
    Congratulations America

I will eventually. It's been getting fantastic reviews, and the only reason I haven't seen it yet is that the premium theater I like to go to has been booked solid since release.

I just watched the purple wedding episode for the fourth time. It's amazing television.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I just watched the purple wedding episode for the fourth time. It's amazing television.
    Spoiler:
    The problem is that it means a larger role for Cersei, who spends all her time being as annoying as humanly possible. And she's going to continue to be that annoying for possibly multiple seasons.

Nah. Now is when her story gets good.

Spoiler:
    she did well enough against the last set of players that she doesn't even consider the fact that these new players are so far out of her league that the only person she is a threat to is her self. And its an amazing thing to witness once that comes to a head

I hate all of them and hope they all die. Agents of SHIELD is def. getting better even though I'm still on the fence about some of the DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNN decisions. Also mad about the new guy ruining my plans for Coulson's harem
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Nah. Now is when her story gets good.

Spoiler:
    she did well enough against the last set of players that she doesn't even consider the fact that these new players are so far out of her league that the only person she is a threat to is her self. And its an amazing thing to witness once that comes to a head
    Spoiler:
    The amusing thing is that she managed to screw so many things up even though all the strings that were being pulled were meant to help her (at least in the short term). Still doesn't change the fact that for 1.5 books, she's the most annoying character known to man.

Agents of SHIELD has thoroughly redeemed itself. I hope we don't have to keep slogging through mediocre seasons with great finales...

So we've just begun watching The Tomorrow People, a show about a shadow war between a secret and sinister govt agency (led by a complicated psychopathic eugenicist) and an emerging mutant race of superpowered men and women (represented in the show by an underground rebel organisation composed of attractive young fighters and a series of "breakouts" who've just begun to access their powers). It's not super-original, kinda like a more teenified version of the first season of Heroes or maybe Alphas, but it really shines at times and am kinda miffed about the fact that it was cancelled after a single season.

So I'd like your help with finding similarly themed relatively new (ie. made in the last few years) and not-too-dark shows featuring super-powered people, underground rebels, govt. conspiracies etc. halp pls

We already covered that show, Wraith and I. And we were pretty turned off at the time by the stupid ball that everyone was intent on passing around

Orphan Black or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Penny Dreadful anyone?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    We already covered that show, Wraith and I. And we were pretty turned off at the time by the stupid ball that everyone was intent on passing around
    I did watch a couple more episodes of it after the last time we talked about it. It got...just kidding, it was just as bad. It did seem like the writers started trying to be edgy, but they could only do it in the most cliché way possible. They keep insisting on abusing worn out tropes that good writers stopped using in the late 90's. If any of the characters were just the teensiest bit genre savvy instead of being a complete idiot as the plot demands, all the problems of the series would have been solved in five minutes.

Last Week Tonight is fucking hilarious, it really annoys me that it is only once a week.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

And now I'll have a look at True Detective. Penny Arcade endorsed it as CSI: Innsmouth.
    I think True Detective is excellent
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Don't often look in this thread (mainly as I expect spoilers since America is typically ahead) but the finale of How I Met Your Mother was on tonight and boy did that suck. Terrible, terrible, truly disappointing ending for the series. Was tempted to post this in Groove thread it was that bad lol.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The 100.

And once again, the Stupid Ball is passed around.

They've got those hightech armbands - but are not capable of including a simple Geiger counter. But then, actual science obviously takes the backseat here. Not to mention that with a total population of a mere 4,000 on the station, you'd need strict population control measures. As in: You'd have not only rules as to how many children are born but also who actually has children with whom.

Then they get down to Earth (at least they let the morons die who unlocked their belts prior to deceleration) and what's the first thing they do? Start a moronic "revolution".
    Yeah, that's right. Unimportant stuff like "food" or "shelter" is put on the backburner.

Seriously, this show feels as if they simply transplanted the mindset of "conceited, spoiled upper-class brats" into a survivalist scenario. Okay, might be reasonable.

If only they hadn't included the "never been to Earth before" or the "the space station is up there since a 100 years" or "you'll be spaced for the most minor of crimes". That would result in a very different society and a very different mindset.

And so on. The shows where they depict teenagers as stupid, obnoxious brats who are too stupid to live grate on my nerves.
    Not started watching it (its just started here and got it on series link but not seen any) but from the trailers it looks like a sci-fi Lord Of The Flies rather than Lost.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not started watching it (its just started here and got it on series link but not seen any) but from the trailers it looks like a sci-fi Lord Of The Flies rather than Lost.
    [...]Here's a start for you: Imagine a cross between "The Hunger Games" and "Survivor," with a little "Lord of the Flies" and "Beverly Hills 90210" tossed into the hackneyed mix. You're starting to get uncomfortably close to "The 100."[...]
    The first part of "The 100" plays like something that should be called "Deep Space Whine." The second half turns into "Armageddon: The High School Years."
    When a mutant snake-like creature threatens the cartoon-like teens on Earth, you're hoping it has worked up a good appetite. This isn't anybody's idea of Eden, folks, and you're siding with the snake.
    http://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/ind...or_the_cw.html