Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

The Witcher S1 on Netflix, I think it was pretty good.
    8/10.

It did feel well made, like Mandalorian, but not out of synch, so a bit better.
    Last edited by rille; 12-31-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rille View Post
    The Witcher S1 on Netflix, I think it was pretty good.
    8/10.

It did feel well made, like Mandalorian, but not out of synch, so a bit better.
    It felt very much like sitting in on someone else playing an RPG. An RPG that at times felt like the creators at one time or another had read Wheel of Time.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    An RPG that at times felt like the creators at one time or another had read Wheel of Time.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Finished The Expanse S4. Not quite as involving as the previous 3 seasons but still pretty good. Opening for S5 is there with a big cliffhanger at the end.

~

Am two episodes into The Witcher. Seems a bit silly. Will stick at it for now and see if it improves but so far am disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'm enjoying Expanse S4. Almost done...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Two episodes in to Messiah.

Looking very promising ...
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I'm enjoying Expanse S4. Almost done...
    In the final stretch of Killing Eve S2, and wow it's getting dark. Love it.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

It's kind of a mind-fuck, which makes it timely in our current cultural/religious/geo-political times, with "fake news" and "hoaxes" and all. I heard it got panned by the critics, but I'm still watching....

Finished The Witcher

Not impressed really. Didn't much care for any of the characters. Geralt was vaguely amusing in a brooding way to begin with, but then became too predictably wooden and rather dull as a result. Yennefer's arc held a little bit of interest. The rest; meh.

The storyline and plot chopped and changed too much, did little to hold the viewer's attention.

I got little sense of time-and-place. I didn't feel embedded in the world of Sintra and Nilfgaard like I certainly did in the world of Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms.

Script-wise there were too many modern terms and phrases used which threw my already tenuous suspension of disbelief.

All a bit crap really - nowhere near the hype.

Finished The Witcher

Not impressed really. Didn't much care for any of the characters. Geralt was vaguely amusing in a brooding way to begin with, but then became too predictably wooden and rather dull as a result. Yennefer's arc held a little bit of interest. The rest; meh.

The storyline and plot chopped and changed too much, did little to hold the viewer's attention.

I got little sense of time-and-place. I didn't feel embedded in the world of Sintra and Nilfgaard like I certainly did in the world of Westeros and the Seven Kingdoms.

Script-wise there were too many modern terms and phrases used which threw my already tenuous suspension of disbelief.

All a bit crap really - nowhere near the hype.
    Completely disagree. Geralt works just fine and fits the role of grim stoic warrior quite easily. The show has some comic relief so its not all grit. Characters act in realistic fashion and a lot of the combat scenes were incredibly well done. I get why some viewers had some confusion in the first few episodes due to the timeline but it should be obvious to anyone paying attention after those episodes.

The only two weaknesses I saw were:

1. Eight episodes is a bit rushed. I think I finished in two days and really wanted more. GoT had 10 first season and two extra episodes can allow for a solid amount of world building.

2. They ran out of CGI budget in the middle somewhere. The dragon... fuck that was bad.

Finally got around to Marco Polo. The Weinstein logo coming up before you can skip the intro does this show no favors. To the point that it kind of makes you notice how over the top and pointless to the plot the numerous scenes of nudity, sex, and orgies are.

Otherwise its got a good cast, good story, and solid action. Disappointed to discover it only got 2 seasons. Not knowing all that much about that time frame in history made the show interesting, till I started researching some of the people and discovered that they took a lot of liberties which earned it a lot of flack.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Law and Order binge-a-thon.

Picard?!
    It's too early to say.

I miss the good old Star Trek times.

Original Star Trek episodes are available, too! Check your local cable TV listings and on-demand streaming options.

Retro TV is trending big time.

I think most of it is on Netflix.

Hmm.
    I miss the days of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.
    Discovery is not even that and Picard is pretty far off too.

Very irritated with Sky. We recently got Sky Q and went through the box sets to find something to binge and found Law and Order: SVU from the beginning. We've often watched individual episodes in the past but never watched it as a series week after week. A few years ago we started watching the original season from the beginning while on holiday in Canada on Netflix but after returning to the UK it wasn't on Netflix in this country.

Spent the last few weeks/months binge watching this after the kids go to bed. Went from the beginning then got to the end of Season 17 only to have no further episodes available. Sky's halfway through series 21 on live TV week after week but series 18-20 and the first half of 21 is just missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I've enjoyed watching the original Law & Order episodes, then Criminal Intent. (SVU doesn't appeal to me, but maybe you can't access all the old shows because it's currently being filmed?)

I didn't like the end of Bojack Horseman. I heard an interview with the show's creator a couple seasons ago, and he sort of lost his narrative nerve in the face of #me too. He wouldn't describe it that way, but it's more or less what happened. The characters and story lines in the final season are either annoying or crappy, though I liked fat Dianne.

I've been enjoying The Crown, but in the high drama moments, I am plagued with the knowledge that the royal family is useless and its existence stupid. Sorry Brits, but its ridiculous. Super kudos for John Lithgow as Churchill. Wow.

Lost in Space S2 was okay, not terrible. More or less consistent with S1, I guess. Parker Posey is so good.
    The Rules

Finished S1.

V good teevee

Today I was zapping through HBO and saw a BBC series about the beginning of WWII. I decided to give it a try. Then I had this real strange experience during the first minutes; like I could not believe what I was seeing. What I saw was a woman driving a car on a road through a forest. And what my eyes were telling me that the woman behind the wheel was the British actress Penelope Keith. But not Penelope as she looks today but the way she looked when she played Margot Ledbetter in the seventies. Then my brain started to refuse this notion of Penelope being in a newish series looking 40 years younger.
    Then my memory decided that I was actually looking at Helen Hunt, but again, not the Helen Hunt I knew, but a Helen Hunt who had undergone some plastic surgery that left her with another woman's face.
    Congratulations America

Zero Zero Zero on Amazon Prime. Good slow burn. No big star hallucinations required.

I've been watching Westworld, and honestly S3 is the first season I've really liked.

Started watching The Loop on Amazon, and I'm liking it. Very stylish, with its 60's era high technology. Moody though.

Looking forware to Upload, on Amazon. Heard good things about it.

Liking S5 of Better Call Saul. Good stuff, though the older characters from Breaking Bad are not aging well...
    The Rules

Finished Community on Netflix and I'm kind of sad it's over.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Upload was okay. Better Call Saul was good, just heard it got cancelled, though. Bummer. So much for the (minor) cliff hanger ending...

I'm re-watching The Last Air Bender on Netflix. Ahh, nostalgia. Watched the whole thing with the kids like 10 years ago.
    The Rules

Started to watch "Vikings".

It was kinda fun because they looked like me and my family.
    Especially now when I have a beard. (though no hair on top)

They got some of the stories wrong but it was close enough so it doesn't matter.

My only respite from childcare and fomenting right wing voter turnout is watching the Expanse, which I had not heard of until last week. It's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    My only respite from childcare and fomenting right wing voter turnout is watching the Expanse, which I had not heard of until last week. It's good!
    Really? I always see it listed, but never had the inclination to try it.
    Congratulations America

Its been mentioned in this very thread half a dozen times too

I've been binging on Billions. Made it all the way to season 5, but am starting to get bored. I don't buy the Taylor character and the matter-of-fact politically correct reactions of everybody around them. The rivalries also start smacking of incest and the pop-art references are getting old; these people don't have time to take a leak in peace and yet they all seem to have unlimited time to watch movies and series that ran when their mother's were still virgins. Or the repeat references to the Beatles, I am probably older than every starring character in that series and even for me the Beatles are a band that a generation before me listened to.
    Congratulations America

I like The Expanse, I think I don't like waiting for season 5
    Congratulations America