Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1757

Thread: teevee sucks

I gave up on Walking Dead somewhere near the start of S2 I think. Too much contrived silliness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I gave up on Walking Dead somewhere near the start of S2 I think. Too much contrived silliness.
    Season 3 did it for me.
    Congratulations America

I think teevee died!

HBO - no news.
    Netflix - no news.

I got Swedish cmore and viaplay (on hold) ... I watch the normal channels, mostly a few minutes of the wakeup/morning show.
    ...But right now... almost no new series.

Prime! ... I wanted to watch s3 och startup but it's not available to strream when I select it.
    Thanks for the warning... so... no news.

*sigh*

I finished S2 of Mindhunter and I was disappointed. It wasn't terrible, but it lost momentum and energy midway, got bogged down, slow and plodding. I thought the guy who played Charlie Manson was fantastic, though.

E1 of Glow S3 almost had me shut it off for good - so bad for a season opener. But E2 started with sex, so I watched that.

Into E4 of Stranger Things - shaping up to be an Invasion of the Body Snatchers plot.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I really need Netflix to release Witcher already.

Is anyone else watching "Our Boys"? It's based on real events. It's the first mini-series I've watched where Hebrew is the main language. I miss a lot of the acting because I'm reading the subtitles, and the plot is still riveting even tho I know how it ends....

Comcast took Turner Classic Movies off their 'expanded basic' package. They bundled it with sports channels I'll never watch. I'm already forced to pay a "sports franchise tax" with no way to opt-out. What a crock.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Comcast took Turner Classic Movies off their 'expanded basic' package. They bundled it with sports channels I'll never watch. I'm already forced to pay a "sports franchise tax" with no way to opt-out. What a crock.
    Cut the cord. I did three years ago and no regrets.

Also, Better Call Saul, S4 = excellent!
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

So ... finished Legion S3 and that's the lot.

Wow! Well worth the outlay.

Surprising, unpredictable, enigmatic, brilliant, haunting, creepy, longing, romantic, melancholic, TV-as-an-art-form.

Loved just about every moment. Highly, highly recommended.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Unbelievable

Netflix series, true story about a serial rapist in the Colorado area. Strong performances from Toni Colette amongst others.

I can usually spot when a series is directed by a woman such as this, as I did here. There is a pause to it, a slowness of pace which gives space and time for a greater thoughtfulness that I have come to appreciate, which is lacking in the more usual male equivalent.

This series didn't tackle the difficult grey area of he said / she said that can afflict the more difficult rape cases as I hoped this one might. But then the facts of this story did not have the scope for that debate.

Insatiable is so silly that it's irresistible.
    Congratulations America

Unbelievable

Netflix series, true story about a serial rapist in the Colorado area. Strong performances from Toni Colette amongst others.

I can usually spot when a series is directed by a woman such as this, as I did here. There is a pause to it, a slowness of pace which gives space and time for a greater thoughtfulness that I have come to appreciate, which is lacking in the more usual male equivalent.

This series didn't tackle the difficult grey area of he said / she said that can afflict the more difficult rape cases as I hoped this one might. But then the facts of this story did not have the scope for that debate.
    I thought it was well done, too.

I watched it with my son, and he noted the title Unbelievable also described the first victim because she was young and from a 'troubled' background. That male police attitude (not believing the victim) was just as powerful as any he said/she said. I didn't know the director was a woman, but thought the 'greater thoughtfulness' was that female detectives approach rape cases very differently than male detectives.

You appear to have missed that it started with a female rape victim undermining her credibility for having the wrong reactions to being raped.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Pray tell, what are the "right reactions" then?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I suspect a point of the movie is there are no "right" reactions.

Watchmen (TV Series).

Not what I was expecting (I'm a fan of the movie), but I like it. I could see it either becoming a real classic or going too much down the being topical route. We'll see what happens with episode 2.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Pray tell, what are the "right reactions" then?
    So, you did not see the series. Mind keeping your opinions on it to yourself until you have?
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I suspect a point of the movie is there are no "right" reactions.
    I think that was the issue addressed. But it's not a movie. It's a series.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You appear to have missed that it started with a female rape victim undermining her credibility for having the wrong reactions to being raped.
    I think the 'wrong' reactions came from the initial male detectives. They didn't recognize she was in shock, or that shock can effect Affect. They didn't encourage her to have someone present during interviews (not just because she was a minor, but for emotional support), and they treated her interviews like interrogations.

The second victim smiled and giggled during her interviews. Because she was in shock. But the female detective believed her, treated her with respect, and continued to hunt for the rapist. She even enlisted help from other police depts and the FBI to extend the search.

None of the cases had much evidence. But the first (male) detectives gave up looking, because it was easier to believe a foster mom's complaints (about a 'troubled' kid) than the victim herself. If you recall, he ended up admitting that cops like him might be part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    So, you did not see the series. Mind keeping your opinions on it to yourself until you have?
    Nope. But your phrasing was spectacularly bad. Unless you actually hold the option that there are "right reactions" to a rape - in which case not only the phrasing would be bad.

It was not spectacularly badly phrased; it was a precise description of what transpired in the series. A young rape victim was suspected of making things up for having the wrong reactions to being raped. And the person who said she behaved odd for a rape victim was a rape victim herself.
    Congratulations America

Aaaaaaand you phrased it spectacularly badly again. Congratulations on not getting it.

There's no such thing as a "wrong reaction" - and of course she would say such a thing, she knows that there's a certain expectancy on how to behave even when there's no factual basis for it.

But let me enlighten you: "A young rape victim was suspected of making things up for having reactions to being raped that didn't match expectations."

That would be the precise description. When you phrase it as a "wrong reaction" in your summary without qualifiers, you're actually adopting the viewpoint of people who expect victims to behave in a standard way.
    But I don't really expect you to realize this.

Can you please shut your claptrap about descriptions of what transpired in a series you didn't even watch?
    Congratulations America

Peaky Blinders, S5 is excellent.

Trying to get through Good Omens, but I keep falling asleep mid-episode. I guess that's a review in itself....
    The Rules

Agreed - I didn't really get in to Good Omens. Got to about Ep 4 or 5 and moved onto other stuff. Disappointing, was looking forward to it prior to release.

The world seems to have gone a bit mad recently for Peaky Blinders. It's been on the BBC for so long now, but it's only recently suddenly become popular. Strange. Might pick it up some day, not watched any yet.

~

Not really watching much at the moment. Looking forward to S3 of The Crown in a week or so when it's released.

Also S4 of The Expanse when Amazon release it mid-Dec.

Castle Rock on HBO, quite good.
    A bit strange... not sure what to make of Season 1.

Agreed - I didn't really get in to Good Omens. Got to about Ep 4 or 5 and moved onto other stuff. Disappointing, was looking forward to it prior to release.
    Finished it. Don't bother.

The world seems to have gone a bit mad recently for Peaky Blinders. It's been on the BBC for so long now, but it's only recently suddenly become popular. Strange. Might pick it up some day, not watched any yet.
    I've been watching it on Netflix for a few years now. I highly recommend. Make it the next thing you watch.

Also S4 of The Expanse when Amazon release it mid-Dec.
    Very much looking forward to this!
    The Rules

I LOVED Peaky Blinders. Even started watching the beginning, again. It's that good.

The problem with Good Omens is the same as the issue with most of Pratchett's work - it's bloody difficult to adapt for television. So much of what makes Good Omens one of the funniest books I've ever read is the language - not just the dialogue, but the narrative, word choice, and pitch-perfect timing. Translating that to television is just incredibly tough. They tried to make it work with a lot of voiceover, but it never really gelled. There were some decent bits, but overall it was quite disappointing.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Honestly I think that the problem with Good Omens started with the casting.
    Congratulations America