Thread: The Good Deed Feed

Default The Good Deed Feed

Idea stolen from a free commuter newspaper.

Random acts of kindness, community help, stepping in to assist a stranger in need. Good deeds. Cos TWF needs more luurrrve.

And to all you mega-thread haters, kindly take your mega-hate to the mega-Groove thread where it belongs. This place here is for fluffiness.

Robbed OAP given £200 by complete stranger after street mugging

The good Samaritan withdrew the sum from a cashpoint machine, handed it to the 86-year-old woman – and promptly disappeared.

Now police investigating the robbery have publicly thanked him for his actions even though they don’t know who he is.

The pensioner’s handbag was snatched as she headed back to her car in York. Witnesses said a man who saw what had happened then drew the cash out.

Sgt Mike Pickersgill said: ‘She tried to refuse the money but he insisted on giving it to her.
    ‘He could not bear to see her out of pocket. He did not want to make a big deal out of it.’

The mystery benefactor is believed to be a semi-professional athlete, but police did not know his identity. ‘It was a very good thing to do. It is just a shame we do not know who he was,’ he added.

York councillor David Horton said: ‘Obviously, the poor lady will have been very appreciative.

‘It’s nice for someone to do that and disappear without trying to gain kudos out of it.’
    A man has been arrested and has appeared before York magistrates in connection with the attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Is The Sun backing this thread to go with their support for "Help for Heroes" and "The Pride of Britain Awards" or any other 'fashionable scheme thats currently in the limelight'?

Actually it's from The Metro - and The Good Deed Feed is more for readers to text in random thankyous to whomever and for whatever they like - but it's a section that always makes me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

The Metro is a good paper, better than most rags that's for certain. However, I cannot add anything to this thread hence my derailment

I bought a McDonald's meal and stuck a tenner in there for a homeless guy at the end of December.

I couldn't find him after I bought it, so I had a look and found his sleeping bag found in a bush. Hid it in there for him. That would have been a nice surprise
    How do you expect to run with the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

- Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyMilk View Post
    I bought a McDonald's meal and stuck a tenner in there for a homeless guy at the end of December.

I couldn't find him after I bought it, so I had a look and found his sleeping bag found in a bush. Hid it in there for him. That would have been a nice surprise
    That's really sweet.

Being tall I frequently get old ladies in supermarkets asking me to help them get things from the top shelf. They don't tend to like it when you pick them up though
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

I offered a friend of mine who - suddenly - became homeless to stay at my flat in Amsterdam this week and I offered him he could stay next week when I am in Istanbul also.

I also just learned that our Prime Minister has a part-time job on the side as teacher Dutch and History at a highschool.
    Congratulations America

I have, at different times in my life, given people a place to stay, a good meal, or even cash. Up until the last year, I never quite realized exactly how much those things can really mean. But, sometimes that good deed comes back to bite me in the ass! I still feel good about giving The Friend's ex-wife a place to stay when she didn't have one, but she sure as hell fucked me over in the long run!

The last time that really sticks in my mind was right around Christmas time. The Kid and I went to Casper to shop. For some reason, we stopped at an Arby's that was right next door to McDonalds. There was a woman and 2 kids standing outside, shivering and wet. I talked to her for a minute and found out they were basically stranded due to car trouble that was going to cost more than she could afford. They were moving to Ohio from Oregon, and Casper was where they got stuck! She didn't even have enough money to buy the kids a burger from the dollar menu at McD's. (She was getting money wired to her, but it wasn't there yet.) I took her and the kids (I gave them a choice of Arby's or McD's.) to McD's and bought them all a reasonably decent meal! I think it cost me a whopping $10, but the feeling I got from helping someone in a worse spot than mine was priceless!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I also just learned that our Prime Minister has a part-time job on the side as teacher Dutch and History at a highschool.
    Your prime minister also has remarkably good hair. (Just googled him; that's my takeaway lesson: good hair + smarts = prime minister.)

That's all right, my former state's former governor had even better hair.

I gave $10 to someone buying $3 of gas with nickles and dimes. I am not a giver, but it felt good.

It felt good to nickle & dime them?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

We order pizza from a local place that delivers, the pizza's are fantastic and so are the burgers, souvlaki's and salad's. However, for a long time I have been annoyed by this old guy that does the delivery to my area - he has always been sullen and has been downright rude a couple of times, once to my wife which really pissed me off.

Anyway, a couple of months back we had a bit of an afternoon get together with a bunch of friends and by the time the evening arrived we were too lubricated to bother cooking dinner so we ordered a bunch of pizza's.

Sure enough, Mr Happy was the delivery driver but I was in too good a mood to let him bring me down (he looked like the weight of the world was on his shoulders TBH) and whether it was the booze, my good mood or that I may have actually felt sorry for him I told him to "keep the change" - it amounted to giving him about $12. Not a lot in the scheme of things but certainly more than "change".

He looked at me like a frightened child and asked "Are you sure mate?"

I was turning away with the food and said "Yeah mate, have a good night." and disappeared back into the house to feed the drunken mob.

We have ordered pizza's a few times since and it is the same guy but the difference is absolutely remarkable - he jumps out of his car with the food and does a little trot-like run to the door and his face is beaming when we greet him. He is so friendly, and I mean genuinely friendly, not just creepy friendly because he wants another $12 - it's like I killed off the miserable old prick in him and brought out the sprightly young chap in him.

Of course it is possible that the money has nothing to do with his change of character and that some other completely unrelated matter has reached some resolution and he no longer feels (and looks) so fucking miserable.

I've not told him to keep the change since though, just in case it changes him back!
    Such is Life...

No good deeds to report, I give in anonymity. All those secret donations to your favorite charities, yeah that was me.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

My landlord called me this afternoon and told me there was a lady with 2 kids moving into the Helpmate* apartment next door. She said this woman and her kids had the clothes on their backs and nothing else. Jen asked me if I had some extra canned goods I would be willing to share. Jen knows I'm a hoarder when it comes to food. I think it comes from growing up 20 miles from town and we didn't run to the store every day. I told her sure, come on up and I would give some. I gave about $30 worth of stuff, canned veggies, soups, hamburger helper and some hamburger, and a few spices. I guess Jen told her I gave this box of food, because the lady and her kids were just at my door, telling me thanks. I sure didn't give the food to get any thanks back, in fact I had no idea Jen would tell her where it came from. It just made me feel terrific to be in a spot to help!

*Helpmate is our local domestic violence center. They keep a furnished apartment here in my building! They helped me out a little when I was homeless, so giving back was just something I felt I needed to do!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!