Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.9 magnitude earthquake near Japan, enormous tsunami hitting surrounding areas

Default 8.9 magnitude earthquake near Japan, enormous tsunami hitting surrounding areas

Tokyo (CNN) -- An 8.9-magnitude earthquake hit northern Japan on Friday, triggering tsunamis and sending a massive body of water filled with debris that included boats and houses inching toward highways.
    The epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) away from the capital, Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said. But residents there felt the tremors.
    The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. Waves of debris flowed like lava across farmland, pushing boats, houses and trailers toward highways.
    Tsunami warnings issued for other countries
    In Tokyo, crowds gathered in the streets and tried to reach relatives via cell phone.
    CNN bureau in Japan experiences quake Witness: 'Tremor to remember' Quake slams Japan
    RELATED TOPICS
    Earthquakes
    U.S. Geological Survey
    Scenes inside office buildings showed papers strewn all over the floor and people clinging onto seats and desks.
    Such a large earthquake at such a shallow depth creates a lot of energy, said Shenza Chen of the U.S. Geological Survey.
    It caused a power outage in about 4 million homes in Tokyo and surrounding areas.
    A tsunami in the Pacific was moving closer to other shorelines in other countries, said CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera.
    It triggered tsunami warnings for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said.
    "Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.
    "Based on all available data a tsunami may have been generated by this earthquake that could be destructive on coastal areas even far from the epicenter."
    The quake was the latest in a series in the region this week.
    Early Thursday, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck off the coast of Honshu.
    A day earlier, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck off of Honshu, the country's meteorological agency said.
    The largest recorded quake took place in Chile on May 22, 1960, with a magnitude of 9.5, the USGS said.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/as...ex.html?hpt=T1

This is awful. They have put up a list of when the tsunami will hit other countries too, here:
    http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php...1.03.11.073000
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

That wall of water is truly stunning and scary. Damn. Unreal footage
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Some crazy shit to wake up to this morning. Should be hitting hawaii in a few minutes.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Good news at least at my end; my cousin is ok and in a different part of the country. Sadly, the death toll's still going to get higher. Hopefully Japan's managed to prepare since Kobe.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Reminds me of the opening sequence for a Godzilla enemy...

Ok, how/why is that whirlpool effect happening?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Ok, how/why is that whirlpool effect happening?
    My guess is that massive amounts of water hit an obstruction and are trying to return to where they came from, fighting against more massive amounts of water trying to go where the other has already been.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Ya, it looks like the two walls ( or whatever they are on the right side of the screen) have trapped the first wave of water and as it is trying to ebb back out a second wall of water is moving in. Really freaky though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/eGSKJ.jpg
    Indeed.

Jesus... imminent nuclear meltdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Jesus... imminent nuclear meltdown?
    Yeah! I just heard that too. This is not a good thing!

GGT and I were still chatting away on MSN when the first newscasts about the earthquake hit. I sat here until about 5AM (mountain time) watching the horrible aftereffects. When I got back up at 9, it looked worse than it did earlier. I feel really sorry for the people affected, but at the same time, I am so glad I live in Wyoming. We don't get natural disasters that kill hundreds, if not thousands of people. And, from what I could see, the tsunami was worse than the earthquake. Japan has prepared for earthquakes, but you really can't prepare for a wall of water like the tsunami creates.

As I sat here this morning, watching the video from the safety of my little apartment, I was stunned at how long the quake lasted! I had always thought they were a short time event. Sitting here watching, this one seemed to go on forever! I can't imagine being in the middle of that! We do get quakes here, in fact we had a 2.9 quake Wed. evening that was centered about 20 miles northeast of town, but so far nothing like this.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Indeed.
    Just goes to show that your endorsements are mostly discountable,

Japan’s Strict Building Codes Saved Lives

My support for their smart building codes is discountable?

My support for their smart building codes is discountable?
    Please use the quote function or you will be reported.

But no, you showed support for the sentiment that it would not be reported. Your up-thumb was directed at this,

What are you talking about?
    The headline you won't be reading.

Yes, I agree with the headline I won't be reading. Good engineering and building codes saved huge amounts of lives.

Except maybe in terms of nuclear engineering. Seems really ironically sad that this happening in Japan of all places:

March 12, 2011

Explosion Rocks Japan Nuclear Plant After Quake

By MATTHEW L. WALD

WASHINGTON — An explosion at a nuclear power plant in northern Japan on Saturday blew the roof off one building, brought down walls and caused a radiation leak of unspecified proportions, Japanese officials said, after Friday’s huge earthquake caused critical failures in the plant’s cooling system.

Television images showed a huge cloud of white-gray smoke from the explosion. Soon afterward, government officials said an evacuation zone around the plant had been doubled, to 12 miles. The chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, confirmed earlier news reports of an explosion at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, 15o miles north of Tokyo, saying: “We are looking into the cause and the situation and we’ll make that public when we have further information.” He was speaking amid fears that a disastrous meltdown could be imminent because of critical cooling failures at that plant and another nearby, Daini, after both were shut down.

Images on Japanese television showed that the walls of one building had crumbled, leaving only a skeletal metal frame standing with smoke billowing from the plant. The Associated Press reported that the damaged building housed a nuclear reactor, though that report was not immediately verified by nuclear officials. The cause of the explosion was unclear, with some experts speculating that it may have resulted from a hydrogen build-up.

There was no immediate confirmation of news reports that the container of the nuclear reactor itself had escaped damage.

Bloomberg News quoted Tokyo Electric Power Co., the plant’s operator, as saying the explosion happened “near” the No. 1 reactor at around 3:40 p.m. Japan time on Saturday. Four people were reported injured. The explosion came roughly 26 and a half hours after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake caused a deadly tsunami that killed hundreds and caused both plants to be shut down. Authorities issued broad evacuation orders on Saturday for people living near the plants and warned that small amounts of radioactive material were likely to leak out.

Officials said even before the explosion that they had detected cesium, an indication that some of the fuel was already damaged.

In the form found in reactors, radioactive cesium is a fragment of a uranium atom that has been split. In normal operations, some radioactivity in the cooling water is inevitable, because neutrons, the sub-atomic particles that carry on the chain reaction, hit hydrogen and oxygen atoms in the water and make those radioactive. But cesium, which persists far longer in the environment, comes from the fuel itself.

Naoto Sekimura, a professor at Tokyo University, told NHK, Japan’s public broadcaster, that “only a small portion of the fuel has been melted. But the plant is shut down already, and being cooled down. Most of the fuel is contained in the plant case, so I would like to ask people to be calm.”

Failure of the cooling systems allowed pressure to build up beyond the design capacity of the reactors. Small amounts of radioactive vapor were expected to be released into the atmosphere to prevent damage to the containment systems, safety officials said. They said that the levels of radiation were not large enough to threaten the health of people outside the plants, and that the evacuations had been ordered as a precaution.

Nuclear safety officials focused initially on the Daiichi plant. But by Saturday morning Japan had declared states of emergency for five reactors at the two plants, an escalation that added to worries about the safety of nuclear facilities in the quake-prone Japanese islands.

The Daiichi and Daini plants are 10 miles apart in Fukushima Prefecture, close to the quake’s epicenter off the coast.

The plants’ problems were described as serious but were far short of a catastrophic emergency like the partial core meltdown that occurred at the Three Mile Island plant near Harrisburg, Pa., in 1979.

A Japanese nuclear safety panel said the radiation levels were 1,000 times above normal in a reactor control room at the Daiichi plant. Some radioactive material had also seeped outside, with radiation levels near the main gate measured at eight times normal, NHK quoted nuclear safety officials as saying.

The safety officials said there was “no immediate health hazard” to residents from the leaks, which they described as “minute,” and people were urged to stay calm.

The emergency at the Daiichi plant began shortly after the earthquake struck on Friday afternoon. Emergency diesel generators, which had kicked in to run the reactor’s cooling system after the electrical power grid failed, shut down about an hour after the earthquake. There was speculation that the tsunami had knocked the generators out of service.

Twenty hours later, the plant was operating in a battery-controlled cooling mode. Tokyo Electric said that by Saturday morning it had installed a mobile generator at Daiichi to ensure that the cooling system would continue operating even after reserve battery power was depleted. Even so, the company said it was considering a “controlled containment venting” in order to avoid an “uncontrolled rupture and damage” to the containment unit.

“With evacuation in place and the oceanbound wind, we can ensure the safety,” a nuclear safety official, Yukio Edano, said at a news conference early Saturday.

It was not clear, however, how long the cooling systems could continue to function in emergency mode or when normal power supplies could be restored.

Two workers were reported missing at the Daiichi plant, but the company did not explain what might have happened to them.

A pump run by steam, designed to function in the absence of electricity, was adding water to the reactor vessel, and as that water boiled off, it was being released. Such water is usually only slightly radioactive, according to nuclear experts. As long as the fuel stays covered by water, it will remain intact, and the bulk of the radioactive material will stay inside. If the fuel is exposed, it can result in a meltdown.

The reactors at the two plants initially shut down when the earthquake began at 2:46 p.m. Friday. But emergency diesel generators at the Daiichi plant went down a little less than an hour later, and pressure began to rise in the reactor, leading operators to vent it.

During much of the early morning on Saturday, safety officials focused on getting emergency power supplies to the Daiichi plant to restore the normal cooling function.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, speaking in Washington, said that American military planes had already delivered “coolant.” But American military officials indicated that while they were prepared to help Japan grapple with any problems related to its nuclear facilities, they had not been asked to do so.

Japan relies heavily on nuclear power, which generates just over one-third of the country’s electricity. Its plants are designed to withstand earthquakes, which are common, but experts have long expressed concerns about safety standards, particularly if major quake hit close to a reactor.

One major concern is that while plant operators can quickly shut down a nuclear reactor, they cannot allow the cooling systems to stop working. Even after the plant’s chain reaction is stopped, its fuel rods produce about six percent as much heat as they do when the plant is running. The production of heat drops off sharply in the following hours, but continued cooling is needed or the water will boil away and the fuel will melt, releasing the uranium fragments inside.

Heat from the nuclear fuel rods must be removed by water in a cooling system, but that requires power to run the pumps, align the valves in the pipes and run the instruments. The plant requires a continuous supply of electricity even after the reactor stops generating power.

With the steam-driven pump in operation, pressure valves on the reactor vessel would open automatically as pressure rose too high, or could be opened by operators. “It’s not like they have a breach; there’s no broken pipe venting steam,” said Margaret E. Harding, a nuclear safety consultant who managed a team at General Electric, the reactors’ designer, that analyzed pressure buildup in reactor containments. “You’re getting pops of release valves for minutes, not hours, that take pressure back down.”

Civilian power reactors are designed with emergency diesel generators to assure the ability to continue cooling even during a blackout. Many reactors have two, assuring redundancy; some have three, so that if one must be taken out of service for maintenance, the plant can still keep running.

It was not immediately clear how many diesel generators there are at Daiichi, but the operators reported earlier in the day that they were not working, prompting the evacuation.

Daiichi, which is formally known as Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, was designed by General Electric and entered commercial service in 1971. It was probably equipped to function for some hours without emergency diesel generators, said David Lochbaum, who worked at three American reactor complexes that use G.E. technology.

Mr. Lochbaum, who also worked as an instructor for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on G.E. reactors, said that such reactors were equipped to ride out interruptions in electrical power by using pumps that could be powered by steam, which would still be available in case of electric power failure. Valves can be opened by motors that run off batteries, he said. Plants as old as Fukushima Daiichi 1 generally have batteries that are large enough to operate for four hours, he said.

After that, he said, the heat production in the core is still substantial but has been reduced. The heat would boil away the cooling water, raising pressure in the reactor vessel, until automatic relief valves opened to let out some of the steam. Then the valves would close and the pressure would start building again.

If the cooling system remains inoperative for many hours, the water will eventually boil away, he said, and the fuel will begin to melt. That is what happened at Three Mile Island. In that case, the causes were mechanical failure, operator error and poor design, according to government investigators.

Yasuko Kamiizumi contributed reporting from Tokyo, Alan Cowell from Paris and Ken Belson from New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/wo...13nuclear.html

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    And promptly the anti-atom hysteria rears its head again over here. I sometimes wonder about the good sense of some people...

"Well, they say our atomar power plants are safe! How do they know that? Look at Japan!" - "Well, for one, we don't have earthquakes over here. Secondly, if you weren't so hell-bent on preventing any and all new power plants on being built, we wouldn't have to contend with 40 year old reactor designs..."
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Surreal pictures and videos. Huge ships and cargo containers look like toys. Now the added danger from the nuclear power plants, and strong after-shocks.

Do gas masks filter out radioactive air?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    And promptly the anti-atom hysteria rears its head again over here. I sometimes wonder about the good sense of some people...

"Well, they say our atomar power plants are safe! How do they know that? Look at Japan!" - "Well, for one, we don't have earthquakes over here. Secondly, if you weren't so hell-bent on preventing any and all new power plants on being built, we wouldn't have to contend with 40 year old reactor designs..."
    Yeah
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The holy shit starts rolling at 30 seconds in.

So a problematic reactor built in the late 60's was able to take an earthquake over 20 times as powerful as it was designed for? Sounds impressive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post

Other countries have been constantly developing modern designs, so I don't see why they would be 40 years old.

They were built then...
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

To me these events in Japan show that nuclear energy is a fairly safe way of electricity production.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    To me these events in Japan show that nuclear energy is a fairly safe way of electricity production.
    I agree that it's fairly safe, but I don't think these events have particularly shown that. Clearly the failsafes for the cooling systems didn't work - something was wrong with the diesel backup. That's obviously unacceptable. Even if the reactor housings are more or less intact, they have had to release some potentially dangerous amounts of radioactivity into the atmosphere. A better designed cooling system would probably have negated the need for this entire saga.

Almost put this in the youth unemployment thread, for Lewk. But it's a better fit here. Their disaster preparedness is probably directly related to their sense of communitarianism. The Japanese don't seem to complain about who lives in "risky" areas close to shorelines, who's insured or not, federal disaster insurance, or government agencies like FEMA.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/12...ultural-roots/

The layer of human turmoil - looting and scuffles for food or services - that often comes in the wake of disaster seems noticeably absent in Japan.

“Looting simply does not take place in Japan. I’m not even sure if there’s a word for it that is as clear in its implications as when we hear ‘looting,’" said Gregory Pflugfelder, director of the Donald Keene Center of Japanese Culture at Columbia University.

Japanese have “a sense of being first and foremost responsible to the community,” he said.

To Merry White, an anthropology professor at Boston University who studies Japanese culture , the real question is why looting and disorder exist in American society. She attributes it largely to social alienation and class gaps.

"There IS some alienation and indeed some class gaps in Japan too but violence, and taking what belongs to others, are simply not culturally approved or supported," White said in an e-mail.

Pflugfelder is in Japan for a conference and has witnessed the calm response in Tokyo firsthand. Tokyo is hundreds of miles from the 8.9-magnitude earthquake’s epicenter and the widespread devastation.

Pflugfelder was inside the National Diet Library when the earthquake struck.

“The fact that the library decided to let people stay an hour and a half past closing time was one of the first things that made me realize the scale of the disaster because that kind of departure from schedule, from the norms, is quite unusual,” he said.

The orderly lines that formed when the subway reopened around midnight also made an impression on Pflugfelder.

“Such social order and discipline are so enforced in ordinary times that I think it’s very easy for Japanese to kind of continue in the manner that they’re accustomed to, even under an emergency.”

The communitarian spirit at the foundation of Japanese culture seems to function even more efficiently under the stress of disaster, he said.

The natural American inclination is to operate independently.

“So you do everything you can to protect your own interests with the understanding that, in a rather free-market way, everybody else is going to do the same. And that order will come out of this sort of invisible hand.

“And Japanese don’t function that way. Order is seen as coming from the group and from the community as a sort of evening out of various individual needs.”

Will this social attitude help Japan recover from this disaster? "In a word, yes."