Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pets: Silly First-World Distraction

Eleven-month-old red Tibetan mastiff Hong Dong ("Big Splash") was bought by an unidentified coal baron for 10 million yuan ($1.5 million) and was handed to his new owner on March 12 in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao. Local media said the dog may be the most expensive in the world

The new status symbol for a rising Chinese economy --- pets.

meh....not really in this case.

example of rich dude buying rare critter...if he did it for a companionship....maybe...

I'm thinking this is a trophy, living/breathing as it is.

Now when the rank and file Chinese are buying rat dogs in sweaters...I'll agree with ya
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Guess I should have linked the story, oops.

In recent years, as China’s middle class has expanded and dogs have become more popular household pets, the appeal of Tibetan mastiffs has grown exponentially — so much so that fairs just for this breed take place several times a week during the three-month show season (the dogs shed during the summer, so the best time for breeders to present them is in the spring.) And as their popularity has grown, so have prices for top breeds — 500 percent a year.
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/382637...s_and_animals/

It does look like a lion. Some videos too, stating pets used to be banned in China (?) I didn't know that.

ah...nevermind then...moving on

There's that bad joke about Chinese becoming a first world nation when they stop eating cats. Is that true or one of those urban myths?

By the way, some cultures consider guinea pigs a delicacy. I read about a restaurant in NYC that serves them roasted whole.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    There's that bad joke about Chinese becoming a first world nation when they stop eating cats. Is that true or one of those urban myths?
    No, there's one province in China where they'll eat almost anything.

Then again, the other provinces look upon that particular province with almost the same distaste as we do.

By the way, some cultures consider guinea pigs a delicacy. I read about a restaurant in NYC that serves them roasted whole.
    Peru.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I'm bad at arguing things I don't really believe.

Though I do personally see pets as mostly a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I'm bad at arguing things I don't really believe.

Though I do personally see pets as mostly a waste.
    While you are entitled to that opinion (and you are not the only one), I think this exercise shows how sometimes government can get a little crazy when some one takes their opinion and then thinks: There outta be a law (or tax in this case)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Do you know what Lewk is referencing?
    I was assuming a tax on the content of fats and such in food, like fast food restaurants. Was he referring to a tax based on personal weight instead?

As has been mentioned numerous times, pets as companion animals for therapeutic reasons is on the rise. In fact, my doctor recently wrote a "prescription" for me to have a companion animal to improve my health! (I don't have to pay the extra deposit if I have the prescription.) The only rule with having an animal here in my apartment building, is to have it spayed/neutered and keep current with shots. As soon as my approval comes thru, I am going to be looking for a kitten. (I had thought I was going to get my cat back from The Thing, but that fell thru. ) Not only is there a link between pets and lower depression rates, there are benefits that aren't always acknowledged. We all firmly believe my Dad lived another 7 years because he "had to" get up and feed the dog and/or cat. It also gave him a great sense of "doing something" to groom the pets during the day.

If you have the good fortune to have a pet that doesn't need extensive vet care, the basic maintenance costs of a pet are reasonably small. I believe The Kid has to pay $75 a year for shots and a city license cost of $5. (Altho the city license is rather silly, since Kazz never goes outside so he isn't apt to get lost.) In Kazz' case, his feed bill is a tad bit high, because Dad spoiled him rotten! But, a cat or dog doesn't need "fancy" food, just a good basic dry food can keep a pet in good health for years.

When my approval comes thru, I will be either adopting from a pound or from a private source here in town that has taken it upon herself to help with the stray population in her neighborhood. She gets them fixed and makes sure they have the first year shots, then adopts them out to people who she is sure will take good care of them. Of course, I have an "in" with her since we used to live just across the alley from her, and my landlord is her daughter!

My doctor thinks when the forever aspect of my ailments become more obvious in my own mind, I could tend toward depression. If having a cat or dog will help stave that off, I'm all for it! Plus, I can't remember ever going this long without having a pet. I haven't had a pet living with me in over a year, and that is a long time for a pet person.

In my humble opinion, the benefits of me having a pet by far outweigh the drawbacks. Sure, I'll have the added expense of feeding and vet bills, but it may be cheaper than treatment for depression. Besides, when someone catches me talking to myself, I can always say I was talking to the cat. I don't really want a dog, since I don't really have the patience to train it properly, and I don't feel it's fair to a dog to not have a place to run. Even a small dog deserves a yard to roam around in, bury it's bones in, and dig it's way to doggie heaven in the cool dirt in the summer.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Eleven-month-old red Tibetan mastiff Hong Dong ("Big Splash") was bought by an unidentified coal baron for 10 million yuan ($1.5 million) and was handed to his new owner on March 12 in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao. Local media said the dog may be the most expensive in the world

The new status symbol for a rising Chinese economy --- pets.
    If he'd bought a $1.5m painting we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    If he'd bought a $1.5m painting we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Thread title isn't "Art: Silly Chinese Distraction". I mentioned it because pet ownership will become more common as people's lives improve in poor countries; dogs won't just be herders or guards, cats won't just be mousers. And neither would be considered "food" after they've become family pets.

Elevating the status of certain animals to house pets isn't a silly first world distraction, but a sign that people are living better than fist-to-mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I was assuming a tax on the content of fats and such in food, like fast food restaurants. Was he referring to a tax based on personal weight instead?
    I'll take that as a no.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.