Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota's Massive Global Recall

I'm pretty sure ACC stands for accessories for a reason Its shutting the engine down, and you lose power steering and the extra braking help. The wheel doesn't lock, but when is the last time you drove without power steering?

tl;dr
    Both feet on the brakes (even if the brake pedal starts kicking back)
    put car in neutral
    do not shut car off untill you are out of traffic and no longer rolling (yes, engine will be screaming by this time)
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-31-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Alright so I tested my car. Going about 40 mph, braked, shifted to neutral. Turned key to ACC but still had steering ability, without the power assist. Turned key all the way off, same thing. Just like driving an old car without power steering, still had braking ability. Took key out of ignition and steering wheel locked up.

Have they said anything about using the emergency brake if this accelerator lock-up happens?

Toyota Plans Media Blitz After Stockholders Lose $21 Billion

By Alan Ohnsman, Yuki Hagiwara and Tetsuya Komatsu

Feb. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.’s head of U.S. sales plans to make U.S. television appearances today, starting with NBC Universal’s “Today” show, as the world’s largest automaker works to resolve its biggest recall crisis.

The company has said it doesn’t plan to call back autos in Japan, where it uses pedals made by Denso Corp.

The carmaker needs to make sure there is no perception of a disparity in quality based on where its vehicles are built, said Takeshi Miyao, a supply-chain analyst for auto consultant Carnorama in Tokyo.

“It’ll be a problem if people start to think that Toyotas made in Japan are good, but the quality of those made overseas is iffy,” he said.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p....hA.dW.4&pos=3

For those that didn't understand my first explanation on how Toyota was going to fix their 2.3 million fucked up cars...

Click to view the full version

A tiny ass piece of steel...

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Appears the news has begun calling this throttlegate. Thats lame.

The class action lawsuits have begun; and the fact that reports show Toyota knew about the problem since 2004 isn't going to help matters. That Toyota is getting sued by its own lawyers for withholding or destroying evidence in other lawsuits during the rollover problems is only going to add to Toyota's problems.

Peugeot and Citroen join Pontiac in the Toyota pedal recall.

GM, Ford, Hyundia and now Chrysler are all offering incentives to ditch Toyota.

Car & Driver also went into why shutting your car off during uncontrolled acceleration is a big no-no.

Shutting the car off not only makes it harder to steer, but also harder to stop. Thats exactly what you need to worry about in an out of control car.

Another fun fact? Toyota's push button shut off has such a long delay, that if you push it when the car hits 60, the car doesn't shut off till you're doing almost 80 mph.
    Panic button pushing in a Toyota does nothing, but in Nissans it kills the engine for you. Nissans also have a shorter "hold button to kill engine" window.
    Ahem. Neutral. Just put it in neutral. No engagement with drive train, no effect of racing engine.

Correct that turning it off will kill power steering/brakes. That is why neutral should be the action.

Since the Pontiac Vibe got caught in Toyota's mess, GM decided to show how well the Vibe's brakes are. Showing that the brakes are strong enough to bring the car to a complete stop, even with the engine going full throttle.
    Granted, at 60 mph it took 4 times the amount of asphalt, but they managed it none the less.

Man, its good not to be Toyota right now....

Official: U.S. had to force Toyota into safety recall
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said today that it had taken "an enormous effort" to get Toyota to recall vehicles in the United States, and said federal regulators were not done with their investigations.

"Since questions were first raised about possible safety defects, we have been pushing Toyota to take measures to protect consumers," LaHood said in a statement. "While Toyota is taking responsible action now, it unfortunately took an enormous effort to get to this point."

"We're not finished with Toyota and are continuing to review possible defects and monitor the implementation of the recalls."

LaHood told the Associated Press in an interview that Toyota was "a little safety deaf." He said last week that the automaker would not have recalled its vehicles had federal safety officials not pushed for it.

Toyota's top U.S. official, Yoshibi Inaba, is set to testify at a congressional hearing Feb. 10. Toyota also faces another hearing from the investigation subcommittee headed by U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Menominee, on Feb. 25.

Toyota has suggested that its recalls of 2.3 million vehicles for accelerator pedals that could stick, along with the shutdown of six factory lines and the sales halt of eight models, was done with an abundance of caution following a few reports in October. But the automaker also told federal officials it had first received complaints about the pedals as early as March 2007, and changed their design twice before the recall.

In addition, the automaker had to be pushed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into its original recall of floor mats that could trap accelerator pedals against the floor. That recall has now expanded to 5.4 million vehicles nationwide, and NHTSA has said it has confirmed the problem is linked to five deaths in two accidents.

Safety advocates claim Toyota's defects are linked to at least 19 deaths.

LaHood said federal safety officials flew to Japan in December "to remind Toyota management about its legal obligations." NHTSA officials were upset that Toyota did not stop selling vehicles immediately when it announced the pedal recall Jan. 21; the automaker has said it was hoping to find a fix for the problem before having to issue a stop-sale order.
    On top of that Woz, a software Guru, claims his Prius has a software related acceration problem, and he can replicate it at will; but Toyota has so far ignored him.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3057333.story

Huzzah,, we have 2 Toyota's to get fixed!

The Toyotathon of death!

House Committee doesn't trust that Toyota is confident that their cheap ass piece of steel will fix the problem:
    WASHINGTON -- A House subcommittee demanded today that Toyota account for several comments made by a U.S. executive Monday, saying his assurances that Toyota had all problems related to sudden acceleration under control did not match what Toyota had told congressional staffer just a week ago.
    What does Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood have to say about the problem?
    "We need to fix the problem so people don't have to worry about disengaging the engine or slamming the brakes on or put it in neutral...If anybody owns [one] of these vehicles, stop driving it and take it to a Toyota dealer."
    If that isn't an "ohh fuck" moment, to bad he later called that a "misstatement".

and now the NHTSA is also considering the problem isn't going to be fixed with a piece of steel. They're looking into possible electronic issues.

Uh oh. Looks like they designed a problem into the 2010 Prius' breaks and hadn't gotten around to telling all the owners yet. Ouch, it rains it pours I guess....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100204/ts_nm/us_toyota

Never thought I'd see a headline like this one...

U.S. begins probe of Prius as Toyota woes mount

WASHINGTON/DETROIT (Reuters) – In the latest blow to Toyota Motor Corp, U.S. safety regulators opened a formal probe on Thursday into problems with the brakes of the Prius, the world's top-selling hybrid and a vehicle that has powered the automaker's reputation for fuel-efficiency.

The Nikkei newspaper reported that Toyota would recall an estimated 270,000 units of its new Prius in the United States and Japan to fix the brake problem.

Toyota spokesman Mike Michels said he could not comment on that report. He said the automaker had no plans to suspend sales of the Prius as it did with eight other models recalled for a faulty accelerator pedal.

"There is no plan for suspension," Michels said.

"No confirmation of a recall for U.S. at this time," he said in an email to Reuters in response to a question about the Nikkei report.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it had no comment on the report and said that any recall would be announced by Toyota.

NHTSA said it has received 124 complaints about momentary braking problems after motorists rolled over bumps or potholes with the third-generation Prius.

Four crashes were alleged by motorists to have been caused by the problems, NHTSA said. The investigation covers the 2010 model year Prius.

"We have heard about NHTSA's intention to begin investigation. Toyota will fully cooperate," Toyota spokeswoman Cindy Knight said.

Toyota changed the software controlling braking in the Prius on models manufactured in Japan from last month, a step it had not announced before Thursday.

Toyota shares dropped another 2 percent in New York on Thursday. The stock has lost 20 percent since it announced a sweeping recall for accelerator problems in late January.

The new probe of the Prius threatens to compound a consumer safety crisis that has hit Toyota's sales, financial results and reputation for quality and prompted the recall of over 8 million vehicles around the world for problems with uncontrolled acceleration.

The 2010 model Prius is a completely redesigned version of the iconic hybrid that Toyota has said is the most important vehicle in its line-up and almost a brand on its own.

Analysts and rivals say the Prius has emerged as a kind of environmental "halo car" for Toyota, an icon of green design with an intense following among loyalists that has lifted the public image of the whole company.

'KISS OF DEATH?'

Dennis Virag, president of Automotive Consulting in Ann Arbor, Michigan, said Toyota's revelation that it had been aware of the Prius problems for months and had worked out a quiet fix on the assembly line without notifying consumers was "shocking."

"It could be a kiss of death," he said.

Toyota sold almost 140,000 Prius hybrids in the United States in 2009. That represented almost half of all hybrid sales in the market.

Like other hybrids, the Prius captures the energy from braking to recharge an on-board battery to boost mileage from its gasoline engine.

Toyota Managing Officer Hiroyuki Yokoyama, who oversees quality, said Toyota had reworked a software program that controls the interaction between the "regenerative" braking and the friction braking systems.

On bumpy roads and on ice, the regenerative brakes appear to slip, allowing the vehicle to lurch forward before the traditional brakes engage, Prius owners have said.

"This issue shows that we may have fallen short of the standards expected of us by our customers," Yokoyama said.

Late on Wednesday, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood spoke with Toyota President Akio Toyoda, who reassured him that Toyota takes "U.S. safety concerns seriously," a Transportation Department statement said.

Toyota expects costs and lost sales from its massive safety recall to total $2 billion by the end of March. The automaker's U.S. sales tumbled 16 percent in January and are expected to fall further in February. (Additional reporting by Ran Kim in Tokyo, Soyoung Kim and David Bailey in Detroit, writing by Kevin Krolicki, editing by Matthew Lewis)
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

When's the last time anybody saw a Toyota commercial?

Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I work colleague of mine just sold his Toyota for a Skoda. Timed, to perfection on his part. Furthermore, Toyota brakes have never been fantastic at the best of times.

Poor Toyota!

I just heard a story on NPR and some Japanese are suggesting the US government is trumping up these quality issues, or exagerating them, because the government owns GM. I seriously doubt that.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    I just heard a story on NPR and some Japanese are suggesting the US government is trumping up these quality issues, or exagerating them, because the government owns GM. I seriously doubt that.
    The US Government is not trumping up anything...there are brake issues...what the Japanese may be suggesting is that the US Government may be going overboard in their reactions due to the conflict of interest of owning GM.

That's more or less what I meant with that word "exaggerating."
    The Rules

I'm sure. But I don't think the Japanese are saying the US Gov is exaggerating the quality issues. I think they are saying that the Fed are exaggerating in their response (committees, investigations etc.) ti the brake issue.

A very fine hair I admit...

Yeah, you're going to need something sharper than a razor to split that one.
    The Rules

Yeah, you're going to need something sharper than a razor to split that one.
    Well, the assumed motives are different.

If the Japanese are complaining that the US Fed is exaggerating the issue with the brakes, because the US owns GM, that's ludicrous as there ARE brake issues.

If the Japanese are complaining the the US Fed response to the brake issue is exaggerated because the US owns GM, that is not so ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Well, the assumed motives are different.

If the Japanese are complaining that the US Fed is exaggerating the issue with the brakes, because the US owns GM, that's ludicrous as there ARE brake issues.

If the Japanese are complaining the the US Fed response to the brake issue is exaggerated because the US owns GM, that is not so ludicrous.
    And so he proceeds to split it. OCD?
    The Rules

And so he proceeds to split it. OCD?
    No, I was answering an implied challenge

But honestly, you do see the difference don't you?

Yes, I see, but assuming the same motivation, in practice it doesn't matter that much.
    The Rules

Whose motivation though?

I just want to make sure what the Japanese are accusing the US Fed of doing.

If the former, they (the Japanese) can go pound sand.

If the latter, then they (the Japanese) have a point. (Not necessarily a good one)

Also, in the field I work in, you do have to be precise in what you are saying or things go to Hell pretty quick!
    Last edited by Veldan Rath; 02-05-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add an opinion...:)

I think Toyota's slow as shit response, resistance to a pedal recall, and conflicting quotes on the problem (and fix), more than justify the US's response.

Besides didn't the President of Toyota just call this whole thing a crisis? Thats right up there with "don't drive your Toyota till its fixed", IMO.

Whose motivation though?

I just want to make sure what the Japanese are accusing the US Fed of doing.

If the former, they (the Japanese) can go pound sand.

If the latter, then they (the Japanese) have a point.

Also, in the field I work in, you do have to be precise in what you are saying or things go to Hell pretty quick!
    In former or latter I don't believe the US is doing it. IMHO they can go pound sand either way.
    The Rules

I agree, but we are not the ones that would have to deal with the ramifications of such an accusation of the latter.

And, if the latter WAS true, what would your reaction be?

LOL

Priceless!

Why do people love Consumer Reports so much.... weren't they the ones that killed the issuze Rodeo by going out of their way to make it flip?

Ah... found it (thanks wikipedia).

In a lawsuit brought by Isuzu against Consumers Union, the court found that some of the magazine's statements showed a "reckless disregard" for the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's not okay to shoot an innocent bank clerk but shooting a felon to death is commendable and do you should receive a reward rather than a punishment

I agree, but we are not the ones that would have to deal with the ramifications of such an accusation of the latter.

And, if the latter WAS true, what would your reaction be?
    I'd be disappointed. One more thing to be jaded about.
    The Rules

Fair enough!