Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atard Update

Default Atard Update

Someone sent word that the Atards are deleting ataricommunity.com. More (limited) info on the nincompoopery is here:

http://forums.atari.com/showthread.php?t=11193

Nothing actually said there, but if there's a thread you really want to print out or copy-paste, now's your chance: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...play.php?f=188

I just want the White Gurls thread, can't seem to find it.

There goes my Aug 2004 join date. It's not as old as some of yours, but dammit, I was 13.

White Girls,are More Respected Than Black Girls
    EVERYWHERE I GO,BLACK GIRLS GOT ON BEEF,THAN ANY ONE
    AND THE WAY THERE DRESS,THEY CAN NERVE GET THAT RESPECT
    AM NOT HATEING,BUT AM SICK OF IF.I SEE THEY --MEN BEAT
    THEM FOR GOING OUT.BLACK PEOPLE ARE THUMDS DOWN.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...d.php?t=342752
    Your search had no results.

YES. THANK YOU!

Too bad there's no way to get it as one page, but saved for posterity.

We need to steal their database.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

God, I haven't thought about that place for like a year.
    Congratulations America

Wonder how big ataricomunity is, couldn't we just download everything, rehost as a closed mirror?
    Screw it, I'm downloading ataricommunity.com right now using WinHTTrack, just for the hell of it.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

You're an odd one, OG.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I was curious, so mow I want to see. 15 minutes in with 140mb of data and 2000 links. Wonder how the back end stuff like searching and what not will work....
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Not going to miss anything there, its too late now.

Seeing that shows how dead Atari is now though. Our site is about as active as all theirs, with RCT being the only active community. RCT3 was released in 2004. No big hit from the last 7 years then?

Well if it makes you happy...

edit: Also, my initial reaction was "meh, who cares"
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I wonder how many admins Atari went through between when we left and now. There's probably no institutional memory as to why the forums look like they do now.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Yup -- I heard they went through at least one new set of admins. But the place is indeed totally dead and I'm sure no one there knows why (especially if Timothy and Biogal are the only mods remaining).

Ominous, format-wise how does the database download and get accessed? Sadly, some of the best stuff left is probably in the mod forum there.

its downloading without login information, so yeah, no mod section.

EDIT:
    Username and password options have been added to winhttrack, but I didn't bother looking for them at the time since it would have produced the same result for me.

Still seems you would need a login. Some really hilarious WPH stuff I wouldn't mind seeing again, but honestly I think we're better off. We can curse all we want now.

Motion to steal the www.ataricommunity.com domain? Y/N/F?

y

(this is not a contract)
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Sadly, some of the best stuff left is probably in the mod forum there.
    http://www.qfo.nl/ataricc/

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

The answer to life's most important question.

Whoa, how did you get that Psilon? Are the other pages there?

I vote yes too.

left the computer on last night and it was still working this morning. 2 gigs of information so far and 70 thousand some odd links. It was hitting a lot of png images while I was getting ready for work. I assume from the Tycoon threads.

The pngs were the bane of many users... In addition to shutting down the old forums, apparently the new ones removed the [img] tags from the boards, completely eviscerating the RCT community. Apparently [shot] still works for now, but most consider that to be a result of incompetence. I know you aren't the only one using that tool though Ominous, though I think at least three RCT users have attempted to download the RCT section.

Psilon, that is pure awesomeness that only serves to make me respect Dread even more.

Y, btw.

This may offend the RCTers, but are all of those RCT threads with images really worth downloading? Same with DBZ, candidly.

But seriously Psilon, how the heck did you get that? It's also interesting because it contains my description of how AmericanWoman tried to destroy the forums.

Sadly I probably look less awesome on the second and third pages. Baker really came down on me (and Rand) hard. Eventually we had to ban Cain over the whole stupid affair. I later got a pretty good idea that the person who "reported" me was actually Timothy. He also told DBZers that I said racist things in the mod forum.

I think revisiting favorite parks and tracks from yesteryear would be a fun thing to do sometime down the road. Why talk about the glory days when you can go to them?

This may offend the RCTers, but are all of those RCT threads with images really worth downloading? Same with DBZ, candidly.
    This is another case of you just not getting it, and lets leave it at that.
    The beta forums were by far the best part of the forums for me, and we were posting in there up until the end but considering the way they were hidden (no direct links exist to them for regular posters), I can't get any of the website download programs to save them without viewing each and every page on my own

There's nothing to "get". I wasn't part of that community, so I don't put much value behind those posts. That's why I realize I'm probably offending some people.

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    So many good times on those forums.
    Even aside from RCT, the lulzy epics of the CC are fond memories for me.
    I enjoy blank walls.

There's nothing to "get". I wasn't part of that community, so I don't put much value behind those posts. That's why I realize I'm probably offending some people.
    I'm not sure why anyone would be offended. Those who care are working on those threads. I'm certain noone is working to save the DBZers, but saying so is certainly not offensive at all.

I laugh at Baker's comment that the 2006 Atari forums were a place for kids games. Weren't most of the games then rated T+ with Unreal Tournament 2k4 shouldering a solid M? So what are Biogal and Tim going to moderate when there is no one left?
    . . .

This was a real source of tension; how can a company that makes games for different age groups host a forum for all those age groups? Atari could never decide. This was a useful indecision towards keeping the place reasonably open, but eventually things ceased to become very rational.

Still seems you would need a login. Some really hilarious WPH stuff I wouldn't mind seeing again, but honestly I think we're better off. We can curse all we want now.
    Forget the WePlayHere fiasco. That was just Baker's ego baby. Let it die.