Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atard Update

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Motion to steal the www.ataricommunity.com domain? Y/N/F?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Forget the WePlayHere fiasco. That was just Baker's ego baby. Let it die.
    That one game Bitter and I played over there, Dinky Bomb or whatever, was actually a bit fun though.

You won't get Dinky Bomb by stealing a domain name, though. And who the hell wants to re-read Baker's strange authoritarian admin rants? That guy was bonkers.

I retrieved that page from the google cache. A couple of years ago there was a security problem with the development version of the forum which allowed anyone to access the moderator forum. Googlebot happened to visit the dev forum at that time, hence all of it was spidered and available in the cache.

I wouldn't have known about it if GGT didn't post something cryptic about it in the ACC forum support thread (this post). The post was quickly censored by Rand but not before I figured out what it meant

I don't think I've got more pages. I did save a bunch of them but I'm not sure if I still have them on my harddrive. It was nice to be able to browse the moderator forum, though
    Last edited by Psilon; 04-12-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

The answer to life's most important question.

Huh...I don't remember that at all. Though I was certainly around then.

GGT- I want to see the posts because he was bonkers. That's the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Echovirus View Post
    That one game Bitter and I played over there, Dinky Bomb or whatever, was actually a bit fun though.
    Voodoo was better

Also, I do not care at all about reading back old posts on a dead forum, or stealing a domain or whatever. ACC is dead for all I care. When I left I wanted to have my account removed, and all posts, but I couldn't getit
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

For the record, while I think baker was bonkers, I think Flixy was fabu.

There is only one thread I want saved and that's the Pub Thread in the Unreal 2 area. Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilon View Post
    I retrieved that page from the google cache. A couple of years ago there was a security problem with the development version of the forum which allowed anyone to access the moderator forum. Googlebot happened to visit the dev forum at that time, hence all of it was spidered and available in the cache.

I wouldn't have known about it if GGT didn't post something cryptic about it in the ACC forum support thread (this post). The post was quickly censored by Rand but not before I figured out what it meant
    LOL, I'd forgotten about that. Its weird seeing my name and thinking what!?

From memory there was a more text-only version of the forums, useful for printing threads. IIRC that for some reason lacked the security of the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This was a real source of tension; how can a company that makes games for different age groups host a forum for all those age groups? Atari could never decide.
    Have subforum visibility be dependent on the birth date people entered when joining and if anybody admitted to being less than 13, since I highly doubt anyone under that age had a parent send in a written permission form that Atari kept on file, permaban them for violating the registration agreement, then stop acting like we have young children on the boards when what we really have are teenagers and adults?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Voodoo was better

Also, I do not care at all about reading back old posts on a dead forum, or stealing a domain or whatever. ACC is dead for all I care. When I left I wanted to have my account removed, and all posts, but I couldn't getit
    I always enjoyed the occasional walk through old discussions. I'd do occasional searches on ACC for particular topics and read through those threads again. We don't have so large a footprint here yet *not enough time* so a similar survey here can pretty much encompass all threads, not just those related to one topic.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Have subforum visibility be dependent on the birth date people entered when joining and if anybody admitted to being less than 13, since I highly doubt anyone under that age had a parent send in a written permission form that Atari kept on file, permaban them for violating the registration agreement, then stop acting like we have young children on the boards when what we really have are teenagers and adults?
    Yeah, but you're forgetting that this is Atari. If that was even possible with old versions of vBulletin, we almost never had admins who would have known how to do that.

Plus there were always people like AmericanWoman and Timothy trying to go around us and insist that the forum effectively 13-and-under. BattleApple/BetaTestAdmin was really a stellar force of reason in those fights.

But seriously Psilon, how the heck did you get that? It's also interesting because it contains my description of how AmericanWoman tried to destroy the forums.

Sadly I probably look less awesome on the second and third pages. Baker really came down on me (and Rand) hard. Eventually we had to ban Cain over the whole stupid affair. I later got a pretty good idea that the person who "reported" me was actually Timothy. He also told DBZers that I said racist things in the mod forum.
    As much crap as I give you these days, you and Randy both really took more than one for the team dealing with those fucking lunatics.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Plus there were always people like AmericanWoman and Timothy trying to go around us and insist that the forum effectively 13-and-under.
    Why didn't you permaban them then? And when they complained, draft a nice reply asking them why they were insisting that Atari doesn't follow proper COPPA restrictions...

Not disparaging your moderating there, was just wondering generally...
    . . .

He means as far as enforcing content, moderating at a 13 year old level.

Example:
    Frivilous report: Person X in the CC called me a dick!

Dread and Rand: Nothing to do...besides, they were being a dick.
    Tim: They should be infracted!
    Dread and Rand: Uh, no...it's trivial and they can sort it like adults.
    Tim: We have young members who might see that, think of the children!
    Dread and Rand: The CC is an adult crowd, and we moderate them as such.
    Tim: Public forum, think of Atari's image!
    Dread and Rand: Fuck off back to DBZ and mind your own fence.

And so on and so forth ad nauseum.

He wanted all forums moderated the same, which was ridiculous.
    The stricter hand required for RCT and DBZ would have been totally out of place in the Main CC.
    (and vice-versa)

Something Tim never understood, and Atari certainly didn't either, as the results of doing so are clear.

What happened to that twat after he was shouted off this forum? If he got into prison by now I would be the last one to be surprised.
    Congratulations America

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    What happened to that twat after he was shouted off this forum? If he got into prison by now I would be the last one to be surprised.
    Timmeh was here?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

I think he means Cane.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Why didn't you permaban them then? And when they complained, draft a nice reply asking them why they were insisting that Atari doesn't follow proper COPPA restrictions...

Not disparaging your moderating there, was just wondering generally...
    Crowheart has it right. The issue wasn't sub-13 year olds. The issue was being pressured to moderate all of the forums at the level of what Atari and people like Timothy thought was appropriate for 13 year olds. Compounding the problem was the idea that almost every imaginable thread topic was somehow inappropriate for a 13 year old.

Timmy was a self-hating fag who seemed to vent his sexual frustrations via childish media, and he seemed to view children as something to be 'guided' and 'mentored' in creepy religious ways. It's no wonder his ideas of what was okay for 15-year-olds to see were a wee bit warped.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Crowheart has it right. The issue wasn't sub-13 year olds. The issue was being pressured to moderate all of the forums at the level of what Atari and people like Timothy thought was appropriate for 13 year olds. Compounding the problem was the idea that almost every imaginable thread topic was somehow inappropriate for a 13 year old.
    Timmy moderated a forum for a show where people are regularly dismembered and killed, sometimes in horribly violent ways, that focuses on people fighting. This should have been the go to line anytime he raised the "Appropriate for 13 year olds" line.

This is what horribly perplexed me. The forum and games Timmy moderated for (DBZ), and the game that ultimately lead to us leaving (Star Trek MMO) both deal with material that would be appropriate for the same ages as the stuff we were discussing. What it came down to looking like for me was "How dare you discuss sex, violence, politics and religion on a forum for a game we sell based on a show that depicts sex, violence, politics and religion."

In other words it was the epitome of hypocritical idiocy...
    . . .

But then you're actually thinking logically.

I think the fall in common-sense really started when RCT and DBZ surplanted UT as the main game, especially when UT vanished. When UT was the main source of members, the admins knew that this was a forum of mostly adult gamers playing a collection of mature games. When that was gone, everything was dumbed down to the kiddy levels by a couple of control-freaks.

We did use that argument occasionally, but the truth is there was just a common-sense gap that was extremely difficult to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    There is only one thread I want saved and that's the Pub Thread in the Unreal 2 area. Those were the days.
    I know eh! It was going for how long..7 years

Btw so what's happening with the old atari site/forums? Are they really going to be deleted? That actually sucks. I like going back there and reading through the years of posts I had made..it's like a personal blog in a way, seeing how you've changed over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Timmeh was here?
    Briefly. One of our earliest threads, IIRC in this subforum. He was not well received.

Why did you tell them OG? I hope you were done by then...

But the insanity gets worse. They banned the IMG tag: http://forums.atari.com/showthread.php?t=11223

Should we just open up an RCT subforum here, say there will never be rules and see what happens?

winhttrack was actually on its 3rd day before I gave up. it wasn't able to save what I wanted most anyway, and the other communities over there already backed up their important subforums.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

But the insanity gets worse. They banned the IMG tag: http://forums.atari.com/showthread.php?t=11223

Should we just open up an RCT subforum here, say there will never be rules and see what happens?
    The largest majority of RCTers don't know this place exists I think. Its me, Crow, and cat who really end frequenting both communities as far as I can tell. TWF is forgotten by them. Besides, one of the most popular members opened up his own place years ago; its become pretty much the main center for the rest of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    winhttrack was actually on its 3rd day before I gave up. it wasn't able to save what I wanted most anyway, and the other communities over there already backed up their important subforums.
    Which parts did you get?

I'm still stunned that they banned the image tag...

Our attempt with the WoT people didn't turn out so well (for either side), so