Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

I guess we'll have to see how the fight plays out on screen. I was looking forward to the Strong Belwas duel as well, but I guess that's not happening.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm looking forward to the fight involving the Mountain, though it seems they cast an actor who's not particularly tall to play him this season (he'll be the third Mountain actor thus far).
    Yeah that fight will be epic... I hope they do it justice.

http://imgur.com/a/wuLsm this is awesome
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Season 4 Episode 2 spoilers:

Prerequisite leading text for the people who use the feed. I'll need to fix that someday...
    Wow, you really need a lot of this.

Spoiler:

but then

Spoiler:
    I was expecting this to happen in episode 4-5, not this early in the season. I guess they're going to borrow much more heavily from the last two books than I thought.

The dwarf duel was supposed to be fought on pigs. Couldn't get the pigs to cooperate?

Very strong episode, and indeed, I expected this to happen later.
    Congratulations America

Spoiler:
    Kind of disappointed with the duel. It lasted under 3 minutes. The ending was classic, but the directors could have provided extra material in getting to it.

Spoiler:
    Kind of disappointed with the duel. It lasted under 3 minutes. The ending was classic, but the directors could have provided extra material in getting to it.
    I disagree - quality > quantity.

I had to pause it during Arya Stark's scene though, laughing too hard. The hounds deadpan face and then Arya... LMAO!

There wasn't really enough time to build momentum though.

Spoiler:
    Unless they skip a massive storyline from the next two books, I'm interested to see how Arya ends up not reuniting with Sansa.

Spoiler:
    Eh, I liked it. The series is really departing more and more from the books now though, I think.

Spoiler:
    I mean, both girls now known to be alive? IIRC in the books, they're both still hiding in secret, now we have one known to the Lords of the Vale, and one known to soldiers in the Vale who would presumably inform those very lords about someone that important showing up. Agree with Loki, curious to see how they end up not meeting, but I'm kinda afraid it will disappoint.

Then there's the whole crasters keep scene, Jon knowing his brother is alive.. On the other hand, Missandei's age-upping had a clear advantage in this episode
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Ugh, I hate it when television producers do that. The assholes did the same thing to Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series with "The Seeker". Bleh, made it unwatchable for me.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Ugh, I hate it when television producers do that. The assholes did the same thing to Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series with "The Seeker". Bleh, made it unwatchable for me.
    To be fair, most changes so far are minor and understandable (i.e. combining characters to condense the huge amount of them, showing actions that occur offscreen in the books) or understandable for plot reasons (i.e. some plots have 'boring' parts that don't work on the screen, you can't read minds on tv so more has to be actually discussed instead of thought (the recent visit to Braavos, for example), but some are surprising and might affect things yet to come in the last few books.

Spoiler:
    If the Vale knows Arya is alive and not the girl with the Boltons, that certainly changes thing, as does knowing Sansa is there. Jon knowing his brothers aren't dead might affect things too. And the whole Jeyne Westerling/Talisa thing seemed unnecessary to me to begin with, and reading the books I could even expect Jeyne to have a future role (plus the descriptions don't match, so who knows if that's even the real Jeyne?). We'll just have to wait and see how that goes, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Spoiler:
    Then there's the whole crasters keep scene, Jon knowing his brother is alive.. On the other hand, Missandei's age-upping had a clear advantage in this episode
    Spoiler:
    Jon doesn't know his brothers are alive. We haven't even seen Ricon in half a season, and Jon and Bran, while in the same place, never saw each other. Remember Bran made the decision not to yell out to his brother since they have to continue further North, and Jon would just bring them back to Castle Black?

As for Arya and The Hound, I think a relatively easy explanation is that the soldiers don't know what Arya looks like, so right now The Hound is at the Bloody Gate, with someone whom he claims is Arya Stark, and there is maybe one person alive inside the Eyrie who may still remember what she looks like. I find it entirely likely they are going to turn around and leave once they find out Littlefinger is there and semi-Lord of the Veil.

As for the fight between Oberyn and The Mountain, I think if there was more buildup you'd just have more upset viewers, that they spent all this time building it up just so that you can see your new favorite character get his head smashed in.
    Last edited by Illusions; 06-02-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    . . .

You might want to fix the spoiler tag in the quote

Spoiler:
    Did I just misremember Sam telling Jon his brother is alive and beyond the Wall? I'm pretty sure he did, in the tv series. BTW, while I thought the craster's keep thing wasn't that great, I understand they wanted to spice up Bran's story, which in the books is fairly boring and wouldn't translate well to tv.

Regarding Arya, you're likely right, still, I don't really see why she should announce herself and not act as in the books. And in the books, Brienne sure didn't know Arya was alive (IIRC here were some hints, but that's it). Plus in the books she doesn't even know what Sansa looks like, because they only arrived in King's Landing after the death of Joffrey, but that's a minor change if you ask me.

Didn't Steel propose a rule one about labeling show spoilers vs. book spoilers? I don't know which of these are safe to open, and I'm afraid to read Illusion's post at all!

Show Spoiler: S04E08:
    Saw the end coming, though. Too much dancing and showing off, I knew this universe wouldn't allow that to go unpunished. But fuck everyone on this show if Tyrion doesn't survive somehow anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Didn't Steel propose a rule one about labeling show spoilers vs. book spoilers? I don't know which of these are safe to open, and I'm afraid to read Illusion's post at all!
    Its a show spoiler. I haven't gotten to read the books yet, so my only experience is via the shows.
    . . .

Book spoiler in link below. Here's how the fight should have played out:

http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2...12-page-comic/

That was the one fight I was hoping they would go all out on. The reason why I defended not using a ginormous actor for the mountain is because I was hoping it would make it easier for them to make this fight that much more epic.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I've finally given up on the series. I enjoyed the books, will read the rest if they ever appear, but the show just isn't holding my interest.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I think the acting is pretty good. A vast majority of the characters are portrayed excellently. The problem is that the directors/producers just aren't very creative. They change things that make a marginal difference and don't change things that they really should change (i.e. like having better fighting/war scenes than we get in the book).

I think the acting is pretty good. A vast majority of the characters are portrayed excellently. The problem is that the directors/producers just aren't very creative. They change things that make a marginal difference and don't change things that they really should change (i.e. like having better fighting/war scenes than we get in the book).
    They do have the time and budgetary constraints of a TV show.

Given the show's ratings, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a well-crafted battle scene in each season.

I still love this series, but was kind of surprised with the Sansa/Arya story-line.
    Congratulations America

Which aspect of it?

Given the show's ratings, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a well-crafted battle scene in each season.
    Err, two things: 1) high ratings don't magically make money appear, filming is still very expensive, and more importantly, 2) I'm 99% sure a big battle scene is coming still in this season because
    Show Spoiler s04e08:
    The Wildlings are approaching the Wall after all, and the Night's Watch think they must be close as of the last episode since Mole's town got attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Show Spoiler s04e08:
    The Wildlings are approaching the Wall after all, and the Night's Watch think they must be close as of the last episode since Mole's town got attacked.
    Show Spoiler s04e08:
    Those aren't the wildling army that's approaching, that was just the raiding party that's passed right by Castle Black - was it end of last season or beginning of this? Anyways, those guys probably have no intention of fighting with the crows.

Side note: this is the first time I remember seeing anyone other than me using the title feature of spoilers since Ziggy made me add it three years ago.

Spoiler:
    As Wraith says, the Wall is getting attacked by perhaps 50 wildlings. Given the show's history, I bet the fighting lasts 5 minutes.

Given what happens to the main wildling army, I doubt that scene is a particularly long one either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Show Spoiler s04e08:
    Those aren't the wildling army that's approaching, that was just the raiding party that's passed right by Castle Black - was it end of last season or beginning of this? Anyways, those guys probably have no intention of fighting with the crows.

Side note: this is the first time I remember seeing anyone other than me using the title feature of spoilers since Ziggy made me add it three years ago.
    Spoiler:
    As Wraith says, the Wall is getting attacked by perhaps 50 wildlings. Given the show's history, I bet the fighting lasts 5 minutes.

Given what happens to the main wildling army, I doubt that scene is a particularly long one either.
    Show spoiler:
    The raiding party is approaching, which the night's watch comment must mean Mance's army is approaching from the North and isn't far (they'd want to attack castle black more or less at the same time, slightly earlier I suppose). Which is an army of 100.000, of which about 20.000 proper fighters (though lacking discipline). Add to that the title of the upcoming episode, the history of 9th episodes being 'big' (beheading, battle of the blackwater, red wedding), I think we're up for a major battle at the wall. Or what do you mean, given what happens to the main wildling army? See also my book spoiler, if you mean given what happens to them in the books.

Well, Wraith, you complained about the spoilers being mixed up and gave the right example, so I copied it

Book spoiler:
    Plus in the books the battle at Castle Black lasts several days, includes giants, mammoths, etc., and like the battle of the Blackwater ends wit ha surprise relief, I could see this become equal to the Blackwater episode. Except with giants and mammoths! Granted, no sorties like Tyrion's, but there's battle in castle black, followed by a siege with fighting under the wall, and then Stannis' forces wedging through while Jon is in their camp. It could be spectacular.

I thought a lot of the fighting scenes would be spectacular, and none of them have been yet.