Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Default Game of Thrones

Well, it's good to see a good story brought to the screen in a good way first ep felt a little rushed. Lots of boobies, just like in the books, but the world felt flat and kinda boring tbh. Felt like traditional medieval fantasy rather than the grim and disgusting medieval fantasy of Martin.

Great casting, but so far very unimpressive dialogue. Robert looks as he should, although he's a little too much Santa Clause and makes a few too many bad jokes. Sean Bean is Sean Bean, I suppose he can forget about ever playing any other role. Cersei looks worried all the time, but I reckon Lena Headey was the right choice there. Jaime is just what you'd expect. I hate to say it, but Joffrey, despite not having had a single line, is just as slimy and disgusting as I imagined. Sansa promises to be just as irritating as in the books. Arya and Bran seem very well cast, have high hopes for those two. Best of the lot are Daenerys and Viserys. Drogo shows promise, but he didn't get much love from the writers in this episode alas.

All in all, probably worth seeing this through to the end anyone else catch it?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I need to set these on series record, the trailers looked pretty good.

Aimless are you in America? I think they show in the UK 1 day after America.
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

I recorded it, haven't watched yet.

Never read the books (and really don't know that I'd even want to), but the previews looked pretty shiny. Just not sure if it's something I'll really enjoy.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

I'll watch it eventually. Everything I've heard about it says it's good.

Never read the books either. I own them, I just haven't ever had time, and I'm usually not big into fantasy. Surface Detail has been the next book on my to-read list all year, still haven't started.

Another series that I'll have to wait and see if I continue watching it. Pretty much what Minx said. Also a few things such as modern clothing designs, or modern made clothing (for instance a machine stitched leather jacket) and Antebellum style architecture in a medieval setting kind of pull me out of the show. Did like the opening credits though.
    . . .

I recommend the books. Think of it as a representation of the War of the Roses in a vein similar to Clavell's rendition of Japan in his novel Shogun. Add in a very sparse amount of magic.
    "We are a way for the universe to know itself." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Game of Thrones was amazing!

Slightly disappointed at the crazy fast pace. Apparently there are only 10 episodes to cover all of book 1. A lot of things are going to end up on the cutting room floor.

But once again. AMAZING

I liked the pilot, the cuts didn't seem to be on the northern shores though where they pretty much covered the book blow by blow. Daenerys got a bit fast through her story there, at least I don't remember her story starting with a meeting with Drogo. I don't exactly understand how people can complain about anachronisms in fantasy. Isn't the whole thing that you can't exactly place where or when something is transpiring one of the core elements of fantasy? And what the hell is 'antebellum architecture'?

Jaime nor Cersei were quite handsome enough, Tyrion was as expected. I never had much of an image for the Starks beyond Arya, the actress playing her fit the bill for me.

As for the books; after my WOT experience (which seems to be repeating itself with this series) I advise everybody not to read them untill Martin has actually finished writing them. At the rate things are going now I'll be dead before his successor can finish the series. A feast for crows was published in 2005, and now finally this june we'll see Dance with dragons. That's a full 6 years between books where the series is supposed to have two more books and the author being 62 already.
    Congratulations America

Wow, I just read that the series has been renewed for a second season already.
    Congratulations America

screw these novels read th malazan series from beginning to end instead
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I don't exactly understand how people can complain about anachronisms in fantasy. Isn't the whole thing that you can't exactly place where or when something is transpiring one of the core elements of fantasy? And what the hell is 'antebellum architecture'?
    Well for certain items it looks weird if there is no technology present in the story that could make them, like a machine stitched leather jacket. Also antebellum architecture, just google it
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    screw these novels read th malazan series from beginning to end instead
    Now there is an author who is a machine. 10 900+ page books in 14 years or so? Very consistent writing too. Can you imagine a Book of the Fallen sit com? Bugg, Tehol, Hedge and Ublala making you laugh ever weeknight for 30 minutes... heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Well for certain items it looks weird if there is no technology present in the story that could make them, like a machine stitched leather jacket. Also antebellum architecture, just google it
    First off İ see no reason to assume that nobody could make a leather jacket without a machine that doesn't look like it is about to fall apart. Also we have no idea about what technology these people have. They built a wall the size of a minor kingdom, İ would rather direct my questions towards how they did that than how they manage to sew their leather so neatly.

Antebellum architecture, not onlu does it really mean anything to anybody outside the US, it also wasn't present in the pilot. And if it had been it would still have been appropriate in a world where that other continent is supposed to be so different from Westeros.
    Congratulations America

Just saw it. It was decent, and I'll keep watching, but nothing really gripping yet. I think I was wrong before and I must have read the book at some point; I kept remembering story details before they happened. Even a couple lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Are you the guy that asks Shatner at the convention what the combination is to his safe on the Enterprise?
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Either that or it was just really predictable.

Still haven't watched it.

Screw Martin, I wish I could get some good TV/Movies from Jim Butcher's 2 series: Dresdin Files and Codex Alera

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    Screw Martin, I wish I could get some good TV/Movies from Jim Butcher's 2 series: Dresdin Files and Codex Alera
    The Dresden Files had a whole series on sci-fi for a while. It was popular with women, but didn't get much of a male demographic, so it was canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The Dresden Files had a whole series on sci-fi for a while. It was popular with women, but didn't get much of a male demographic, so it was canceled.
    Its funny. I've read the Dresden Files and they are great. I watched it on Sci-Fi and it was terrible. My friend watched it on Sci-Fi and loved it so I let him borrow the books and he didn't like them. It seems you can like one but not the other.

Codex Alera would be great. If Game of Thrones succeeds that will open the door for a lot more fantasy novels hitting TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It didn't even make it one season I thought...and a hockey stick as his blasting rod???? It's cool, but not cannon (pun intended)

Watched the second episode tonight, still liked it. What is really blowing my mind is that I watched it together with Ronald, who I thought had some genetic adversity towards fantasy and that he commented when the titles rolled that 'the story seems rather well put together' and that he liked it.
    Congratulations America

Liked the second episode too, very gripping and a good portrayal of the story. Both episodes have left me wanting more.

What I find interesting is how close they have kept to the books. A few minor changes here and there (Hair in the bedroom!?) but for the most part VERY close to the story. There are a ton of quotes that are taken verbatim from the books.

Down in Florida, 23-year-old Michael Podniestrzanski was arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery after throwing his cousin into a window. Why? Because of a "verbal altercation" over the new HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones.

So what could Podniestrzanski and his cousin, Joshua Ross, have been arguing about? Was it over how faithful or unfaithful the HBO adaptation of the George R.R. Martin novel was? Could it have been about the choice to shoot parts of the series in Malta? Or the decision to use Northern Inuits instead of real wolves to play the direwolves? No, these two numbskulls reportedly threw down over "who will win?" As in…which character will win the game...of thrones.

Podniestrzanski allegedly "took a swing at" at Ross. After scuffling for a bit, Podniestrzanski's cousin "ended up getting thrown in to the front window during the altercation."

Never have I meant "That is all" more than I mean it now.
    I can't believe they skipped a chance to describe this as attempted defenestration!

Still like it a lot
    Congratulations America

Another episode on tonight. I'm excited about it. Based on the previews it looks like it will be about the Hand's tournament. Curious to see the Mountain, Jaime, Hound and Loras out on the jousting field.

Just watched the latest epsiode. The series is turning out to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next one, and thinking about reading the book and possibly having more than just vague, barely remembered memories of it.

Also watched the latest episode, which was still good, though at a significantly lower pace than the previous episodes.
    Congratulations America

Boo on the shorter tournament.

Liked the second episode too, very gripping and a good portrayal of the story. Both episodes have left me wanting more.
    I've watched the first four, guessing you have too by now. and I've liked them.. really like Bran, and arya, like minx did. I don't always fancy the look of Jon Snow, the mustache, but the character is alright, he transition in attitude quickly it seems, but like Lewk pointed out, it's a fast paced show.

I like the portrayal overall, makes me want to re-read the books. I really like the scene of Bran seeing the kings arrival in episode one, and the classic quotes of the series being used so well, "the things i do for love"

RB I thought you weren't going to read the books until they were completed?

and lewk seems you have a good taste in fantasy, though the series listed are hard not to like : ).