Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    That would make Jon a potential king? His bastard status being to keep him safe? But what about the burns then? It would explain though why he was not allowed to attend at the banquet.
    Yes Jon "could" be king. But really who all in Westeros really cares at this point? It also maybe setting up some more incenst between Jon and Dany.

Bastard status to keep him safe. I believe that was the 'promise' that Ned made to Lyana.

As we saw with Viserys not all of the line is immune to fire. In fact one of the crazy kings in the past burned to death I believe.

In the books he did attend the banquet but was seated at the lower tables.

They did that well. The whole series has been good, just 1 to go.

I felt a bit cheated out of an awesome battle scene, but I suppose that's just the realities of a tv show budget. Still awesome. One more episode isn't enough!

I gotta admit, I've been extremely disappointed in most of the action so far. They really need a good fight-coordinator and possibly also good fighters.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I gotta admit, I've been extremely disappointed in most of the action so far.
    I watched a man beat the shit out of the King's knights using a wooden training sword. What more do you want?
    . . .

I've been happy with all the choreography of the fights we've seen. Did you want wire-fu? 'cuz that wouldn't really fit this series.

I liked Syrio, but that's almost the only thing I've liked so far, apart from Drogo slicing up that guy recently. They all seem so clumsy and slow, and have short boring fights. It's like they've bought into the idea of knights etc. being clumsy brutes laden down with useless metal.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Well, the budget is $10m or so for 10 episodes? It should surprise nobody they couldn't really afford thousands or extra's + horses. I think they are doing a decent enough job though, maybe they should cut the large angles when showing big army camps that very obviously are not all that big.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I liked Syrio, but that's almost the only thing I've liked so far, apart from Drogo slicing up that guy recently. They all seem so clumsy and slow, and have short boring fights. It's like they've bought into the idea of knights etc. being clumsy brutes laden down with useless metal.
    Well the book series makes that point as well. See Bronn vs. Vardis. I thought the fight with Ser Jorah was really well done. The other guy was the better fighter but he won due to armor.

I'm hoping for a bigger budget with the success of season 1. Battle at Kings Landing could be pretty darn sweet.

Also what they did with Tyrion was shameful. In fact the whole fight was bad. Robb sacrificing 2k troops to fend off Tywinn? If I remember reading correctly Robb sent the *bulk* of his force, the foot troops at Tywinn under the command of Bolton, while he took the cavalry to hit Jaime. Also we didn't see Tywinn's cunning with placing troops he thought would break in the van to encourage the northerners to overextend themselves and be defeated.

Honestly biggest disappointment of the season was that fight. All in all still an epic episode and an epic 1st season.

By the way, can we please put any Spoilers for later in the series in Spoiler Tags please?

I've stopped reading until either (A) he finishes the series or (B) the show catches up (I want to read before viewing). If spoilers pop up here I'll have to check out of this thread

Rand, due to our differences in the use of language, I'm unsure if by "series" you mean the collection of all seasons, or a season as we call it here. As is such, I'll just put spoiler tags on everything.

I must say, I never really bothered much with this show when it started. I mean, I knew it existed, but having never heard of the books I didn't know what to expect, so I ignored it. Then, as I've been seeing the activity and passion in this thread and on reddit, I decided to give it a shot. I've only watched the past three episodes, but that's enough to tell that this shit is awesome! The characters, the plot that I'm slowly getting a grasp on but need to learn better, the period theme, Tyrion!

Spoiler:
    I was disappointed about the battle, too, but I thought it was a pretty clever cop-out. I howled when Tyrion took the hammer to his head, and felt cold and silent when he talked about his wife. I felt bad for Ned at the end; I saw the twist coming from a little douche like Geoffrey (sorry if I'm wrong on the names, by the way), but to have Ned sell out before killing him...too sad.

I've got to find a place to watch the rest of these...

Quote Originally Posted by NGS View Post
    Rand, due to our differences in the use of language, I'm unsure if by "series" you mean the collection of all seasons, or a season as we call it here. As is such, I'll just put spoiler tags on everything.
    I think he means the series of books.

Got it.

I've caught up on the series in the past two days. If there ever were an awesome and deserved death, it was Viserys Targaryen's.

The series is being nominated for Portal and Critics Choice as awards, and Arya, Bran, and Sean Bean are being nominated for best actors. That's really sweet I liked all those actors as well. Also helps I like the characters so it can help me look passed in errors in acting. They've done a great job translating the books to the small screen, and I hope it encourages people to read the books. Looks like martin has gotten the ball rolling and the 5th book Dance will be out in a month or so : ).

On the topic of spoilers, I think it's best, given the purpose of this thread is to discuss the T.V. show Thrones, that anything that goes beyond aired content, in a significant way, should be placed in spoiler tags.
    Last edited by Lebanese Dragon; 06-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Dance with Dragons should be out july 12th. I have started re-reading the books and have made it through the first 2 now. It's remarkable how many little hints I missed first time round. I mean, the dead stag and wolf at the very beginning of the series? How could I have missed that one
    Congratulations America

I do not want to wait until 2012 for more of this series. I think I may have to give the books a shot.

Season Finale Spoilers:
    Heh, strategically placed dragons

The last episode was good, I'm following a reviewer, named Larry something or other, Larry williams? he's part of his own group called OtakuAssemble, and I'm interested to hear his thoughts on the last episode. He also hasn't read the books and goes strictly off of episodes being aired, as someone who does both he does a good job keeping plot lines, and characters straight and interpreting scenes correctly. A lot of people either read to little or too much into dialogue at time, and really come away with a wrong impression of what's going on in a particular scene. I did call the ending scene to be what it was, but I also read the book so new what material they had to cover, and i knew that was the biggest cliff hanger they had. Hopefully this will draw people to martin, and hopefully martin will draw people to reading in general, and or to more fantasy material. He is definitely a great choice for new fantasy readers. He has just enough fantasy to spice things up, but he's mostly dominated by realistic setting that those used to that feel right at home.

That was a good season final indeed. I hope they'll get a somewhat better budget for the second season or find a better way to avoid this feeling of the masses really not being masses at all.
    Congratulations America

I want to see LOTR style mass combat... we'll see how it goes.

They nailed pretty much all the ending parts. Great 1st season, I really hope they go to a 12 episode format next season. They do that with other HBO shows and lord knows they could use the extra two hours to dive deeper into some of the scenes in the next book.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post

They nailed pretty much all the ending parts. Great 1st season, I really hope they go to a 12 episode format next season. They do that with other HBO shows and lord knows they could use the extra two hours to dive deeper into some of the scenes in the next book.
    Both Band of Brothers and The Pacific were 10 episodes each.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Unless their budget was fairly largely increased, or the price for creating the effect dropped by a lot, it would not likely turn out looking that well. Coupled with the fact that dragons, The Others/Whitewalkers, and a lot of the scenery is likely part of the effects budget, they've got a lot of other things to deal with for the upcoming seasons which might be special effects intensive. Which is also probably why we didn't see Robb's army fighting Jaime's, because even that level of effect would have been expensive.
    . . .

These 10 episodes have been some of the best tv I've ever watched. As such, I just bought the first book. Very excited.

I am re-reading the entire series; I hope to be ready by july 12th as I will wake up with the new book on my iPad.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I am re-reading the entire series; I hope to be ready by july 12th as I will wake up with the new book on my iPad.
    New book was good. Felt similar to the last book where I would have hoped it would be more like A Storm of Swords but hey its Martin so its amazing. Also since pretty much the start of the series Dany chapters have been a giant 'meh' for me. Oh well hopefully it won't be another 6 years....

Oh man...

HBO defends 'Game of Thrones' shocker
    by James Hibberd

“The only reason we watched [Game of Thrones] was for Sean Bean,” groused EW reader Steve. “Way to go HBO, time to switch to Showtime.”
    That’s a pretty common reaction among some viewers after watching Sunday’s episode of HBO’s fantasy series, especially among those who didn’t read the Thrones novel by George R. R. Martin. With the show’s ninth hour taking the unprecedented step of killing off a drama series’ main character (and its best known actor) in the first season, some fans are threatening to never watch the program again.
    GAME OF THRONES: Get the latest news, photos, and more
    “Most of you who think this was some sort of brilliant move or something don’t understand the difference between a book audience and a TV audience,” argued EW reader Tamcamry. “TV audiences need to invest in characters. Most of the other characters I don’t care much about. While the show will probably still appeal to the ‘wow’ crowd, it’s mass appeal just got beheaded.”
    HBO executives knew what they were getting into when they took on Thrones, and programming president Sue Naegle says axing Ned Stark made the show creatively more attractive. “I loved it,” Naegle says. “The book series was filled with unexpected twists and turns. I loved this idea we’d bring together the group of characters, then once you started to believe all the tropes of heroes, you pull the rug out from under them. It’s the opposite of feeling manipulated.”
    The story and world of Thrones, Naegle says, is bigger than any one character. “Sean brings a giant following,” she says, “but Thrones is not just about the promise you’re going to see one of your favorite actors week in and week out. The star is the story.”
    Some readers said that they felt tricked by the show’s marketing, since they thought Bean was the star and therefore untouchable. “Marketing is designed to bring people into something,” Naegle says.
    Among fans of the novels, and those who were less focused on Bean’s character, the episode is winning high praise for its, um, execution. The episode titled “Baelor” is also being submitted for several Emmy categories.
    “I knew it was coming. Still, it was shocking, horrific, and fantastic,” wrote @ninaberry on Twitter.
    Ratings for Sunday’s episode are likely impacted by the NBA Finals and Tony Awards, though it will still be interesting to try and compare the numbers to next week’s season finale and see if outraged viewers make good on their promise and quit watching the show. Fan site winter-is-coming.net predicted newbie TV viewers will return, just like fans of the novel who famously said they threw Martin’s book across the room and then later picked it back up. “Lots of new viewers threatening that they won’t watch anymore,” the site tweeted. “I don’t believe them. They will be back.”
    Overall, Thrones ratings have been rising during its first season, with a second season already ordered. Even with climbing viewership, Naegle says the network is sticking with its fairly conservative 10-episode order for next year. “We’d love to do more,” she says. “But it’s a very rigorous shoot. Doing more episodes might make it difficult to deliver the same quality.”
    Not all fan reactions gave a clear sense of whether the viewer planned to return, however. Many were like @dirtyvicar on Twitter who simply wrote: “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/13/ga...ones-reaction/

Maybe they can get Martin to re-write the books, too. An Idiot's version of the series or something.
    Hope is the denial of reality

People were surprised? I saw it coming. Not necessarily as an execution, but he just felt like the guy who was too good to say alive.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how Sean Bean is a huge star? The only guy I recognized in the show was the guy from Stargate Atlantis (who also got killed).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    People were surprised? I saw it coming. Not necessarily as an execution, but he just felt like the guy who was too good to say alive.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure how Sean Bean is a huge star? The only guy I recognized in the show was the guy from Stargate Atlantis (who also got killed).
    Maybe not "huge", but he certainly seems to have a role in almost every other movie out there.

Having looked at his filmographie, it becomes clear why: They guy seems to average 4 to 5 movies a year.

He was better looking than the other male stars.

“Most of you who think this was some sort of brilliant move or something don’t understand the difference between a book audience and a TV audience,” argued EW reader Tamcamry. “TV audiences need to invest in characters. Most of the other characters I don’t care much about. While the show will probably still appeal to the ‘wow’ crowd, it’s mass appeal just got beheaded.”
    I swear Tamcamry is saying that teevee viewers are stupid here.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.