Thread: The Stock/Investment Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Short Google, McDonald's, and gold. (1 year horizon)

Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Hmmm betting on a big rebound here in the states? I'll be curious to hear how this worked out in a year.

The gold one I think isn't a great idea. Big reasons for its rise in value is the number of Chinese and Indians that can now afford it, and they're just not going to suddenly get poor again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    The gold one I think isn't a great idea. Big reasons for its rise in value is the number of Chinese and Indians that can now afford it, and they're just not going to suddenly get poor again.
    The price of gold is a combination of 3 things, or so--
    Its use in jewelry and industry -- rising slightly.
    The labor and energy cost of extracting it -- rising.
    Demand as an investment asset. Rising, a lot.

All bubbles look good until they burst. What will happen when golds starts teetering? People will sell it in a panic. Gold will be less attractive as the US, South American, and European economies recover 2011-2012, even with the real inflation that it brings...

Gold has been increasingly volatile IMO in the past few months, a sign that way more people are buying it for speculation than long-term holding or actual use. Late last year it started going steady in price before crashing and then rising like mad for no reason...

All bubbles look good until they burst. What will happen when golds starts teetering? People will sell it in a panic. Gold will be less attractive as the US, South American, and European economies recover 2011-2012, even with the real inflation that it brings...

Gold has been increasingly volatile IMO in the past few months, a sign that way more people are buying it for speculation than long-term holding or actual use. Late last year it started going steady in price before crashing and then rising like mad for no reason...
    Bubbles happen when people buy because prices go up, and they go up because people buy. In 1575 they believed gold was safe, in 1929 believed said stocks were safe. In 2008 they believed houses were safe. Now people say again gold is safe...

Nothing is safe.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.