• 3. I am in favour of the present 'opting out' system

18 52.94%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The case against a curse filter

Default Re: The case against a curse filter

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy
    I still can't get a vote in with my presently selected style
    Which one is that? I'll fix it.

On topic, I'm still having trouble understanding why anyone would be opposed to letting each person choose their own experience.

The way some people are phrasing the argument against even an optional filter, wouldn't the user-configurable ignore list that's present be a far greater crime?

I really don't understand how anyone can be getting so worked up about an optional swear word filter. As Loki rightly said, this has nothing to do with "freedom of speech".

I'd also question Hazir's fixation with this being an 'American thing'. Is it, really? Seems you're the only one getting upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by noah crane
    I really don't understand how anyone can be getting so worked up about an optional swear word filter.
    I was just about to post "only the CC can get this pissy over a swear filter" which I guess would answer your question too
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I'd also question Hazir's fixation with this being an 'American thing'. Is it, really?
    Somehow yes, for example beep overdubs in TV is virtually non-existent in German TV. And you probably still remember the European view on Nipplegate.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker
    I'd also question Hazir's fixation with this being an 'American thing'. Is it, really?
    Somehow yes, for example beep overdubs in TV is virtually non-existent in German TV. And you probably still remember the European view on Nipplegate.
    Fair enough. Then again, I'm British, and I suppose Hazir considers Brits to be beyond the pale as far as European identity goes.

Fair enough. Then again, I'm British, and I suppose Hazir considers Brits to be beyond the pale as far as European identity goes.
    I'm Swiss, what can I tell about European Identity?

I really don't understand how anyone can be getting so worked up about an optional swear word filter. As Loki rightly said, this has nothing to do with "freedom of speech".

I'd also question Hazir's fixation with this being an 'American thing'. Is it, really? Seems you're the only one getting upset about it.
    Really ? I must have some special votes that I could cast 13 'no' votes all by myself then.

And that in a poll where a 'no' vote means people are really against that filter, voluntary or not, and half of the 'yes' voters have expressed that they don't care one way or the other.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    I'm curious. Who is actually using the curse filter?

I still think it should be available for those who want it.
    Sounds like a poll.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir

Really ? I must have some special votes that I could cast 13 'no' votes all by myself then.

And that in a poll where a 'no' vote means people are really against that filter, voluntary or not, and half of the 'yes' voters have expressed that they don't care one way or the other.
    Great point, because a vote on a forum poll is a definite indicator of people having as strongly held views as yourself about the issue.

"

Great point, because a vote on a forum poll is a definite indicator of people having as strongly held views as yourself about the issue.
    Wow, such a strong argument, and so well backed up with facts. You must have convinced everybody with it.
    Congratulations America

"

Wow, such a strong argument, and so well backed up with facts. You must have convinced everybody with it.
    You're the only one spouting off about it in this thread. The poll question is 'do we need a curse filter?'. People may very well say no to that without actually thinking the imposition of it, or even the mere option to turn it on or off, is evidence of an encroachment of US hegemonic discourse.

On the surface I'd be for the optional filter, but with the default setting off.

I can see Hazir's point, but can't really blame those who's cultural background might cause them to frown on cursing. Missguided as I believe they might be
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

You're the only one spouting off about it in this thread. The poll question is 'do we need a curse filter?'. People may very well say no to that without actually thinking the imposition of it, or even the mere option to turn it on or off, is evidence of an encroachment of US hegemonic discourse.
    Wow, such a surprise that somebody who starts a debate about something on which he has an opinion doesn't walk away from it if people say something about it.

The debate started with a frontal attack on the curse filter; no means no filter whatsoever, not even an op-out one, that is a very strong position. From there on we only had declarations of 'opt-out' voters who mostly said they didn't care one way or the other. You have said nothing to disprove my assumption that there are more than just 1 person in this forum who feel a curse filter should not be in place at all.
    Congratulations America

Just to opine here... I think the opt-out version is the best approach.

I would likely opt out. But a curse filter gives a certain veneer of civility, which in turn helps breed civility. Which makes it all the more awesome when things become uncivil.

Plus there are people who legitimately will just want a curse filter, if for no reason that they don't feel like they are in a vile, curse-filled caged monkey fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    Just to opine here... I think the opt-out version is the best approach.

I would likely opt out. But a curse filter gives a certain veneer of civility, which in turn helps breed civility. Which makes it all the more awesome when things become uncivil.

Plus there are people who legitimately will just want a curse filter, if for no reason that they don't feel like they are in a vile, curse-filled caged monkey fight.
    Not to mention people at work.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

People at work swings it for me that an optional one should exist, profanities can cause an issue for people at work - though I've never come to the forums while working personally.

As for it being clear that changes have happened, **** is just like "..." we all know that it means something has been blanked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

If I really browse the forum at a public place or work (which is not a problem for me, I have a single office), I would need a picture filter and not a word filter. One has to get very close to the monitor to be able to read the text.

I don't think it's unreasonable to adopt the picture posting rules from the place that shall not be named.

Warning, rude image:
    [spoiler2:312vxquo][/spoiler2:312vxquo]
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker
    If I really browse the forum at a public place or work (which is not a problem for me, I have a single office), I would need a picture filter and not a word filter. One has to get very close to the monitor to be able to read the text.
    Indeed, if the workplace is going to be an important consideration pictures are of a bigger concern than curses.
    Congratulations America

The new spoiler feature would work nicely to prevent that. As long as there's a warning going along with it.

(see post above)
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Wow, such a surprise that somebody who starts a debate about something on which he has an opinion doesn't walk away from it if people say something about it.

The debate started with a frontal attack on the curse filter; no means no filter whatsoever, not even an op-out one, that is a very strong position. From there on we only had declarations of 'opt-out' voters who mostly said they didn't care one way or the other. You have said nothing to disprove my assumption that there are more than just 1 person in this forum who feel a curse filter should not be in place at all.
    You've said nothing to substantiate your claim that those people who don't want the curse filter at all, care as passionately about it.

But anyway, this is getting rather tedious.

Thought about this some more and decided to vote for the opt-out. I even changed my mind about the default setting being off, and would like to have it as it is now.

The reason is more practical than idealogical. We might scare off people who object to curse words, but are otherwise reasonable people who could contribute to the forum. I don't think having a filter will scare off those objected to the filter, since it's par for the course for most forums.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

You're so fucking reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

I'm sorry.

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Vis a vis Loki's hissy fit in IRC about "would you use bad words in public":

The largest and arguably most respectable paper here ran a column on their front web page with the word "shit" in the title
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
    Thought about this some more and decided to vote for the opt-out. I even changed my mind about the default setting being off, and would like to have it as it is now.

The reason is more practical than idealogical. We might scare off people who object to curse words, but are otherwise reasonable people who could contribute to the forum. I don't think having a filter will scare off those objected to the filter, since it's par for the course for most forums.
    But what about all the liberal idealists that come to the forum, see curse words censored and say "fuck this shit" and leave without even so much as a post? Damn it, Ziggy. You'll be turning away some of the best and brightest while at the same time compromising your principles. You're just a blasted flip-flopper, you.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    Vis a vis Loki's hissy fit in IRC about "would you use bad words in public":

The largest and arguably most respectable paper here ran a column on their front web page with the word "shit" in the title
    Yeah, and it's standards of journalism like that which lead to such things as crappy education and health care systems. No wonder Finland is so backward in such things compared to the US.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan
    But what about all the liberal idealists that come to the forum, see curse words censored and say "fuck this shit" and leave without even so much as a post? Damn it, Ziggy. You'll be turning away some of the best and brightest while at the same time compromising your principles. You're just a blasted flip-flopper, you.
    "I don't think having a filter will scare off those objected to the filter, since it's par for the course for most forums"

Do keep up. I don't mind discussing whether this reasoning is correct, but I do hate to repeat myself. :mischief:
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
    "I don't think having a filter will scare off those objected to the filter, since it's par for the course for most forums"

Do keep up. I don't mind discussing whether this reasoning is correct, but I do hate to repeat myself. :mischief:
    The Rules

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars