• 2. no

16 47.06%
  • 3. I am in favour of the present 'opting out' system

18 52.94%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The case against a curse filter

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    Vis a vis Loki's hissy fit in IRC about "would you use bad words in public":

The largest and arguably most respectable paper here ran a column on their front web page with the word "shit" in the title
    Amazingly enough, that word isn't blocked by the filter here.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Default Re: Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Loki

Amazingly enough, that word isn't blocked by the filter here.
    Cure, but not quite as emotive a response as your WELL WOULD YOU USE THIS AT A DRESS GOWN DINNER

WOULD YOU

PUNK

routine
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Default Re: The case against a curse filter

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    Just to opine here... I think the opt-out version is the best approach.

I would likely opt out. But a curse filter gives a certain veneer of civility, which in turn helps breed civility. Which makes it all the more awesome when things become uncivil.

Plus there are people who legitimately will just want a curse filter, if for no reason that they don't feel like they are in a vile, curse-filled caged monkey fight.
    I agree with this. I'm all for the opting-out/opting-in option. People should be allowed to speak as they would like, and since this is an online forum where we're allowed to completely ignore a poster if we so choose, I do not see a problem with ignoring certain words if a person chooses as well.
    . . .