0 0%
  • 2. no

16 47.06%
  • 3. I am in favour of the present 'opting out' system

18 52.94%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The case against a curse filter

Default The case against a curse filter

The way I know the people who came here from the CC are mature people who more or less know how to display civil behaviour. I fancy that this is also the sort of community we want to rebuild here in this new forum.

I understand the need for rules, and I am not trying to say that there should be no rules. But I would like to make a case against a cursefilter. The standard we should try to uphold here is not a standard that is under severe threath from the ability to freely use 'naughty' words. The people inhere should be mature enough to understand that efficient communication contains (under normal circumstances) only a limited amount of curses. If they behave in such a way that their use of curses becomes a problem, then the appropriate reaction is not for them to be treated like little children whose words are turned into (hardly less offensive) ****s by a piece of software.

The appropriate way is for either mods or regular users to confront them with the un-acceptable nature of their behaviour. In short to approach them as responsable people who are able to control their urges when this is appropriate.

I am certain that in such an environment this forum won't turn into an online version of a Giles de la Tourette gathering.

Is there a way to fix the poll
    Congratulations America

Default Re: The case against a curse filter

ITT we explore the law of unintended consequences.

Tim says (7:38):
    your image is broke
    DerangedNess says (7:38):
    how so?
    in the sense that it doesn't work
    works for me
    hmm
    hmm
    hard refresh didn't disappear it
    DerangedNess says (7:39):
    does photobucket say it's been deleted or what?
    Tim says (7:39):
    MANN GEGEN MANN
    hang on
    Tim says (7:40):
    this is what comes up under address
    http://photobucket.com/findstuff/?httpstatus=404
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/ ... t-****.gif hmm
    DerangedNess says (7:40):
    do you have the word filter on on the new forum?
    Tim says (7:41):
    is it on by default? if so, yes.
    DerangedNess says (7:41):
    well there's your problem
    Tim says (7:41):
    there should be no word filter.
    I can see no need for even an opt-out word filter.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I don't think we really need a filter. I see nothing at all objectionable about having an "opt-out" version though.

I can't vote in the poll, though, it says the submitted form is invalid. Problem with the poll, or with the coding for polls?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Well I see a problem with the poll because I was able to vote for all 3 options, one at a time.

The actual answer is that we might as well go with the current opt-out system, though.

But I really don't care.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

The opt-out system seems apropriate. Freedom of choice.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

The problem with the opt-out filter, as alluded to above, is that it filters URLs with "naughty" "words" in them, thus breaking them for everyone with the purity filter engaged, but not for those without. At least with one setting for everyone people knew that a link with swearing would be broken.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged
    Well I see a problem with the poll because I was able to vote for all 3 options, one at a time.

The actual answer is that we might as well go with the current opt-out system, though.

But I really don't care.
    That's not a problem but an option. It allows you to change your vote.
    Congratulations America

Shouldn't be able to change your vote.

Shouldn't be able to change your vote.
    Why not, you may think one thing then hear a convincing counter argument. I think Steely just gave one that makes a filter even undesirable from a technical point of view.

Anyway, off to Avatar now.
    Congratulations America

There's nothing in real-life that changes what we say to ****'s, I don't see the need for it here personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade
    There's nothing in real-life that changes what we say to ****'s, I don't see the need for it here personally.
    In real-life, people have more self-control.
    Hope is the denial of reality

I don't think we need a curse filter, surely it was only in existence at the other place for the benefit of the kiddies.

Though I won't be having a hissy fit if a filter is applied.

I think curse words are an appropriate use of language, they can add emphasis to a statement and often hilarity can ensue.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Not sure, its pretty rare to have the autofilter affect any of my posts.

In fact I'd pretty much say it next-to-never happens.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

In fact I'd pretty much say it next-to-never happens.
    That's because the auto-filter is almost empty as of now.

I meant over the last 10 years rather than the last few days. I've never relied on the filter.

I meant over the last 10 years rather than the last few days. I've never relied on the filter.
    And if we get members who lace each of their posts with obscenities, on what grounds would you warn them?

If it becomes an issue, we can adjust it. At the moment obscenity-laced new people are hardly banging down our door.

If it becomes an issue, we can adjust it. At the moment obscenity-laced new people are hardly banging down our door.
    Do you really want to have a war later on over "arbitrary" moderation? People aren't posting illegal content either, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a rule against it.

Do you really want to have a war later on over "arbitrary" moderation? People aren't posting illegal content either, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a rule against it.
    Are you capable of relaxing, little kitty?

Are you capable of relaxing, little kitty?
    Just trying to avoid problems somewhere down the line. The clearer the rules, the easier it will be for Rand and Dread to enforce them. No one's saying the rules should be strict, but they should be clear.

Excessive Trolling, Flaming and Spam would be against the rules wouldn't they? Swearing IIRC was not actually an infraction in its own right previously.

Excessive swearing where it was a problem would generally easily fall into any of those.

I haven't seen any instance ,so far, of any egregious(spelling please) use of profanity in excess. Excess being the operative word there. I think we're 'mostly' adults capable of exerting 'some' self-control here. If there's a problem child the rest of can try to reel them in. If that doesn't work, the mods can step in to take action.

Speak for yourself, cupcake!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I got the same invalid message when i tried to vote but my choice was for an opt-out system. However, if people wanted to make it an "opt-in" system, that might be the best of all worlds.

It would work, presumably, along the same lines as the ignore feature - those who dont like what they see can change what they see.

Because ignorance is bliss and if i see "**** you" i can pretend what they really said was "love you"...

er
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I think we can handle seeing bad words. If it becomes too much, on a case by case basis, let hte moderators handle it the way the would handle trolling.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I agree that we can ...er govern(?) ourselves with the moderators at the helm. It would be sad to think we so sensitive all of a sudden to the occassional fuck you, you fucking fuck. I love that song. Seriously though, even though things can sometimes be said out-of-hand, we've all heard it before and can deal with it (or not) as needed.

I'm against any automatic filter. Loki is right about people having more self-control when they are not anonymous, but those filter don't see in what context you use the word.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker
    I'm against any automatic filter. Loki is right about people having more self-control when they are not anonymous, but those filter don't see in what context you use the word.
    But you're free to not use the filter and see those words...

#1. i like how you can change your vote in the polls. (Being a liberal, its in my nature to flipflop )

#2. Clearly the opt in/out functionality is the best. Now the sensitive ones can protect themselves and hte rest of us can revel in the creative juices of profanity.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

This is just another part of real life and should be treated as such. People are more likely to behave badly on-line as it can appear to be free from consequence. As most of the people here have known each other for a long time I would hope for a degree civility. Unfortunately, you're all a bunch of ****s so it won't happen
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame