Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Reason the United States is Terrible

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    By which you mean lows odds, but higher than you'd like (of course, what you'd like would be zero, so the thrust of your complaint is effectively tautological. . .)
    I am unfamiliar with lows odds. And I don't find it at all distasteful to ask that there is a zero chance of prison rape. But that's not what you were saying, was it?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    And it's a good job he's white, too, because there's a good chance that were he a black man in America, he'd be imprisoned and raped in a for-profit institution. So, better than some other country?
    Oh really? 1 in 2 black men are in prison in America?

I think it's 4 out of ten, but don't quote me on that. And I note you haven't at all addressed the issue of prison rape in your terse response.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I think it's 4 out of ten, but don't quote me on that. And I note you haven't at all addressed the issue of prison rape in your terse response.
    You are comparing apples and oranges. Lets list the differences?

1. Women raped in South Africa have not been found guilty of a crime. They are 'innocent.' They have done nothing wrong which is a very different story then the folks in prison here.
    2. A MUCH higher percentage of women are raped in South Africa then there are black men in prison. 4/10? Psssh you are way off.
    3. Just because a black man is in prison does not mean they are going to be raped. Sure there are some prison rapes but your point of view which implies that everyone going to prison faces rape is just false.

Oh and most prisons in America are not for profit so I'm not sure why you like to throw that in.

So it's okay to rape someone once they've been judged guilty of committing a crime?

So it's okay to rape someone once they've been judged guilty of committing a crime?
    No but in the grand scheme of things the rape of a criminal and the rape of an innocent victim are on a different level of bad.

Do you laud one and campaign against the other?

Do you laud one and campaign against the other?
    Neither? I don't support prison rape in general but in certain circumstances I have to LOL when a truly vile criminal has horrible things occur to them. And I don't so much as campaign against SA rape but really just use it to point out what a terrible country it is.

How many federal and state dollars are you willing to spend for the raping of criminally convicted individuals? How many dollars is one rape worth to you?

How many federal and state dollars are you willing to spend for the raping of criminally convicted individuals? How many dollars is one rape worth to you?
    Spoilers for stuff.

Not to rain on this parade, but Lewk's enjoyment of seeing a vile criminal have terrible things happen to them is pretty much reinforced throughout fiction. Palpatine gets thrown down a shaft, the lead Nazi in The Last Crusade dies a gruesome death, Jean-Baptiste Immanuel Zorg is blown up in an explosion, Muntz in UP falls a few thousand feet to his death off of Carl's house derigible, Gothel in Tangled not only rapidly ages but falls out a window to her death, after Voldemort's defeat at the end of Harry Potter his shattered soul is stuck in limbo suffering for all eternity, the Witch from Hansel and Gretel is cooked alive in her own oven, the Wolf from Red Riding Hood is slain with an axe, etc. throughtout the ages covering a wide range of mild to particularly gruesome deaths for bad people.
    . . .

Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg was never raped with US federal funding. He was pretty cool, though

it's terrifying to think that a person's ideas about morality and justice can be so reliant on george lucas. what the HELL lewk, when will you stop endorsing a vile crime such as rape? how can you speak of levels of goodness wrt RAPE when you are incapable of doing so wrt TOOTHPASTE THEFT BY CRAZY HOMELESS PEOPLE??
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Spoilers for stuff.

Not to rain on this parade, but Lewk's enjoyment of seeing a vile criminal have terrible things happen to them is pretty much reinforced throughout fiction. Palpatine gets thrown down a shaft, the lead Nazi in The Last Crusade dies a gruesome death, Jean-Baptiste Immanuel Zorg is blown up in an explosion, Muntz in UP falls a few thousand feet to his death off of Carl's house derigible, Gothel in Tangled not only rapidly ages but falls out a window to her death, after Voldemort's defeat at the end of Harry Potter his shattered soul is stuck in limbo suffering for all eternity, the Witch from Hansel and Gretel is cooked alive in her own oven, the Wolf from Red Riding Hood is slain with an axe, etc. throughtout the ages covering a wide range of mild to particularly gruesome deaths for bad people.
    Do you know the reason popular fiction always has the bad guys die terrible deaths as opposed to sitting in prison? Because it provides closure to the viewers/readers. In addition people WANT bad things to happen to bad guys. I'm just not ashamed to say it. When criminals/terrorists/ect die it sends a message to everyone the results of bad behavior. It is an important lesson. There are only two reasons people do not break the law. One is their own sense of morality. When talking about scum they rarely often have it. The second reason is self interest. If they fear the consequences of their crime they are less likely to do the crime. Basic human behavior.

Its not a US policy. It just happens because there are a large number of truly disgusting people in close proximity. Take a 100 criminals and put them in a room together. Bad stuff is going to occur. Just like if you put a 100 South Africans in a room together, bad stuff is going to occur. Both sets of folks have extremely terrible cultures that think certain things are OK.

To clarify I don't think the US policy on criminals is to punish them by having prison rapes. I just find a little glee in the fact that certain criminals happen to have additional suffering in prisons.

You find Glee in others suffering? That's horrible, Lewk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Its not a US policy. It just happens because there are a large number of truly disgusting people in close proximity. Take a 100 criminals and put them in a room together. Bad stuff is going to occur. Just like if you put a 100 South Africans in a room together, bad stuff is going to occur. Both sets of folks have extremely terrible cultures that think certain things are OK.

To clarify I don't think the US policy on criminals is to punish them by having prison rapes. I just find a little glee in the fact that certain criminals happen to have additional suffering in prisons.
    How many federal and state dollars is that glee worth?

lewk doesn't believe the federal government should be in the entertainment business. monetization of prison rape should be left to private entrepeneurs. it would be a good way for criminals to pay society back for the costs of housing and feeding them.

I have no idea why lewk ignores the importance of preventing criminals from arising in the first place eg. by ensuring people have decent lives and guidance throughout their childhood and youth. or by enabling abortion

The reason Prison Rape Idol isn't up there with American Idol is that television produces are afraid that parents will think that kind of contact will damage their children. No one is concerned about the morality of filming hundreds and thousands of men being raped Welcome to America!

That's even more surprising given that many of the people in prison have never raped or physically assaulted anyone. Surely it can't be okay to rape or otherwise assault a person who has never done anything of the kind to anyone else? Lewk was keen on equivalence above. Rape of criminals isn't the same as rape of innocent girls. Well rape of non-violent criminals can't be the same as rape of violent criminals, there is NO justice in that.

So when Lewk is forced to ask himself who gets raped or beaten in prison and who does the raping and the beating (apart from the guards), what's his answer? And, knowing that answer, what's his position on rape and assault in prison?

There can't be anything just about raping and beating a heroin dealer whose only crime was to provide a much-desired product to adults in violation of the laws of the nanny state.

Take a 100 criminals and put them in a room together. Bad stuff is going to occur. Just like if you put a 100 South Africans in a room together, bad stuff is going to occur. Both sets of folks have extremely terrible cultures that think certain things are OK.
    Come on Lewk, really? I agree South Africa does have some major problems on this issue that start right at the top, but it's hard to not sound racist when you say things like that.

Only if South African is a race...
    Hope is the denial of reality

Okay we can use a word that denotes discrimination based on ethnicity or on culture

So saying that the Saudis have a crappy culture is racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Xenophobia?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Xenophobia?
    That refers to fear/hatred of all foreigners. Lewk doesn't hate all foreigners (in fact, the South Africans aren't "foreigners" in this context). I'm not aware of any term for hatred of a specific culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Come on Lewk, really? I agree South Africa does have some major problems on this issue that start right at the top, but it's hard to not sound racist when you say things like that.
    How so? South Africa has been often called the rape capital of the world. If you want to view *everything* in the lens of race sure I could see how people can misconstrue it but I give people here more credit then that. My complaints about South Africa have to do with their ridiculous government and their degenerate culture. Culture != race.

So saying that the Saudis have a crappy culture is racist?
    What's so crappy about driving audis and eating from the same place as everyone else?

You mean other than treating women and non-white foreigners like slaves, believing that only foreigners should work in all jobs barring managerial ones, and wanting to spread these great beliefs to the rest of the Muslim world?

Good job you added that Muslim thing, otherwise one might think you were discussing the Republicans

Take a 100 criminals and put them in a room together. Bad stuff is going to occur. Just like if you put a 100 South Africans in a room together, bad stuff is going to occur. Both sets of folks have extremely terrible cultures that think certain things are OK.
    Regardless of how it is called out, is that statement acceptable to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.