Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapture nutters in the news again

Default Rapture nutters in the news again

Is The End Nigh? We'll Know Soon Enough

by Barbara Bradley Hagerty

Brian Haubert grabs some pamphlets and marches toward the flea market in Palmyra, N.J. Armed with a poster that trumpets Judgment Day on May 21, 2011, he braces for rejection. Announcing God's wrath is not always a popular message.

"I've been called a heretic," says Haubert, a 33-year-old actuary. "I've been told I read the wrong Bible. And then there's the occasional person who seems to be genuinely interested," he says.

His friend and fellow believer, Kevin Brown, uses a gentler approach, not confronting people or engaging in conversation, just politely handing out Judgment Day pamphlets.

Brown, who owns his own nutrition and wellness business, is soft-spoken and polished, not someone you'd imagine giving away doomsday tracts. But he says the clock is ticking.

"People need to know," Brown says, "and God commands us to share the Gospel about the end of the world. He says if we do not share the Gospel then their blood will be on our hands, whether they believe or not. God's been moving me to do this."

Spreading The Word

Haubert and Brown are two of a small — or not so small, who knows? — army of Christians sounding the alarm. They drive caravans and put up billboards, hand out tracts and try to convince friends and family that Judgment Day is upon us. Brown says this message is laced throughout the Bible, but only some can decode it. It will happen this way:

On May 21, "starting in the Pacific Rim at around the 6 p.m. local time hour, in each time zone, there will be a great earthquake, such as has never been in the history of the Earth," he says. The true Christian believers — he hopes he's one of them — will be "raptured": They'll fly upward to heaven. And for the rest?

"It's just the horror of horror stories," he says, "and on top of all that, there's no more salvation at that point. And then the Bible says it will be 153 days later that the entire universe and planet Earth will be destroyed forever."

Most Bible scholars note that even Jesus said he had no idea when Judgment Day would come. But May 21 believers like Haubert are unfazed.

"I've crunched the numbers, and it's going to happen," he says.

Haubert says the Bible contains coded "proofs" that reveal the timing. For example, he says, from the time of Noah's flood to May 21, 2011, is exactly 7,000 years. Revelations like this have changed his life.

"I no longer think about 401(k)s and retirement," he says. "I'm not stressed about losing my job, which a lot of other people are in this economy. I'm just a lot less stressed, and in a way I'm more carefree."

He's tried to warn his friends and family — they think he's crazy. And that saddens him.

"Oh, it's very hard," he says. "I worry about friends and family and loved ones. But I guess more recently, I'm just really looking forward to it."

Haubert is 33 and single. Brown is married with several young children, and none of them shares his beliefs. It's caused a rift with his wife — but he says that, too, was predicted in the Bible.

"God says, 'Do you love husband or wife over me? Do you love son or daughter over me?' There is a test. There is a trial here that the believers are going through. It's a fiery trial."

As May 21 nears, Brown says he feels as if he's on a "roller coaster." What if he is raptured but his family is left behind?

"I'm crying over my loved ones one minute; I'm elated the next minute," he says. "It's all over the place."

Family Radio

No one knows how many people believe Judgment Day is right around the corner. But it appears that many became believers in 2009 after turning on Family Radio, a Christian network worth more than $100 million.

Harold Camping, the network's 89-year-old founder, has been interpreting the Bible on the air for years. He says that everyone knows there would be a judgment day at some point.

"We just happen to be in that time in history," he said in an interview. "And whether we like it or not, we're here."

Camping's predictions have inspired other groups to rally behind the May 21 date. People have quit their jobs and left their families to get the message out.

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

Nothing, except for the fervent hope that all of them will be raptured.

'There Is No Plan B'

Camping is not the first person to fix a date for the end of the world. There have been dozens of such prophets, and so far, they've all been wrong.

Camping himself has had to do some recalculation. He first predicted the end would come Sept. 6, 1994. He now explains that he had not completed his biblical research.

"For example, I at that time had not gone through the Book of Jeremiah," he explains, "which is a big book in the Bible that has a whole lot to say about the end of the world."

So he's not planning for May 22?

"Absolutely not," Camping says. "It is going to happen. There is no Plan B."

I've asked a dozen of Camping's followers the same question. Everyone said even entertaining the possibility that May 21 would come and go without event is an offense to God. They all hope they'll be raptured. Some worry about being left behind.

"If I'm here on May 22, and I wake up, I'm going to be in hell," says Brown. "And that's where I don't want to be. So there is going to be a May 22, and we don't want to be here."

On the other hand, he will presumably have lots of company.
    Sucks for the little kids, I suppose.

The psychological after-effects of the world not ending are interesting. Often in the past the believers decided that their belief made God (or space aliens, or whoever) to change their mind and post-pone the End. Faith is a wondrous thing.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Well, I better move up that haircut appointment.

Bible was clear no one would know the hour...

Arrogance in the extreme here. Not that it couldn't happen but its as likely to happen then as it is at any other point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Bible was clear no one would know the hour...

Arrogance in the extreme here. Not that it couldn't happen but its as likely to happen then as it is at any other point in time.
    I know we're not on good terms, and it's a personal question, but I'ma ask anyway: Have you prepared for the possibility of a Rapture-type event in your life, somehow?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

May 21st, 2011 - Judgment Day according to Haubert.
    April 21st, 2011 - Skynet becomes self-aware; Judgment Day.

Coincidence?

I know we're not on good terms, and it's a personal question, but I'ma ask anyway: Have you prepared for the possibility of a Rapture-type event in your life, somehow?
    I guess it'd be the same as preparing for the situation that someone dies, coupled with a natural disaster. I also thought of that verse in the Bible Lewk, and I wonder what people will be thinking when this day passes like any other day. Call it a miscalculation and say it's really in May 2027.

"If I'm here on May 22, and I wake up, I'm going to be in hell," says Brown. "And that's where I don't want to be. So there is going to be a May 22, and we don't want to be here."
    Does this mean they'll commit suicide on May 22, because if they're here that will be hell on earth?

Wow. Just wow. I think, judging by this article, sometimes people use religion as a way to delude themselves into believing that they aren't useless pieces of crap. Quitting jobs? Only having enough money to last until the 21st?

What the hell is wrong with the woman in the article? The one with a baby due in June? Wouldn't she want it not to be true for her unborn baby's sake? Wouldn't that make God a murderer of her baby?

These people are sheep to the extreme, but I wonder what will happen to Family Radio on May 22nd? Lawsuits abound?

EDIT: Sorry for all the question mark punctuations. I reread it and I sound like a flake.

You are not a flake, cat. I don't "get it" either.

Reminds me of that cult that was convinced our Alien Ancestors were returning on a certain date, to take a selected few back to our Mother Ship. (Or something like that.) The ones who swallowed the deadly pills, and died in their bunk beds wearing black exercise clothes and black Nike sneakers. Smaller scale Jim Jones shit. Larger scale Romeo and Juliet shit.

I just don't get it.

Oh, wasn't in Heaven's Gate or something? I remember that....

\

Heaven's Gate sounds familiar.

Funny thing about Rapture believers. Mormons fit in there somewhere, by their "mission" to collect, store, sort, categorize, and rotate food supplies and home necessities. They're preparing for the end of the world, and/or such hard times that only those with lots of children, planned-stocked food supplies and planned shelters will survive.

There's another group that isn't religious at all, but they have the same "mission"---the Militia people. They're stocking water, propane, preserved food, and most importantly--- weapons. Supplies for the end of the world, and/or such hard times that only those with canned corn and guns will survive. They don't even bother with pre-built shelters, but instead teach people how to live in the "new wilderness" using nothing but their gun/ammo and a hunting knife. Drinking cactus water or melted snow. Sleeping in a sand drift or snow ditch.

The pertinent question here is; where will these people who've given up worldly possessions turn to after Rapture fails to happen? Government aid? Other churches?

Quote Originally Posted by Catgrrl View Post
    Wow. Just wow. I think, judging by this article, sometimes people use religion as a way to delude themselves into believing that they aren't useless pieces of crap. Quitting jobs? Only having enough money to last until the 21st?

What the hell is wrong with the woman in the article? The one with a baby due in June? Wouldn't she want it not to be true for her unborn baby's sake? Wouldn't that make God a murderer of her baby?

These people are sheep to the extreme, but I wonder what will happen to Family Radio on May 22nd? Lawsuits abound?

EDIT: Sorry for all the question mark punctuations. I reread it and I sound like a flake.
    Well, the woman and her baby will be re-united in Heaven, so it's all good. I guess.

I'm going to an Apocalypse Party for this next week.

Hopefully that involves nudity, but I suspect half the people will be strangers on shrooms.

My uncle is one of those that stocks food and such "just in case". He's not religious at all though; I doubt he's even heard of the May 21st scenario. I guess he'd fit into the "militia" category GGT described.

My grandparents have tons of canned goods stored in their house too; but I think that is due to living with 7 kids for many years, they just never grew out of it.

So, between those two, I know where to go if an emergency happens and there is no food left in the area. Though my uncle rotates his stock; it is questionable if my grandparents ever do...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post

Hopefully that involves nudity, but I suspect half the people will be strangers on shrooms.
    Now this is the Dread I fondly remember.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

I wish I had the link on hand. But, I heard of a site that is run a group of atheists marketing to christians. For a fee they promise to take care of the christian's pets after they are taken in the rapture. Now that's genius, true mastery of the marketing potential of the internet. Apparently it is working brilliantly for them, the dog-gone non-believers have made a lot of money so far, not that they will be able to use it next week.
    The worst job in the world is better than being broke and homeless

I fail to see how this is a dichotomy.

Convincing people on shrooms to take off their clothes just seems wrong.

Well at least Glenn Beck doesn't believe in the Rapture...maybe?

Coming this summer: ‘Restoring Courage’ in Israel

Monday, May 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM EDT

Last summer we set out to Restore Honor in Washington, DC. This summer it is time to Restore Courage. Taking a stand is not always easy, but now more than ever it is imperative that we live with conviction and do the right thing. It is time for us to courageously stand with Israel.

“I invite you to join me in Israel this summer to stand together and show the world what living a life of faith and honor really means. I invite you to join me in my quest to Restore Courage,” Glenn said.

On radio, Glenn said, “We have gone to the capitals of our states and to the capitals of our government. We have talked to all the power brokers. The only power broker, the only seat of government that can and will solve this problem with or without us is God. It is time to return inside the walls that surround Jerusalem and stand with people of all faiths, all around the world,”

“In August, whether I’m there with seven people or 10 people or there alone, I will be counted and I will stand. I ask you to join me. I also ask you to take this message globally, to take this to every corner of the earth. If you have family living overseas, this is not an America solution. This is a people of faith solution. This is a people all over the world solution. I ask you to help get this word out.”

More information on this event will be made available in the next few days. Sign up for the FREE e-mail newsletter to make sure you’re the first to know! Click here to join.

Stay tuned for more on this major announcement!

http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/05/16/...age-in-israel/

He's Mormon.

Convincing people on shrooms to take off their clothes just seems wrong.
    Why would that be wrong? Or at least any more than drunk people, stoned people, or even sober people?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I don't know, just seems like a shooting-fish-in-barrel thing? I've never actually been with a whole room full of people on shrooms.

You are aware of what the shroom effects are?

Yeah, but only been with one person on them a while ago. Most people I know don't really do them at parties or anything; not the best place to do them.

Agreed there. Unless you expect the apocalypse to happen, I suppose.

Just two more days! I'm excited.

I'm trying to make a map of all the good christians in my neighborhood, so after they're raptured, I can steal all their stuff.

Just a quick fact check: If you are a good person, perhaps even good on the level of a devout Christian - you know, love thy neighbor like yourself, turn the cheek, etc - but you don't believe in the Rapture, maybe don't even belong to a church and attend services, is it possible you might still get Raptured up?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

This makes me sorta sad.

May 19, 2011
    Make My Bed? But You Say the World’s Ending

By ASHLEY PARKER

The Haddad children of Middletown, Md., have a lot on their minds: school projects, SATs, weekend parties. And parents who believe the earth will begin to self-destruct on Saturday.

The three teenagers have been struggling to make sense of their shifting world, which started changing nearly two years ago when their mother, Abby Haddad Carson, left her job as a nurse to “sound the trumpet” on mission trips with her husband, Robert, handing out tracts. They stopped working on their house and saving for college.

Last weekend, the family traveled to New York, the parents dragging their reluctant children through a Manhattan street fair in a final effort to spread the word.

“My mom has told me directly that I’m not going to get into heaven,” Grace Haddad, 16, said. “At first it was really upsetting, but it’s what she honestly believes.”

Thousands of people around the country have spent the last few days taking to the streets and saying final goodbyes before Saturday, Judgment Day, when they expect to be absorbed into heaven in a process known as the rapture. Nonbelievers, they hold, will be left behind to perish along with the world over the next five months.

With their doomsday T-shirts, placards and leaflets, followers — often clutching Bibles — are typically viewed as harmless proselytizers from outside mainstream religion. But their convictions have frequently created the most tension within their own families, particularly with relatives whose main concern about the weekend is whether it will rain.

Kino Douglas, 31, a self-described agnostic, said it was hard to be with his sister Stacey, 33, who “doesn’t want to talk about anything else.”

“I’ll say, ‘Oh, what are we going to do this summer?’ She’s going to say, ‘The world is going to end on May 21, so I don’t know why you’re planning for summer,’ and then everyone goes, ‘Oh, boy,’ ” he said.

The Douglas siblings live near each other in Brooklyn, and Mr. Douglas said he could not wait until Sunday — “I’m going to show up at her house so we can have that conversation that’s been years in coming.”

Ms. Douglas, who has a 7-year-old, said that while her family did not see the future the way she did, her mother did allow her to put a Judgment Day sign up on her house. “I never thought I’d be doing this,” said Ms. Douglas, who took vacation from her nanny job this week but did not quit. “I was in an abusive relationship. One day, my son was playing with the remote and Mr. Camping was on TV. I thought, This guy is crazy. But I kept thinking about it and something told me to go back.”

Ms. Douglas and other believers subscribe to the prophesy of Harold Camping, a civil engineer turned self-taught biblical scholar whose doomsday scenario — broadcast on his Family Radio network — predicts a May 21, 2011, Judgment Day. On that day, arrived at through a series of Bible-based calculations that assume the world will end exactly 7,000 years after Noah’s flood, believers are to be transported up to heaven as a worldwide earthquake strikes. Nonbelievers will endure five months of plagues, quakes, wars, famine and general torment before the planet’s total destruction in October. In 1992 Mr. Camping said the rapture would probably be in 1994, but he now says newer evidence makes the prophesy for this year certain.

Kevin Brown, a Family Radio representative, said conflict with other family members was part of the test of whether a person truly believed. “They’re going through the fiery trial each day,” he said.

Gary Daniels, 27, said he planned to spend Saturday like other believers, “glued to our TV sets, waiting for the Resurrection and earthquake from nation to nation.” But he acknowledged that his family was not entirely behind him.

“At first there was a bit of anger and tension, not really listening to one another and just shouting out ideas,” Mr. Daniels said.

But his family has come around to respect — if not endorse — his views, and he drove from his home in Newark, Del., on Monday night in a van covered in Judgment Day messages to say goodbye to relatives in Brooklyn. “I know I’m not going to see them again, but they are very certain they are going to see me, and that’s where I feel so sad,” he said. “I weep to know that they don’t have any idea that this overwhelming thing is coming right at them, pummeling toward them like a meteor.”

Courtney Campbell, a professor of religion and culture at Oregon State University, said “end times” movements were often tied to significant date changes, like Jan. 1, 2000, or times of acute social crises.

“Ultimately we’re looking for some authoritative answers in an era of great social, political, economic, as well as natural, upheaval,” Professor Campbell said. “Right now there are lots of natural disasters occurring that will get people worried, whether it’s tornadoes in the South or earthquakes and tsunamis. The United States is now involved in three wars. We’re still in a period of economic uncertainty.”

While Ms. Haddad Carson has quit her job, her husband still works as an engineer for the federal Energy Department. But the children worry that there may not be enough money for college. They also have typical teenage angst — embarrassing parents — only amplified.

“People look at my family and think I’m like that,” said Joseph, their 14-year-old, as his parents walked through the street fair on Ninth Avenue, giving out Bibles. “I keep my friends as far away from them as possible.”

“I don’t really have any motivation to try to figure out what I want to do anymore,” he said, “because my main support line, my parents, don’t care.”

His mother said she accepted that believers “lose friends and you lose family members in the process.”

“I have mixed feelings,” Ms. Haddad Carson said. “I’m very excited about the Lord’s return, but I’m fearful that my children might get left behind. But you have to accept God’s will.”

The children, however, have found something to giggle over. “She’ll say, ‘You need to clean up your room,’ ” Grace said. “And I’ll say, ‘Mom, it doesn’t matter, if the world’s going to end!’ ”

She and her twin, Faith, have a friend’s birthday party Saturday night, around the time their parents believe the rapture will occur.

“So if the world doesn’t end, I’d really like to attend,” Grace said before adding, “Though I don’t know how emotionally able my family will be at that time.”

Juliet Linderman contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us/20rapture.html

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Just a quick fact check: If you are a good person, perhaps even good on the level of a devout Christian - you know, love thy neighbor like yourself, turn the cheek, etc - but you don't believe in the Rapture, maybe don't even belong to a church and attend services, is it possible you might still get Raptured up?
    All the true believers think only they and the people like them will go and everyone else regards the whole of Revelations as a series of metaphors, so I would say it's unlikely.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"