Thread: Action/spy movie recommendations?

Default Action/spy movie recommendations?

I'm craving some nice action goodness right now. Any ideas? '90s onwards, not too much cheese but def. not too serious and political. I like hidden heroes, navy seals, spies, that sorta thing go nuts

if all else fails I'll watch Scorpion King
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Inception, The Dark Knight, The Big Lebowski (not that much action, but a great, great movie nonetheless), Das Boot (old, but catchy!), Armadillo (well, political as it's about the Afghanistan war, but very decent movie), Blood Diamond.

Otherwise there are a lot of anime movies that I think you guys could appreciate. Grave of The Fireflies or Princess Mononoke being great ones. In fact, everything Ghibli / Hayao Miyazaki is guaranteed to make your day, if not your week.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Spy Game is the first one that comes to mind, though you have probably seen it. And shame on you if you haven't.
    Carthāgō dēlenda est

Austin Powers?
    Or how about this gem?

TIL that wikipedia has a page for popular spy movies
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Promised to save spy game for later. Anyone seen Harry Brown?

Sneakers. FX. True Lies.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Equilibrium. Max Payne. Punisher. Hot Fuzz. The 51st State. Romeo Must Die. The Art of War. The Peacemaker. The Island. The Hunt for Red October. Pandorum. The Losers.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

The Peacemaker is often pleasantly and surprisingly good when it comes up on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    The Peacemaker is often pleasantly and surprisingly good when it comes up on TV.
    Ah, of the few starring-George-Clooney movies that don't lull me to sleep or make me scream in my head in pain.
    Last edited by agamemnus; 05-16-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Death Race was on last night. Entertaining action/hidden hero, car races in prison with an evil woman warden.

Another one over the weekend was Hidalgo----not sure what category that is, but I like that kind of gritty "action", plot and sub-plot. And horses.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    True Lies.
    Care to tango, baby!

Sneakers is about the best that has been mentioned thus far. Fun movie, and not too serious with it.

The Bourne movies are good actions/spy thrillers.

Ronin is one of the classics for action/spy. And has the best car chase of any movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Sneakers is about the best that has been mentioned thus far. Fun movie, and not too serious with it.

Ronin is one of the classics for action/spy. And has the best car chase of any movie.
    IDK, Taxi has excellent car chases too (but make sure you get the French version, not the American), and one of the Bourne films has a good one in, I think it was Moscow, but I might be wrong.

Hell, Taxi is a good action flick. It is light. funny, definitely not taking itself too serious. And pretty settings in Marseille!
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

So you claim you've seen all the movies mentioned in the thread, and more outrageously claim that you've seen all movies with a car chase in it?

I've seen Sneakers, but wouldn't place it too far up among the titles that I know off in this thread.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Not sure I know Taxi.

French film?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

True Lies? Bourne movies? Hunt for Red October?

All great ideas, but aren't we recommending action/spy movies to someone who's been in a self-induced movie coma for the past 20 years? It's just a little bit odd.

Taxi is indeed french, by luc besson. I find it a very amusing film!

L4yer Cake is one of my favorite movies.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

so tonight I'm craving action, good-humored stuff, comedy, ancient mysteries, hieroglyphs, sci-fi eg. humans kicking alien ass.

Any recommendations? esp. recent ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm craving some nice action goodness right now. Any ideas? '90s onwards, not too much cheese but def. not too serious and political. I like hidden heroes, navy seals, spies, that sorta thing go nuts

if all else fails I'll watch Scorpion King
    Watch Salt. And if you do, make sure you get the director's cut. It's much better.

Also, for humorous spy/ action movies:

MacGruber is hilarious in a very unsophisticated way. And Burn After Reading is hilarious in a much more sophisticated way.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

MacGruber's on the list, seen the other two and enjoyed them both

more! hit me! i'm seriously considering that wedding dress movie

The Librarian
    all 3

Now I'm depressed, its not on Netflix Streaming

Clear And Present Danger
    All those moments lost in time... like tears in the rain

Moving into the "good-humored stuff, comedy, ancient mysteries, hieroglyphs, sci-fi eg. humans kicking alien ass" type movies:

Fifth Element
    Beverley Hills Cop 1/2/3 for your Comedy Action
    Rush Hour 1/2/3
    Stargate
    Independence Day

Seen "Talior of Panama?" No alien-ass kicking, but it's a twist on the typical spy movie that ends up a lot more light-hearted than most spy movies. Instead of the spy saving the world and being interested in the greater good, he uses his skills to whore around and enrich himself at the expense of everyone else. I loved it and found it hilarious, but it's definitely a dark, perverse humor.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The Librarian
    all 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Moving into the "good-humored stuff, comedy, ancient mysteries, hieroglyphs, sci-fi eg. humans kicking alien ass" type movies:

Fifth Element
    Beverley Hills Cop 1/2/3 for your Comedy Action
    Rush Hour 1/2/3
    Stargate
    Independence Day
    Some of my favourite movies

Quote Originally Posted by xaero1 View Post
    Clear And Present Danger
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Seen "Talior of Panama?"
    I keep meaning to see these and always forget. Back on the list

Just saw "The Other Guys". Good buddy-cop movie, some of the best action-scenes I've seen in a long time (including an especially sweet montage that may as well be taken straight out of Cain's sunday nights), groovy soundtrack, first-class romance... it's got it all. It's a little uneven but worth the time =)