Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Abuse

Default Child Abuse

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-...ry?id=13611279

A California mother has lost custody of her 8-year-old daughter after she injected the girl with botox in preparation for a beauty pageant.

A person with knowledge of the situation told ABC News that the girl, Britney, is doing well but did not offer more detail on the ongoing investigation into the girl's mother, Kerry Campbell.

On Friday, the San Francisco Human Services Agency, launched an investigation into Campbell after she admitted to "Good Morning America" that she injected botox into her daughter's face to help her in beauty pageants.

"It's pretty unusual for a mom to be injecting an 8-year-old with botox and certainly is grounds for an investigation," said Trent Rohrer of the San Francisco Human Services Agency on Friday.

Campbell and daughter Britney, appeared on "Good Morning America" last week defending the 8-year-old pageant contestant's use of botox.

"I just, like, don't, like, think wrinkles are nice on little girls," Britney said.

Britney admitted it hurt to get the injections on her face, but said she was used to the pain.

The admission sparked an uproar online, in the medical community and by child advocates.

Campbell told ABC News that she does not believe she's endangering Britney's health and that her daughter asked for the injections. The mom is a part-time aesthetician and no stranger to botox herself, having done the treatment on her own face.

"Like I said, I do the botox myself. It's safe," she said.

"She had watched me do it before," said Campbell. "So when we first did it, she was fine with it."

Campbell wouldn't reveal who provides her with the Botox. She typically administers the Botox to Britney through a total of five shots, in three different locations on her face.

"The few times that we did it, it would lessen the lines," she said. "They wouldn't completely disappear, she's a kid. And we don't do so much to where it's going to make a big difference."

Experts Say Botox Not Right for 8-Year-Old Girl

ABC News' chief health and medical editor, Dr. Richard Besser, said that the Food and Drug Administration has not approved the use of botox on children for cosmetic purposes.

"As a doctor, if I'd seen this mother, I would be required to report her to protective services because it's maltreatment... Any doctor who would give a parent botox to administer to their children should lose their license…there's not a state where you don't need to be a licensed doctor or under direct supervision of a doctor to inject this," Besser said.

Besser said that botox is used to correct children who are cross-eyed or suffering from some neurological disorders, but not typically for cosmetic reasons.

"If you inject it in the face and it drifts to your throat, it can prevent you from swallowing. If it drifts to your breathing muscles..you can stop breathing. In a young child, if you're chronically using it on the face, it may actually change the shape of your face because your muscles interact with your bones to form what your face eventually looks like," Besser said.

Dermatologist Dr. Doris Day says the drug is generally safe, but she would never inject a minor.

"There's absolutely no reason to use it for cosmetic purposes in an 8-year-old child and so any risk is too much of a risk to take," Day said.

It wasn't just the medical community that was outraged. The ladies of "The View" tackled the subject on Thursday's show.

"This is the dumbest...momma I have ever seen in my life," Sherri Shepherd said.

Thousands of people shared their thoughts on the kiddie botox on ABCNews.com, Facebook and through tweets. In an ABCNews.com online poll, 97 percent of those who voted disapproved of botox for little girls.

"That is sick. Botox is a choice for adults, not kids," Laura Biering commented.

WTF?

I don't often agree with the hags on the View but seriously. Stupidest mother ever. I hope she has her child taken away permanently.

This is just the latest (and worst?) example of the juvenile pageant culture getting out of control.

Oh come on, it's not like she was spanking the kid, or destroying her education

but yeah this is pretty bad :-S makes you wonder how many of these kids are being mishandled by their parents.

Why are juvenile pageants and sports so incredibly important in the US?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I hope she has her child taken away permanently.
    Fortunately, your typically hyperbolic desires never come to pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Why are juvenile pageants and sports so incredibly important in the US?
    Arguably sports are also pretty damn important in some southern Yurp countries, but I do think there is something cultural in this pageant obsession. Probably has to do with how the parents see themselves and their changing/aging looks in a society that airbrushes women to eery plastic perfection in fashion magazines.

Yeh sports are obsessed over as much in yurp as the US - if not moreso, given the riots, stabbings and running battles between rival fans that has plagued european football this last four decades.

But pageants do seem a uniquely US obsession.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Fortunately, your typically hyperbolic desires never come to pass.
    He didn't say "fry her", progress?

I'm not sure someone who injects botulism into a child is fit to be a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I'm not sure someone who injects botulism into a child is fit to be a parent.
    The same could then be said for parents that force their children to remain in sports and hobbies even after the child wants to quit, parents who use non-standard or old fashion punishment, etc.
    The parent didn't see a problem with botox, and they extended that mindset towards their child. The line for them is simply in a different spot then what soceity is comfortable with.

This parent is the only mom this child knows. Destorying this family because the parent became a little over-zealous in their commitment to something is not why CPS exist; Florida's CPS actually has a motto of doing what they can to preserve the family. This nation has enough CPS horror stories as is. The parent here needs some rehabilitation involving beauty and pageants, some parental training; botox injections (depending on mindset) wouldn't alone make an unfit parent.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-17-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Injecting botulism into a minor for cosmetic reasons is illegal, any doctor who did so could lose their license.

Comparing that to sports, hobbies or legal punishments (or lack thereof) is inane.

Illegal botox injections alone do make someone unfit, however that doesn't mean that the child should be removed. Hence why I said "I'm not sure", because unfortunately the alternatives are often worse. However there is something seriously fucked up with that mother.

So we've got two issues here, legality and abuse

Injecting botulism into a minor for cosmetic reasons is illegal, any doctor who did so could lose their license.
    The legal implications of these aren't as black and white. Botox is legally used on children, and there are very few rules limiting away from a cosmetic reason.
    If any part about this is illegal currently, its the mother doing it herself.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Actually, the use of botox on children is not permitted except in very narrow circumstances.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    The legal implications of these aren't as black and white. Botox is legally used on children, and there are very few rules limiting away from a cosmetic reason.
    Yes they are black and white. Cosmetic botox for minors is illegal, there are limited reasons for medical reasons where the benefits outweigh the risks. This is not one of them
    If any part about this is illegal currently, its the mother doing it herself.
    Bovine manure.

"As a doctor, if I'd seen this mother, I would be required to report her to protective services because it's maltreatment... Any doctor who would give a parent botox to administer to their children should lose their license…there's not a state where you don't need to be a licensed doctor or under direct supervision of a doctor to inject this," Besser said.

You just quoted the doctor calling maltreatment because it was unsupervised to call bullshit on why I said it would be illegal (because it was done unsupervised)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Actually, the use of botox on children is not permitted except in very narrow circumstances.
    "While there are no laws that make administering Botox to children illegal."

"Doctor Tina Alster, a leading cosmetic dermatologist in the District, said while it’s not illegal to inject children with Botox, good sense would not lead her to do it. "

"The FDA does not recommend the use of cosmetic Botox for children younger than 18 years of age, and the Physicians Coalition for Injectable Safety (PCIS) does not recommend injecting teens with neurotoxins,"
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Any doctor who would give a parent botox to administer to their children should lose their license

You didn't shorten it enough. Here, let me try:
    give a parent botox to administer to their children

Its not the fact that child is getting botox, its the fact that the parent is the one doing it. The mother appears to know this as well, as she wouldn't name her source of the botox in the interview.

Also: the Food and Drug Administration has not approved the use of botox on children for cosmetic purposes.

Er. Okay so judging from the above quotes cosmetic use of botox on children, while not endorsed, is not illegal if administered by a doctor. Yes? We can all agree on this?

OG is correct about the mandate about CPS (DHHS up here). The idea is to aim for reunification unless the parents are truly non salvageable.

Yes mom is a dumbass about the botox. Kids needs to be protected and once (if) mom gets her head on straight, then they will be reunified.
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan Rath View Post
    OG is correct about the mandate about CPS (DHHS up here). The idea is to aim for reunification unless the parents are truly non salvageable.

Yes mom is a dumbass about the botox. Kids needs to be protected and once (if) mom gets her head on straight, then they will be reunified.
    Sounds fair and reasonable

The mom (sic) does need to get her head on straight though, thinks can't continue as before.

thinks can't continue as before.
    What're your thinks on pressuring kids too much eg. with sports, if we agree that botoxing kids (for cosmetic reasons) may be legal?

I don't agree from what's been said that botoxing kids is legal, I definitely don't think it should be.

I have no legal qualms within reason with pressuring kids regarding education/sports/hobbies.

If it's an MD giving that woman the botox, they could be brought up on ethics/malpractice charges by the AMA and have their license revoked.

(Plenty of "off-label" uses for meds are acceptable, but it's doubtful any pediatrician would say botox for kiddie pageants meets any medical necessity or standard.)

I hope this woman is tested for Munchausen-by-proxy syndrome. She seemed to delight in the interviews and news coverage.....

How do you "test" for Munchausen-by-proxy.

My nan had Munchausen-by-Poodle for a long time.

Münchausen syndrome by proxy (MSbP) is a label for a pattern of behavior in which care-givers deliberately exaggerate and/or fabricate and/or induce physical and/or psychological-behavioral-mental health problems in others.[1] The term is not officially recognized in latest Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 4th Ed., published by the American Psychiatric Association.[2][1][3] Münchausen syndrome by Proxy differs from Factitious Disorder by Proxy in that it alludes to the motive of such behaviour, insisting that it is to gain attention, sympathy or other psychological benefit.[4][5] Münchausen by proxy has been described by some as a form of extended child abuse.[6][7] The motivation is to assume the sick role by proxy.[8] It involves physical abuse and medical neglect.[9]
    Might need another DSM diagnosis for pageant or stage parents who use new med-tech to assume the role of the "sick" starlet by proxy?

I don't even understand how botox is supposed to help to enhance the looks of a girl that age? Wouldn't it be nice for young girls in the US if those peagants were just as illegal as selling your daughter for sex ?
    Congratulations America

Better still if insane parenting was illegal.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Better still if insane parenting was illegal.
    Hard to legislate though.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I don't even understand how botox is supposed to help to enhance the looks of a girl that age? Wouldn't it be nice for young girls in the US if those peagants were just as illegal as selling your daughter for sex ?
    I'm sure OG doesn't consider himself a Pimp for entering Scarlett into kiddie pageants.

Admittedly, I don't really understand the whole kiddie beauty pageant scene, or how parents or kids get sucked into it. I also don't really understand the Princess Principle for little girls, whether it's for a pageant or at home. Disney is about temporary fantasy and entertainment, not raising little girls to strive being the next fairy tale princess, Barbie doll, or Hollywood sex symbol.

I dunno, seems injecting your child with botox is a pretty good litmus test. Seriously, fucking botox? Also, shouldn't beauty contests of any kind treat cosmetic surgery the same way professional sports treat performance enhancing drugs?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come