Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Word

word: Parent

(Don't worry choob, teen years can be great fun, too.... )

Should is a good word. It is subjective to the max but used definitively all the time. I love it.

My kids are getting really fun. We ride roller coasters together, we backpack together, we garden together, we play more and more sophisticated games together, we study together, we like to try new foods together, we listen to music together, my son (7 years old still) likes to talk philosophy (seriously, he comes to me, as though it's something he's the first to think of: "dad, it seems like there just isn't any purpose for life." How can you not beam with pride at something like that???) He just found out who Hitler was a few weeks ago, and he's really been into all things military lately, so he was asking questions about him in a kind of admiring way, a 'bad boy' kind of admiration, like he has with Eminem (no, he doesn't listen to anything that's not pg and no I'm not jazzed about him liking hard core rap, but I'm trying to minimize the forbidden fruit effect). We talked quite a bit about that, to be sure he understood. Had to be careful though, I didn't want to freak him out or anything. Hitler sort of redefined bad, you know?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

<Needs new thread for parents going through major life changes along with their kids' maturational milestones. Sure, eventually they won't come to you first, to discuss things that seem revolutionary in their young minds, and ask you questions as if you're the Expert on Everything. Their peer groups and teachers will get on that fast enough, and you'll become last instead of first. But that's how it should be, unless you want to raise a mini-me. hey that rhymes! >

CONUNDRUM

Not really a crisis.... really just gushing. Its why the childless hate breeders.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Not really a crisis.... really just gushing. Its why the childless hate breeders.
    I am a breeder, and damn proud of it. My sisters were childless by choice, so it's ironic when they give me parental advice, or say emotionally loaded things to my kids regarding ageing, visitors in nursing homes, or relatives as heirs.

Word of the Day
    vertiginous

–adjective 1. whirling; spinning; rotary: vertiginous currents of air.
    2. affected with vertigo; dizzy.
    3. liable or threatening to cause vertigo: a vertiginous climb.
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

cartography - I love maps and it sounds nice.
    The Rules

Gruntled
    Such is Life...

I've always liked: oxymoron

atrophy is a cool word. It sounds and looks good. And its this universal description of what happens to something ordinarily dynamic or intended to be used when it is neglected.
    The Rules

Queen of the Oliphaunts Elanya Rodillia's Avatar
    Blepharospasm. Kinda fun to say, not particularly enjoyable to experience.

Please describe.
    The Rules

Queen of the Oliphaunts Elanya Rodillia's Avatar
    It's an eyelid twitch. Really annoying, but thankfully usually brief. I get them every now and then.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eye-twitching/MY00102

Antidisestablishmentarianism
    Such is Life...

Is that the same as anarchism? Or contrarianism?
    The Rules

Some official English, Dinglish words: Iceberg, Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Is that the same as anarchism? Or contrarianism?
    It was a pseudo-political-religious stance in 19th century England. They were opposed to the Disestablishmentarianists - that is they were opposed to those that wished to disestablish the Church of England.

My 6th grade English teacher taught me the word and it stuck with me all this time - Mr Nelson was a good teacher, apparently...
    Such is Life...

Pyromaniac! It sounds cool. I first heard the word in the 7th grade, after I set fire to the science lab with a match that wasn't quite cool enough to be in a wastebasket full of paper!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

Cymotrichous

-related to wavy hair

-Nat'l Spelling Bee winning word from a 14 yr old girl!

Klaxon is a good one. I like the KL combo....
    The Rules

Well then you might like:
    klein
    kleiner
    Kleider (Kleiderschrank, Kleiderbügel)
    Kleister
    Klingel
    Klo
    klauen (to steak)
    Klauen (claws)
    kleben
    Kloster

A well those are too ordinary, more interesting:
    Kleingeist.

In English, it is rare. None of those words make any sense to me - I can't hear them, I can't assign them meaning.
    The Rules

Kris Kringle
    Eine klein nacht musik

We have a lot of German surnames here....Klein, Kleindinst, Kleinfelter, Kling, Klepper, Kleiser, Klinek, Klunk, Klopfer.....

Irides

Plural of Iris. Both great words.

Ooo. I like Irides. Sounds like a goddes.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Eine klein nacht musik
    Eine kleine Nachtmusik

I know German is hard

In English, it is rare.
    Usually words written with 'k' in German are written with 'c' in English especially if it is the first letter.

Quote Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
    Eine kleine Nachtmusik

I know German is hard

Usually words written with 'k' in German are written with 'c' in English especially if it is the first letter.
    German is hard to write and spell correctly. No idea how to conjugate verbs or parse a sentence. But I can kinda sorta understand my son when he speaks in elementary German! We have fun with it. Sometimes my made-up words turn out to mean something phonetically. Or he says a word that sounds German but it's definitely not English....like shooken.

Maybe you should get him one of those:

Deutsches Verben-Glücksrad

das ist klokken gut