Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GENTLEMENS

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    A litre is mostly used as a measure of quantity, to get volume you'll have to consider the density too
    Whoops, yeah this is more correct...
    . . .

Hang on...

A litre is a unit of volume. A measure of quantity would be Mass, or the "Number of Moles" or a Geiger count (i.e an archiac rad) for example. And then to get said quantity measure you would need an appropriate density. Surely you of all would know, or am i missing something?

Trollin' like it's 2004, huh

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    milliliters...a measure of volume...
    You are so cute.

A litre is mostly used as a measure of quantity, to get volume you'll have to consider the density too
    Whoops, yeah this is more correcter...
    Fixed.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by icks View Post
    Hang on...

A litre is a unit of volume. A measure of quantity would be Mass, or the "Number of Moles" or a Geiger count (i.e an archiac rad) for example. And then to get a quantity measure you would need a density (obviously from a volume). Surely you of all would know, or am i missing something?
    That's why I said "mostly used"; we happen to live in a universe where water has nice properties and a sad corollary is that people have all sorts of misguided ideas on the inter-changeability of volume, quantity and mass.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

That's why I said "mostly used"; we happen to live in a universe where water has nice properties and a sad corollary is that people have all sorts of misguided ideas on the inter-changeability of volume, quantity and mass.
    "Nice" properties?

We're just lucky it floats. Of course it kills us when it freezes, but at least the oceans are wet on the bottom.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

So an idiot thread on pork pies turns into a discussion of molecular weight, perception of properties of water and what affects volume, quantity and mass.

You're all so CUTE!

yes you are yes you are yes you ARE!

*pats collective heads*

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    So an idiot thread on pork pies turns into a discussion of molecular weight, perception of properties of water and what affects volume, quantity and mass.

You're all so CUTE!

yes you are yes you are yes you ARE!

*pats collective heads*

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    I beg to differ, Nessus A litre is defined as 1dm³ - an exact measure of volume, density is not needed. Couple mass with density and you yield volume. For quantity and density to yield volume, you'd also need the atomic mass

A litre of mercury has the same volume as a litre of milk or molten steel
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Who's that? She's cute

Since I don't regularly use the metric system, when would a liter or milliliter be used as something other than a measure of volume and how would it appear as such?

@Khen well the problem here is that in reference to Coca Cola, in the U.S. the Imperial system is used to measure volumes, specifically of liquid in this case. Which is why I went out for my Coke in the first place as I knew that Britain would be selling it in a round mL amount where-as the US would be selling it in a round fl oz amount. So Steely gets his 500mL of soda, and I get my 591mL of soda...

...I do wish we'd switch. It'd take some learning but even the 3D programs I use are all base 10 in their measurements.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I beg to differ, Nessus A litre is defined as 1dm³ - an exact measure of volume, density is not needed. Couple mass with density and you yield volume. For quantity and density to yield volume, you'd also need the atomic mass

A litre of mercury has the same volume as a litre of milk or molten steel
    That is why I said "mostly used"; if I'm buying milk or soda I'm happy with their assumptions, but in commoner short-hand litre is used to indicate quantity over volume. In a lab, you're perfectly right.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Who's that? She's cute
    Lauren Graham, and she's unforgettable.

Since I don't regularly use the metric system, when would a liter or milliliter be used as something other than a measure of volume and how would it appear as such?
    If I buy a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke, they're assuming the liquid is NPT and so forth. The volume is shorthand for what I am getting, instead of buying 1.5 kilograms of the stuff

If I buy a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke, they're assuming the liquid is NPT and so forth. The volume is shorthand for what I am getting, instead of buying 1.5 kilograms of the stuff
    See that wouldn't even technically work here since we use such messed up measurements. I mean we have a measurement called a rod, 16.5 feet (had to look that crap up). Completely worthless...
    . . .

See that wouldn't even technically work here since we use such messed up measurements. I mean we have a measurement called a rod, 16.5 feet (had to look that crap up). Completely worthless...
    YOU HAVE THE FREEST MARKET ERGO THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO MEASURE EVERYTHING EVER HURF BURF

I hate imperial and don't understand it. The only imperial measurements I use are that I weigh myself in stones and pounds, drink beer and milk in pints and drive in miles. Everything else I use metric for.

Actually, since I don't go out much anymore I generally drink 440ml cans of beer now, rather than pints too.

Amusing, i was just about to post this:

Whoops, yeah this is more correct...
    Meh, it' subtleties like this, or rather my crap reading-between-the-lines, or rather just reading skills that i have the sense to notpost.

/Just had to make sure. Please excuse the perfectionist in me.
    Thinking Illusions did see Nessus's snipe at the general populace's ignorance, but looks i didn't misread after all. Or is it i did and so did everyone else?
    Last edited by icks; 02-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.

I hate imperial and don't understand it. The only imperial measurements I use are that I weigh myself in stones and pounds, drink beer and milk in pints and drive in miles. Everything else I use metric for.
    We don't use stones or pints. Well maybe with blood, but our products use a ridiculous mix of gallons, ounces, and litres. Yeah thats right, I can go out and buy a gallon of milk, 20 fl oz of soda, or get it in a 2 litre bottle. A litre of milk? Nope can't have that, you want a half gallon. Baking something? Use a cup.

It ridiculously appears to be based on averages. An inch is the average distance on a man's hand from the tip of his thumb to the first joint. A foot is self explanatory, the average length of a man's foot from tip of the toes to the end of the heel. Then we have the cup...pretty self explanatory there as well.
    . . .

We have milk in quarts (1/4 gallon) too. Thats how WIC counts it.

Who's that? She's cute
    Lauren Graham, and she's unforgettable.
    Meh too american-looking.

Too big.

If you wanna look at a Graham, you can't go wrong with ol' Heather ...

Pixie-like and cute as

_

Better

Audrey Tautou is someone who has been giving me the horn lately ...

Those dark eyes ...