Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro-life Horror

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    And...? I'm not debating Earthjoker. I'm debating Lewk's statement that movies shouldn't be anything other than entertainment, and should not include a message or lesson. Why am I debating this? Because I think its a stupid opinion, and one that goes against thousands of years of storytelling, not because I think he's trying to dictate what movies could/could not be seen.
    No, you were debating me debating Minx debating me debating Earthjoker.

Minx and Earthjoker were both claiming that Lewk wanted to control what content everyone was watching and was being made. I don't think Lewk wants to control that. I do think he has a very clear idea of what he does and doesn't want to consume, but I doubt he would ever say that his personal opinions should become the law of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    but I doubt he would ever say that his personal opinions should become the law of the land.
    Yes he does not advocate it be law, but he does advocate people voluntarily not ever making those types of movies.
    . . .

Minx and Earthjoker were both claiming that Lewk wanted to control what content everyone was watching and was being made. I don't think Lewk wants to control that.
    Oh I can watch whatever I want but the people that make the movies shouldn't produce them, so how can I watch them if they shouldn't have been produced?

But it's all OK as long as the big evil government isn't involved. How ridiculous is that?
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Yes he does not advocate it be law, but he does advocate people voluntarily not ever making those types of movies.
    And I'm sure you'd prefer it if people made television shows and movies that appealed to you. Hell, there's a thread in General Chat bemoaning the state of television. Everyone posting in that thread are basing their comments entirely on what they want to see.

Why is having an opinion on the type of media you want to consume a terrible thing?

And I'm sure you'd prefer it if people made television shows and movies that appealed to you.
    Yes, but I wouldn't want them to stop producing shows other people liked, even if I didn't like them, which is what Lewk is suggesting. If he is not suggesting this, then he is at least incapable of grasping that there are a large body of people who do want the media he doesn't like to be made.

Hell, there's a thread in General Chat bemoaning the state of television. Everyone posting in that thread are basing their comments entirely on what they want to see.
    I haven't read it in a while, so I wouldn't know.

Why is having an opinion on the type of media you want to consume a terrible thing?
    I wouldn't care as much if his opinion was that he doesn't like shows with messages or lessons in them, but instead he is stating that he'd rather these types of media not be made. This I do care about, because if under some fantastical circumstance this actually happened, it would affect myself and everyone else who likes what Lewk does not. I also find it inherently ignorant because he's ignoring how media has contained messages or lessons for thousands of years.
    . . .

Yes, but I wouldn't want them to stop producing shows other people liked, even if I didn't like them, which is what Lewk is suggesting. If he is not suggesting this, then he is at least incapable of grasping that there are a large body of people who do want the media he doesn't like to be made.
    So you'd like to see more quality reality television like Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer and less of the dregs of television with story-driven shows like Firefly?

So you'd like to see more quality reality television like Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer and less of the dregs of television with story-driven shows like Firefly?
    What?

I'm uncertain what is difficult to understand about this. There can be Show I Don't Like: Version 1, Show I Don't Like: Version 2, and Show I Don't Like: Version 3, I do not care about their existence. I am apathetic about them. I neither wish they were canceled, never made, or had spin-offs made. I do not wish their unmaking. I do not suggest people stop making them. Why? I don't care. I only start to care when they cancel Show I Do Like because people like Lewk convince a network that they should produce Show I Won't Like: Version 1. If they show Show I Do Like and Show I Won't Like: Version 1, I continue to not give a shit. Lewk's situation arises because he either does care, or thinks that the majority of people like and dislike the same things he does.
    . . .

What?

I'm uncertain what is difficult to understand about this. There can be Show I Don't Like: Version 1, Show I Don't Like: Version 2, and Show I Don't Like: Version 3, I do not care about their existence. I am apathetic about them. I neither wish they were canceled, never made, or had spin-offs made. I do not wish their unmaking. I do not suggest people stop making them. Why? I don't care. I only start to care when they cancel Show I Do Like because people like Lewk convince a network that they should produce Show I Won't Like: Version 1. If they show Show I Do Like and Show I Won't Like: Version 1, I continue to not give a shit. Lewk's situation arises because he either does care, or thinks that the majority of people like and dislike the same things he does.
    Movies and television production do not have infinite pools of resources to draw from. In a very real sense, media production on the professional level is a zero sum game. There are only so many channels, so many theater screens, and so much production time that can be spent creating content. If you want something other than reality television or mock documentaries about Sarah Palin, then by definition you do care about Show I Don't Like: Version 1, 2, and 3. If an infinite supply of movies and television could be produced simultaneously, sure, you might have a point. In the real world you vote and lobby for the movies and series you want to see produced by buying tickets and watching commercials, or not buying tickets/watching commercials.

Some people even write on message boards about how much they hate that SyFy features wrestling and Ghost Hunters.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 06-14-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Things I have done: Stopped watching a lot of TV. Thought a lot of what is on TV currently is crap. Called Ghost Hunters and Jersey Shore stupid, and poor television.

Things I have not done: Lobbied the government, or wrote the television networks to urge them to stop producing Jersey Shore, Ghost Hunters.
    . . .

Things I have done: Stopped watching a lot of TV. Thought a lot of what is on TV currently is crap. Called Ghost Hunters and Jersey Shore stupid, and poor television.

Things I have not done: Lobbied the government, or wrote the television networks to urge them to stop producing Jersey Shore, Ghost Hunters.
    Which means you and Lewk have done exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. The only difference being your motivations.

Lewk doesn't watch and enjoy movies that are clearly pushing an agenda. You don't watch television lacking substance and taste.

Yes, but I wouldn't want them to stop producing shows other people liked, even if I didn't like them, which is what Lewk is suggesting.

I wouldn't care as much if his opinion was that he doesn't like shows with messages or lessons in them, but instead he is stating that he'd rather these types of media not be made. This I do care about, because if under some fantastical circumstance this actually happened, it would affect myself and everyone else who likes what Lewk does not. I also find it inherently ignorant because he's ignoring how media has contained messages or lessons for thousands of years.
    Huh. I hadn't realized my firm opinion that broadcast TV needs to STOP with these stupid "reality" shows blanketing so much air time was so heinous.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I sure think they should stop with it, if it was up to me. Or more precisely, I think people should hate those shows, not watch them, and they should stop being made.

I also think Lewk's opinion is pretty damn stupid, but hey, he can watch the shows and films he likes, messageless as he wants. Althought I seriously think a lot of films and shows he loves do have messages, maybe he just doesn't realise it.

That said, I don't mind (in fact, I like) films that have a point, or a message, but if it's too in-your-face it can be pretty damn annoying.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!