Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vBulletin 4.1.4

Default vBulletin 4.1.4

Upgrade coming later today, when there aren't so many people around. One of the new features is an advanced text editor. I expect lots of breakage.

Initial upgrade complete. I've already spotted a couple problems with missing icons; working on those now.

One of the smart things I think Atard did was make the rich edit box optional in the quick reply box. I believe it sped-up loading time and reduced server load. Though the auto-save is pretty neat...

Okay, the missing icon issue appears to be fixed. I'm sure somebody'll complain about the color of the new quick reply box, but that's going to have to wait just a bit, unless you can trick Illusions into fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    One of the smart things I think Atard did was make the rich edit box optional in the quick reply box. I believe it sped-up loading time and reduced server load. Though the auto-save is pretty neat...
    That's doable, but I'd expect complaints about needing the extra mouse click.

edit: Illusions, if you do want to take a stab at fixing it yourself, editor.css is the file you're looking for.

On this one it may be worth getting feedback beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    On this one it may be worth getting feedback beyond me...
    You heard the man, people! Get feedbacking!

Okay, I quoted an article, but the text color posted as black. Hard to see against the blue background, but I can't seem to change it to white as an edit.

http://www.theworldforgotten.com/sho...ll=1#post82994

Did it for you. This is actually a common issue, likely unrelated to to the upgrade (though we should see if it happens more frequently). Basically your clipboard grabbed formatting information from your source website, and it wound up faithfully reproduced in the post. It probably doesn't help that the quick reply box is currently white.

The way to fix this is to highlight the text and click the second button from the left - the one with two A's and an x over it. This will remove any formatting attached to the text, such as font color.

Just fix the quick reply box. Please???

I don't mind clicking. I don't mind not clicking. So there's one vote for "frankly, I don't give a damn."

I do give a damn about huge bright white boxes, though. It's like primary colors, but even more painful.

Also. editing a post makes it show up as black text on a purple background, and the word wrap thing in the quick reply box is kind of weirdish, I noticed a minute ago when I was starting to reply to something and changed my mind.

Also, what's up with the autosaving? That's really weird, too.

I think that's it, for now.
    Last edited by littlelolligagged; 06-13-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Thanks. I didn't do the highlight part and tried the A text color oops

This white reply box is visually disturbing....

I am at this time not scheduled to work tomorrow. Due note the not scheduled part, instead of "Off" indicating that this could change in the future. If I am off, and today is not too hellish as to render me comatose tomorrow, I will spend some time looking at changing the color of the quick reply and advanced reply in Classic Blue. I have to balance it with other prior scheduled stuff, so I'm not sure how far along I will get. Just posting this mainly to assign myself time to this issue.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Just fix the quick reply box. Please???

I don't mind clicking. I don't mind not clicking. So there's one vote for "frankly, I don't give a damn."

I do give a damn about huge bright white boxes, though. It's like primary colors, but even more painful.

Also. editing a post makes it show up as black text on a purple background, and the word wrap thing in the quick reply box is kind of weirdish, I noticed a minute ago when I was starting to reply to something and changed my mind.

Also, what's up with the autosaving? That's really weird, too.

I think that's it, for now.
    Also, "restore auto-saved content?" How do I get rid of this auto-saved content that I didn't want, anyway. Will it come up every time I post in a thread if I type something and then change my mind about posting it? I do that, you know.

Sorry to be stupid about this.....but even quoting a previous post and adding it to an edit needs this highlight/remove format stuff?

Not very user-friendly. Too many steps.

Also haven't figured out this auto-save thing yet

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Sorry to be stupid about this.....but even quoting a previous post and adding it to an edit needs this highlight/remove format stuff?

Not very user-friendly. Too many steps.

Also haven't figured out this auto-save thing yet
    It shouldn't. It's not required for mine. It shouldn't come up unless the quoted user had formatting in their post. This part of the system hasn't actually changed as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It shouldn't. It's not required for mine. It shouldn't come up unless the quoted user had formatting in their post. This part of the system hasn't actually changed as far as I know.
    But it did. I used quote-reply, highlighted it, then tried to add it as an edit to one of my posts. Instead of double-posting, to add another post from minx (who'd posted from his tablet).

edit

http://www.theworldforgotten.com/sho...ll=1#post83044

That time, my reply was in black instead of white. I just don't get it.....

I'll try to look into it. Could you remind me what browser you use?

I'll try to look into it. Could you remind me what browser you use?
    Safari (5) on a mac.

Click reply. I thought this was what you wanted?

The old lag of the advanced editor seems to have been worked out (from what I saw earlier), but holy hell bring back some sort of quick reply box.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Agreed, the quick-reply box being right there without a click is definitely a big plus. Making people click is blech.

What Atard played with was having a plain-text quick reply box, which then had a button that allowed you to turn it into a richer text box. But as OG points out, that was several versions ago of VB. Like GMail and everyone else, they've probably figured out the latency issues.

It's back now. Color changes later. Dinner now.

No food until after you fix ittttttttttt!

This huge white box is really irritating. Please change it back to the same color of our chosen background?

This is turning out to be more complicated than I expected. The quick editor is a somewhat separate and fairly large component. Some of this involves image editing, which I don't really have the right tools for, so I may just have to leave this to Illusions.

Some of this involves image editing, which I don't really have the right tools for, so I may just have to leave this to Illusions.
    Send me a list and I shall see what I can do
    . . .

When not logged in the Recent Forum Posts don't show up on the home page. No idea how long its been like that.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Wraithy, if I change my mind about posting something it tries to stop me from leaving the page. Kill it!