Thread: The Terrifying Truth

Default The Terrifying Truth

....about Technology. About growing old....

In movies, on television, and in books, robots are stalking the land, scanning for human victims. The technology we depend on is going awry. Our civilization is going up in flames.
    As we consider the umpteenth round of cutting-edge cellphone upgrades, we feel a creeping unease settle over our shoulders. Dread drips from every new device that dances into our lives: newer, shinier, faster. This time in white.
    At some point, you probably stopped to wonder where all the pay phones had gone. You've been heard to say, "May I speak to a human, please?" Perhaps you've even contemplated the deeper questions, like just what in the hell does Twitter do?
    Viktor Koen

We think we're afraid of the technology. But we're really afraid of getting old.
    I turned 33 this year, plenty old enough to have grown weary of being bombarded by the new. For my part, I channeled my fear and worry into a novel called "Robopocalypse." The book is about, well… by the fourth or fifth syllable of the title, you should start to get the gist of the plot.
    "Robopocalypse" joins a proud tradition of techno-apocalyptic tales, stretching from high-flying Icarus, to Frankenstein's monster, and to many a giant radioactive creature who has crashed the streets of Tokyo. And then, of course, there's the Terminator.
    The fear of the never-ending onslaught of gizmos and gadgets is nothing new. The radio, the telephone, Facebook—each of these inventions changed the world. Each of them scared the heck out of an older generation. And each of them was invented by people who were in their 20s.
    Mark Zuckerberg didn't create Facebook for people with kids and mortgages. Technology is created by the young, for the young. The young revel in new gadgets with small, deft thumbs. They beg for them in acronym-laden speeches because OMG, you need this stuff to be cool IRL. Then they use them to take lewd pictures of themselves, even though this is obviously a very bad idea. They are the fearless ones.
    Why are the young able to thrive, tossing away instruction manuals and digging in with reckless abandon?

Thankfully, Jean Piaget, one of the first developmental psychologists, figured out part of this puzzle years ago.
    Piaget observed his own infants rapidly gaining simple skill sets related to manipulating objects in their environment. Skills like grabbing a Cheerio and stuffing it toward their mouth holes. These skills are the starting point for exploring a diverse and ever-changing world. Piaget called them schema.
    And a schema is designed to evolve. When exposed to some novel object, infants don't start over from scratch. They choose an existing schema and enact it. With a rather limited repertoire, you can expect infants to exercise the "grab and gum" schema quite often as they explore the world. (This is why you don't allow unsupervised babies near cat food.) This process of applying an existing schema to a new object is what Piaget called assimilation.
    For adults, assimilation is a perfectly natural response to new technology. And as a result, we often get it completely wrong. This is probably why I once caught my grandfather speaking into a computer mouse as if it were a ham-radio mic. I'm not above it. A few years ago I bought an old-fashioned manual typewriter to write love letters to my then-girlfriend (now-wife—thanks, 1950s technology!). But every time I sat down to use that old Olivetti, I got the oddest feeling. Something was weird. Amiss.
    Finally, I realized what the problem was: I wanted to flip its (nonexistent) on switch.
    It turns out that my schema regarding keyboards was formed in the 1980s. Every device from a Speak & Spell to an Apple IIe required a plug or batteries. How silly of me, I thought. And yet… the urge to turn on my typewriter didn't go away. I understood what it felt like to simply not get a technology.
    Young people don't feel this way. When Piaget's infant finds an object that doesn't fit into an existing schema, he or she will accommodate a schema to fit the new object. "Grab and gum" turns to "grab and flail wildly." It's this process of assimilating things we know and accommodating to things we don't that constitutes what Piaget called adaptation—and what the rest of us call learning. Everybody has the necessary equipment for adapting.
    Young people adapt quickly to the most absurd things. Consider the social network Foursquare, in which people not only willingly broadcast their location to the world but earn goofy virtual badges for doing so. My first impulse was to ignore Foursquare—for the rest of my life, if I have to.
    And that's the problem. As we get older, the process of adaptation slows way down. Unfortunately, we depend on alternating waves of assimilation and accommodation to adapt to a constantly changing world. For Piaget, this balance between what's in the mind and what's in the environment is called equilibrium.
    It's pretty obvious when equilibrium breaks down. For example, my grandmother has phone numbers taped to her cellphone. Having grown up with the Rolodex (a collection of numbers stored next to the phone), she doesn't quite grasp the concept of putting the numbers in the phone.
    Why are we so nostalgic about the technology we grew up with? Old people say things like: "This new technology is stupid. I liked (new, digital) technology X better when it was called (old, analog) technology Y. Why, back in my day…." Which leads inexorably to, "I just don't get it."
    Case in point: At a recent sci-fi conference, a woman told me about taking her Volkswagen bus deep into the Oregon forest. When the bus broke down, she and her husband were able to fix it with a coat hanger and a piece of wood. Her point was that nowadays you'd need a laptop computer.
    But guess what? They don't make old-school Volkswagen buses anymore. And all the muddy sticks in the world aren't going to fix your Nissan Leaf.
    Of course it's possible for old folks to adapt to new technological advances. People do it all the time. It only takes a grim determination to force yourself consciously to interact with each new wave of technology, no matter how insipid it seems. Only through grueling, hard work can you hope to understand or belong to the new world that is constantly (and rudely) emerging.
    "So what?" you might ask. Those young people can keep their precious Internets.
    I'm not saying you have to keep up. But at the moment you choose to stop growing, your world will begin to shrink. You'll be able to communicate with fewer people, especially the young. You will only see reruns. You will not understand how to pay for things. The outside world will become a frightening and unpredictable place.
    As they say, the only constant is change.
    Each new generation builds on the work of the previous one, gaining new perspective. New verbs are introduced. We Google strange and dangerous places. We tweet mindlessly to the cosmos. We Facebook our own grandmothers.
    I, for one, don't want to be left behind.
    My plan is to look for the signs that I'm starting to calcify. There will be a moment when I say to myself, "A 20-year-old billionaire has made up a nonsense word and I'm supposed to memorize it? Phooey."
    When those kinds of thoughts scrabble into my aging brain as I hold some magical new device in my vein-laced hands, I will bite down and swallow my confusion and anger. I will power through it, try to figure it out, and I'll even try to enjoy it.
    I will do my best to keep faith that with each passing day, technology still makes sense. It didn't used to be simpler. It wasn't better before. It's not useless.
    I'm just getting old, dammit.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1PiEEeSi3

Sounds great, right? People who don't embrace every new technology, like Twitter, are just twits.

Until the power goes out, and the barista behind the venti macho latte light can't figure out sales tax without their computer cash register.

Then one day you ask your kid to add to the grocery list, and their first move is to look at their smart phone. Damn, where's the grocery list, isn't there an app for that? You mean it's written on paper? Like, written? Can I make an edit and print it out? Moooommm you are so ancient!

Shouldn't the coupons all be synched with my smart phone? Wait, what do I do if my phone is dead, or the grocery store's computers are down? Why are you confusing me and making me write and think.....and do Math in my head?
    Last edited by GGT; 06-19-2011 at 09:54 AM.

I love technology, up to a point. Some of you might remember the "smart phone" incident a year or so ago, when Verizon thought they were being nice by upgrading my phone. I never did figure out how to plug it in to charge! Now however, I work The Kid's iPhone quite calmly! Not saying I especially want an iPhone, but at least I know how to run one!

GGT and I grew up in a time when a phone was a big, black boxy thing that hung on the wall in the living room. It was the only phone in the house. It had a rotary dial, and 7 other households on the line! You actually had to *gasp* wait for others to hang up before you could make a call! And you tried to limit your calls to a certain time, so that others could use the line. I think I was 12 or 13 when we got a private line. It would have been cheaper to have still been on a party line (3 or 4 other households) but Dad thought we deserved a private one. At the same time, Dad put an extension in my bedroom! It was red, kinda boxy looking, and had a rotary dial.

In that same time frame, a computer was the size of my apartment (or bigger) and was a mystery to most ordinary people. I remember buying a TRS-80 for my husband in 1982! There was no such thing as the internet yet. Since that time, computers have gotten smaller and much faster, and now allow us to connect with people all over the world!

I have it all figured out tho! I now have a pocket-sized computer that allows me to make phone calls on it!
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

And when the power goes out, or there are rolling black-outs, or hackers mess up the "smart phone" computers, I'll still have that heavy black phone with rotary dial and curly cord that works.

More importantly, my kids won't be nimbies wondering about what to do.

That's one of those things, GGT! I can happily curl up with a book and enjoy the peace that comes with not having a land line phone. I can shut the cell off, or screen my calls easier, if I want to. So many people have forgotten (or never new) how to amuse themselves with no TV, computer, or phone of any kind. I can also survive without power for a while, but I hate that! (Another story all together.)
    I don't have a problem with authority....I just don't like being told what to do!Remember, the toes you step on today may be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!RIP Fluffy! 01-07-09 I'm so sorry Fluffster! People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life! My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!The nice part about living in a small town: When you don't know what you're doing, someone else always does!
    Atari bullshit refugee!!

This was a very good read, thanks

My mum always gets all anxious and flustered whenever I attempt to introduce some new sort of technology to her, esp. new software. She says that it really bothers her, that she just doesn't get it, that she's getting older. At the same time, she has, over the past few years, become a master of online communication, dominated cellphones both good and bad, learned to use a lot of software for a lot of different purposes, embraced the digital video camera (although she says digital photo still frustrates her), digitized all her old photos, etc etc.

It always works out. It'd be a lot easier for her if she could get over the nagging fear that the machine will explode if she presses the wrong button. We both know it'd never explode, but it's hard to shake the fear of the uncertain and the expensive.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

pffft. Land line phones have ringers we can turn off (ignore), or divert to answering machines (screen or delay). No idea why people pay extra for caller ID.

It's not so much about people not knowing how to "amuse" themselves without these things, but not knowing how to function or survive without these things. We're talking about a generation that uses their cell phones as flash lights....

"Grab and gum" turns to "grab and flail wildly."

It's pretty obvious when equilibrium breaks down. For example, my grandmother has phone numbers taped to her cellphone. Having grown up with the Rolodex (a collection of numbers stored next to the phone), she doesn't quite grasp the concept of putting the numbers in the phone.

Why are we so nostalgic about the technology we grew up with? Old people say things like: "This new technology is stupid. I liked (new, digital) technology X better when it was called (old, analog) technology Y. Why, back in my day…." Which leads inexorably to, "I just don't get it."

Oh, we "get it". We just may not accept the value of every new tool designed to replace communication or connection, and be expected to pay for them. His grandma wasn't hooked on her old fashioned rolodex, as much as she realized every few months some cell phone company wanted her to buy a new phone and service package, and might lose her valuable phone numbers with each transaction.

Granny wasn't just being "nostalgic" for the good old days, she was protecting connections to people that mattered to her. What she "doesn't get" is how young people would place so much trust in computers or technology who don't give a rat's ass about things that matter to us personally or intimately.

Stop and think about that a minute. All your computer and smart phone date is hacked, frozen, stolen, dead. Your electric grid is in black-out or brown-out. Have you written down important names, addresses, phone numbers?

Well even though I've grown up having 'assimilated' or 'accepted' all these new advancements as they came, such as gaming consoles, computers, mobile phones and the likes, there are certain aspects of the 'old way' that even I can't shrug off. For example, when ever I start an assignment/homework (even if it's programming) I always start by writing it down on paper. It's not the same if I open up Word and start typing, I can't concentrate/think as well as I can when I have a piece of paper before me. Even studying or researching, I'll get the information that I need off online (as well as books), print it out and write out all the important points. I find it challenging to sit by my computer and write down all the information I need. But once I've gathered all that information, once it's all on paper and I know what to do, I can easily bring it all together in Word or wherever.

I only just got my first smartphone 2 months ago, and whilst my Nokia of 5 years was serving me just fine (well the battery was starting to play up), I figured having such a phone would be rather handy and it has proven to be, but I could still do without it.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Sounds great, right? People who don't embrace every new technology, like Twitter, are just twits.

Until the power goes out, and the barista behind the venti macho latte light can't figure out sales tax without their computer cash register.

Then one day you ask your kid to add to the grocery list, and their first move is to look at their smart phone. Damn, where's the grocery list, isn't there an app for that? You mean it's written on paper? Like, written? Can I make an edit and print it out? Moooommm you are so ancient!

Shouldn't the coupons all be synched with my smart phone? Wait, what do I do if my phone is dead, or the grocery store's computers are down? Why are you confusing me and making me write and think.....and do Math in my head?
    Eh, just because I do use my phone for grocery lists (it's dead easy, if the recipe's from the same app, one click and everything is on the list), doesn't mean I can't write it down. You make young people sound like retards who can't even write. Just because we choose to do things easier doesn't mean we can't do it the other way.

And when the power goes out, or there are rolling black-outs, or hackers mess up the "smart phone" computers, I'll still have that heavy black phone with rotary dial and curly cord that works.

More importantly, my kids won't be nimbies wondering about what to do.
    If they hack the phone system, or you have a good blackout, the phone centrals will be down too

pffft. Land line phones have ringers we can turn off (ignore), or divert to answering machines (screen or delay). No idea why people pay extra for caller ID.

It's not so much about people not knowing how to "amuse" themselves without these things, but not knowing how to function or survive without these things. We're talking about a generation that uses their cell phones as flash lights....
    Again, the same mistake you make - jsut because we use it doesn't mean we can't survive without it. What's wrong with using a cell phone as a flashlight? It's easy, convenient, and you have it with you. Would you prefer me carrying an extra flashlight? Hell, I only have a maglite so that would be a bit annoying.

Cell phones are also an improvement over landlines, I don't really have a fixed location but ~3 locations where I often am, plus traveling inbetween, so reaching me is a lot easier with a cell phone. And one of my friends went without a cell phone for a long while (it was broken and he was broke), and he still survived, though I know it's hard for you to imagine that a young person can manage that.

And what if you lose your address book? Also all gone. Or someone breaks in and steals it? Or your house burns down with your address book in it? At least I have 4 backups of my contacts list, both on and offline. I hated it when I lost business cards or written phone numbers. I have heard more stories about people not being able to find important numbers with written contact lists than digital ones.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Well even though I've grown up having 'assimilated' or 'accepted' all these new advancements as they came, such as gaming consoles, computers, mobile phones and the likes, there are certain aspects of the 'old way' that even I can't shrug off. For example, when ever I start an assignment/homework (even if it's programming) I always start by writing it down on paper. It's not the same if I open up Word and start typing, I can't concentrate/think as well as I can when I have a piece of paper before me. Even studying or researching, I'll get the information that I need off online (as well as books), print it out and write out all the important points. I find it challenging to sit by my computer and write down all the information I need. But once I've gathered all that information, once it's all on paper and I know what to do, I can easily bring it all together in Word or wherever.

I only just got my first smartphone 2 months ago, and whilst my Nokia of 5 years was serving me just fine (well the battery was starting to play up), I figured having such a phone would be rather handy and it has proven to be, but I could still do without it.

Nice to see "young'ens" step forward and admit that paper to pencil has its merits. Or that sometimes the computer is simply a tool to record or display our thoughts, but not necessarily the genesis of our thoughts.

Or that sometimes paper and pencil is simply a tool to record or display our thoughts, but not necessarily the genesis of our thoughts.
    ca. 10,000 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Eh, just because I do use my phone for grocery lists (it's dead easy, if the recipe's from the same app, one click and everything is on the list), doesn't mean I can't write it down. You make young people sound like retards who can't even write. Just because we choose to do things easier doesn't mean we can't do it the other way.

If they hack the phone system, or you have a good blackout, the phone centrals will be down too

Again, the same mistake you make - jsut because we use it doesn't mean we can't survive without it. What's wrong with using a cell phone as a flashlight? It's easy, convenient, and you have it with you. Would you prefer me carrying an extra flashlight? Hell, I only have a maglite so that would be a bit annoying.

Cell phones are also an improvement over landlines, I don't really have a fixed location but ~3 locations where I often am, plus traveling inbetween, so reaching me is a lot easier with a cell phone. And one of my friends went without a cell phone for a long while (it was broken and he was broke), and he still survived, though I know it's hard for you to imagine that a young person can manage that.

And what if you lose your address book? Also all gone. Or someone breaks in and steals it? Or your house burns down with your address book in it? At least I have 4 backups of my contacts list, both on and offline. I hated it when I lost business cards or written phone numbers. I have heard more stories about people not being able to find important numbers with written contact lists than digital ones.
    Don't take it personally, Flixy. Think of it more like a comment on American idiocy seen every day. HS grads who can't make change or figure tips unless a computer does it for them. Same group too stupid to follow floor path lights in a movie theater. Young kids who can't find their way through a grocery store with a list and a budget....

Not trying to make all young people sound like retards, as much as lamenting how many functional illiterates we DO have in the US.

Well even though I've grown up having 'assimilated' or 'accepted' all these new advancements as they came, such as gaming consoles, computers, mobile phones and the likes, there are certain aspects of the 'old way' that even I can't shrug off. For example, when ever I start an assignment/homework (even if it's programming) I always start by writing it down on paper. It's not the same if I open up Word and start typing, I can't concentrate/think as well as I can when I have a piece of paper before me. Even studying or researching, I'll get the information that I need off online (as well as books), print it out and write out all the important points. I find it challenging to sit by my computer and write down all the information I need. But once I've gathered all that information, once it's all on paper and I know what to do, I can easily bring it all together in Word or wherever. And when I write an essay or something on my laptop, I first break it down on paper, get the structure, key points I want to include, and only then I start typing. And I can concentrate better on a book than on an ebook.

Yeah, I still do those things on paper too. Sketching/scribbling is a nice extra on paper too I have had a smartphone for a few years though, and it's really useful, sometimes more than other times. A few weeks ago I did production for a short film, and it was a definite bonus there to be reachable and online pretty much anywhere, especially on the road.

Nice to see "young'ens" step forward and admit that paper to pencil has its merits. Or that sometimes the computer is simply a tool to record or display our thoughts, but not necessarily the genesis of our thoughts.
    I think it depends from person to person. For instance I know a guy in his late 20's, and he carries an iPad around with him everwhere, he writes down all his notes on it, does all his assignments, literally everything (along with his laptop). I've seen how he does it all and I think it's awesome but I can't see myself relying on technology to such a level. But I do have a random Word document on my laptop where when I get into the mood for it, I'll write down some of my thoughts, sort of like a journal, because it's much faster obviously than writing it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Yeah, I still do those things on paper too. Sketching/scribbling is a nice extra on paper too I have had a smartphone for a few years though, and it's really useful, sometimes more than other times. A few weeks ago I did production for a short film, and it was a definite bonus there to be reachable and online pretty much anywhere, especially on the road.
    I imagine that if I had grown up with a greater 'computer presense' around me, that I'd be more inclined to start my homework on a computer, but I don't mind the whole paper thing. As for smartphones, I wasn't immediately drawn to them when they started to become mainstream. For me I figured it was just another device to distract me, waste time on, and the likes. But since my old phones battery was starting to go, I figured I'd try one out and I'm glad I did. It hasn't proved to be a distraction or a time waster, and it's great to have by you if you need to access the internet when a computer isn't around, and you don't want to pay for an internet cafe. I got one running the Android OS and some of the apps I've downloaded are pretty cool, although I still havent 'immersed' myself in it all yet. It's gotten me interested in app development though, which I'm definitely going to look into down the track.

Don't forget to check out custom roms and the xda developer forums!

I think it depends from person to person.
    Absolutely. Practically speaking, we've had lots of power outages lasting several hours or days. Doesn't mean we can't get to the store to buy bread or carrots, but the young clerks have no idea what to do. The managers can't figure out what to do either....should they bypass the computer-sensor doors and let shoppers come in? Sounds like a good idea if the meat and milk coolers may soon mean thousands of dollars of losses in spoilt food, right?

But neither the managers or clerks can function without electronics. They don't even have a back-up hard copy paper ticket/receipt system. They just shut down, hang around looking perplexed, and wait for the electric grid to kick in again.

In a PA winter that can mean several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Bwahaha, lovely. The people over at XDA are like Linux-folks in general, completely unable to break things down. They are like human computers working on commands. Either it is recognized and triggers the appropriate action, or it's and completely ignored. The dreading scenario of normal computer users going there is disturbing, as they're really among the most inflexible people I know.

My dad (in his 50s) is not too old for technology. He is the kind that prefers to stick with Internet Explorer and Windows XP though, yet he can re-install an operative system, which I'm proud of! The thing nagging me is his pride about electronic devices in general. I probably overtook his computer knowledge at age 14 or so, but it's only recently that he has actively transferred tasks related to computers for me to handle. He also does a lot of spontaneous purchases, like the Nokia smartphone he bought last year. It was kinda stupid as the OS was kinda experimental and directed at coders, aside from being a... Nokia. He still swears to use it today, but is evidently extremely annoyed with it on a daily basis.
    Tomorrow is like an empty canvas that extends endlessly, what should I sketch on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I'm a bit too lazy to find out what's good and what's not, and since my phone, well, works, I'm a bit too lazy and possibly not tech savvy enough to start tweaking it.

tsk, Flixy already sounds like an old fuddy duddy. Content with things that work.

tsk, Flixy already sounds like an old fuddy duddy. Content with things that work.
    More like lazy youth, I want someone else to make it work for me

We're talking about a generation that uses their cell phones as flash lights....
    All of a sudden a wayward time traveling caveman capable of English speech looks upon this sight and states "Look, a generation that uses their portable fire starters as sun light!"...

Not trying to make all young people sound like retards, as much as lamenting how many functional illiterates we DO have in the US.
    It cuts both ways.
    . . .

I really don't get the flashlight thing. I use my cellphone as a flashlight every other day, it's one of the most useful features. The screen is usually bright enough but often I use the actual flash diode thing. Most practical

My opinion about this has been sent to all of you by way of stagecoach.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

....about Technology. About growing old....

In movies, on television, and in books, robots are stalking the land, scanning for human victims. The technology we depend on is going awry. Our civilization is going up in flames. As we consider the umpteenth round of cutting-edge cellphone upgrades, we feel a creeping unease settle over our shoulders. Dread drips from every new device that dances into our lives: newer, shinier, faster. This time in white. At some point, you probably stopped to wonder where all the pay phones had gone. You've been heard to say, "May I speak to a human, please?" Perhaps you've even contemplated the deeper questions, like just what in the hell does Twitter do?
    Viktor Koen

We think we're afraid of the technology. But we're really afraid of getting old.

I turned 33 this year, plenty old enough to have grown weary of being bombarded by the new. For my part, I channeled my fear and worry into a novel called "Robopocalypse." The book is about, well… by the fourth or fifth syllable of the title, you should start to get the gist of the plot. "Robopocalypse" joins a proud tradition of techno-apocalyptic tales, stretching from high-flying Icarus, to Frankenstein's monster, and to many a giant radioactive creature who has crashed the streets of Tokyo. And then, of course, there's the Terminator. The fear of the never-ending onslaught of gizmos and gadgets is nothing new. The radio, the telephone, Facebook—each of these inventions changed the world. Each of them scared the heck out of an older generation. And each of them was invented by people who were in their 20s.

Mark Zuckerberg didn't create Facebook for people with kids and mortgages. Technology is created by the young, for the young. The young revel in new gadgets with small, deft thumbs. They beg for them in acronym-laden speeches because OMG, you need this stuff to be cool IRL. Then they use them to take lewd pictures of themselves, even though this is obviously a very bad idea. They are the fearless ones.

Why are the young able to thrive, tossing away instruction manuals and digging in with reckless abandon? Thankfully, Jean Piaget, one of the first developmental psychologists, figured out part of this puzzle years ago. Piaget observed his own infants rapidly gaining simple skill sets related to manipulating objects in their environment. Skills like grabbing a Cheerio and stuffing it toward their mouth holes. These skills are the starting point for exploring a diverse and ever-changing world. Piaget called them schema.

And a schema is designed to evolve. When exposed to some novel object, infants don't start over from scratch. They choose an existing schema and enact it. With a rather limited repertoire, you can expect infants to exercise the "grab and gum" schema quite often as they explore the world. (This is why you don't allow unsupervised babies near cat food.) This process of applying an existing schema to a new object is what Piaget called assimilation.

For adults, assimilation is a perfectly natural response to new technology. And as a result, we often get it completely wrong. This is probably why I once caught my grandfather speaking into a computer mouse as if it were a ham-radio mic. I'm not above it. A few years ago I bought an old-fashioned manual typewriter to write love letters to my then-girlfriend (now-wife—thanks, 1950s technology!). But every time I sat down to use that old Olivetti, I got the oddest feeling. Something was weird. Amiss. Finally, I realized what the problem was: I wanted to flip its (nonexistent) on switch.

It turns out that my schema regarding keyboards was formed in the 1980s. Every device from a Speak & Spell to an Apple IIe required a plug or batteries. How silly of me, I thought. And yet… the urge to turn on my typewriter didn't go away. I understood what it felt like to simply not get a technology. Young people don't feel this way. When Piaget's infant finds an object that doesn't fit into an existing schema, he or she will accommodate a schema to fit the new object. "Grab and gum" turns to "grab and flail wildly." It's this process of assimilating things we know and accommodating to things we don't that constitutes what Piaget called adaptation—and what the rest of us call learning. Everybody has the necessary equipment for adapting.

Young people adapt quickly to the most absurd things. Consider the social network Foursquare, in which people not only willingly broadcast their location to the world but earn goofy virtual badges for doing so. My first impulse was to ignore Foursquare—for the rest of my life, if I have to.

And that's the problem. As we get older, the process of adaptation slows way down. Unfortunately, we depend on alternating waves of assimilation and accommodation to adapt to a constantly changing world. For Piaget, this balance between what's in the mind and what's in the environment is called equilibrium. It's pretty obvious when equilibrium breaks down. For example, my grandmother has phone numbers taped to her cellphone. Having grown up with the Rolodex (a collection of numbers stored next to the phone), she doesn't quite grasp the concept of putting the numbers in the phone.

Case in point: At a recent sci-fi conference, a woman told me about taking her Volkswagen bus deep into the Oregon forest. When the bus broke down, she and her husband were able to fix it with a coat hanger and a piece of wood. Her point was that nowadays you'd need a laptop computer. But guess what? They don't make old-school Volkswagen buses anymore. And all the muddy sticks in the world aren't going to fix your Nissan Leaf.

Of course it's possible for old folks to adapt to new technological advances. People do it all the time. It only takes a grim determination to force yourself consciously to interact with each new wave of technology, no matter how insipid it seems. Only through grueling, hard work can you hope to understand or belong to the new world that is constantly (and rudely) emerging.

"So what?" you might ask. Those young people can keep their precious Internets.

I'm not saying you have to keep up. But at the moment you choose to stop growing, your world will begin to shrink. You'll be able to communicate with fewer people, especially the young. You will only see reruns. You will not understand how to pay for things. The outside world will become a frightening and unpredictable place. As they say, the only constant is change. Each new generation builds on the work of the previous one, gaining new perspective. New verbs are introduced. We Google strange and dangerous places. We tweet mindlessly to the cosmos. We Facebook our own grandmothers.

I, for one, don't want to be left behind. My plan is to look for the signs that I'm starting to calcify. There will be a moment when I say to myself, "A 20-year-old billionaire has made up a nonsense word and I'm supposed to memorize it? Phooey."

When those kinds of thoughts scrabble into my aging brain as I hold some magical new device in my vein-laced hands, I will bite down and swallow my confusion and anger. I will power through it, try to figure it out, and I'll even try to enjoy it. I will do my best to keep faith that with each passing day, technology still makes sense. It didn't used to be simpler. It wasn't better before. It's not useless. I'm just getting old, dammit.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...#ixzz1PiEEeSi3
    fixed
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    My opinion about this has been sent to all of you by way of stagecoach.
    Or carrier pigeon!

Remember now, don't use your cell phone as a flash light in a movie theatre.