Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweet deals

Default Sweet deals

Over at Atari I would usually post these in whatever subforum it related most to, but here I think I'll get a thread going on it. Think I've seen enough side remarks from other deal hunters that I don't have to worry about talking to myself...

Instead of posting "watch these sites" I'm going to keep it to actual deals for now.
    To start us off:

Halo 3: Legendary Edition Xbox 360 Game
    $29.99 + $4.99 shipping.

Less than half what Amazon is asking, and only a few dollars more than what Walmart wants for just the game.

Wet
    $19.99 + $2.99

Game seems to be one of those love it or hate it experiences, but thats a crazy cheap price for a game thats still slightly new. Amazon is still asking over $55.
    Scored a 70 on Metacritic

Any particular reason for advertising stuff like this?
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Pretty sure I covered that in the first post

Any good reasons for advertising stuff like this?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    Any particular reason for advertising stuff like this?
    I'm quite happy to have OG do deal aggregating for us. I approve of this thread...
    . . .

No one gives a shit about the cool deals OG finds. I mean, hell, I'd assume everyone here is intelligent enough to find the best price on whatever it is they want to find, anyway.

SHUT UP ILLUSIONS!

'Merikan deals for 'Merikans.

Most of these are short term deals. I hope everyone still remembers how Froogle still works, even with how limited it is and how dated the listed prices are.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    'Merikan deals for 'Merikans.
    Then contribute some from over the pond

If we had a game subforum, I bet these wouldn't be bothering Lolli so much...

I'm pretty sure no one (but Illusions) actually gives a rat's ass about your "deals."

I thought the thread was stupid enough to begin with, but figured when no one showed any interest you'd drop the idea. Then you bump it again with something equally stupid.

Can 'Merikans get sweet deals on merkins?
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

I have to wonder how this thread existing can piss people off, its not like it forces you to open it and read it, or takes up any considerable bandwidth, or exists in such a manner that you can't avoid it...really now...raging over this being here is pretty stupid...

So what, the threads not for you, so fucking skip it, and don't read it. Damn...
    . . .

I thought the thread was stupid enough to begin with, but figured when no one showed any interest you'd drop the idea. Then you bump it again with something equally stupid.
    I haven't seen any double posting rules yet, and even then I'm still giving a days wait. Library is entering its slow period now (thanks FCAT!) so I'll be able to keep this going for a few months til we can decide if this forum is going anywhere.

Still need to make that baby thread too, but I can't access most of my pictures from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of View Post
    Can 'Merikans get sweet deals on merkins?
    Merkins ...

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I have to wonder how this thread existing can piss people off, its not like it forces you to open it and read it, or takes up any considerable bandwidth, or exists in such a manner that you can't avoid it...really now...raging over this being here is pretty stupid...

So what, the threads not for you, so fucking skip it, and don't read it. Damn...
    You're right in that posts are a renewable resource, but a forum is but a sum of its threads, and I don't see why saying useless and annoying threads are bad, is bad.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You're right in that posts are a renewable resource, but a forum is but a sum of its threads, and I don't see why saying useless and annoying threads are bad, is bad.
    Subjective. I don't really have the time or initiative to go scouring the internet for deals on stuff I might want, and even though it hasn't been useful to me yet, allowing OG to act as a poster of cheap stuff may be useful to myself in the future. I don't find Lolli's thread on Lost to be particularly useful to myself, but I'm not complaining its there. I just skip reading it.
    . . .

I mean, I could make a thread listing the bizarre things I have heard listening to Pokemon videos. This would probably be more entertaining than this thread is for everyone, but it is also rather spammy. So I'll just torture the poor people in IRC with them instead.

Subjective. I don't really have the time or initiative to go scouring the internet for deals on stuff I might want, and even though it hasn't been useful to me yet, allowing OG to act as a poster of cheap stuff may be useful to myself in the future. I don't find Lolli's thread on Lost to be particularly useful to myself, but I'm not complaining its there. I just skip reading it.
    I guess it comes down to what we want to do in our leisure time, which is when at least I tend to browse forums and other Internet stuff. Discussing popular culture is certainly one of those things, and while I don't watch shows like, say, Dexter, I can definitely see why and how a thread on that would be fun for the people posting in it.

This is just paraphrasing ads you saw. I see the utilitarian argument, but this forum isn't about someone doing your homework for you, and it isn't about someone doing your shopping research for you. IMO. That's not what I looked for in the CC, and not what I'd want here. Maybe the majority disagrees, and want ad threads.

@ Lolli: This thread wasn't meant to be entertaining. I also am unsure of how you can judge its usefulness since its structure would just imply a list of things, and not any actual discussion going on. Like the picture thread. Except instead of nice pictures...deals on stuff...

I guess it comes down to what we want to do in our leisure time, which is when at least I tend to browse forums and other Internet stuff. Discussing popular culture is certainly one of those things, and while I don't watch shows like, say, Dexter, I can definitely see why and how a thread on that would be fun for the people posting in it.

This is just paraphrasing ads you saw. I see the utilitarian argument, but this forum isn't about someone doing your homework for you, and it isn't about someone doing your shopping research for you. IMO. That's not what I looked for in the CC, and not what I'd want here. Maybe the majority disagrees, and want ad threads.
    This is fair. IMHO I have no way to gauge how much this thread is irritating or helping people so my bias leans towards allowing it to stay, out of self-interest, however if it is hampering development of this particular sub-forum, then I agree that it should probably go.
    . . .

And anyway the dog-piling is more about the posting culture rather than the thread per say

If I posted a dumb thread and people told me so, I'd at least know people didn't want that stuff in their forum

It doesn't have to be a personal attack

Of course CC baggage means that we're pretty vitriolic by default

What, we're unable to use search engines when shopping for games?

Spin it let's begin it. Angel_Mapper's Avatar
    Ah too bad this wasn't posted last week, they had a Steam sale of Psychonauts for $2. I'd never played it but had heard great things about it, and I didn't realize it was on Steam until the sale. I'll be playing through it one of these weekends soon.
    Angel Mapper - Prometheus

To have said goodbye to things!

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    What, we're unable to use search engines when shopping for games?

Do you buy everything the moment you want it? No? Do you then search each and every day after that to see if there is a deal on it? No again? Would you like to purchase it when its at its cheapest? Yes? Will this possibly occur during a limited time promotion that you might not hear about because you're not actively looking for it all the time? Yes?

. . .

This thread proved useful for me already. Please lay off, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    This thread proved useful for me already. Please lay off, people.
    Go wank with sandpaper already.

Last time I checked, there was no rule against voicing displeasure. I did. I wasn't the only one.

Is this amount of attitude actually necessary?
    . . .

Is this amount of attitude actually necessary?

Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/
    Sands Of Time for 10 bucks, Freespace 2 for 6, Fallout 1 and 2 for 6, Farcry for 10, and Beyond Good And Evil for 10.

Ok, thread's over!
    I enjoy blank walls.

GOG is also 100% DRM free. Purchases come with wallpapers, pdf instruction manuals, icons, and different extras here and there.
    No DRM alone makes it the best distributor.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-04-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Last time I checked, there was no rule against voicing displeasure. I did. I wasn't the only one.
    You can voice whatever you want, but you claimed no one gives a fuck about this thread/deals, and I just thought I'd mention that I for one, do.
    I also never said you were the only one, so do relax a little...